PDA

View Full Version : Versions Question

Laerun
August 21st, 2019, 17:32
John/Carl/Ryan,

Does the updater have it's own version number aside from launcher?

Laerun

Updater says version 0.56
Launcher says 4.0.0 FREE

Am I doing something wrong?

Moon Wizard
August 21st, 2019, 18:07
Yes, the updater has it's own version number currently. I'll ask Ryan to synchronize his to something closer to the client release number.

Thanks,
JPG

Laerun
August 30th, 2019, 21:21
Okay, another launcher issue, now, when I click on the update button, the updater does not open, FG stalls out for a second and the window no longer opens. It used to before. I tried a few different things short of a clean reinstall. I have tried to open as an admin, etc.

Laerun

Moon Wizard
August 30th, 2019, 22:00
I've sent an e-mail to Ryan. Let's see if he has some ideas to identify or track down the issue.

Thanks,
JPG

deer_buster
August 31st, 2019, 05:17
Is it just eating the processor and/or memory, or is it just crashing?

Moon Wizard
August 31st, 2019, 07:08
Ryan is travelling this weekend, so I don't have any more information at this point. Can you try running the original installer again, and letting it update?

Thanks,
JPG

Ludd_G
August 31st, 2019, 18:13
Hi, I've also been having the same issue with the updater for the past couple of days.

Cheers, Simon

deer_buster
August 31st, 2019, 20:04
Hi, I've also been having the same issue with the updater for the past couple of days.

Cheers, Simon
Is it just eating the processor and/or memory, or is it just crashing?

Ludd_G
August 31st, 2019, 20:52
Hi. It seem to just crash as soon as you click on the 'ok for app to make changes' button. There's no increase in CPU or RAM usage I can see, although I think the GPU maxes out on crashing. This is the same even if from a fresh install, when it hits auto-update.

I'm running on a Surface Book 2, with FGU running on the Nvidia GPU rather than the Intel chip (although it was the same when I tried it on the Intel chip). Windows 10 and all drivers are up to date.

deer_buster
September 1st, 2019, 04:58
Hi. It seem to just crash as soon as you click on the 'ok for app to make changes' button. There's no increase in CPU or RAM usage I can see, although I think the GPU maxes out on crashing. This is the same even if from a fresh install, when it hits auto-update.

I'm running on a Surface Book 2, with FGU running on the Nvidia GPU rather than the Intel chip (although it was the same when I tried it on the Intel chip). Windows 10 and all drivers are up to date.

Look for the FantasyGroundsUpdater.log file...that might provide some insight...

Ludd_G
September 1st, 2019, 10:00
This is the log from my last attempt:

CheckNewUpdater(): True
RUNNING AS FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
Incorrect File

and just a fyi I'm able to launch the game without updating, but FGU is no longer registering most books/modules, so it looks like re-running the installer without then being able to run the updater has seemingly left me missing lots of files.

deer_buster
September 1st, 2019, 21:17
Try launching the FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe file. If it comes up snapshot your Basic and Advanced tabs...if it doesn't let us know

Ludd_G
September 1st, 2019, 22:44
Hi, unfortunately it also fails to launch from there.

Laerun
September 2nd, 2019, 17:27
I concur, regardless of the steps I have performed, it will run, but not launch with the the updater, or the settings button.

redeyesofnight
September 3rd, 2019, 18:38
Hey folks, Ryan here!
Apologies for the slow response here, I was traveling with the family over the weekend, but I'm back and trying to sort this out for you folks.

I've got a few thoughts off the top of my head.

First idea: I encountered a bug in the content delivery system last week and for a short period of time, content (including the updater) was being delivered improperly.
It's possible that some of you tried updating in this period of time and were delivered empty content. This could cause the updater to not function.

Your App Data folder (typically Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds) should be structured something like this:
FantasyGrounds.exe
FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
FGUpdaterEngine/FGUpdaterEngine.exe
(And a handful more files/subfolders at each level)
Do all of these executables exist? If not, you can try reinstalling with the original installer.

Second idea is a little bit more complex but may have to do with the directory the application is launching from.
I would ask that if those executables all exist, then try launching FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe directly from program files to see if this resolves the issue for the moment.

If either of these are unproductive, It would be useful to see the log file at
App Data Folder/FantasyGroundsUpdater.log

I'm going to build a new installer shortly though that hopefully should solve some issues.

--Ryan--

redeyesofnight
September 3rd, 2019, 18:44
This is the log from my last attempt:

CheckNewUpdater(): True
RUNNING AS FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe
Incorrect File

and just a fyi I'm able to launch the game without updating, but FGU is no longer registering most books/modules, so it looks like re-running the installer without then being able to run the updater has seemingly left me missing lots of files.

This specifically leads be to believe that you were unfortunate enough to update before I had discovered the incorrect content delivery.
Unfortunately I have to suggest for you deleting the App Data (Typically Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds)
and the Data Directory (Default: C:\users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\)

The data directory holds info about your current package versions, so may think your content is up to date even if you uninstall.

Many apologies again, and this particular bug is being addressed. Hopefully we can get you all back online soon.

Ludd_G
September 4th, 2019, 22:03
I deleted all App Data, and the Data Directory and, after reinstalling, updating seems to be working again, thanks!

redeyesofnight
September 5th, 2019, 17:14
I deleted all App Data, and the Data Directory and, after reinstalling, updating seems to be working again, thanks!

Glad that worked for you, and apologies again!
I'll keep watching this thread for anyone else having troubles.

Zacchaeus
September 5th, 2019, 19:06
And welcome to the forums Ryan :)

Laerun
September 9th, 2019, 01:23
I was able to checl my update log, and it says the same thing,

CheckNewUpdater(): True RUNNING AS FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe incorrect File

Laerun

redeyesofnight
September 11th, 2019, 18:14
I concur, regardless of the steps I have performed, it will run, but not launch with the the updater, or the settings button.

Are you still having issues? Just wanted to follow up and see if anyone else is having continuing issues.

Laerun
September 12th, 2019, 19:40
Nope, not after I had followed the other examples. I was able to delete and start over upon deleting my campaign and data folders, etc. Re-installed FGU, then updated before anything else was done.

Thank You.

Laerun