PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Adventures Ruleset

statik37
September 9th, 2019, 03:01
Hello everyone,

for the last couple months, I have been working on a ruleset for Star Trek Adventures. Aside from the inventory tab which I totally hate and don't know what to do with yet, I am finished with Phase 2. Phase 3 is to make it look pretty graphically. Right now, all the graphics were done by Ian Kirby, whose extension I borrowed a bit from. Since they are not mine, I want to make new ones.

Either way, at this point, I would like to start testing the ruleset. I am attaching it here. If you play STA, and are able to, I would love as many people to use it and give me any and all feedback. The more people that use it, the more bugs I can find and the better I can make it.

My next step, after graphics, is to start converting all the books into modules. I am in talks with Modiphius now about it. I won't be able to release those for free, since they are not my IP, but I am hoping that I can send it to them, and they can release it to the public.

Thank you for all your help in improving this ruleset. I look forward to hearing from people.

UPDATE: I have been taken on as a Dev for the Commercial version of the ruleset. Because of that, I have taken this one down as not to conflict with other versions.

Talen
September 9th, 2019, 03:04
Looking forward to trying it out!

viresanimi
September 9th, 2019, 07:21
I have put the file into the ruleset folder, but I don't see the ruleset on the create campaign list.

Also I tried to extract the files to see if I could find the flaw and needed a password? I was hoping to try to skin it myself and access would be nice. Thanks.

Vires Animi

damned
September 9th, 2019, 09:32
The File has been password protected. statik37 will need to provide an unprotected version.

statik37
September 9th, 2019, 13:11
Sorry about that. I forgot I had that set to auto protect things I zip. I removed the password now.

viresanimi
September 9th, 2019, 14:12
This looks really good. Good job sir! I love the NPC sheet. So great when there is space to work with. Well done!

I did get an error when pressing the rank field on the charactersheet: Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/stalibrary.lua"]:103: attempt to index a nil value

Vires Animi

statik37
September 9th, 2019, 14:23
It seems to do that only the first time you create a character in the first session of running the ruleset. I think I fixed it. I will update it now.

statik37
September 10th, 2019, 17:00
I'm teaching myself Adobe Illustrator, and I made better? sidebar buttons. Let me know what you think.

Trenloe
September 10th, 2019, 17:16
I'm teaching myself Adobe Illustrator, and I made better? sidebar buttons. Let me know what you think.

They look lovely!

aceman67
September 10th, 2019, 17:49
I said on Facebook that I would give this a go next payday, but you intrigued me, so I re-subbed for an Ult License (I plan on running campaigns for an Online Gaming Community I'm in, UFPlanets), and wow.

This is amazing.

Now I just have to set it all up and surprise everyone!

Can't wait to see your finished product, especially if you do a full LCARS theme!

statik37
September 10th, 2019, 18:35
I said on Facebook that I would give this a go next payday, but you intrigued me, so I re-subbed for an Ult License (I plan on running campaigns for an Online Gaming Community I'm in, UFPlanets), and wow.

This is amazing.

Now I just have to set it all up and surprise everyone!

Can't wait to see your finished product, especially if you do a full LCARS theme!

If you stream it online, please let me know where. I would love to see how it works in the wild.

viresanimi
September 10th, 2019, 19:59
Seems like the Medicine button on the ship sheet isn't working.

Vires Animi

statik37
September 10th, 2019, 20:35
Seems like the Medicine button on the ship sheet isn't working.

Vires Animi

Thank you, fixed.

Art Wendorf
September 12th, 2019, 21:16
Looks quite nice. Took me a second to figure out how it works, but I'm not that bright!

statik37
September 13th, 2019, 13:39
With the help of the awesome Damned, I got most of the graphics updated. Still got some to do, but it is looking much better now.

aceman67
September 13th, 2019, 13:47
Glad to hear!

I'm going to be spending much of my weekend campaign building, so I'll be on the look out for any bugs.

Art Wendorf
September 13th, 2019, 16:25
Getting better and better!!!

aceman67
September 13th, 2019, 18:11
Just got the chance to take a look at the new set up, and I have to say that it looks great.

