PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 2E Spell Effects

Alex Craft
September 21st, 2019, 04:15
I just finished these spell effects for Pathfinder 2nd Edition for Classic. The "Core Rulebook" spells and the "Lost Omens World Guide" spells and the "Age of Ashes - AP3" spells are coded and ready to drag and drop onto your PC/NPC sheet, have all spells from 1st-10th level and have all heightened spells done as well...that part was tedious as all hell.
The "Core Rulebook" spells is a Massive List of spells.
The "Lost Omens World Guide" spells and the "Age of Ashes - AP3" spells is a Small List of spells.
no images or anything that i know of is copyrighted, just coded spells.
The Heightened spells are just duplicates of the original spells, the original text in the spells are untouched, except some additional notes here and there and some clean up of text, the Heightened spells coded effects portion was done for the appropriate higher spell slot casting.
The Module(s) has a page with Legends with Tags for a quick reference of what is what in the spells (Story Entry)
The Modules contains a copy of the OGL in their own module.

The Form spells are made separately for each form and for each level for the Heightened forms.

The Summons list is my personal input, the summons list will be empty except assigned levels, wasn't sure putting links or names in there would go against OGL, so i left those out so you guys can add those in yourselves. (Story Entry)

The "Chromatic Wall" spell has been cleaned up, it's base level was suppose to have Roll 1d4, only the first 4 colors, when Heightened it has the Roll 1d8, all of the walls plus the de-buff.

The two spells i modified are not really modified just added info, the "Prismatic Wall" and the "Prismatic Sphere" spell still based from the original text, I based the Damage off of the "Prismatic Spray" spell and increasing its damage output by 10 per level beyond the "Prismatic Spray"s Base damage. (But doesn't really need the damage)

Me Personally, it would make sense just have the level 7 "Prismatic Spray" spell, to be scalable, instead of having a separate spell that has the same Spell Effects...But, I didn't design the spells nor the ruleset.

All in all, remember it's your game, do as you wish.....and enjoy.

Here's a link to the Pathfinder 2E Community Modules: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50274-Pathfinder-Second-Edition-community-modules&p=454038#post454038

Here's a link to the Pathfinder 2E Community Extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50316-Pathfinder-Second-Edition-community-extensions

I'm open to your feedback and suggestions that can help improve this project
Doesn't matter if the feedback is Negative or Positive, as long it's Constructive and helpful.

I know this mod isn't perfect, nothing is ever perfect, there are always flaws, but I am fixing things as i go through them, just recently fixed things that was very noticedable

These Modules works fine in Unity so far - If you find any issues with any of these modules in Unity, let me know.

For damage and Heals (if any) for Cantrips, Focus Spells and Ritual Spells, just set the die increase as Odd CL. Some heighten Cantrips, Focus and Ritual Spells have a different setup on other effects, that would make some sense to have heightened copies of these spells. Or you can manually Trade out or Setup the effects yourself to fit your current CL.

These modules was originally built before the CL increase feature in the effects was added.

Updated: 9/21/19 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Minor Fixes and Typos
Updated: 9/26/19 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Removal of Un-needed Links and some Fixes
Updated: 9/30/19 = <PFRPG2 Age of Ashes - AP3 Spell Effects> has been added
Updated: 9/30/19 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Did some Fixes
Updated: 10/5/19 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Did more clean ups and minor fixes of 1st-5th level
Updated: 10/8/19 = <PFRPG2 Age of Ashes - AP3 Spell Effects> & <PFRPG2 Lost Omens Spell Effects> Did some Clean up of some spells, the "Warrior Transformation" been corrected, now the forms are at their proper level
Updated: 7/2/2020 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Have fixed some typos and some errors and added missing spells, added Spell NPCs (Optional, if you want to use them), updated the ref man with spell rules and information so you don't have to try to hunt it down in the CRB's Reference Manual and added a spell list for each tradition, a list for Focus Spells and Ritual Spells. (BTW, i converted all Cantrips into level 0 instead of being level 1, so they can fall into the cantrip category when dropped onto the spell class.)
Last Update: 7/12/2020 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Have added missing heightened spells.

