PDA

View Full Version : Combat Tracker

LoremasterCBurke
September 16th, 2019, 09:43
My Group is playing Adventures in Middle-earth 5e. They have a big battle coming up next weekend. The Adventure Company party has 10 Character/NCP"S. I would like to know if the combat tracker can handle a large number of Orc's and they want to hire a few more NPC's for this campaign. Orc Scouting Party is about 110 Orcs of Mirkwood and 3 Hill Giants, Plus Orc of Mirkwood Sub-chief. The Party has fought a smaller force about 50 Orcs and Wargs did pretty well in the battle. had no real issues with the combat tracker and on the maps. just wonder if the Combat Tracker could handle a larger force.
Thank you for the help.
LoremasterCBurke

damned
September 16th, 2019, 12:07
Im thinking that you will struggle just to get thru each round with so many combatants.
Have you considered combining the Orcs into groups of 5 or 10 units each?
Do something like give each unit standard stats +2/3 to hit, additional damage and double HP.

Arion
September 16th, 2019, 13:06
Im thinking that you will struggle just to get thru each round with so many combatants.
Have you considered combining the Orcs into groups of 5 or 10 units each?
Do something like give each unit standard stats +2/3 to hit, additional damage and double HP.

This is my thinking. I ran a Savage Worlds combat using 4 PC's and 4 allies vs 19 enemies and it took three and a half hours. Bear in mind that SW plays a bit faster than D&D5e and that all but 4 of those combatants drop after one good hit, and you will see that probably twenty on a side is as many as you would want to risk.

Grouping them would be a good idea.

JohnD
September 16th, 2019, 15:24
I also sugges you find a way to break things up into smaller groups, modifying the nature of the ongoing combat as needed. There have been a few times where I have had large "set piece" combats in my games and they do take quite a long time to get through.

LordEntrails
September 16th, 2019, 17:50
The CT should handle the numbers fine. The problem comes with game play of you decide full resolutionfor resolving mechanics for each combatant.