Two things:

1) Some of the colours, the red used for the Images & Maps, Quests and Items buttons especially, are not traditional LCARS colours, this site here has more screen accurate HEX codes for the colours: https://codepen.io/Mokurunner/details/eqtHl

2) The chat frame is too large, you knocked it out of the park with your older frame, thin and understated. This one takes upp too much screen real estate.

Lastly, I don't know too much about font options within Fantasy Grounds, but here's a link to the Okuda Font, which is used for all LCARS displays: https://www.dafont.com/okuda.font

viresanimi
September 13th, 2019, 18:24
I would agree that the colours aren't my cup of tea, but its not bad. I disagree on the chatframe. Looks good to me.

You may want to find the tabtop.png and make it transparent. The rank error is now on every rank up instead of just a couple of them. So the fix made it worse. The frame for ships hasn't been updated yet.

Nice improvements overall. Keep up the good work!

Vires Animi

statik37
September 16th, 2019, 15:02
Sorry for the delay in response. In the middle of moving, so was not near a computer much this weekend.

Two things:

1) Some of the colours, the red used for the Images & Maps, Quests and Items buttons especially, are not traditional LCARS colours, this site here has more screen accurate HEX codes for the colours: https://codepen.io/Mokurunner/details/eqtHl

I was actually using that, but I must have messed that one up. I made the adjustments to the colors and will upload a new file shortly.

2) The chat frame is too large, you knocked it out of the park with your older frame, thin and understated. This one takes upp too much screen real estate.

The old design wasn't mine, and I didn't want to use someone else's design. I also wanted it to look more like the LCARS display that it was. I can shrink the design down some, if people think I should.

Lastly, I don't know too much about font options within Fantasy Grounds, but here's a link to the Okuda Font, which is used for all LCARS displays: https://www.dafont.com/okuda.font

I hadn't done anything really with the font yet. The one I will be using, based on Memory Alpha is Swiss 911 Ultra Compressed. The sidebar buttons are currently using them, but I have not yet converted all the fonts to that yet. It is on the list, but it's near the bottom. It shouldn't take more than a few hours to make that adjustment, assuming nothing goes wrong. I could prioritize that to see how it looks and get people opinions.

statik37
September 16th, 2019, 15:26
I would agree that the colours aren't my cup of tea, but its not bad. I disagree on the chatframe. Looks good to me.

I would be happy to pick different colors. I tried to choose the ones that were bright enough to not make the whole thing look too gloomy. I also tried to use diferent and contrasting colors, because I always felt, unless under red alert or something, the displays seemed to use contrasts. I could be misremembering. I am also not a graphics person and literally learned Adobe a week ago to do this. Any suggestions on what the color scheme should be, would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to find the tabtop.png and make it transparent.

I did notice that, and was planning to rectify it. I will get that worked on soon.

The rank error is now on every rank up instead of just a couple of them. So the fix made it worse.

I will look into this and see if I can figure it out. Just so I know, does it happen every time you change rank, or just the first time. I was able to recreate it, but only for the first time I clicked over to Ensign. Once the cells were filled in, the error went away. Any info you can give me would be great.

The frame for ships hasn't been updated yet.

That I know. I was lucky enough to have Damned volunteer to do some of the graphics for me. So, outside of the chatbox and sidebar, those were generously done by him. Which saved me a ton of work. He had already spent a few hours on the project for free, and I didn't want to ask for any more from him, considering he wasn't asking for compensation. Because of that, there is still a lot of images that need to be updated. As I said earlier graphics is my weakest area, so that part may be slow going. My goal is to update, basically all images used and make them more in theme. There are a ton of images, and it's going to be slow going. Please, by all means, keep mentioning these things. It helps me to prioritize which ones to do first.

Also, as I said earlier, any insight from someone with more graphical experience would be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Nice improvements overall. Keep up the good work!