NOTE: This Module was built in Classic. If used in Unity, the results MAY vary.

ash777
September 21st, 2019, 17:10
Thank you a bunch for these. I'm using them now in converting all the adventure paths I have. This will help a bunch!

ShadeRaven
September 21st, 2019, 20:18
This is outstanding! Some of your tagging is quite good, once I got the gist of it. Bravo!

ShadeRaven
September 21st, 2019, 20:35
BTW: If you don't mind suggestions or corrections, I have one for you :)

For Abyssal Plague, that -2 save vs Abyssal Plague for 1 day (or until it's contracted) is set as a 1 day, status effect in your spell which will apply to all fortitude saves for the entire day. It's probably better to have it as a single use spell effect that is applied as needed (when there's another chance to acquire the disease).

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. As you know the spell level when Abyssal Plague is cast, the EVIL damage should be set to 10 as a base.

Alex Craft
September 21st, 2019, 21:09
ah, ok, i'll take a look at it

Edit: @ShadeRaven: I updated Abyssal Plague, i may took my time, but some things can be overlooked in the drudgery of coding effects, there could be more that i could have overlooked.

yarnevk
September 21st, 2019, 23:01
First few cantrips my cleric was using

Acid Splash is done as

'ranged' 'INT' attack with fort save DC+5 half on success

it should be

'R spell' 'base' attack with no save.

Daze

There is no stunned on failure only critical failure, it should be half damage on the basic will save. Damage value is not listed but that is the ruleset fault for not providing a base damage like it does base attack so it can get this from spell class.

I like the effects flagging as it is useful for knowing when to apply the effect, but I take it further and put the spell name into the effect so whoever gets it applied remembers why they have this effect on them. I take this even further and make a separate effect for immunity as a reminder not to overuse that gets cleared using the rest counters - the trick is to put the PC name into this tag otherwise if someone else gives guidance it will say already on the tracker even though it tracks who it came from already.

Guidance; <effects> with duration 1rd
Guidance Immunity <PC>; with duration 1hr

Tanglefoot is listed as Melee should be R Spell and it lacks SPEED: -10 circumstance; Escape is not a Fort DC to avoid the hit, it is a later attack check (optional Athletics/Acrobatics) to remove the condition. So I just add it as a reminder tag 'Escape DC ##'

Alex Craft
September 21st, 2019, 23:17
did some of these spells when the M Spell and R Spell was removed and it was added back in later in the ruleset, so there will be some mixups, i will look into it

EDIT #1: yea, the base damage is based off the classes spell casting ability

EDIT #2: Let me know if there's any more lil hiccups that needs adressing

yarnevk
September 21st, 2019, 23:30
Bless has 'statsu' typo

yarnevk
September 21st, 2019, 23:49
also Produce Flame should be 'R Spell' or 'M Spell' (not sure why the spell is written as both since you can do spells in melee)

yarnevk
September 21st, 2019, 23:52
Ray of Frost needs SPEED: -10 status

yarnevk
September 22nd, 2019, 00:27
<deleted> Goblin Pox - specific overides general rules!

Alex Craft
September 22nd, 2019, 01:47
?did i do something wrong?

yarnevk
September 22nd, 2019, 03:04
no before I edited it I was wrong about goblin pox

Alex Craft
September 22nd, 2019, 03:20
Update #1: I fixed those errors that you pointed out

EDIT: updated the Core.Mod

Alex Craft
September 26th, 2019, 15:18
Update #2: just updated <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> did some fixes and removal of un-needed links in the .mod

Trenloe
September 26th, 2019, 15:58
also Produce Flame should be 'R Spell' or 'M Spell' (not sure why the spell is written as both since you can do spells in melee)
It's different so that FG can different between a ranged attack and a melee attack with a spell.

yarnevk
September 27th, 2019, 00:29
It's different so that FG can different between a ranged attack and a melee attack with a spell.

