PDA

View Full Version : Occluders disappearing

Zacchaeus
August 25th, 2019, 11:38
So, yesterday I spent a few hours adding LOS to several of the maps in Descent of Avernus. This morning when I went to continue I found the occluders were no longer on any of the maps that I had done. I checked the moduledb file and the occluders were listed in there. Thinking a restart might help I exited and reopened Unity and checked again and again the occluders were not there. What was worse was that when I checked the moduledb file the occluder information was completely gone. So as a test I opened up Unity again; added some occluders to one of the Avernus maps; checked that they had been added to the moduledb file; then exited and restarted Unity. When I checked the map that I had worked on I found that the occluders were not showing even although they still showed on the moduledb file. I then exited Unity and the moduledb updated removing the occluders.

Now, of course, Avernus is not yet released and so was sitting on my system as a module in the modules folder. So I then loaded up Dragon Heist which is in the vault and tested that and found that the occluders remained even after exiting and restarting. I then further tested on a module of my own maps from the modules folder and the results were the same as for Avernus.

The conclusion then is that if a module is in the modules folder then the occluders don't get registered when the program is loaded back up and furthermore the occluders get deleted when you exit because they didn't register.

ddavison
August 26th, 2019, 14:55
Thanks for reporting this Philip. I have forwarded it to John and Carl. I periodically zip up the contents of moduledb just in case I do something stupid like delete my map -- and to protect from the program doing that for me. :)

Zacchaeus
August 26th, 2019, 15:32
Thanks for reporting this Philip. I have forwarded it to John and Carl. I periodically zip up the contents of moduledb just in case I do something stupid like delete my map -- and to protect from the program doing that for me. :)

Indeed, I have learned to do this now as well. A harsh lesson to be sure but one that I'll remember :)

Moon Wizard
August 26th, 2019, 17:07
Hmm, thanks for the sleuthing. I don't know why it would only happen for modules folder info, and not vault info; but I'll get it in our tracking as a higher priority item.

Added as task FGU-454.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 29th, 2019, 01:22
Just pushed an update that should fix this, if you can give it another try for me.

Thanks,
JPG

Zacchaeus
August 29th, 2019, 11:05
Moon Wizard - considerable progress. After updating I created a new campaign and loaded up Descent into Avernus. I added a few occluders to the first map in the list, closed Unity, reopened and the occluders were still there. I added some more and repeated the process a few times and each time the occluder information persisted and I was able to add more and the information was retained over several restarts. I kept a close eye on the .xml file and the occluder information stayed where it was. I added some more occluders to another map and everything looks fine. As a further test I repeated the procedure with a module in the vault and again the occluder information was retained through several reloads. So I think this one has been nailed.

The bad news is that map pin information is still being wiped. Pins initially work when a map is loaded at first and still work after occluders have been added. However when Unity is closed and reopened the pins no longer link on that map. They still work ok on maps that have not been worked on. When Unity is exited or the campaign is saved after this initial reopening the pin information is removed from the .xml file. As an experiment I readded some map pins to one map where the pins didn't work and whilst the pins worked initially again on exit the information was wiped. Furthermore I noted that I could not move a pin once it had been placed; nor could I move any existing pins. It's as if the pins are invisible to the program.

Just one further point; I notice that now only the maps that I worked on show up in the moduledb file. Looking back at my previous Avernus file I notice that every image with pins on it is present in the .xml file including ones that I didn't do any work on either because they didn't need any occluder info or I hadn't got to them yet. I don't know if this has any relevance or not.

pindercarl
August 29th, 2019, 15:26
Unable to drag pins has already been added as issue FGU-372. I'll let John comment on the remaining issues.

Moon Wizard
August 29th, 2019, 18:31
Let me look into the issue with the pins not working after editing and reloading.

The inability to move pins is already filed as task FGU-372 as Carl mentioned, so that's probably a separate item.

On the moduledb file, all image values were incorrectly being flagged as edited at load time whenever they were contained at least one link. That was fixed as part of the last build. Images should only be marked as edited (and thus the edits saved), if you actually edited them. :)

Thanks,
JPG

Zacchaeus
August 29th, 2019, 20:26
Unable to drag pins has already been added as issue FGU-372. I'll let John comment on the remaining issues.

The inability to move pins is already filed as task FGU-372 as Carl mentioned, so that's probably a separate item.

Alright, alright. I'll pay more attention :)

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2019, 01:10
Lol. No need to worry about that, just report away. We'll just respond with the details that the task is already filed. That's apparently one of my new jobs. :)

JPG

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2019, 00:51
The latest update should fix the issue you were seeing with the shortcuts not working after editing and reloading.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2019, 00:53
Ooh, right. I’ll check up on that tomorrow.

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2019, 13:11
Moon Wizard

All looks good. I tested a couple of maps over a number of modules and all of the occluder and map pin information are still there after several restarts and general playing around with it.

Jolly Good all round.