PDA

View Full Version : new to FG and cant get PF2 started

Verdlin
September 19th, 2019, 21:39
So I just got FG for the first time and I'm traying to get the program working for me. I got the PDF off Paizo website and I link my account with Paizo and FG. but when I go to manage characters click PFRPG2 under module it only show playtest and under module has a tab that sayPathfinder Second edition core. But when I clickit open up a thing that has Pathfinder Second edition core rules (not installed) then has a red X next to it. Does any one know were I am missing up the setup?

Trenloe
September 19th, 2019, 22:06
Welcome to the FG forums Verdlin.

Owning the Paizo Pathfinder Second Edition Core Rules PDF gives you a discount on purchasing the Pathfinder Second Edition Core Rules Fantasy Grounds product. You’ll need to purchase the product to be able to use it in FG. Details in the Paizo account sync page.

UltimateGM
September 20th, 2019, 02:01
Usually I just buy everything for fantasy grounds then synch with paizo and get my pdf. Just a suggestion though.

TenXero
February 7th, 2020, 22:15
I'm having a similar problem and I can't get a response from Fantasy Grounds support.
I purchased the Pathfinder 2E Core Rules straight from FG so I don't need the Paizo or Steam Link. When I click on the link for install core rules it just gives you a wordpad document with instructions. The instructions however cant be followed because they are either antiquated or the FG app has changed...

I open FG
I Click Settings
I click "manage" under purchases tab
I enter my account login/pw and click "OK"
AND..... NOTHING HAPPENS !

damned
February 7th, 2020, 23:27
Please dont cross post everywhere.

H2Os
February 10th, 2020, 16:37
I'm having a similar problem and I can't get a response from Fantasy Grounds support.
I purchased the Pathfinder 2E Core Rules straight from FG so I don't need the Paizo or Steam Link. When I click on the link for install core rules it just gives you a wordpad document with instructions. The instructions however cant be followed because they are either antiquated or the FG app has changed...

I open FG
I Click Settings
I click "manage" under purchases tab
I enter my account login/pw and click "OK"
AND..... NOTHING HAPPENS !

Run the updater.

Thoric
March 21st, 2020, 01:26
I'm having the same issue, however, from Fantasy Grounds website, PDFs you own at Paizo will discount the full cost of the PDF from purchases on Fantasy Grounds. If I purchase the books from FG there is a $7 USD fee to continue. Is this normal? Am I going to have to repurchase (at a discount)?

Dr0W
March 21st, 2020, 07:14
I'm having the same issue, however, from Fantasy Grounds website, PDFs you own at Paizo will discount the full cost of the PDF from purchases on Fantasy Grounds. If I purchase the books from FG there is a $7 USD fee to continue. Is this normal? Am I going to have to repurchase (at a discount)?

Yes, this is normal. That $7 is to pay for the person who spent their time typing the info on FG. That's why it's advised to buy on fg and then proceed to get the pdf for free, not the way around.

damned
March 21st, 2020, 07:32
Actually the extra is 3 way split at some %% between SW, Paizo and the Dev.

Trenloe
March 21st, 2020, 09:45
If I purchase the books from FG there is a $7 USD fee to continue. Is this normal? Am I going to have to repurchase (at a discount)?
Yes, this is normal. This is a product on a new platform, with many hours spent converting the product to FG with regular support and updates.

Paizo is currently the only company that does this PDF included/PDF owned gives discount. So, in the VTT space, you're actually getting good value for money using Paizo products on Fantasy Grounds.

Thoric
March 21st, 2020, 18:07
I'm good with that. When the exchange rate evens out, I will gladly pay difference :D

Stixx925
April 1st, 2020, 00:55
I had a question there is an option for 2 voluntary flaws to gain 1 boost, how do i implement that I Have a character in my group that took that on his orig character sheet ( do to circumstances we need to play online for now so I'm recreating all their characters in FG.

Stixx925
April 1st, 2020, 01:09
i figured it out, the misc option next to ability score...

Trenloe
April 1st, 2020, 07:54
i figured it out, the misc option next to ability score...
You absolutely can do it that way.

I tend to use the temporary modifier feature for longer term changes. See "temporary modifiers" in the Wiki -> User Guide here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Number_Fields

MaxAstro
April 1st, 2020, 15:52
And as I just found out the hard way, be aware that if your PC uses the optional flaw rules, it can cause ability boosts to not be calculated correctly; you'll have to adjust the modifier to account for that.

For example, if a PC uses the optional flaw to boost their Strength from 16 to 18, then at level 5 when they apply a boost to that score it will jump to 20 instead of 19, and you'll need to reduce the temporary modifier from 2 to 1.

Trenloe
April 1st, 2020, 16:02
And as I just found out the hard way, be aware that if your PC uses the optional flaw rules, it can cause ability boosts to not be calculated correctly; you'll have to adjust the modifier to account for that.

For example, if a PC uses the optional flaw to boost their Strength from 16 to 18, then at level 5 when they apply a boost to that score it will jump to 20 instead of 19, and you'll need to reduce the temporary modifier from 2 to 1.
Thanks for raising that as an issue.

At some point in the future I'll be implementing more manual control of the PC abilities to cater for the optional flaw rule, as well as rolling for abilities. Until then we'll all have to be aware of this and work around it.

qbalrog
April 18th, 2021, 15:58
I thought I'd be clever and modify the xml for the flaw/boosts and reimport it, but it appears the attribute values are recalculated from the character generator steps in the log at each reload.

Milke
April 21st, 2021, 13:03
I've got the rulebook and adventure path subscription at Paizo, and my account linked to FG. And every time a new book comes available on the FG site, it's basically just a few bucks for me to pick it up. I never have a reason not to buy it. It's a really great deal.