PDA

View Full Version : LOS for PC.

johnezell
August 21st, 2019, 17:06
I can't seem to find the radius for light sources or the ability to set a distance for vision.

For example in 5e a torch is 20' bright 40' dim. How do I set this for the PC?

Or Darkvision being 60' in darkness.

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2019, 17:48
I can't seem to find the radius for light sources or the ability to set a distance for vision.

For example in 5e a torch is 20' bright 40' dim. How do I set this for the PC?

Or Darkvision being 60' in darkness.

You can't. LOS is basically infinite at the moment.

johnezell
August 21st, 2019, 17:55
Oh? I wasn't aware of that. Thank you Z.

I assume we will have that fixed in the future? The competition does this already. So it seems like something that should certainly be there.

deer_buster
August 21st, 2019, 18:41
that was feedback that was provided for the YouTube video demonstrating LoS

Just some further thoughts (only a fixed radius would be a pre-release requirement, IMHO)

A "light" source should have multiple indications (e.g. 5e Torch has a 20 (bright)/40 (dim) radius.)

Brightly lit (normal lighting) should be full of color images within the brightly lit radius.
Dimly lit should be a black and white or gray filter (5e Darkvision is dim lighting)
Things like 5e Truesight should show everything (invisible, see through illusions, etc.) out to its radius as brightly lit
A light source may be directional (such as darkvision or bullseye lantern or low-light vision (which doubles effective ranges of a light source)

Nightvision - customized filter (e.g. green) directional
Infravision - heat vision directional
Ultravision - ultraviolet directional
X-Ray vision - see through things directional

Zacchaeus
August 21st, 2019, 20:05
Oh? I wasn't aware of that. Thank you Z.

I assume we will have that fixed in the future? The competition does this already. So it seems like something that should certainly be there.

I'm not sure that 'fixed' is the correct word since the LOS isn't broken. Whether it needs limiting is debatable since unless you are outside it is doubtful whether you can see more than 60ft before your vision is blocked by a wall anyway.

There is also of course the multitude of possibilities as noted above by deer_buster, which if it were all implemented would cause a violent headache due to the presumably multitudinous colurs that would be required to differentiate the different light types and sources.

Having said that it is something which it has been said may be added in the future but hopefully in a limited and simplistic way.

johnezell
August 21st, 2019, 21:11
Why reinvent the wheel? In roll20 vision is specified in a pretty specific way the length of the vision and at what point it begins to dim. For example a torch length is 40' and starts to dim at 20'. I think adding colors etc would be nice at some point, but really it isn't that important. So I do believe that this is something broken and should be "fixed" line of sight is not an infinite vision until you run into something. It is based on distance. In Unity this should be possible to do with ray casting.

I have ran some very interesting campaigns where there was darkness involved (CoS for example) and creating that spooky element of "what lies beyond" is a very powerful tool as a DM. Say for instance you have a mixed bag of races in the group. The elf can certainly see something in the distance that the human cannot etc.

This was the only reason I backed this kickstarter to begin with because it would bring a valuable tool to the platform and make it so I didn't have to use roll20 for my maps and combat on FGC.

ddavison
August 21st, 2019, 21:23
We have this on our agenda to look at after initial release. No ETA is set for it at this time, but it will not be in at official launch in December.

Asmo
August 22nd, 2019, 16:30
I have ran some very interesting campaigns where there was darkness involved (CoS for example) and creating that spooky element of "what lies beyond" is a very powerful tool as a DM. Say for instance you have a mixed bag of races in the group. The elf can certainly see something in the distance that the human cannot etc.

This was the only reason I backed this kickstarter to begin with because it would bring a valuable tool to the platform

I agree with johnezell, for me it also will be a showstopper. I use(d) Maptool and it also has different settings. Maybe for the time being a quick/dirty solution? A global variable to set one range for all, and work from that later on?

Moon Wizard
August 22nd, 2019, 18:46
Vision and lighting will not be part of the first release. Since FGU was annoucned, we have been very consistent in our messaging on this topic. We are focused on making sure that the LoS, FoW and masking solutions work well, provide the features that they are supposed to, and have the tools that they need to be managed as easily and as flexibly as possible. If you have seen any incorrect mentions from our team, please let me know, and I will get those corrected.

One of the reasons why I have to be firm on these is that it would probably add months to FGU launch in order to design, implement and test these new features; as well as make sure that they work with everything else we are changing and doing. We want to keep our target focused on end of year, which means that I can't let scope creep mess up those plans. We've already stated that vision and lighting are high on our priority list after first release.

Regards,
JPG