If they both use your spell casting modifier what does it matter? For regular ranged/melee it is different modifier of course. More of a rules question because they are indeed called ranged spell attack and melee spell attack in the book.

Trenloe
September 27th, 2019, 00:42
If they both use your spell casting modifier what does it matter?
For a number of reasons:
1) Effects that only apply to ranged or melee will only apply to the relevant attack.
2) I don't like restricting things, as who knows what will come in the future - especially from third party publishers.

Alex Craft
September 30th, 2019, 12:59
Update #3: <PFRPG2 Age of Ashes - AP3 Spell Effects> has been added to the list

ShadeRaven
September 30th, 2019, 14:13
Hey Alex, a few things I came across working on Creatures for the Bestiary.

Divine Wrath: (CF) needs Slowed: 1
Blade Barrier: Has two saves. The second is redundant.
Heal: The damage has a Basic component to it for half damage. Also, there is no flat damage (IE: 8 positive per level). It will always be 1d8 positive damage per Heal level.
Veil: The skill bonus is for Deception and the Level Bonus is only for untrained characters.
Dominate: I am not sure a character should be stunned: 1 for an entire day on a save. I don't interpret it that way. Also, there's no information on Failure and Critical Failure for how additional saves and such work.

I just came across these randomly as I gave your format a shot in the Bestiary update. Good stuff! Just need to make sure the implementation is correct because I know at least my players trust everything I put on their character sheet is accurate without really looking too closely most the time :D

Love the format, though, and am adopting your (CF) (F) tags for easier reading! Keep up the good work!

Alex Craft
September 30th, 2019, 14:17
ok, i'll take a good look at those and fix'em

EDIT #1: Dominate was one of the few that i may have overlooked, looks like i started it and got off tracked with something else

Shaderaven
Veil: The skill bonus is for Deception and the Level Bonus is only for untrained characters.

EDIT #2: "VEIL": It allows the target to ignore any circumstance penalties they might take for being disguised as dissimilar creatures, and it gives the targets a +4 status bonus to Deception checks to prevent others from seeing through their disguises, and add their level even if untrained.

EDIT #3: The way I've interpreted it that the bonus is there for everyone, even the "Untrained" with the Deception Skill gets all those bonuses too.

EDIT #4: "Veil" was missing some tags, added them in

Alex Craft
September 30th, 2019, 16:17
Update #4: <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Did some more Fixes

Alex Craft
October 6th, 2019, 03:25
Update #5: <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Did more clean ups and minor fixes of 1st-5th level

EDIT #1: Will do the rest down the road.

EDIT #2: Let me know if i have missed anything within those spell levels of 1st - 5th.

Alex Craft
October 9th, 2019, 02:10
Update #6: <PFRPG2 Age of Ashes - AP3 Spell Effects> & <PFRPG2 Lost Omens Spell Effects> has been cleaned up, "Warrior's Transformation" been corrected to the form's proper level.

theMaXX
November 16th, 2019, 14:27
Nice work!

Alex Craft
July 3rd, 2020, 03:46
Last Update: 7/2/2020 = <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> Have fixed some typos and some errors and added missing spells, added Spell NPCs (Optional, if you want to use them), updated the ref man with spell rules and information so you don't have to try to hunt it down in the CRB's Reference Manual and added a spell list for each tradition, a list for Focus Spells and Ritual Spells.

EDIT: The module update is in the #1st post

Weissrolf
July 3rd, 2020, 09:41
Thanks for the work! I wonder how these differ from the "(SR) Drag N Drop for Pathfinder Second Edition" spell effects?

Alex Craft
July 3rd, 2020, 14:06
the spells are in the spell list, not from a PC sheet that would use up a lot of memory loading, and every single spell has been done from cantrips up to level 10

Weissrolf
July 3rd, 2020, 19:10
Since both modules offer spells in a spell list the main difference seems to be nomenclature and some sorting. I will have to compare some more to see if one offers something the other does not. Anyway, thanks for the work and for offering it to the community.

