PDA

View Full Version : Can't Connect to Game Anymore

WildKnight
September 15th, 2019, 16:37
Its been a couple of months since we've had a session, but I can no longer connect to a game that I used to play in regularly. Both the host and I have the Ultimate License, so that shouldn't be an issue. The host is connected and I've been repeatedly told I'm using the correct alias. Windows Defender Firewall (only firewall I have) isn't blocking Fantasy Grounds, and I ran a connection test which came back successful.

Both Windows (10) and Fantasy Grounds appear to be up to date

WildKnight
September 15th, 2019, 17:00
Update; its definitely something involving my home network, because I can log out of my own network and into the public network for my provider, then successfully log into the game, but logging back into my home network, still can't join the game. Obviously this isn't a fantasy grounds issue, but does anybody know what about my network settings specifically is stopping me from logging in to a game? Any thoughts?

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2019, 17:21
Have you rebooted your modems/routers? Start there.

Then, firewall or security software. Check your security software to make sure FG has not been blacklisted. if it is white listed (exception made), delete it and re-create it. Check for other settings like parental controls.

Then check your network hardware for the same types of things.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2019, 17:42
Check that you don't have multiple rules in Windows defender for FG. If you do then delete them all and make a new one.

WildKnight
September 15th, 2019, 19:19
Thank you both for your help. I tried all of those things, still no luck. I did have multiple rules for Fantasy Grounds in Windows Defender, I deleted them all and created a new one, still not working. I appreciate the advice

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2019, 19:57
Well, would be really strange, but perhaps the GMs network is blocking from your private network for some reason but not your provider's public network? Can you connect to a different Gm's game while on your private network?

You can try PMing me or one of the Discord channels to see if anyone is available to start up their game and let you connect.

Trenloe
September 15th, 2019, 23:08
Make sure that your network connection is shown by Windows as "Private".

WildKnight
September 16th, 2019, 00:53
Make sure that your network connection is shown by Windows as "Private".

It is, thank you.

damned
September 16th, 2019, 02:47
When you setup your connection do you could host did you add any Port Filters on the Router? If so please remove those.

WildKnight
September 16th, 2019, 02:54
When you setup your connection do you could host did you add any Port Filters on the Router? If so please remove those.

I have none of those. The guy in our group who knows about these things went through everything and thinks its something specific to the ISP since other players can connect (other players can connect, except the one other player who has the same service as I do), plus a lot of other technical things I don't really get. I can log into the game using my phone's wireless hotspot, so there is that.

We'll work on it more throughout the week

Mirloc
September 21st, 2019, 14:23
If two of you are using the same service and cannot connect, chances are pretty good that there's something the ISP is doing on their end to block FG traffic. Since you work properly on the hotspot the easiest solution would be to use a VPN, which would bypass the ISP entirely. Several VPN services have a free level of access, or a trial period so you can test them out. Personally I use NordVPN but I don't advocate for any particular service, I understand from others that Haimachi works well, but I think that would require that all of the players use Hamachi, not just the two of you who are having issues.

Roach
September 30th, 2019, 14:47
Have you checked with the ISP they didn't silently change your connection to IPv6? If so, ask them to change you back - ISPs have been known to change customers to IPv6 from IPv4 in batches without telling them, and FGC doesn't work with 4, while your home network probably does.

WildKnight
September 30th, 2019, 14:55
To be honest, we're still not entirely sure WHY the situation occurred, but now both of us seem to be able to connect to the game without issue. For one week we could connect with the address but not the alias, and now we can connect with the alias again. Our shared ISP was working on "upgrading" speed in our area, maybe that had something to do with it, we're really not sure. Hopefully it doesn't recur.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful. The FG community has been great every time I've ever had questions