PDA

View Full Version : FGU Sharing LOS Definitions for Maps - Crowd Project

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

slaitaar
November 10th, 2019, 12:05
Hi good folks,

I'm running a Storm King Thunder campain and took the project to implement LOS on all player maps since I don't see anyone working on this. I'm working in alphabetical order and I'm currently in the ''g''. I will go over the testing when all the maps would be completed. Let me know if I'm doing this for nothing (maybe I miss a post and someone esle is woking on this).

Currently doing through SKT, much appreciate this!

Aridhro
November 10th, 2019, 20:16
Hey everyone,

I'd like to help out with the LOS project. I'm currently working on Dead in Thay from TFTYP, and just finished the Abyssal Prisons map (attached below). Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll be starting on Blood Pens next (from the same scenario).

Nice!! Was waiting for this one, but cannot comment on it, because I don't own the module yet (waiting for Black Friday ;)) My group will start the adventure in december. Keep up the good work.

revanmaster
November 10th, 2019, 20:23
Hi revanmaster and well done on these.

A couple of points I'd like to make about terrain occluders. The way these work is that a token can see into the terrain but not out of it. Once the token moves into the terrain object then they can see out the other side. So in the first image below you can see that once the token enters the balcony it can see right through the terrain because it is immediately in the terrain as soon as it comes through the door. If you look at the second image the occluder has been restricted just to the balcony area and so it can't be seen through until the token is close to the balcony and therefore is able to see past it. So, in effect, the way you've drawn the occluder for the balcony it would just as well not be there at all since it doesn't serve any purpose - it isn't blocking anything.

A similar 'problem' exists at area 4. Again by covering the entire area with a terrain occluder (as in image 3 below) tokens can see right through it - so the occluder is really serving no purpose. In image 4 the way the occluder has been drawn it does now block LOS to the area below the balcony. This will also work for tokens starting in the room below. It will be visible but whatever is beyond the walkway above won't be visible. I also made the inside of the stairs a wall and included a blocker half way up the stairs to prevent a token seeing everything until they have move up the stairs a bit. The downside as you can see in my graphic is that the occluder acts as a wall and so blocks parts of the walkway that it shouldn't. A token on the walkway should see the whole thing and only the bit below it should really be blocked - but currently there isn't a way to do that effectively.

Finally if you look at area 15 you'll see the same situation. If you put a token in the middle of the area you've set up the occluder in you'll see that the token can see the walkway at the top even though it is below the edge.

These may be unimportant in many ways depending on how the tokens move through the area but I think we should change them as I'm suggesting.

I had another idea for it that may work, but it's a lot more segments for peering over, and that's doing the terrain as well for the stairwells inside were the stairs of a manor. Also, I'm trying to figure out the best method for the cave on Swan Nest on that same map, and if you have an idea that may help with that, but leave those hidden for 06-03-D&E.

I'm going to add a terrain on the stair for the landing it's just I'm curious if this would work too.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2019, 21:10
I had another idea for it that may work, but it's a lot more segments for peering over, and that's doing the terrain as well for the stairwells inside were the stairs of a manor. Also, I'm trying to figure out the best method for the cave on Swan Nest on that same map, and if you have an idea that may help with that, but leave those hidden for 06-03-D&E.

I'm going to add a terrain on the stair for the landing it's just I'm curious if this would work too.
I would suggest a somewhat different approach. The way it is, someone in the center on the bottom would not be able to see someone one the stairs, and someone on the edge of the upper part, would not be able to look down into the well.

If you haven't, take a look at the 3 "terrain" videos linked in this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52024-LOS-videos I think the second video in that (from Doug) has a very similar situation to this one. I'm thinking to do terrain around the top, but include the square closest to the edge (so people can look down) and not include any terrain blockers on the inside edge of the stairwell (i.e. so you don't block someone downstairs from being able to see someone on the stair or on the edge of the top.)

LordBattle
November 11th, 2019, 00:17
Nice!! Was waiting for this one, but cannot comment on it, because I don't own the module yet (waiting for Black Friday ;)) My group will start the adventure in december. Keep up the good work.

Thanks! I plan on running it for my group early next year, so I'm motivated to get it finished before then. It looks like a fun module.

Allyx
November 12th, 2019, 20:55
I was hoping to help out with adding the walls/doors/windows/terrain information for Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition but I'm experiencing issues.

Firstly only books 1 and 3 from the Anniversary Edition, and books 4 and 5 from the original paperback modules are loadable as modules, Secondly a large proportion of the artwork isn't loading at all, including the Player instances of the maps that would need editing.

I have been practicing however with the We B4 Goblins Free RPG day module which I had previously added to Fantasy Grounds, and I have a question: is there a way to set the maximum lighting distance from each of the PC's? EG if a PC is carrying a torch, can I set the lighting for Elven characters to see a maximum of 40 feet (double the 20 feet lighting distance allowed for humans), while also showing only 20 feet around the light source for Humans, and display the map in black and white for 60 feet around the Dwarves for their darkvision?

Zacchaeus
November 12th, 2019, 22:00
I was hoping to help out with adding the walls/doors/windows/terrain information for Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition but I'm experiencing issues.

Firstly only books 1 and 3 from the Anniversary Edition, and books 4 and 5 from the original paperback modules are loadable as modules, Secondly a large proportion of the artwork isn't loading at all, including the Player instances of the maps that would need editing.

I have been practicing however with the We B4 Goblins Free RPG day module which I had previously added to Fantasy Grounds, and I have a question: is there a way to set the maximum lighting distance from each of the PC's? EG if a PC is carrying a torch, can I set the lighting for Elven characters to see a maximum of 40 feet (double the 20 feet lighting distance allowed for humans), while also showing only 20 feet around the light source for Humans, and display the map in black and white for 60 feet around the Dwarves for their darkvision?

No, there is no limiting LOS as yet.

