PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a Random Question

steev42
October 25th, 2006, 04:45
When I start a FG server for a game, does it actually connect to the internet before it gets a client connecting?

The reason I ask is because of my router setup--there are two ways to open the port, one to a particular IP address, the other opens it to a computer when that PC uses it outbound. The latter method doesn't seem to work, so I'm guessing that FG doesn't have any outbound traffic on it's 1802 port until there are clients connecting.

I'd just like to confirm it, or see if anyone has a way around it. It's a (admittedly small) pain to track down my IP address every session and adjust my router to forward to the proper PC.

Cavalieri
October 25th, 2006, 14:13
Not sure what kind of router you've got, but what I do for things like FG is to set a "reserved" address for my computer... that way my internal address is always the same and then I don't have to change my router setup every time.

So my router is 192.168.0.1 and I have it set to make my laptop 192.168.0.5 then I set my port forwarding to use that IP and I don't have to worry about it again.

Griogre
October 25th, 2006, 18:44
When I start a FG server for a game, does it actually connect to the internet before it gets a client connecting?

Not really. Most servers basically just sit around and "listen" for connections. They pretty much do nothing until someone connects to them then they repond to the clients. The only thing the server does when it starts is if there is an alias, send the current external IP address to the FG alias server. From you experience, I would guess it doesn't use 1802 to do this.