Thank you. It's been a long process, but I have been having so much fun doing it. And all this feedback is so awesome to me. I am very humbled by everyone's thoughts and opinions. This is literally my first foray into FG coding, and I have had to learn LUA as I went. I'm loving it. I'm already thinking about what ruleset I could do next, because this project is nearing the end, at least for the coding, and I want to do it again.

LordEntrails
September 16th, 2019, 18:05
I would be happy to pick different colors. I tried to choose the ones that were bright enough to not make the whole thing look too gloomy. I also tried to use diferent and contrasting colors, because I always felt, unless under red alert or something, the displays seemed to use contrasts. I could be misremembering. I am also not a graphics person and literally learned Adobe a week ago to do this. Any suggestions on what the color scheme should be, would be greatly appreciated.
Find an existing LCARS graphic you like the colors from, i.e. Google image search. Download it then use an online color pocket to get the RGB values. Sho yo ld make that part simple.

statik37
September 16th, 2019, 20:52
I updated to code, I think I have now officially fixed the error when selecting a rank. The issue was I had the code activate when you switched the rank. The issue was, unless you first went to the Abilities tab first, the fields were never created in the database. I fixed the code to now create the fields as soon as you hit the rank field. If that doesn't fix it, I will have to look into it further, but I tried to recreate the error many times, and it seems ok now.

statik37
September 21st, 2019, 14:06
New updates to the ruleset. All graphics I want to change have been changed. I need to work on some alignment issues that have since popped up, but as far as I am concerned, this ruleset is ready for use.

Besides the alignment of cells and icons, if there are any bugs, or if any window frames have not been updated, please let me know so I can get them fixed.

Art Wendorf
September 21st, 2019, 15:22
I love it! Very nice. Thank you so much!

statik37
September 28th, 2019, 04:08
Hay all,

I just created a Discord server. If anyone would like to join, I will be giving updates, and it will be a good place to send me feedback.

To be clear, I will still be updating the ruleset here, but I am trying to organize thing a little better. Feel free to join.

https://discord.gg/PcQcQsg

chillybilly
October 7th, 2019, 14:34
This is a really nice, functional ruleset! Thank you for sharing it!

viresanimi
October 7th, 2019, 18:54
Been working slowly to create a module with everything I need, and noticed something.

If you make anything, you can link on the character / NPC sheet, be it race, talent etc, this ruleset does NOT create a copy of said race, talent, what have you on the charactersheet, but just links to the original, unlike other rulesets. This means, that if you wanted to, say change your race ever so slightly to fit a background story or whatever, you would need to make a copy of that entry apart from the original. Store it in the campaign somewhere, instead of having it just on the charactersheet, where you could edit it without changing the original.

This might seem like a small thing, but if you ever even think about customizing anything from the ruleset, you're in for some serious need to keep track of stuff you normally would never think of in Fantasy Grounds.

I work as an archivist. I notice these things. Not really a problem for me, as I know how to handle such things, but I would highly recommend amending this problem for the future.

Vires Animi

statik37
October 9th, 2019, 02:14
Been working slowly to create a module with everything I need, and noticed something.

If you make anything, you can link on the character / NPC sheet, be it race, talent etc, this ruleset does NOT create a copy of said race, talent, what have you on the charactersheet, but just links to the original, unlike other rulesets. This means, that if you wanted to, say change your race ever so slightly to fit a background story or whatever, you would need to make a copy of that entry apart from the original. Store it in the campaign somewhere, instead of having it just on the charactersheet, where you could edit it without changing the original.

This might seem like a small thing, but if you ever even think about customizing anything from the ruleset, you're in for some serious need to keep track of stuff you normally would never think of in Fantasy Grounds.

I work as an archivist. I notice these things. Not really a problem for me, as I know how to handle such things, but I would highly recommend amending this problem for the future.

Vires Animi

I'm not sure I understand. Can you tell me which ruleset you are referring to?

viresanimi
October 9th, 2019, 04:09
I think pretty much every ruleset copies things you drag and drop on charactersheets. But as an example. D&D 5e. If you open the list of feats and drag it on to a character. Open the feat in the feat list. Press the link on the charactersheet. There will now be two feats open, which are the exact same. The difference is, that one has been copied on to the charactersheet.

