PDA

View Full Version : Buckler - tool-use?

PoohPuss
August 22nd, 2019, 21:10
Does a Buckler that is not raised afford a character the ability to use a two-handed tool like the Healer's Tool (assuming the other hand is empty)?

Bidmaron
August 23rd, 2019, 04:39
This question has been discussed a number of times on the Paizo forums. I can't remember the final consensus, but I recommend you check in this thread (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42o94?No-Sling-Shield#8) and similar.

PoohPuss
August 23rd, 2019, 23:53
It actually proved very easy to answer. Since you don't hold the buckler you can use the hand for whatever you normally could. You just can't have your shield raised while doing it. So using a healer's tool for instance dosen't hinder you from raising the buckler after you're done pouring sulfur on wounds.

Valarian
August 24th, 2019, 07:25
It actually proved very easy to answer. Since you don't hold the buckler you can use the hand for whatever you normally could.
Actually, you do hold a buckler. It's literally a metal plate on a handle. That's how you can get a buckler in between you and an attack. Not sure about the D&D description or mechanics, but I'd rule no as a GM from real-life fencing. If it's basically a disk welded to a vambrace, it'd be fairly useless for protection as you'd have to wait for the blade to come close in before deflecting it and you'd have to bend your arm into some very uncomfortable positions to intercept the blade. The buckler is used to deflect a blade away from the body while still at arm's length.

MaxAstro
August 24th, 2019, 22:24
Actually, you do hold a buckler. It's literally a metal plate on a handle. That's how you can get a buckler in between you and an attack. Not sure about the D&D description or mechanics, but I'd rule no as a GM from real-life fencing. If it's basically a disk welded to a vambrace, it'd be fairly useless for protection as you'd have to wait for the blade to come close in before deflecting it and you'd have to bend your arm into some very uncomfortable positions to intercept the blade. The buckler is used to deflect a blade away from the body while still at arm's length.
The D&D/Pathfinder buckler has always borne no resemblance to a real world buckler. Here is the official description:

This very small shield is a favorite of duelists and quick, lightly armored warriors. It’s typically made of steel and strapped to your forearm. You can Raise a Shield with your buckler as long as you have that hand free or are holding a light object that’s not a weapon in that hand.