PDA

View Full Version : MAPSLAP for Fantasy Grounds

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 00:38
After a discussion on the current Map Tools and their limitations in Fantasy Grounds - I was inspired to make a new toolset to overcome them and I worked out a way to make rapid custom maps using existing FG parameters.

I made a short video demonstrating my new invention - Mapslap - that can be viewed here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CNL0cORPtE9_hjzjyf7HQeNwMHzXfT8X

or here: https://youtu.be/870a8CXw-EI

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAPSLAP for Fantasy Grounds ($29.99)

MAPSLAP is an innovative toolset that compliments the existing drawing tools in FG and allows you to slap together detailed WORLD - AND - CITY maps literally in a few minutes. Not only can you build both types of map with a dedicated drag and drop token set - you can label world and city features with a generous label set or even Custom Design your own wording using the Alphabet Tokens and Blank Labels (Or Zoom in and try your hand with the FG Drawing Pencil).
Craft quick maps as you need them - Build, Name and Play* on your Creations.

*Play Requires the FG 3-Layer Extension by Zeus and Trenloe - or you can Screenshot a finished Map, and Re-Import it to FG as a Flat JPEG to avoid World/City tokens being stacked/moved.

Demonstration Video
* 3 Parchments
* 35 Top-Down City Icons
* 80 Preset Labels for City Buildings and Areas
* 4 Custom Scrolls (Large and Small / Dark and Light)
* 2 Road Sign Arrows (One Facing Left / One Facing Right)
* 1 Wooden Sign Board
* 36 Custom Labels with Room for Text
* 26 Black Letters and Numbers 0-9
* 26 White Letters and Numbers 0-9
* 84 World Feature Icons
* 36 World Location Labels

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Submitted to Smiteworks

Trenloe
September 20th, 2019, 00:48
*Play Requires the FG 3-Layer Extension by Duluxe Oz ...
*cough* Maybe check your facts on that? :)

Bl00dy Aussies sticking together... ;)

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 00:51
We all look the same Trenloe. lol

Nylanfs
September 20th, 2019, 13:48
Should an AI really be concerned about proper attribution? :)

Trenloe
September 20th, 2019, 14:34
To clarify - the extension in question was originally created by Zeus, with expansions and compatibility updates by me. "Whinging poms" sticking together! ;-)

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 14:56
Right... and who was Zeus created by? So I can give proper attribution all the way to the source. lol

Trenloe
September 20th, 2019, 15:03
...and who was Zeus created by?
Hahaha - I don't know. I wasn't around way back then and the records are... obscured... ;)

JohnD
September 20th, 2019, 17:37
Interesting.

darrenan
September 20th, 2019, 17:40
Maybe I'm dense, but I don't understand what this actually is. Is this a collection of tokens? Your video just shows you dragging and dropping tokens on a map, which is a built-in function of FG. Or is this just supposed to be a joke? I'm not bagging on your efforts, just curious and looking for a better explanation of what this is.

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 18:17
Yep. tokens. and yep, its a built-in function - I'm not sure what the question is? You make maps with it.

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 18:21
It was requested that I make labels for shops, buildings, structure in a fantasy town for one of my token packs - and in a discussion with someone about the drawing tools we discussed the difficulty of using the single pixel pencil to actually draw anything decent. So this - is a workaround that allows users of Fg Classic and new users to very quickly make custom maps for both World and City locales and labels them - and custom label them which is currently impossible to do in the existing FG. So quintessentially it's a combination of a variety of requests and discussions on the limitation of drawing tools and the inability to custom label things within FG - mapslap is simply my solution to those queries and challenges with what is currently available to me.

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 18:29
I just make what the people want - and they wanted this.

Ampersandrew
September 20th, 2019, 18:40
Three posts in a row :cry:. There is a post edit function, which you could have used to make this a single post.

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 18:41
Seriously?

darrenan
September 20th, 2019, 18:44
Thanks for the clarification.

Ampersandrew
September 20th, 2019, 18:44
Absolutely.

gtw2017
September 20th, 2019, 18:45
You've lost your point of contention.

Ampersandrew
September 20th, 2019, 18:50
No, I haven't. Other people have responded between my posts. Which would make editing a previous post nonsense. no one could follow that.

I'm done answering this.

gtw2017
September 26th, 2019, 09:01
Well - unfortunately, this won't be released until Unity is available. Not entirely sure why, but that's how it is.

Back to the drawing board...

MarianDz
September 26th, 2019, 14:13
very nice project "gtw2017"

Trenloe
September 26th, 2019, 14:28
Well - unfortunately, this won't be released until Unity is available. Not entirely sure why, but that's how it is.
I'm guessing because it's not a great idea to release a commercial (paid for) product that relies on a community maintained extension. Whereas, in FG Unity, it will be possible to put the graphics on layers in the base product.

Sorry this couldn't be released now, but look forward to the results in FG Unity.

gtw2017
September 26th, 2019, 18:30
very nice project "gtw2017"

Thank you :) It does the job well enough - but I think the fact you would have to screenshot and re-import the map to give you a flat surface without the chance to move or stack tokens on top of one another is the primary reason. Unity won't have that disadvantage as far as I know - still - good to know what you Can do with the tools in FG Classic in a pinch.

gtw2017
September 26th, 2019, 18:35
I'm guessing because it's not a great idea to release a commercial (paid for) product that relies on a community maintained extension. Whereas, in FG Unity, it will be possible to put the graphics on layers in the base product.

Sorry this couldn't be released now, but look forward to the results in FG Unity.

Hi Trenloe - it doesn't require any extensions - it simply takes advantage of the map function and token dragging function to assemble a map template - then you screenshot and re-import it as a new 'Map'. It might sound like a lot of work - but its vastly quicker than using existing mapping programs. I made 2 detailed maps in 8 minutes flat as shown in the video. It works, it works well. It just requires an extra step. Though, I don't think Unity will give it any advantage whatsoever - Unity won't Need Mapslap. Mapslap is built to overcome the limitations in FG Classic - so releasing Mapslap when Unity is out and anyone can simply replicate the process but without the extra step - makes little sense.

Nonetheless, I will use it - and continue working on my other FG products including Terrorformer. (And my New upcoming Adventure Modules for 5e set in the world of Geas)

EDIT: (Sorry - to clarify, IF someone wanted to play on top of the map and still retain the ability to move mapslap tokens, change features, change labels - THEN they would require the Extension. If they wanted to just build a map within FG and then re-import it - then they Don't need the extension. But you make a valid point - and since Unity will likely solve all these problems, mapslap probably comes too little too late.

Trenloe
September 26th, 2019, 18:57
I like a lot of the tokens and would probably use them a lot when I play FG face-to-face, using minis on a TV lying flat on the table. But for me, being totally honest here as I'd just be using them as "scatter" tokens, the price is too high for me and the amount of use I'd get.

gtw2017
September 26th, 2019, 19:10
Thanks for the compliment - and TBH Trenloe, I agree- I was on the fence about the price too, I changed it to $14.99 USD which I think is much better - and it's on my site if anyone wants it. It's just not an official release (yet?).

gtw2017
September 26th, 2019, 19:17
Really - this is a Token Pack - it just has some templates on which to place the tokens and lots of convenient labels for towns and cities and various features - and - some ability to customize the text on those labels.