The point being, that if you change the one on the charactersheet, you do NOT change the original.

Does that make sense?

Vires Animi

statik37
October 9th, 2019, 05:01
Yes it does.

So, I looked at 5E. It looks like this is something with only on a few things. For example, any of the Premade races and classes, once dragged, I can't even unlock them. However, if I make a custom race or class, then I can unlock it, and any changes I make will also change the original entry.

Feats is a little different because, as you pointed out, it makes a copy. I will look at the code more closely tomorrow to see if I can find the difference.

That said, any changes you make right now will will change the main entry, but only for that campaign. It will not mess with the actual modules.

As far as i can think, I don't know what would need to be changed that wouldn't effect everyone. If you modify the Vulcan, than I think all Vulcans would have the same modification. I do know there are certain traits that could adjust scores. I have not looked into those yet to address it, because I need to read through it again, and play it more to find those side cases.

If there is something specific I should be looking at that would need to be adjusted on a PC by PC basis, let me know. If you want to take it to Discord, so we don't have to bog down the forums, that's fine too.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2019, 05:09
Even in mainstream rulesets there are some records that are just linked to the library/campaign record used to add them to the PC - usually race, class and background (if that exists in the ruleset). Other records (feats, abilities, items, spells) have their data copied to the character record.

rob2e
October 10th, 2019, 09:05
Great effort on this. Would love to see it when it's finished. Nice work!

Voxpopuli
October 11th, 2019, 19:37
Love it! Thanks for the hard work!

statik37
October 14th, 2019, 16:44
UPDATE: I have been taken on as a Dev for the Commercial version of the ruleset. Because of that, I have taken this one down as not to conflict with other versions.

Thank you for all the insight, and I will take all suggestions with me as I work on this going forward.

Trenloe
October 14th, 2019, 16:45
Great news! Best of luck with the ongoing development.

viresanimi
October 14th, 2019, 17:08
That sounds fantastic. I hope this means we can also hope for official modules in the future. Best of luck with it, I am sure you will do great!

Vires Animi

Ludus Dominus
October 14th, 2019, 17:29
thanks for all your hard work on this project.

Talen
October 14th, 2019, 18:18
That's exciting new. I hope to see a final product soon!

Talen
October 17th, 2019, 15:52
For anyone that is interested in seeing what a Star Trek Adventures game is like, I will be running a STA game at FG Con on Friday November 8. Newcomers to Star Trek or Fantasy Grounds are welcome and pre gens will be provided. You can sign up https://www.fg-con.com/events/

LordEntrails
October 17th, 2019, 16:26
For anyone that is interested in seeing what a Star Trek Adventures game is like, I will be running a STA game at FG Con on Friday November 8. Newcomers to Star Trek or Fantasy Grounds are welcome and pre gens will be provided. You can sign up https://www.fg-con.com/events/
I got to play STA with Talen a few months back for a FGCollege event. Lots of fun. Good ruleset that seems to have only gotten better.

Talen, what scenario did you run for FGC? I'd like to play more, but don't want to duplicate!

viresanimi
October 17th, 2019, 16:49
I signed up as well. would really like to learn more about the system, as I have players pestering me to get reading... heheh

Vires Animi

Talen
October 17th, 2019, 17:11
Hi Lord Entrails,

The scenario I am running at fg con is a continuation of what we ran at the founders day game. So, it will be new to you. Its episodic so new comers dont need to have played in the previous game.

I got to play STA with Talen a few months back for a FGCollege event. Lots of fun. Good ruleset that seems to have only gotten better.

Talen, what scenario did you run for FGC? I'd like to play more, but don't want to duplicate!

mozmonar
February 4th, 2020, 16:35
Is there any estimate as to when this will be available for purchase?

statik37
February 4th, 2020, 19:09
Is there any estimate as to when this will be available for purchase?