Zacchaeus
November 12th, 2019, 22:01
Been busy with other stuff the last few days. I'll get around to all your posts tomorrow.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2019, 09:38
Speaking of Rage of Demons (I like this better than OotA, lol) I have finished up with the issue free player maps and could use some input on how to tackle all the elevation changes on the Troglodyte lair map without making sight to the other side of the ridge a problem from afar, I stopped while writing this to see how a secret zone would work, but it still blocks sight beyond the zone. On the same map I decided there was a rise and dip into the southwest part of the cave in order to get line of sight to look good on the ridge, its only 5 feet high so I think it looks good but I might adjust the terrain points behind it next editing session.

The trench in Mantol-Derith causes some similar issues as well; it's pretty certain the party will enter the zone at the bottom of the trench so I'm leaning toward strips of landscape in the cliff wall intended to be turned off when the party climbs out, and then it can be left off, but again I thought I'd get some feedback.

Also, I should have made a separate post rather than editing my last one, but can anyone verify missing images in the OotA module? My map edits have been posted here so reinstalling unity wouldn't be a huge deal but I sure would feel silly if I did that without asking if its just me or if its the module. Most of my map images have been replaced by what I assume is the missing image icon (super tiny red question mark) all the same images were missing when I made a fresh campaign. I made a list of the maps I can load up, and they are now done except for Blingenstone and Whorlstone Tunnels, partially because they do not have map grids which im unsure of whether it would have an impact on trying to add my LOS without it and partially because I just finished Mantol-Derith in one sitting and am going to take a break for a bit :p

For contour lines, cliffs, crevasses etc you want to be using terrain occluders. Whilst I see what you are getting at using secret doors that doesn't really work since secret doors completely cut off LOS just like walls do. For this kind of thing you need to be able to see into the terrain object but not out of it. In the Troglodyte map a token won't see into the lower terrain until they are right on the edge of it so your occluder would look something like the screenshots below. Until the token moves to the edge of the crevasse they can't see anything, but they can see the edge of the crevasse. There isn't much you can do about not being able to see the far side of the ridge. In reality tokens would see over the ridge and be able to see the floor on the other side. However there's not tool or combination of tools that we can use to accomplish this.

You want a similar type of thing for the rise and dip in the southwest corner. If you place a terrain occluder over the whole area then a token on the floor sees the top of the ridge which is really what you are trying to avoid. So what you need is a narrow occluder running around the edge at the top to prevent that. Have a look at the third video on terrain (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52024-LOS-videos) that I linked in this post here which discusses this in some detail.

On the question of the maps that are not visible I'll need to find out what is happening there. I understood that such maps had been updated but it doesn't look like they have been.

And yes, please make a separate post rather than amending your original since I am very likely to miss an edited post.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2019, 10:32
Hi good folks,

I'm running a Storm King Thunder campain and took the project to implement LOS on all player maps since I don't see anyone working on this. I'm working in alphabetical order and I'm currently in the ''g''. I will go over the testing when all the maps would be completed. Let me know if I'm doing this for nothing (maybe I miss a post and someone esle is woking on this).

Hi jlabbe and thanks for getting involved in the project.

1) You say you started alphabetically and have got to 'G' but I don't see occluders on the Airship maps, the Deadstone maps, the Drydock Lodge map nor the Eye of the All Father map.
2) Beorunna's Battlemap: In this one I think we need occluders for the raised areas in the northeast and southern parts of the map. See the screenshot below for how to achieve this.
3) For any map draw a wall around the edge of the map so that a token cannot ever accidentally see out of the map.
4) The bolder blocking the entrance to area 8 in the Dripping Caves is interesting. Normally I'd say use terrain but in this case I thing a secret door would be more appropriate. Terrain does not prevent a token from moving through it whilst a secret door does. I'd suggest something like the image below.
5) Flint Battlemap: A tricky one this but I think we probably want occluders along the ridges. If you look at the side view map you'll see what I mean. I'd restrict the occluders to the inside of the outer ridge and the isnide of the central one. Leaft the middle one without occluders I think. But I'll leave it up to you.
6) Doors: Try not to have too many points at doors and make sure that there are walls either side of each door. See the before and after images below. You don't need to make the door occluder match the graphic on the map. I actually start a map by drawing in the doors to where I can see that the wall will join the door. This makes it easier to join everything up more smoothly. See the second video on doors and secret doors listed here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52024-LOS-videos) to get more details on what I mean.
7) In the Grand Dame map I think all of the ports (windows) and oar holes should be filled in with terrain occluders.
8) Trees: I see exactly where you are going with the trees in the Granfather Tree map and in fact I had this discussion with Allmight as well with regard to trees. Depending on the tree type the branches could go all the way to the ground and thus block LOS; but they would be terrain occluders rather than walls. Generally we have treated all vegetation as being terrain occluders but it's certainly correct to also include the trunk as a wall. In the same map I'm not convinced the grandfather Tree itself should be a wall. Tokens could climb onto it and so I think this should be terrain.
9) Grudd Haug: In level 1 I think we want a wall or possibly just terrain occluding the road up from the south east. The Walkway that surrounds the main hall should be terrain occluded since a token on the floor won't be able to see what's above them. The iron gates in the wolf pen should be doors (terrain can be passed through and whilst a barred gate can be seen through it can't be passed through - so I think doors are more suitable). Also the towers at area 8 should have an occluder surrounding the ridge and the tower itself should not be a complete occluder since this allows tokens to see into the tower from the ground. The occluder should be similar to the ones in area 2 shown in the graphic below.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2019, 10:56
Hey everyone,

I'd like to help out with the LOS project. I'm currently working on Dead in Thay from TFTYP, and just finished the Abyssal Prisons map (attached below). Any feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll be starting on Blood Pens next (from the same scenario).

