PDA

View Full Version : From Classic To Unity

FilippoC
August 24th, 2019, 09:24
Hi everyone,

I have only recently invested in Fantasy Grounds (needless to say, it is the best VTT). But I have today only found out about Unity.

So the question would be: do my FGC Ultimate license and 5e modules carry over FGU?

Thanks!

stephan_
August 24th, 2019, 09:47
The modules yes, the license no (though FGC - Fantasy Grounds Classic - will probably still be supported for some period of time).

See e.g. here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43254-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-FAQ) and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49323-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-will-we-still-be-able-to-use-quot-old-quot-Fantasy-Grounds-license).

FilippoC
August 24th, 2019, 09:55
OK, thanks for the links.

Mighnus
August 24th, 2019, 13:54
I bought the Ultimate License three days ago and now I've read this. I'm very angry that I bought the soon outdated license and will soon be able to buy the new one. I will try to undo the purchase and if that shouldn't be possible, it was my last purchase...

Kelrugem
August 24th, 2019, 14:13
No worries, there is a 30-day refund guarantee :) And there may (or may not) be a discount for an upgrade to the unity license as in the Kickstarter (so far no price table yet). Many people also suggest using the subscription for ultimate instead until Unity comes out :) (but maybe then no discount when there is some for lifetime license holders of the classic version)

LordEntrails
August 24th, 2019, 16:52
I bought the Ultimate License three days ago and now I've read this. I'm very angry that I bought the soon outdated license and will soon be able to buy the new one. I will try to undo the purchase and if that shouldn't be possible, it was my last purchase...
As mentioned, their is a 30 day refund policy.

But instead ask yourself this, what are you going to do between now and the as yet unannounced release date of FGU? (Yes we expect FGU to be released in December, but that is only a target date.) FGC will continue to work for many months or several years after FGU is released.

It is likely that people who have bought FGC will get a discount on FGU, and the more recent you have bought, the larger the discount. But we can only assume that since pricing has not been announced and that is how pricing was handled on the FGU Kickstarter.

Know that any DLC/content you buy for FGC will work for FGU. It is only the licenses that are not interchangeable.

Also, if you wish to use FGC now, but not pay for a one-time lump sum license that you think will soon be outdated, you can always subscribe to a FGC license and pay a monthly fee instead.

Finally, think to yourself, do you get angry when you go to the store and buy something only to learn the next time you are at the store that their is a newer model of the same thing? Does the store give you a discount because you bought the previous model only last week? No, they (usually) don't. But you can expect a discount for FGU.

Mytherus
August 27th, 2019, 00:05
Doug already stated that FGC isn't going to instantly go away just when FGU comes out. I've only been a customer of Smiteworks for a year (but I've spend hundreds in that year! LOL) - I enjoy their product immensely and as such I've read articles, watched youtube vids...I've never seen them NOT be as fair as possible to their customers.

They really seem to actually care about their customers.

JohnQPublic
August 27th, 2019, 01:03

Return it and pay $10/mo until Unity comes out.

Mighnus
August 27th, 2019, 16:12
No worries, there is a 30-day refund guarantee :)

As mentioned, their is a 30 day refund policy.

I bought the license from Steam. Steam does not take back the license. I also pointed out the 30 day money back guarantee, but it was simply ignored. What can I do now?

Nylanfs
August 27th, 2019, 16:12
Email [email protected]

LordEntrails
August 27th, 2019, 20:23
Steam has a different return policy than the FG Store does. I believe Steam is a 2 hour of use policy, and it's not something SmiteWorks has control over. But, that said, reach out to support, maybe they can do something I'm not aware of.

artreri
December 8th, 2019, 09:33
Ugh... Unity? I guess i will just trust that there is a transition plan in place... And I hopefully didn't just waste a lot of time and money so close to a new release... Otherwise... I definitely want a return and would rather get the new hotness for both FG and the Core Module I picked up... Assuming it doesn't just carry over (I'd hope for people buying in a 30 day window of release). Looks like everything is going to fine from what I found looking around... too bad I didn't hop on back with the Kickstarter... especially in May... I had some $ to burn.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2019, 12:21
Ugh... Unity? I guess i will just trust that there is a transition plan in place... And I hopefully didn't just waste a lot of time and money so close to a new release... Otherwise... I definitely want a return and would rather get the new hotness for both FG and the Core Module I picked up... Assuming it doesn't just carry over (I'd hope for people buying in a 30 day window of release). Looks like everything is going to fine from what I found looking around... too bad I didn't hop on back with the Kickstarter... especially in May... I had some $ to burn.
All DLC bought for FG Classic from the Fantasy Grounds store or Steam will work with Fantasy Grounds Unity.

