PDA

View Full Version : Numerous XP errors in Fall of Plaguestone [SPOILERS]

yarnevk
September 13th, 2019, 08:19
here is a spreadsheet that shows proper XP leveling tracks with the Part sections being the milestone leveling.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmJ5bn15U-t1nOQL2i5SiW6GVVRpEzflhIyySaXeQI8/edit#gid=0

Following XP given by Fantasy Grounds you will be leveling well before the chapters are finished.

As a workaround keep in mind that updating modules wipes out your changes, and you will have to renter the XP every week if you attempt to fix it ahead of time. So just keep the spreadsheet handy to fix the XP right before you award it.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2019, 14:23
Thanks for posting yarnevk.

Can you give details of where the Fantasy Grounds XP allocation for encounter and quest records deviate from the Paizo product please? Doing a very quick review, I don't see any obvious errors.

Putting all the encounters and quests into the Party Sheet and assigning them to the party gives a total of 902 XP - lower than yours because the default bar brawl encounter record has one creature - leaving it up to the GM to adjust as necessary, putting in 12 farmers (as per the spreadsheet) would give allocation of 1,112xp - exactly the same as the spreadsheet.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28956

yarnevk
September 13th, 2019, 17:37
Going thru recent notes there was a number of extremes I noted as changing

To be sure I reverted changes after this weeks update, and indeed they came back as extremes when opening the encounter table.

For example

3.03.01 Rotten Copse 3 Bloodlash Bush should be Severe 120XP is Extreme++ 180XP
3.03.02. Foul Den 2 Mutant Wolves should be Severe 120XP but is Extreme 160XP.

Since each Part # corresponds to a milestone level the relative XP changes. They are both marked as Severe 2 in the encounter headings in the book, the 20XP extra each is because they got calculated as Extreme 1 it seems.

Maybe because .mod author assumed less farmers or not doing a background quest in lvl1, but this adventures use milestone leveling for the parts so the calc XP should do the same and use the written difficulty level and let those that get behind/ahead on XP tracked levels adjust.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2019, 19:20
3.03.01 Rotten Copse 3 Bloodlash Bush should be Severe 120XP is Extreme++ 180XP
3.03.02. Foul Den 2 Mutant Wolves should be Severe 120XP but is Extreme 160XP.

Since each Part # corresponds to a milestone level the relative XP changes. They are both marked as Severe 2 in the encounter headings in the book, the 20XP extra each is because they got calculated as Extreme 1 it seems.

Maybe because .mod author assumed less farmers or not doing a background quest in lvl1, but this adventures use milestone leveling for the parts so the calc XP should do the same and use the written difficulty level and let those that get behind/ahead on XP tracked levels adjust.
Thanks for providing specific details of encounters with issues. I'll pass on to the developer to look at.

If you find any other encounters that are incorrect please let us know.

sciencephile
September 13th, 2019, 21:17
Yeah, I'll look into it. The original adventure gives no guidance as to what levels the PCs should be for each chapter (as the adventure paths do) so I just assumed everything was based on 1st level (particularly since I did this before the rules even came out). I'm guessing that you just added up the experience points after each milestone (combat or xp award) and determined if the level happened (again, I can find no guidance in the adventure itself so this is the only way I can think of determining level).

Thanks,
Danny

yarnevk
September 13th, 2019, 21:19
Should review it with the spreadsheet, I am only noting as I playthru and if something seems off to me.

The book text does have 'Difficulty Level' (i.e. Severe 2) in the brown headers before each encounter text. Each Part is a milestone level, and you will see these 'Difficulty Levels' the Level does match the Part - everything in Part 2 is '<Difficulty> 2'. Part 1 is level 1, Part 2 is level 2, Part 3 is level 3. It might be that the .mod did not port these headers over, so check against the .pdf.

The spreadsheet used this method and found XP tracking is close to milestone leveling though it does depend on not going off the rails missing or doing extra. But the Difficulty Level is there so the GM knows maybe lvl ones should not go into a Severe 2 at lvl1, because that is the same as an Extreme 1 which will likely TPK.

Trenloe
September 13th, 2019, 21:29
I can find no guidance in the adventure itself...
Yeah, the adventure doesn't give clear indication of when the level up per milestones actually occur.

The clue is in the location title - which includes the encounter threat at the party level. So, "G1. Rotten Copse Severe 2" on page 26 indicates that this is a severe threat encounter for a party of 4 PCs with an average level of 2. So, for XP calculations, the XP for the encounter entered in FG should be based on a party of level 2.

So, this encounter has 3 second level creatures, so each creature will be worth 40 xp (as they're the same level as the party) for a total of 120xp.

sciencephile
September 13th, 2019, 22:59
That all helps guys. To be honest, I haven't had any chance to actually play this system yet and I didn't put two and two together there in regards to the threat level headers.

I will review this in the next day or two and the corrected version should go out during the next Tuesday release.

yarnevk
September 14th, 2019, 00:35
That is why someone on reddit made this spreadsheet, it was not obvious that those titles was difficulty level for the encounters because it might be paragraphs of text talking about the location before it gets to the encounter tables. But that is how the spreadsheet was organized is based on those titles - they just wanted to see if XP keeps up with the chapter leveling milestones.

sciencephile
September 14th, 2019, 03:23
I fixed the issues and sent the file back for the next update. Please note that it will not match exactly to the Excel file you provided as I found about 3-4 issues with it. I don't remember all of them but for example, it lists that are 3 zephyr hawks (as level 2 creatures). In reality, there were 2 zephyr hawks and they are level 3 creatures. Looked like the numbers were just reversed but that affected the xp points for that line.