Hi LordBattle and thanks for taking part. This is generally well done but there's a couple of things I'll comment on.

1) Doors: I think we want a wee bit more neatness on doors and the joins to walls. The first thing to say is I don't think the door graphic needs to follow what is on the map. I think it is neater if the door is drawn to the same line as the adjoining walls. See the attached images to see what I mean and you might want to have a look at the video linked here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52024-LOS-videos) on doors and secret doors.
2) The demon cells at area 14 needs, I think walls and doors. I agree that bars can be seen through and that suggest terrain occluders. However tokens can pass through terrain so that isn't really an option and in any case there are doors which don't really set well with terrain. Since the doors need to be there then the bars I think need to be walls.
3) Magic Gates: I think the Black gates (except for the entry point probably) should also be doors, and there are two other White Gates which require doors in the southwest corner and the east side.
4) You should draw a line along the entire edge of the map to prevent a token seeing outside the map.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2019, 10:58
I have made some updates to Tomorrow Must Burn.

There was a missing door and some wall cornerpieces that were missing on two maps. I have now corrected that.
Oh, and it is now completed, so feel free to mark it as such :)

Will now start work on PFRPG2 - Age of Ashes AP (4 of 6), Fires of the Haunted City.

Thanks Allmight; I've updated post #1. I'll hang on to this amendment and update it and the next one once you are done so that we done have too many updates happening.

Allmight
November 13th, 2019, 11:03
Thanks Allmight; I've updated post #1. I'll hang on to this amendment and update it and the next one once you are done so that we done have too many updates happening.

Fair enough. Oh, and the last two parts (5 and 6) will be done by Sciencephile, as part of his work on these modules, and the fact they are'nt released yet.

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2019, 11:12

I think the inside of the stairwell should be a wall. If it is terrain then a token can pass through it going from the top step to the floor or vice versa. I don't think in this particular situation it is really worthwhile getting too caught up in the minutiae since I don't think anything is going to turn on it. In other words if there was going to be some serious combat going on then I'd be thinking more - otherwise whatever occluders you think are needed is all that's required. My point about terrain occluders was really a general one and I covered their use in some detail in the video that LE linked above.

LordBattle
November 13th, 2019, 15:42
Hi LordBattle and thanks for taking part. This is generally well done but there's a couple of things I'll comment on.

1) Doors: I think we want a wee bit more neatness on doors and the joins to walls. The first thing to say is I don't think the door graphic needs to follow what is on the map. I think it is neater if the door is drawn to the same line as the adjoining walls. See the attached images to see what I mean and you might want to have a look at the video linked here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52024-LOS-videos) on doors and secret doors.
2) The demon cells at area 14 needs, I think walls and doors. I agree that bars can be seen through and that suggest terrain occluders. However tokens can pass through terrain so that isn't really an option and in any case there are doors which don't really set well with terrain. Since the doors need to be there then the bars I think need to be walls.
3) Magic Gates: I think the Black gates (except for the entry point probably) should also be doors, and there are two other White Gates which require doors in the southwest corner and the east side.
4) You should draw a line along the entire edge of the map to prevent a token seeing outside the map.

Sounds good, I'll make these changes and repost here.

LordBattle
November 13th, 2019, 19:55
Okay here's my updated file for Abyssal Prisons. Let me know how everything looks, particularly the door occluders. Speaking of doors-- I noticed that for some reason the White/Black Gates don't block player movement as a normal door would. I'm not sure if this is a size thing, since they are much larger than normal doors, but I thought it was interesting.

revanmaster
November 13th, 2019, 22:40
Well, I hit a problem anyways cause the token gets stuck on the wall as well as the terrain version as well, and it didn't want to past it. And so I'm thinking just having block off is going to be the outcome.

Example of the other one before I changed it to wall

also leaving an alter version for the lower map to get looked at for judgment.

GarthGiantbane
November 14th, 2019, 19:45
Looking good Garth; onwards and upwards :)

TYP: Forge of Fury

All of the maps have been updated with LOS. Of those, the first 2 - Mountain Door East and West were reviewed and edited based on feedback from Zacchaeus. The balance of the maps - Glitterhame, The Foundry, The Sinkhole and Black Lake - have LOS completed, the first pass anyway :).

I have to say, I picked a tougher project than I thought when I started. These are huge maps and mostly cavern :confused: But I think they are good with the following noted "challenging" spots.

Glitterhame -
Room 17 - I walled off the water connector between area 16 and 17. The description reads that the "stream disappears under a low stone pass way". It would only be revealed if the party decides to explore the underground stream. After emerging from the underground stream, I added a terrain "blind" so the party cannot see the whole cavern to the south. This also allows for the encounter to play out before further exploration.
Room 23 - A thin terrain "blind" to conceal the huge cavern until the party approaches the edge of the ledge. Currently, this is a DM trigger instead of a party LOS reveal. Not sure if that's an option. The terrain blockers along the top of curved ledges leave weird shadows.
Room 24 - More ledges and a similar issue. These are higher than the surrounding terrain so the top of the ledge is a terrain "blind". DM triggered or not - optional.
Room 25 - The stream into the long cavern is a terrain block. The water is partially dammed so vision is prevented from viewing from adjoining area 17. Spiral stairway down and edge of the waterfall - added terrain blockers but they don't open up well for a the party as they advance.

Black Lake -
Area 53 - Added a full terrain "blind" to prevent revealing the full chamber before the party reaches a particular spot as described in the text. Another DM triggered terrain block.

Let me know how it looks on review - I appreciate the feedback.

Garth

Ascalon
November 14th, 2019, 22:12
Rise Of Tiamat

Here's the first Map I did: Nerovain's Stronghold.

I made the entrance behind the waterfall a secret door, so the players can't see it at first. and I used the terrain for the underwater tunnel to basically create a seperated area.

AND I just noticed that I forgot a secret door! But I guess you can already check out the rest of the map.

