PDA

View Full Version : Charsheet crashes

badphantom
October 23rd, 2006, 12:46
Hi,

when using the ruleset i've created in our sessions, it happens that everytime i access the player's charsheet and then close it, FG crashes.
Also sometimes the players disconnect as effect of entering something into the charsheet.

I tried to reproduce that failure without players online, but in that case nothing happens, it works just fine.

I got stuck to find the failure.

Does anyone have ideas how to fix that problem?
or at least, how it is caused ?

All charsheets have been completely new, so there's no older variable stored as that's a problem i know about.

Thanks

Toadwart
October 29th, 2006, 07:37
Hmm, sounds like a tricky one to pinpoint.
Have had similar problems before when I made the dimensions for a field too small for text to fit into it. Seemed to work find but crashed fg as soon as the charsheet was closed. But that happened regardeless of wheter or not players were connected in.

Did you try re-creating it with 2 sessions of FG on the same PC (one hosting and the other connecting as a player)? or did you just try opening the character sheets within a single host session?

I'm afraid all I can suggest is removing big chunks of the xml (whole tabs and/or groups of fields) and running trial sessions until you find a cut-down sheet that doesn't crash, then slowly put xml back in until you hit the problem. It's a pain but might be the only way to hone in on the problem area . . .

badphantom
October 29th, 2006, 21:20
Phew, okay :(

Well, i haven't tried yet to use one pc as host and client.
I'm gonna test that first.

Thanks Toadwart.

joshuha
October 29th, 2006, 22:32
Thats what I normally do. Usually when designing charsheets I do one tab at a time so I can narrow down any issues.

Just cut and paste the code portions into another file and add them back in chunks until the crash happens.

Toadwart
October 29th, 2006, 23:15
Be careful to use a different campaign and/or a different character for local testing.

Had some problems awhile back where one of my players charactersheets kept getting reverted to old data. I think it was because I had been using his character to test some ruleset changes (looked like FG created a local copy in the campaign folder when I was testing and that sometimes overwrote his 'real' sheet ... haven't seen the problem since I deleted my local copy of his sheet and started only using a separate test character for all my testing ...)

badphantom
November 2nd, 2006, 17:13
Well, no problems when using host and client on one pc.

I assume, it's the same problem as you had, Toadwart.
I will see if it works next session, as i and players ( hopefully ) have deleted older sheets and campaigns.

Anyhow, that's strange and really not obvious :-/

Toadwart
November 6th, 2006, 21:33
Yeah, was really confusing and am not sure I pinpointed exactly what was going on. Still seems strange that I ended up splatting his character with an older copy . . .