One bug-report: Several spells are listed at the same spell level filter for all higher levels. Like Stoneskin 4-10 being all listed as S4 and Disintegrate 6-10 being all listed as S6.

I also wonder why some spells are listed as spell level (Acid Arrow) while others are listed as caster levels (Acid Splash)?

Alex Craft
July 4th, 2020, 11:11
the cantrips, focus and ritual spells heightens by character levels, spells goes by spell levels
the reason for those heightened spells having the base level is to keep them organized instead of being all over the place, i feel if you make the heightened spells a different spell level, it would add more confusing for people that don't know the spells, it is simple to just drag that heightened spell into that spell slot level that was coded for.

EDIT #1: Acid Splash is a Cantrip, it uses caster level, it heightens by character level; Acid Arrow is a Spell, it uses spell level, it heightens by spell slot level you learn that spell at.,

EDIT #2: Trying to keep it simple, it's already complex enough as is

Weissrolf
July 4th, 2020, 11:36
Thanks for the explanation, well appreciated! :)

Alex Craft
July 4th, 2020, 18:51
Thanks for the work! I wonder how these differ from the "(SR) Drag N Drop for Pathfinder Second Edition" spell effects?

TBH i haven't looked at shaderaven's spell effects, the only thing i looked at was his work on the class features and such.

Alex Craft
July 4th, 2020, 19:00
So far these Modules works fine in Unity.

Crescentine
July 11th, 2020, 16:54
I'm loving what these modules are doing for my game! I have a question about how Daze is heightened in the module. it looks like there are a few missing heightened spells, unless I'm not understanding how daze is heightened.

Alex Craft
July 11th, 2020, 18:35
I'm loving what these modules are doing for my game! I have a question about how Daze is heightened in the module. it looks like there are a few missing heightened spells, unless I'm not understanding how daze is heightened.

Daze as its base level deals mental damage equal to your spellcasting ability modifier such as Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma modifier depending on the Caster's magic tradition and spellcasting ability at CL 1st-2nd. When heightened, (+2), it gains an additional 1d6 mental damage every 2 spell levels meaning 1d6+ability modifier as a 3rd spell level at CL 5th-6th; 2d6+ability modifier as a 5th spell level at CL 9th-10th; 3d6+ability modifier as a 7th spell level at CL 13th-14th; 4d6+spellcasting ability modifier mental damage, as a 9th spell level at CL 17th-18th.

EDIT 1: some spells heightens differently, they don't heighten at every level, the (+1) is every spell level; (+2) is every 2 spell levels; (+3) is every 3 spell levels and so on.

EDIT 2: the CL stands for Caster level or Character Level

EDIT 3: hope this might help a bit to alleviate some confusing
Caster/Character Level = Spell Level
1st-2nd = 1st
3rd-4th = 2nd
5th-6th = 3rd
7th-8th = 4th
9th-10th = 5th
11th-12th = 6th
13th-14th = 7th
15th-16th = 8th
17th-18th = 9th
19th-20th = 10th

Crescentine
July 12th, 2020, 02:01
That's what I thought. When I load in the module and search for Daze, this is what I see. I'm on a Mac running the latest version of FGU. Based on what you wrote, I should have a base (1st-2nd), 3rd (5th-6th), 5th (9th-10th), and so on. I have the base, 5th, 7th, and 9th iteration, but not the third.

Weissrolf
July 12th, 2020, 08:19
Looking further into this, it really seems that we now have to spell effect extensions doing the same things under different names. If you like to have spell info encoded in the name (range, form) then this extension here delivers, if you only want names then "SR Drag N Drop" is an alternative.

Alex Craft
July 12th, 2020, 15:33
That's what I thought. When I load in the module and search for Daze, this is what I see. I'm on a Mac running the latest version of FGU. Based on what you wrote, I should have a base (1st-2nd), 3rd (5th-6th), 5th (9th-10th), and so on. I have the base, 5th, 7th, and 9th iteration, but not the third.

Just added the missing spell, the 3rd (5th-6th) is in there now, must have skimmed over it, since i was in a bit of a rush.