Halfront
November 15th, 2019, 15:51
I think I can see well enough now to continue on PotA. I will endeavor to continue this weekend. If my pace is too slow right now my feeling won't be hurt if SW needs to put this project onto another hands :)

LordBattle
November 16th, 2019, 08:56
Okay, all done with the Dead in Thay (Doomvault) maps from TYP. Whew!

Let me know if anything needs to be modified.

stewartl42
November 17th, 2019, 03:20
I had a slow night. Finished the following.

Argynvostholt (1 & 2)
Baba Lysaga's Creeping Hut
Blue Water Inn
Church
Coffin Maker's Shop

Zacchaeus
November 17th, 2019, 10:10
Thanks everyone for the xml files. Due to a bug (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52226-Occluders-have-stopped-being-functional) I currently can't view any of the files at the moment but I'll get to them as soon as I can.

Steely066
November 19th, 2019, 14:41
Hello, I am in a kind of weird situation where I want to help my DM, who is using Heros of Baldurs Gate as a supplement for Avernus, with LOS. Unfortunately, that means I can't look at any of the maps. Has anyone done LoS for it?

Zacchaeus
November 19th, 2019, 21:40
Hello, I am in a kind of weird situation where I want to help my DM, who is using Heros of Baldurs Gate as a supplement for Avernus, with LOS. Unfortunately, that means I can't look at any of the maps. Has anyone done LoS for it?

I'm not familiar with that module; but there's no-one doing it as far as I'm aware.

Zacchaeus
November 19th, 2019, 21:41
Thanks everyone for your files. I'm working on updating Curse of Strahd right now with a reference manual and stuff so that'll take another few days. After I'm done I'll get right on your maps.

revanmaster
November 20th, 2019, 10:27
Did this small twin maps for Forge of the Dawn Titan, or the only 2 maps that show up for it.

pollux
November 23rd, 2019, 04:52
Progress update on the FG Battlemaps, the following are complete and attached:

BattleMap_Cave01
BattleMap_Cave02
BattleMap_Cave03
BattleMap_outdoor1
BattleMap_outdoor2
BattleMap01
BattleMap02
BattleMap03
BattleMap04
BattleMap05

Still working on the rest, though there's a good number left. Might take me a while to work through them. If anyone wants to start working backward from the end of the list we won't collide for a while. Shoot me a DM so I don't miss your reply in the traffic here if you start doing that.

Ulric
November 24th, 2019, 02:22
Is there anyone working on converting the Starfinder maps? Do i just start converting maps and posting the finished maps here?

LordEntrails
November 24th, 2019, 03:15
Is there anyone working on converting the Starfinder maps? Do i just start converting maps and posting the finished maps here?
See the first post. Mr. Z keeps it updated with who has said they are working on what. I suggest you pick one specific/small set of maps to start on. Then Mr Z can list you for those. After you do them, you do not post the maps here, you post the xml as detailed in post one. MR Z or someone will then use that to copy into the official map.

Allyx
November 24th, 2019, 05:37
I've done 2 of the 6 books of the Pathfinder 1e - Curse of the Crimson Throne Anniversary Edition so far, and will send the .XML files off when the maps from the other 4 books are done.

Allyx
November 24th, 2019, 05:38
Oops, double post.

Ulric
November 24th, 2019, 17:31
See the first post. Mr. Z keeps it updated with who has said they are working on what. I suggest you pick one specific/small set of maps to start on. Then Mr Z can list you for those. After you do them, you do not post the maps here, you post the xml as detailed in post one. MR Z or someone will then use that to copy into the official map.

Thank you!

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 11:40
Okay here's my updated file for Abyssal Prisons. Let me know how everything looks, particularly the door occluders. Speaking of doors-- I noticed that for some reason the White/Black Gates don't block player movement as a normal door would. I'm not sure if this is a size thing, since they are much larger than normal doors, but I thought it was interesting.

Hey LordBattle, thanks for the update and my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. This looks good and I look forward to the rest in due course.

I don't have an answer for you about the gates since at the moment I'm unable to join my own game via localhost to test it. However I can't see the size being a factor. I'll take a note to test this once I'm able to join via localhost or can get someone to join normally to test.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 11:45
Progress update on the FG Battlemaps, the following are complete and attached:

BattleMap_Cave01
BattleMap_Cave02
BattleMap_Cave03
BattleMap_outdoor1
BattleMap_outdoor2
BattleMap01
BattleMap02
BattleMap03
BattleMap04
BattleMap05

Still working on the rest, though there's a good number left. Might take me a while to work through them. If anyone wants to start working backward from the end of the list we won't collide for a while. Shoot me a DM so I don't miss your reply in the traffic here if you start doing that.

Thanks pollux, all good stuff, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

One thing - remember to draw a wall along the edge of each map so that tokens can't see outside of the map.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 12:01
Did this small twin maps for Forge of the Dawn Titan, or the only 2 maps that show up for it.

Nice work, revanmaster, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

There's a couple of things I wonder about. The first is the false door out of 1-10. I can see where you are going with making it a secret door but I think that might be too confusing. The players should see that it is a door, albeit a false one. So I think it should be a normal door, but locked (hold shift and click on it). The other thing I wonder about is the portcullis between 1-12 and 1-09. We don't have a terrain object that can be seen through but also blocks movement, and I'm not sure in this case that a terrain object is suitable. A token can simple walk through a terrain object. So I think this one should also be a door, just so that it blocks movement. Not ideal but I think better than a terrain object.

revanmaster
November 27th, 2019, 12:24
here's the redo of those areas, and it was something I was like not sure on for the second, and so just posted it since you have provided another idea of doing something.

revanmaster
November 27th, 2019, 12:32
did another alteration this I think is a middle ground for those stairwells cause I was having on both terrain, and the wall was getting stuck. I thought of the outer balcony for these stairwells since there are in a manor, and not a castle

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 12:50

Argynvostholt (1 & 2)
Blue Water Inn
Church
Coffin Maker's Shop

stewart, good stuff and sorry for the delay in getting back to you: A couple of things

Argynvostholt:

I thing we should have occluders for the statue and from steps in areas Q1 and Q2.
Also I think the portcullis at Q8 should be a door.
The fence surrounding Q15 should probably be terrain or even a wall.
The statues in Q12 should be terrain. We should have something, probably terrain around the balconies at Q18 and Q24.
Consider adding a terrain occluder around the roof edge and crenellations?