We are finalizing Conan right now, and waiting on contract negotiations between Modiphius and FG. Once they agree we will be passing Conan off to them, and starting STA. We suspect it not to take too long to get it finished, as it's most of the way there already.

Jonbens
April 9th, 2020, 02:41
Hi all,

I've been running a local game partly live and partly on FG (Well, mostly on Fantasy Grounds the last month or so given the recent situation). I've been thinking about buying FG-Unity, but of course, I'm not sure if I'd be able to continue an ST-A game if I did. So, a couple of questions. The ST-A Add-On its current version will not work with Unity, Correct? Also, given that you're thinking of going into a formal arrangement with FG (with a formal ST-A Add-on) will this be for Unity at all in the future? Anyway, wanted to also say thanks for what you've done on this so far. Its made my current game possible. :)

statik37
April 9th, 2020, 12:28
Conan has been finished and is now in the hands of Smiteworks for final testing. We have started working on STA. We are looking to have that done in the next 60 days. We are currently not coding it to Unity, but it should, in theory, still work. Once Untiy is out of Beta and the code has been officially set, we will go back and bring these up to date.

On last check Conan worked in Untiy, the only issue was the custom die we put in there errored out and will not display, but everything else seemed to work. My assumption is the same will be said about STA, but I won't know for sure until we get it fully built and start testing it.

Jonbens
April 9th, 2020, 18:22
Very exciting to hear about. I can't wait to try it. Thanks for all of your work on this over the last few years!

sebdesf01
April 9th, 2020, 21:36
I is that normal i can't load the library for star trek adventures???

daddystabz
April 13th, 2020, 10:28
Any idea when the commercial version of this will be available for purchase?

statik37
April 13th, 2020, 17:54
Any idea when the commercial version of this will be available for purchase?

Conan has been finished and is now in the hands of Smiteworks for final testing. We have started working on STA. We are looking to have that done in the next 60 days. We are currently not coding it to Unity, but it should, in theory, still work. Once Untiy is out of Beta and the code has been officially set, we will go back and bring these up to date.

On last check Conan worked in Untiy, the only issue was the custom die we put in there errored out and will not display, but everything else seemed to work. My assumption is the same will be said about STA, but I won't know for sure until we get it fully built and start testing it.

^^^

LightBringer
May 18th, 2020, 18:30
Are we close? Archer out. :ninja:

Tyrannosaurus VeX
May 21st, 2020, 21:28

I'd also like to know. Statik implied late June was the target time for release ... is that still true?

EDIT: Also, please tell me the notes section is called "Personnel Logs" for this ruleset ;)

ClubFantasci
May 24th, 2020, 03:51
I have registered on your website. Awaiting the Beta!

statik37
May 26th, 2020, 15:28

We are pretty close.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
May 26th, 2020, 16:27
We are pretty close.

YES! Good! Let the hate flow ...

Wait. Wrong "Star" show ...

Whew almost screwed that one up.

https://imgur.com/QrmFIQ6.jpg

LightBringer
May 26th, 2020, 20:02
Make it so <3

We are pretty close.

Jonbens
June 11th, 2020, 00:09
Late June still the target?

Jonbens
June 12th, 2020, 04:08
What web site?

Trenloe
June 12th, 2020, 10:53
What web site?
See the link in statik37's signature.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
June 16th, 2020, 04:06
Waiting for this ruleset is killing me!

Jonbens
July 13th, 2020, 19:31
Any new updates on the Star Trek:Adventures rules set? Can't wait for this. FG is my Go To for Virtual Tabletop and Modiphius is the first System that seems to have gotten Trek right, from the way they handle Social Conflict to the threat level increase when you escalate combat to Lethal. Let me know if there's any news.

statik37
July 13th, 2020, 20:00
We're getting there.

Jonbens
July 13th, 2020, 20:27
Cool! Glad you're making progress. The rule set as is sort of saved my GMing plans, but definitely can't wait. Need any beta testers?

JeffKnight
July 29th, 2020, 21:21
We're getting there.

*cracks the whip... unless you like the whip, in which case, it is not cracked.