Upgrade pricing listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52411-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-Pricing-and-Upgrade-Paths

Squeak
December 8th, 2019, 13:38
All DLC bought for FG Classic from the Fantasy Grounds store or Steam will work with Fantasy Grounds Unity.

Upgrade pricing listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52411-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity-Pricing-and-Upgrade-Paths

Just to be absolutely sure - this means that even THIRD PARTY adventures and handbooks bought either directly from your store or Steam will if necessary be updated to work with Unity also.
Is that correct? So the only DLC that might not work is third party materials bought from say DMSguild or suchlike?

damned
December 8th, 2019, 14:47
Just to be absolutely sure - this means that even THIRD PARTY adventures and handbooks bought either directly from your store or Steam will if necessary be updated to work with Unity also.
Is that correct? So the only DLC that might not work is third party materials bought from say DMSguild or suchlike?

It is the aim. I suppose its likely that some products might take much longer to be converted/updated or some may be deemed unsuitable. But certainly the vast majority of content will be updated.

mattekure
December 8th, 2019, 15:06
For DMG products, obviously the author who posted it would need to do any conversion work. But you can always bug them about it on DMG.

LordEntrails
December 8th, 2019, 18:02
The danger with 3rd party content is that FGU parses XML more strictly than FGC did. So if the developer did some manual XML stuff in their module and did things that worked in FGC but don't in FGU, then they will have to update that.

The only thing I can recall at the moment that this might be is comments. Comments in FGC XML could be done in a way that aren't legitimate in FGU. But, since DMsG products are not encrypted, even is the publisher doesn't update them, each person could do their own if needed.

Bendas the Crimson
September 28th, 2020, 14:57
I've already bought FGU, I might actually be useful to have both, I've a friend who has a really old PC that only has 32bit OS, so if/when I need to DM for him it'll come in handy. Thanks for the advice though.

My initial question, I'd like to reframe it but for fantasy grounds classic

Trenloe
September 28th, 2020, 15:15
I've already bought FGU, I might actually be useful to have both, I've a friend who has a really old PC that only has 32bit OS, so if/when I need to DM for him it'll come in handy. Thanks for the advice though.

My initial question, I'd like to reframe it but for fantasy grounds classic
Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Bendas the Crimson
September 28th, 2020, 15:21
Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Honestly? No

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2020, 16:28
Honestly? No
Why don't you start a new thread and pose your question there? Someone will be happy to help :)

Note that if it is ruleset specific it is requested that you ask it those questions in the ruleset specific sub-forum. If it is Unity specific, please ask in the Unity sub-forum.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2020, 16:30
Why don't you start a new thread and pose your question there? Someone will be happy to help :)
It was already created: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62327-I-ve-put-in-the-wrong-IP-address-and-now-I-can-t-seen-to-change-it

Posting here in the wrong thread without realising, I'm assuming...

Jinxie22
November 8th, 2020, 15:55
Hello,

I've read this thread and I think, as a DM, I understand the change from FGC to FGU. I just bought a new Mac and was surprised and annoyed to find that FGC will not run on it but FGU will. I have the FGC Ultimate license and do plan to upgrade to the FGU Ultimate license. My question is if my players have the FGC standard license will they still be able to play if and when I upgrade to the Unity license? Or will they have to use FGU as well? Thanks in advance for any replies.

stephan_
November 8th, 2020, 15:58
FGU is essentially a separate program. (The addons will carry over though.)

So the FGC license will not allow them to connect to Unity.

Note though that players will not need a Standard FGU license if they are connecting to someone with a FGU Ultimate license (same as Classic).