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 13:03
Okay, all done with the Dead in Thay (Doomvault) maps from TYP. Whew!

Let me know if anything needs to be modified.

LordBattle, sorry I saw this post after the previous one. These look good. I'm going to hang on to the file for the moment since I may get a chance to update the module soon, so I'll include this with the update. Good stuff and thanks again.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 13:28
Well, I hit a problem anyways cause the token gets stuck on the wall as well as the terrain version as well, and it didn't want to past it. And so I'm thinking just having block off is going to be the outcome.

Example of the other one before I changed it to wall

also leaving an alter version for the lower map to get looked at for judgment.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm not seeing any issues, but do you want to submit the file again just in case.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 13:35
TYP: Forge of Fury

All of the maps have been updated with LOS. Of those, the first 2 - Mountain Door East and West were reviewed and edited based on feedback from Zacchaeus. The balance of the maps - Glitterhame, The Foundry, The Sinkhole and Black Lake - have LOS completed, the first pass anyway :).

Garth

Thanks Garth, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you. These all look good. I'm going to hang on to the files for the moment and include them when I update the module - which I hope to do soon.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 13:44
Jolly good, I'll get this into the module idc.

LordBattle
November 27th, 2019, 16:41
LordBattle, sorry I saw this post after the previous one. These look good. I'm going to hang on to the file for the moment since I may get a chance to update the module soon, so I'll include this with the update. Good stuff and thanks again.

Of course! If no one else is doing so, I'm going to hop on Against the Giants from TYP.

revanmaster
November 27th, 2019, 20:10
Did this one map since I didn't read anyone doing this one.

Thepaperclipkiller
November 27th, 2019, 23:03
Question about LoS. Say I want to use one of the maps with LoS but I don't want to have the entire module containing the map open. So I grab the map and put it in a different module. Is there a way to apply the LoS from the original map to the new one? I use a lot of maps from CoS in my homebrew campaign but put them in their own module so I don't need CoS open to use them.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2019, 23:23
Good question, I don’t know whether the xml file goes along with the map when you move it. I’d need to test that.

Thepaperclipkiller
November 27th, 2019, 23:30
Good question, I don’t know whether the xml file goes along with the map when you move it. I’d need to test that.

Even just being able to copy/paste LoS from one map to another would be a good workaround. I don't know how feasible that would be but that's something I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from in regards to homebrew campaigns.

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2019, 10:57
Even just being able to copy/paste LoS from one map to another would be a good workaround. I don't know how feasible that would be but that's something I'm sure a lot of people would benefit from in regards to homebrew campaigns.

I was now able to test this and in fact it works. I started a brand new campaign; opened up assets; found a map that I knew had occluders already done; dragged that map into my images window and the occluders came with it. So any asset that already has occluders on it will retain those when they are dragged into the campaign. I knew this worked with map creation assets but I wasn't sure if that also applied to any asset where occluders have been done. Looks like it does; so happy days.

Paperclipkiller
November 28th, 2019, 14:01
I was now able to test this and in fact it works. I started a brand new campaign; opened up assets; found a map that I knew had occluders already done; dragged that map into my images window and the occluders came with it. So any asset that already has occluders on it will retain those when they are dragged into the campaign. I knew this worked with map creation assets but I wasn't sure if that also applied to any asset where occluders have been done. Looks like it does; so happy days.

Did the occluders persist on the copied image after you closed the module you took the map from? I'd test myself but not home all day to try due to holiday.

pollux
November 28th, 2019, 17:26
One thing - remember to draw a wall along the edge of each map so that tokens can't see outside of the map.

Will do, I'll close off the openings on the existing maps and keep that in mind for the rest.

pindercarl
November 28th, 2019, 17:38
Will do, I'll close off the openings on the existing maps and keep that in mind for the rest.

The line-of-sight calculations should automatically add boundaries at the image bounds. Let me know if you are having a problem with this.

pollux
November 28th, 2019, 18:59

The line-of-sight calculations should automatically add boundaries at the image bounds. Let me know if you are having a problem with this.

Ok, I will not close off the openings, I had not observed any problems... and truth be told Zacchaeus's feedback confused me a little bit but I also assumed Zacchaeus know's what is wanted from the community LoS submissions and I'm happy to comply with whatever standards you all collectively deem to be desirable.

What makes the most sense to me in terms of user-experience for FGU users drawing LoS for their own personal use is that openings on the map should be drawn as openings, without occluders, and the engine should handle that input properly (and in my own experience it does so already). However, if there are standards for LoS submissions above and beyond that for our map submissions here, I'll make sure my own submissions are in line with those guidelines.

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2019, 22:03
Ok, I will not close off the openings, I had not observed any problems... and truth be told Zacchaeus's feedback confused me a little bit but I also assumed Zacchaeus know's what is wanted from the community LoS submissions and I'm happy to comply with whatever standards you all collectively deem to be desirable.

What makes the most sense to me in terms of user-experience for FGU users drawing LoS for their own personal use is that openings on the map should be drawn as openings, without occluders, and the engine should handle that input properly (and in my own experience it does so already). However, if there are standards for LoS submissions above and beyond that for our map submissions here, I'll make sure my own submissions are in line with those guidelines.