Trenloe
July 29th, 2020, 21:24
Get lots of Star Trek Adventures PDFs on Humble Bundle right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-adventures-rpg-modiphius-books

GrizzledNoob
August 8th, 2020, 15:09
Will this be similar to Paizo items where owning the PDF through the publisher gives a discount on the Fantasy Grounds purchases?

Valarian
August 8th, 2020, 16:19
Reminder that there's also my community ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44138-Star-Trek-Adventures-Ruleset-and-Extension) while you await the official ruleset to come out.

cboillot
August 11th, 2020, 16:47
Get lots of Star Trek Adventures PDFs on Humble Bundle right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-adventures-rpg-modiphius-books

I will finally be getting STA now, thanks to this. And this will increase the need for a ruleset for FG (at least for me).

Jonbens
August 11th, 2020, 17:05
Hi Valatian. Is this an update for the rules set? The last version I downloaded of comm version doesn't have STA 6 sided dice...just normal 6 sided.

Valarian
August 11th, 2020, 18:31
Hi Valatian. Is this an update for the rules set? The last version I downloaded of comm version doesn't have STA 6 sided dice...just normal 6 sided.
The Challenge Dice are a custom die, available by right-clicking the d6 and selecting the CD from the radial menu.

Jonbens
August 11th, 2020, 23:41
Ahhhhhh!. Okm. I had not seen that. Thanks!

Morik
August 18th, 2020, 06:51
So, I've made some pretty extensive modules for this (all of the npcs and ships from the core book, beta quadrant, starter set, and quickstart, plus era modules with appropriate npcs, ships, and pcs). I'm looking to add to them (I have all of the books except the Gamma Quadrant and Delta Quadrant). However, I'm torn... If the official ruleset is coming soon, I don't want to put the work in and then not use it. Do we know anything about a potential timeline? Are we looking at a month? Six months? I know that no one can give exact details, but do we have an estimate? If I'm waiting six months, I'll continue, but if we're looking at a couple of weeks, I'll just use what I already have made.

Trenloe
August 18th, 2020, 08:25
Maybe ask on the Facebook page of the company doing the conversion: https://www.facebook.com/NerdEyeGames/

Morik
August 18th, 2020, 12:10
Thank you

cboillot
September 16th, 2020, 19:54
FYI Just got word that the Star Trek Adventures rule set should be hitting beta testing in the next week or two
https://nerdeyegames.com/Forums/forumid/4/threadid/91/scope/posts/Star-Trek-Adventures-Beta-Program

Jonbens
September 19th, 2020, 17:08
How do you get involved with the Beta Test. Is anyone who has fantasy grounds admitted?

cboillot
September 20th, 2020, 04:36
How do you get involved with the Beta Test. Is anyone who has fantasy grounds admitted?

I would ask on the developer's web site.

Fortunae
October 25th, 2020, 01:33
Hello everyone,

for the last couple months, I have been working on a ruleset for Star Trek Adventures. Aside from the inventory tab which I totally hate and don't know what to do with yet, I am finished with Phase 2. Phase 3 is to make it look pretty graphically. Right now, all the graphics were done by Ian Kirby, whose extension I borrowed a bit from. Since they are not mine, I want to make new ones.

Either way, at this point, I would like to start testing the ruleset. I am attaching it here. If you play STA, and are able to, I would love as many people to use it and give me any and all feedback. The more people that use it, the more bugs I can find and the better I can make it.

My next step, after graphics, is to start converting all the books into modules. I am in talks with Modiphius now about it. I won't be able to release those for free, since they are not my IP, but I am hoping that I can send it to them, and they can release it to the public.

Thank you for all your help in improving this ruleset. I look forward to hearing from people.

Any updates on when the commercial version will ship? (No pun intended).

cboillot
October 26th, 2020, 17:09
From the dev site: "We just met on this, we will be making a public announcement soon."

Jonbens
October 26th, 2020, 18:02
Hi. Yes, saw this. Hopefully in the next few days you think? Of course, announcement doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to release or start a beta.