PDA

View Full Version : NPCs?

jkeller
September 20th, 2019, 18:33
I think I'm missing something. I'd like to create some NPCs, but it seems like in FG NPCs are just nameless monsters.

I'm sure FG supports the idea of non-player characters (with names, back-story, pics, etc), but I'm not sure how/where.

What should I look for? Thanks!

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2019, 18:51
For what ruleset?

An NPC is the same as a monster in that the way to create them is the same. You can use the notes tab in the NPC to add whatever text you like and add links to images etc.

jkeller
September 20th, 2019, 20:16
Thanks, I'll play around with that approach some more. I'm using 5E for this campaign.

mhossom
September 20th, 2019, 21:58
I handled this by creating the character as normal (I import from Herolab) then mark the Character as Owned by the GM. I also annotate them as "Hostile" in the Combat tracker. Seemed to work pretty well.

Note, if you use Herolab, create the character as a Ally of the party and then change it after import. Gives some funky results if you try to import a character that is already an Enemy of the party.

LordEntrails
September 21st, 2019, 04:33
Thanks, I'll play around with that approach some more. I'm using 5E for this campaign.
So in 5E the difference between a "PC" and an "NPC" are that they are different object types in the database and have different data fields available to them (and some different functionality).

What these data fields and functionality are is based upon the core game and the majority need. So, PCs have the generally fields that a PC character sheet (like from the PHB) have. While an NPC generally have the fields that a monster from the Monster Manual has.

That does not mean that I (as DM) can't create a Big Bad Evil Guy using a PC object. Just figure out what capabilities your "Non-Player Character" needs and use that :)

jkeller
September 21st, 2019, 05:32
I see, thanks for the explanation. When I think "NPC" (at least in this campaign), I think they are basically much more like PCs. I don't care too much about the stats or skills (though they may fight as allies alongside the party perhaps); mostly I just want Name, Description, Picture, and such. So I think I'll try and create them as PCs.

Griogre
September 21st, 2019, 10:31
Honestly from that description you should use NPC sheets. The PC sheets are more combat oriented and are more for fast "roll" playing, ie roll combat attacks, skills, spells. The NPC's have two tabs one with the "roll" playing the other for "RP" notes. It sounds like your NPC's are note heavy with minimal need for combat rolls. You might want to use a PC sheet for a NPC skill monkey that have a lot of skills because the NPC sheets assume only a few major skills.

Zacchaeus
September 21st, 2019, 10:40
Indeed, I would echo Griogre on this one. If you want to add lots of text and links to images then use the note tab in the NPC for that. There really isn't the same kind of thing on the PC sheet. It is more geared up to combat and to drag and drop abilities etc.

damned
September 21st, 2019, 11:06
NPCs are designed to be easy for the GM to run from the Combat Tracker.
I would use a NPC over a PC every day of the week.

esmdev
September 21st, 2019, 13:37
When I first started using FG I used to build NPCs as PCs but eventually found it more functional to use the NPC option instead. I found it to be faster to create numerous NPCs because there was less data entry and it was easier to copy NPCs and change the name and make minor changes. I still use the PC option if I am making a full blown character that is likely to be traveling and leveling with the party.

jkeller
September 21st, 2019, 17:35
Ok, thanks all. NPC makes sense, I guess what threw me was that I just wanted some simple ones (e.g. human rogue or whatever), but didn't see those options. I have the 5E bundle, and searched for "human", but there were none. But I see there are some specific NPCs like from LMoP and Sword Coast, and that's basically what I want.

LordEntrails
September 22nd, 2019, 03:59
Thos basic ones have names like "commoner" "bandit" "soldier" etc. I think if you search for human/humanoid (I forget) on the the type and then a CR of like 1/8 or 1/4 you will find some that you can use.

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2019, 11:10
All such NPCs are listed in Appendix B of the Monster Manual.

JohnD
September 22nd, 2019, 15:21
It's been 2 years since I've looked at anything 5e but I remember those being in the MM, just like others have said above.

jkeller
September 22nd, 2019, 15:40
Found some, thanks all! You kind of have to know what you're looking for, but I have a hardcopy of the MM, so that helped a lot.

PurpleZedim
July 10th, 2020, 20:07
I find myself wishing constantly that I could drag/drop things like "race" and "background" into an open npc sheet and have those qualities populate for the npc. (Understanding that the wiring would be different). I'm running a city campaign in FGU , and having to hand-edit every single npc is a nightmare. There is no drag and drop for the kind of baseline info I need. (There are no humans in this city).

I've created a few NPC's I'm using as templates, but if drag and drop could apply some of those juicy PC's items into the NPC template (for humanoids anyway) that would be great. Even if it just grabbed things like the movement rate, size, senses, etc.

Other that this (and really, really really wanting to be able to use dual monitors. Really. The dragging to make it fit over two monitors doesn't work for me. And I can't get do the "login with a second dummy account" thing to work either...) I'm really enjoying my FGU experience. I do not miss Roll 20...save for very occasionally when I try to ping the map. But that's it! :-)