The very first feedback I got from Doug way back in Alpha was to draw a box along the map edge. So I've always done that since. However given what Carl says above I'm assuming that that isn't actually needed (whether that's always been the case or whether it was updated since Alpha I don't know).

LordEntrails
November 28th, 2019, 22:24

Not sure I understand or not, but is this a potential problem with tiles that have open hallways connecting between them or other open space?

Zacchaeus
November 28th, 2019, 23:43
Not sure I understand or not, but is this a potential problem with tiles that have open hallways connecting between them or other open space?
It means that LOS is blocked by the edge of the map.

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2019, 02:24
It means that LOS is blocked by the edge of the map.
I'm not sure if I have my definitions correct (image, map, asset, etc) Would this mean that if I had a tile set that was say 1/4 of a room, that their would be blockers on the open sides of the room that when I put 4 such tiles together (and each was rotated appropriately) that then I would not be able to see across the room because of blockers on the edge of the joined images? Or just that the outside edges of all images automatically get blockers so players don't see outside the combined image borders?

Moon Wizard
November 29th, 2019, 02:37
It’s a box surrounding all layers contains image assets, LOS blockers, or paint strokes. It’s a single box for all layers as a whole.

Regards,
JPG

Bale Nomad
December 2nd, 2019, 03:28
Not sure why, but the file for Crypt of the Sun Lord did not work correctly for me. The short cuts were present on the player map, but not the occluders. Both were present when I opened the module cover, and the original cover image was replaced by the player map. I think it had something to do with the absence of a "parent" tag.

Through trial and error, I was able to copy the occluder tags to a fresh xml file and correct the run time problems with the cover image and the player map. I replaced the terrain occluders over the secret passages with secret door occluders on either end of each passage. I also added occluders in the "A9" crypt map.

Bale Nomad

Bale Nomad
December 2nd, 2019, 04:07
Here's a file for Well Met in Kith'takharos. I know there's not much in the way of battle maps, but I applied a grid to the 2 in this module, and I added occluders to the player "Old Temple" map. There are no doors on that map, but I did add a terrain occluder for the altar to allow crouched beings/creatures to hide behind it.

Bale Nomad

Bale Nomad
December 2nd, 2019, 04:24
Would it be possible to have a sticky post at the top of this thread with the latest versions of all the files?

revanmaster
December 2nd, 2019, 04:36
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm not seeing any issues, but do you want to submit the file again just in case.

I just redid and posted it to look like the outer balconies in format, and it seems to work for a manor-style set of stairs, but for some reason on a separate FGU pretending to be a player it was not letting it move up the stairs before.

Also, I had the changes done to the crypt done but was busy with prep for a game so wasn't able to repost the file till now.

Neovirtus
December 2nd, 2019, 21:36

Argynvostholt (1 & 2)
Blue Water Inn
Church
Coffin Maker's Shop

Hey Stewartl42, let me know if I can assist with the Curse of Strahd LoS maps. I'd like the practice with LoS drawing and am currently running the module so it wouldn't be too much trouble. If there are maps you would like me to tackle feel free to post or PM me a set of maps you aren't currently working on.

pollux
December 4th, 2019, 03:50
Couple more FG Battlemaps. I'm still working top to bottom, though if there's a grid/nogrid pair I do those at the same time.

BattleMap_Cave01
BattleMap_Cave02
BattleMap_Cave03
BattleMap_outdoor1
BattleMap_outdoor2
BattleMap01
BattleMap02
BattleMap03
BattleMap04
BattleMap05
Underdark Tunnels A
Underdark Tunnels B
Underdark Tunnels C
Underdark Tunnels D
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels A
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels B
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels C
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels D

stewartl42
December 4th, 2019, 04:24
New Maps

Abbey of Saint Markovia 1
Abbey of Saint Markovia 2
Burgomaster's Mansion
Old Bonegrinder
Tsolenka Pass
Vistani Camp
Werewolf Den

Previously Done

Amber Temple
Argynvostholt (1 & 2)
Blue Water Inn
Church
Coffin Maker's Shop

To Be Done

Death House
Van Richten's Tower
Wachterhaus
Wizard of Wines Winery

Will not do LOS

Barovia (Area map, not combat)
Berez (Area map, not combat)
Castle Ravenloft 1 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 2 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 3 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 4 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 5 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 6 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 7-10 (Isometric)
Castle Ravenloft 11 12 (Isometric)
Krezk (Area map, not combat)
Tser Pool Encampment (Area map, not combat)
Vallaki (Area map, not combat)
Village of Barovia (Area map, not combat)
Yester Hill (Area map, not combat)

stewartl42
December 4th, 2019, 04:54
I went ahead and did Van Richten's tower as well.

New Maps

Van Richten's Tower

Previously Done

Abbey of Saint Markovia 1
Abbey of Saint Markovia 2
Amber Temple
Argynvostholt (1 & 2)
Blue Water Inn
Burgomaster's Mansion
Church
Coffin Maker's Shop
Old Bonegrinder
Tsolenka Pass
Vistani Camp
Werewolf Den

To Be Done

Death House
Wachterhaus
Wizard of Wines Winery

Will not do LOS

MacDork
December 5th, 2019, 18:20
What's the convention for iron gates? I'd like players to see through, but not be able to move through until the gate is unlocked/opened.

ddavison
December 5th, 2019, 18:21
What's the convention for iron gates? I'd like players to see through, but not be able to move through until the gate is unlocked/opened.

We don't currently have a way to allow vision but block movement. For now, I would recommend leaving those open.

MacDork
December 5th, 2019, 19:13
Got it, thanks!

Neovirtus
December 5th, 2019, 21:52
I got some time so I went ahead and did Wizard of Wines Winery. Stewartl42, if you want, feel free to give me comments/criticism, I don't want my LoS maps to stick out compared to yours!

stewartl42
December 6th, 2019, 03:53
I got some time so I went ahead and did Wizard of Wines Winery.

