PDA

View Full Version : How to load a Campaign on a New Computer?

Snunners
September 23rd, 2019, 16:39
I've been running a Star Finder campaign as the GM with some friends for about a year. I recently got a new computer and need to load the campaign up, however, I cannot figure out how to load all of the data. I searched the FAQs and found a very short post:

"First, you will need to download the most current installer from the Downloads section of the website. Then, locate your license key(s). If you have lost your license key, then check the appropriate FAQ. Next, run the installer using your license key.

Next, copy everything from the Fantasy Grounds application data folder on the original computer to the equivalent location on the new computer. You can access these locations using the "Application Data Folder" link under Start -> Programs -> Fantasy Grounds II."

I've downloaded the installer with my license key, but I don't have access to the original computer. How do I get my campaign to load? It would be daunting to try and recreate everything...

LordEntrails
September 23rd, 2019, 16:46
On your old computer, launch FG. On the start screen click the folder icon. This will open the FG Data folder. Take note of where this is.

On your new computer, do the same thing (open you FG Data folder and note where it is).

Then copy the 'campaigns', 'extensions' & 'modules' folder from your old computer's FG Data folder to your new computer's FG Data folder.

Snunners
September 23rd, 2019, 17:26
Thanks, I appreciate you articulating on how to move to a new computer. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my old computer... any other way to do this?

Andraax
September 23rd, 2019, 18:27
Load them from your backup.

Zacchaeus
September 23rd, 2019, 19:42
The only place your data is stored is on the hard drive of your computer. If you can’t access that or have a back up on another device (as Andraax is alluding to) then there is unfortunately no way to get at the data.

Arion
September 24th, 2019, 19:01
It is definately worth backing your Campaigns folder up to another drive or web storage

We were probably 4 weeks from finishing the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign when my hard drive failed. Mid-session too!

No chance of getting any data from it so the campaign was gone forever.