PDA

View Full Version : Music Compatible?

Fenarisk
October 20th, 2006, 22:38
I'm really on the fence for buying Fantasy Grounds, it looks like a great application, but I can't seem to find an answer. Is there anyway to stream MP3's or other audio files to players? I usually have a full collection of music on my laptop to set the mood for different areas during a gaming session, and I'd love to do the same thing online through Fantasy Grounds. Just wondering if it's at all possible.

richvalle
October 20th, 2006, 23:06
FG does not currently support sound. Its been debated on whether it should be added or not.

The user board opinion is divided between 'Yes!' and 'Well, ok but later after other things are added'.

It has been suggested that you can stream sound though another 3rd party application. Maybe even the one you use for voice communications (if you do).

Hope that helps.

rv

nezzir
October 22nd, 2006, 01:21
From another thread I made:

Ambiance for Fantasy Grounds

I’ve been experimenting lately with adding some sound elements to Fantasy Grounds. While I really love the client, it can be a bit dull sometimes during player exchanges that don’t involve you.

A couple of years ago I helped a German developer translate his documentation from German to English. The program is called RPG Sound Mixer.
https://www.rpgsoundmixer.com
RPG Sound mixer has the capability to create “Sound Scenarios”. That means that you can play music and add in sound effects as well. The sound effects can be automated. You can set them to occur at random times, randomly selected from a pool, for random durations. You can also take away the random element and declare them. You can alter the sounds in frequency, duration, volume level, or any number of other settings. It is a dream GM tool.

Example:
I’m playtesting a new campaign that I plan on running when Fantasy Ground 2.0 comes out. The campaign involves an Inn where all games begin and end. I have set up a “Sound Scenario” for the Inn. I have a variety of instrumental music, string stuff that sounds like something a bard would play. I have added to that a low key roaring fire sound and a low crowd rumble that plays constantly in the background. I then added several sound effects such as laughter (several different types), cheering, booing, a girl laughing, etc. These are played at random times with random pauses between them. It is possible that the sounds overlap. I then added some chained effects, such as a randomly occurring breaking dish followed by cheers from the crowd. Strung together it is a very lively sound scenario and breathes life into the Inn. The random elements ensure that it is never repetitive. I have similar sound scapes for towns, combat, travel, suspense, chase scenes, etc.

RPG Sound Mixer does not play across the net. For this I use another tool, Ventrilo.
https://www.ventrilo.com/
I basically set the output to be “wav” and set it to “voice activate”. Configured like this, any time something is played through my speakers it is transmitted through Ventrilo to all connected clients.

Combined, this allows my players to connect to Ventrilo before starting the Fantasy Grounds client and I can pipe the game soundtrack to them across the net. It works very well. I must note that I like the text flavor of Fantasy Grounds so I do not allow voice communication in the soundtrack channel. It is just there for ambiance. The rest is classic Fantasy Grounds action.

Astinus
October 22nd, 2006, 18:02
I must note that I like the text flavor of Fantasy Grounds so I do not allow voice communication in the soundtrack channel. It is just there for ambiance.
nezzir, this sounds great. But the campaign I'm planning will also use voice for combat and role playing (we're all old friends and like to talk to each other).

I'm not familiar with Ventrilo, but how simple is it to use Ventrilo to pipe the rpg sound mixer content and use it for voice communications all at the same time?

mr_h
October 23rd, 2006, 14:55
I haven't used Ventrillo in a while, but I believe it's a simple matter of setting up a key binding to play a wave file (When my gaming clan used it the occasional stupid wave file would be played...)
Probably can do mp3s and stuff, havent tried.

nezzir
October 24th, 2006, 01:23
Yes, you can use it for both at the same time. In fact, I have to actively prevent voice across the channel when I don't want it used.

In order for the host to use both Voice and Music transmits (the way I describe it), it will have to run two copies of Ventrilo.

One copy will be dedicated to transmitting the sound track, the other will be used to transmit voice using a simple key bind to activate.

Doing it this way allows for clean music and sound effect transmission without interuption or background noise. A simple clean, controllable transmission.

nezzir
October 24th, 2006, 01:32
I haven't used Ventrillo in a while, but I believe it's a simple matter of setting up a key binding to play a wave file (When my gaming clan used it the occasional stupid wave file would be played...)
Probably can do mp3s and stuff, havent tried.

You can do this, but what I'm describing is streaming music. Think of it as if you're sitting at the game table and the GM has a laptop that he's using to provide background music for the game.

Let me try to make it more clear.

The program I have (RPGSoundMixer) allows me to mix music and sound effects in the manner that I choose. I can predefine these mixes and play them during my game. I don't want to spend a lot of time messing with it during the game so I have several "sound scenarios" predefined. A simple key press changes from my "suspense" library to my "combat" library (complete with clashing swords, firing bows, grunts of pain, and yelling).

Now that I have defined my "sound scenario", I use Ventrilo to transmit it to the server and channel on a closed circuit. That is to say, no microphone is used, there is no "open air". It is a dedicated copy of Ventrilo that does nothing but serve the sounds I play. The music (and effects) go strait from the program, to Ventrilo, and then to the server and channel my players are in.

The "wav" method you described requires you to play a "wav" file, then it's over. This way it constantly streams output to the channel without intervention. It allows you to use multiple wavs and complex sound scenarios without intervention.

I'd be happy to demonstrate. Simply provide a vent server for us to connect to and contact me with a time. I'll demonstrate the sound program and tell you the settings you need to make it work.

Note: RPGSoundMixer is just the program I choose to use because of its flexibility. Anything that makes sound come out of your speakers will work.

Phalck
October 25th, 2006, 03:40
Me personally am using Shoutcast and Winamp to broadcast mp3:s to the clients. That way we can use Ventrilo uninterrupted for speech and the users just key in an IP number in the winamp player to get the music.

I am planning on writing a couple of tutorials on how to set up shoutcast, winamp as well as ventrilo to work for FG over at my home page www.phalck.com. I'll post when I have something up there.

mr_h
October 25th, 2006, 13:29
I was thinking about something with winamp and streaming like that....never got around to doing it. When I get my campaign going, I might have to look into that :D

Astinus
October 25th, 2006, 15:56
I'd be happy to demonstrate. Simply provide a vent server for us to connect to and contact me with a time. I'll demonstrate the sound program and tell you the settings you need to make it work.
Thanks for the offer. When I get the chance I'll arrange something.

Astinus
October 25th, 2006, 15:58
I am planning on writing a couple of tutorials on how to set up shoutcast, winamp as well as ventrilo to work for FG over at my home page www.phalck.com. I'll post when I have something up there.
That sounds like another great approach. I'll look forward to your tutorial.