Apparently we had the same ideas. :) Cos should be complete now.

New Maps
Death House
Wachterhaus
Wizard of Wines Winery

Will not do LOS

Ascalon
December 6th, 2019, 17:47
There we go, just a few caverns still missing (these fractured walls are a major pain). Give it a check please!

pollux
December 7th, 2019, 04:06
FGU battlemaps coming down the home stretch. I think I've got it covered at this point, there's like 4 or 5 left, plus their dupes which is just an XML copy and paste. Will be done in another week or two.

BattleMap_Cave01
BattleMap_Cave02
BattleMap_Cave03
BattleMap_outdoor1
BattleMap_outdoor2
BattleMap01
BattleMap02
BattleMap03
BattleMap04
BattleMap05
Underdark Tunnels A
Underdark Tunnels B
Underdark Tunnels C
Underdark Tunnels D
Underdark Tunnels E
Underdark Tunnels F
Streets1
Streets2 (skipped, there's nothing on this map that would obstruct vision)
Streets3 (skipped, there's nothing on this map that would obstruct vision)
Streets4 (skipped, there's nothing on this map that would obstruct vision)
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels E
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels F

MacDork
December 10th, 2019, 00:48
Doug --
Are you keeping tabs of all maps contributed here, or is the first post only for the WoTC maps? I searched for Call of the Deep from the DMs Guild, but didn't find it, so w/o scrolling page by page, I can't be certain it's not already done.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2019, 01:13
The first post shows what has been done and what is in progress.

DMsGuild stuff might be problematic since I need the module to be able to add the xml file for the occluders. I’d hesitate before spending time on anything that isn’t available from the SW store.

Zacchaeus
December 10th, 2019, 01:16
To the various people who have posted files above, I will get to them soon.

LordEntrails
December 10th, 2019, 04:22
Doug --
Are you keeping tabs of all maps contributed here, or is the first post only for the WoTC maps? I searched for Call of the Deep from the DMs Guild, but didn't find it, so w/o scrolling page by page, I can't be certain it's not already done.
I would reach out the author via the DMsGuild and find out if they are going to do the update or are interested in you doing it. SmiteWorks won't have any ability to make the updates or redistribute it without the authors permission.

MacDork
December 10th, 2019, 21:35
Thanks everyone -- great points.

Henrique Oliveira Machado
December 11th, 2019, 17:34
There we go, just a few caverns still missing (these fractured walls are a major pain). Give it a check please!

I love you lol

pollux
December 18th, 2019, 04:29
moar fgu battlemaps cromch cromch cromch

BattleMap_Cave01
BattleMap_Cave02
BattleMap_Cave03
BattleMap_outdoor1
BattleMap_outdoor2
BattleMap01
BattleMap02
BattleMap03
BattleMap04
BattleMap05
Underdark Tunnels A
Underdark Tunnels B
Underdark Tunnels C
Underdark Tunnels D
Underdark Tunnels E
Underdark Tunnels F
Underdark Tunnels Large Pool
Underdark Tunnels Underwater
Underdark Tunnels Water Edge
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels Water Filled Chasms
Streets1
Streets2 (skipped, there's nothing on this map that would obstruct vision)
Streets3 (skipped, there's nothing on this map that would obstruct vision)
Streets4 (skipped, there's nothing on this map that would obstruct vision)
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels E
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels F
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels Large Pool
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels Underwater
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels Water Edge
Nogrid Underdark Tunnels Water Filled Chasms

Still moar to do, though.

runnetib
December 19th, 2019, 05:23
I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm trying to get the Fall of Plaguestone LOS maps (which are marked as complete), but even starting a new campaign and bringing them in, I can't find any that have any walls, terrain, or what have you that'll actually make use of LOS. I've been through the whole thread, and I couldn't find anything in there to help me find what I'm looking for. Thanks!

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2019, 05:26
I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm trying to get the Fall of Plaguestone LOS maps (which are marked as complete), but even starting a new campaign and bringing them in, I can't find any that have any walls, terrain, or what have you that'll actually make use of LOS. I've been through the whole thread, and I couldn't find anything in there to help me find what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Are they indicated as being done in this thread, or has the DLC been updated yet? I don't think the DLC has been updated yet :(

runnetib
December 19th, 2019, 05:29
Are they indicated as being done in this thread, or has the DLC been updated yet? I don't think the DLC has been updated yet :(

The OP has it listed as done.

FG_Dave
December 19th, 2019, 05:29

The HTML may not have been added yet.

LordEntrails
December 19th, 2019, 16:21
The OP has it listed as done.
Until you see it get downloaded during an update it means it hasn't been incorporated into the product yet :(

father0fnine
December 20th, 2019, 22:18
Will new (or "new") modules come prepped for Unity? I am interested in Odyssey of the Dragon Lords but I don't want to get it now if I have to get a separate Unity version in six months ... or if there are no plans to add LOS and other Unity goodies to it.

father0fnine
December 20th, 2019, 22:21
Also, has anybody started work on Temple of Elemental Evil for 2E?

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2019, 22:27
Will new (or "new") modules come prepped for Unity? I am interested in Odyssey of the Dragon Lords but I don't want to get it now if I have to get a separate Unity version in six months ... or if there are no plans to add LOS and other Unity goodies to it.

There won't be a separate Unity version. The LOS data will be included in the module but FG Classic will ignore the LOS information since it won't know what to do with it.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2019, 22:27
Also, has anybody started work on Temple of Elemental Evil for 2E?

Not that I am aware of.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2019, 22:29
The HTML may not have been added yet.

Hey Digital Dave, if you send me the moduledb file; I'll add it to my list.