If anything seems off or missing, let me know.

Alex Craft
July 12th, 2020, 15:35
Looking further into this, it really seems that we now have to spell effect extensions doing the same things under different names. If you like to have spell info encoded in the name (range, form) then this extension here delivers, if you only want names then "SR Drag N Drop" is an alternative.

On what i understand that SR only coded spells that had effects/damage/heals

EDIT: i did every spell in the list

Alex Craft
July 12th, 2020, 15:41
Just updated the <PFRPG2 Core Spell Effects> some missing spells was added, the Mod is on Post #1

ShadeRaven
July 14th, 2020, 01:17
On what i understand that SR only coded spells that had effects/damage/healsFor whatever it's worth, I did all spells :) I just was much more careful when it came to spells with effects, damage, and other items that required applied effects as well as those spells that could be upcast.

I also went through and did all the formulas and skills, etc., that had applied conditions or damage.

As you well know, it's a beast to do it all :D Like my (SR) Bestiary, I hope the day when it's rendered negligibly useful isn't too far down the road. We are getting there with the automation to the Bestiaries and look forward to when that focus can shift to other things like Spells and Skill Actions, etc.

Weissrolf
July 14th, 2020, 01:24
The formula thing is very useful for alchemists. Albeit my player now has to edit all damage because of feats boni. Ouch for him, but he will pull through.

Kaihaku
July 18th, 2020, 14:34
This mod is great. I can't overstate how much it improves gameplay. Thank you.

I'll also note that we're on Unity and haven't had any issues.

Crescentine
July 18th, 2020, 20:43
Thanks for the update! My players are excited about this mod!

Stargrove
August 28th, 2021, 19:28
I think that the way you did Animal Forms is not calculating things properly. Consider a 7th level Druid (wearing leather armor casting Animal Form slotted into a 4th level spell slot and changing into a Bear. RAW says the following for the spell heightened to 4th level: (4th) Your battle form is Large and your attacks have 10-foot reach. You must have enough space to expand into or the spell is lost. You instead gain 15 temporary HP, AC= 18 + your level, attack modifier +18, damage bonus +9, and Athletics +16.

The modules effect for the Bear shows as follows: Bear; Speed 30 feet; Size: Large; Reach; 10; Traits: Animal, Low-light Vision, Imprecise Scent 30 feet; AC: 18 [LVL]; AC: -10 [-DEX]; ATK: +16; ATK: [-STR], [-DEX]; SKILL: +16 [-STR], athletics

When applied to the character it shows the following results in the Combat Tracker: Bear; Speed 30 feet; Size: Large; Reach; 10; Traits: Animal,Low-light Vision,Imprecise Scent 30 feet; AC: 25; AC: -14; ATK: 16; ATK: -5; SKILL: 15 athletics

When another character attacks the Druid we see that he ends up with an AC of 35. Shouldn't it only be 25?

When the Druid attacks as the bear he has an attack bonus of +23. Shouldn't it only be +16? His normal base unarmed attack bonus is only +10.

I have tried various things to dial them in but am not having much luck adjusting the effect.

Alex Craft
August 30th, 2021, 00:28
Deleted:

Alex Craft
August 30th, 2021, 00:31
The results are shown in the Chat window when making attack and skill checks, stats don't show real changes in the CT nor the PC sheet

EDIT: iirc, the druid uses what is better of the two, but i will take a look at it

Stargrove
August 30th, 2021, 23:14
I know that the character sheet and the combat tracker will not show the consequences of applying the effect. What I was saying is that the values being applied during combat in the chat window is that his effective armor class is 35 and attack bonus is +23 which I do not believe to be correct due to the applied effects. For now, we are not going to be using the effects for the Animal Form spell at least. We have not come across other issues with the rest of the MOD, so good job there. Animal Form and all the other creature form spell effects probably need to be looked at as well as they are all built along similar lines. Thanks for taking a look.

If it helps, I have attached the druid I was testing with. He does not currently have the specific spell effects added to the Actions tab, but that is easy enough to do.