PDA

View Full Version : Wounds vs. "Current HP"

sunbeam60
November 1st, 2006, 10:25
I know this is quite a late point to bring it up, but I'm wondering if I'm the only person who finds FG's use for "Wounds" instead of "HP Left" (or "Current HP") a little strange.

I've always thought of HP as something that counts down (i.e. you have 15 HP, but you only have 5 HP left) not up (i.e. you have 15 HP and 10 Wounds). I've always understood the rules to do the same.

Am I part of a minority here or would the majority prefer for HPs to count down?

If so, how do the developers feel about this?

TIA
Bjorn

richvalle
November 1st, 2006, 11:59
I'd have to agree with you. I'd rather not have to do the math in my head to figure out how much each player has left. That really is the important number.

rv

Yenooc
November 1st, 2006, 14:35
I was confused when I encountered this, too, since I've always done what Sunbeam60 indicated: count down the hp's as the damage occurs.

The only thing I can think of is that leaving the hp block untouched acts as a record of what the character's "full" hp level is.

Now I'm going to contradict myself :o because--now that I think of it--I and everyone else I've played with did use tick marks by the hp figure on the character sheet to record the temporary loss of hp's due to wounds, etc. I don't recall ever erasing the hp figure each time the current total changed. So perhaps that was what was in the minds of the developers when they came up with the current "wounds" system.

richvalle
November 1st, 2006, 15:45
I don't mind having the full amount showing. Just want to have the 'damage' amount count down instead of count up.

Oberoten
November 1st, 2006, 15:53
Simple enough to fix though.
Justa minor edit to the graphic of the charsheet.

Yenooc
November 1st, 2006, 16:04
I don't mind having the full amount showing. Just want to have the 'damage' amount count down instead of count up.

Sounds good to me. Perhaps "#/#" . . . where the second # is the "full" hp figure, and the first # is used to count down due to damage.

richvalle
November 1st, 2006, 16:13
Yes. And as Oberoten (of the mighy chest) says it should be easy to switch... especially in 2.0 I'm thinking.

rv

Astinus
November 1st, 2006, 16:38
I've always thought of HP as something that counts down (i.e. you have 15 HP, but you only have 5 HP left) not up (i.e. you have 15 HP and 10 Wounds). I've always understood the rules to do the same.
I couldn't agree more. One box with your total hitpoints, and the second box with how many hitpoints you have left (counting down). It totally fits with role playing convention.

sunbeam60
November 1st, 2006, 17:02
Now I'm going to contradict myself :o because--now that I think of it--I and everyone else I've played with did use tick marks by the hp figure on the character sheet to record the temporary loss of hp's due to wounds, etc. I don't recall ever erasing the hp figure each time the current total changed. So perhaps that was what was in the minds of the developers when they came up with the current "wounds" system.

There needs to be some way of showing maximum HP, of course. We've always had a "HP Max" and "HP Current" box on our sheets. Found it quite strange when moving to FG.

richvalle
November 1st, 2006, 18:07
So, I asked my players about this and one of them pointed out that we can do this now. We can just enter in the max HP in Wounds and then reverse the damage as we drop it in and add the healing. Doh! I never thought about that.

rv

Astinus
November 1st, 2006, 18:17
richvale, is there a way to reverse the value of a rolled dice other than right clicking the rolled number? A shortcut key or some way to include it in a hotkey? I'd like to be able to do it quickly as I roll damage, rather than depending on my players to do it.

Ged
November 1st, 2006, 18:50
richvale, is there a way to reverse the value of a rolled dice other than right clicking the rolled number? A shortcut key or some way to include it in a hotkey? I'd like to be able to do it quickly as I roll damage, rather than depending on my players to do it.
If you don't mind creating two result bubbles (or the first one for the players to see), drag the result while holding down the control key. That negates the number.

richvalle
November 1st, 2006, 19:08

As Ged says, its the Ctrl key. You can just drag and drop it onto the wounds while holding the Ctrl key down too.

rv

Astinus
November 1st, 2006, 19:48
That's pretty simple. Thanks guys.

sunbeam60
November 2nd, 2006, 12:41
If you don't mind creating two result bubbles (or the first one for the players to see), drag the result while holding down the control key. That negates the number.
Fair enough, that'll work. But it _is_ a solution to a "problem", rather than a removal of a problem.

I dunno, it's no biggie, I suppose. I'd just prefer HP counting down, seems like most people agree.

Paxar
November 2nd, 2006, 14:24
I'd just like to point out that this can affect gameplay when you start throwing in non-lethal damage. According to the rules, non-lethal damage counts up until it equals or exceeds your current HP. So, if you're counting wounds upwards as well as non-lethal damage, people tend to forget when they're supposed to be unconscious. Just my two cents.

Griogre
November 2nd, 2006, 20:29
I've always done it the way the developers have it. I mostly wish there was a non leathal damage box on the mini sheet.

xxXEliteXxx
May 8th, 2017, 02:47
A decade too late, but I made a simple extension that does just this, since it doesn't appear that anyone has done so in 10 years:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38183-Current-HP-HP-Remaining-Extension&p=336786#post336786