Zacchaeus
December 20th, 2019, 22:31
Great stuff everyone who is contributing; I am noting your efforts and will get then files updated in due course; but stuff keeps getting in the way.

father0fnine
December 21st, 2019, 01:47
There won't be a separate Unity version. The LOS data will be included in the module but FG Classic will ignore the LOS information since it won't know what to do with it.

Great!!! That means I should be safe getting OotDL for Christmas :)

father0fnine
December 22nd, 2019, 18:33
Not that I am aware of (Temple of Elemental Evil for 2e).

Ok, I've done what I believe should be done for Hommlet which is the Inn. My reasons are: I know players will be players but the intent was for Hommlet to sort of become the players base while going through the four T-series adventures. That being the case, ideally, the players do not go about hacking and slashing everybody HERE. (It expected everywhere else.) There might be some role-play in the other mapped buildings but not likely a lot of exploring or any combat. Also, AD&D de-emphasized miniatures in my opinion. A lot of the adventures were written so that maps and miniature use was not as central as previous and later editions, relying on storytelling more. I thought about doing the town map, but the layout is easily picked up in a few hours of strolling about the town. If there was likely to be any combat or exploration or the like, it would likely be in or around the Inn. I would like to know if I am doing this right. It is my first attempt at LOS on any platform and why I am uploading an unfinished module. On that note, would it be better to upload after natural breaks (Moat House, Nulb and Ruins, Dungeons, and Nodes maybe) or to hold off any more unless I need to provide a sample for suggestions, hints, and help?

GRID
In adding LOS to the inn, I also resized the grids to be 3 boxes per 10' square (original was one grid box per 10' square) and this is a change I would suggest for the official module. AD&D rules were that 3 people could walk abreast and fight side-by-side (if using smallish weapons like short swords and hand-axes) in a 10' area. This was also necessary if the FGU tokens were going to fit into the stairs areas.

WINDOWS
I wasn't sure how I wanted to handle the Inn's windows. I think this is similar to the portcullis issue I saw in another post. The best choice is if there was a "glass" option. A wall that can be seen through but not passed. Since there isn't, I first tried putting terrain boxes that extended about 3 feet to each side of the window. The idea being that from the street, the player could see about 3 feet into the common room unless they got close (token in the terrain area) to see everything. Unfortunately, that left weird little areas so the Inn front didn't look straight. I decided to use toggle walls. If someone says they're peeking in a window, I can toggle the wall off. On the second story, there is nothing for the players to see on the map if they looked out the window and nobody should be standing outside the windows looking in so I just walled through all the windows. Any looking out can be handled in the RP/story.

STRAIGHT LINES
The maps look like they were scanned in paper copies with some possible cut-n-paste, shrink-or-grow modifications going on. As such and because of the "hopefully little-to-no combat" goal mentioned above, I decided to just run the walls down the near-center of the black lines. If the resulting image lines were night straight, the LOS wall ended up not quite straight.

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2019, 22:11
Your windows should be terrain blockers. This is the way we've done all windows and arrow slits for all of the maps so far. A player will then be able to see that there is a window but not be able to see into or out of the room, until they move through it or the DM opens it.

father0fnine
December 22nd, 2019, 22:29
Ok, I've played around with terrain-as-windows a little bit more and if I were to make it the exact size of the window (not sticking out beyond the wall on either side) I find that behavior-wise, the only difference is that the players can move their tokens through the window without DM intervention, right? Either way, the DM has to click on his side before a player can look through it. Did I understand that right?

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2019, 23:27
Yes. Basically you can’t prevent a token moving through terrain occluders and the DM can switch them on or off. Clearly walls are not what is needed and they are not doors or secret doors so terrain is the option to choose.

will9k
December 24th, 2019, 00:36
Are any of the completed LOS project files available for test? My group is cutting our teeth on The Fall of Plagestone (Pathfinder 2e) and while I see that it is posted as completed by Digital Dave, I don't see the XML file posted anywhere in the thread.

WLP

pollux
December 24th, 2019, 01:04
NO MAP CAN DEFEAT ME!

FG Battlemaps is done. I need to tap out and focus on some real life stuff for a while before picking something else up. If any of the 5e modules I own are still incomplete in February I'll have a gander at one.

Edit: How do people insert images in posts? I feel like I'm not getting the most from my meme.

LordEntrails
December 24th, 2019, 02:55
Are any of the completed LOS project files available for test? My group is cutting our teeth on The Fall of Plagestone (Pathfinder 2e) and while I see that it is posted as completed by Digital Dave, I don't see the XML file posted anywhere in the thread.

WLP
Not yet. See post #341. Mr Z has not yet had a chance to catch up on all the submissions. When/as he does they will appear in the Updater.

father0fnine
December 24th, 2019, 04:29
I'm going to put this here since this is an active thread that deals with real-world LOS usage but if it would be better as a general topic in the forum, let me know and I'll redo it.

I noticed that a lot of the more recent maps are very pretty and not the "lines on paper" from my day (AD&D). I also noticed on a few of the tiles and maps that I looked at that the walls are usually blocked all around, effectively hiding the great artwork that was done in creating the map. I am curious if there is a reason for this that I missed. It seems to me that it would look a lot better if the occluding "walls" were drawn as a straight line down the middle of the artwork (or some other way so that the artwork is visible to the players).

Here is an example of what I'm talking about
https://i.imgur.com/3FBD6tH.png.

The upper right was left as originally mapped. I redid the lower left to be a simple line down the center. Here is the designer view of the LOS: https://i.imgur.com/PwhvBYZ.png.

It just seems like the players would have a richer experience enjoying the map maker's hard work and it would feel more like being in the dungeon seeing the walls instead of just black space. Thinking a head to when (and if) illumination gets implemented, it would also make a more stark difference between "black-because-of-lack-of-light" and "black-because-it's-really-a-wall"

D

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2019, 10:04
The problem is that if there are doors or secret doors in such a wall then they'll still out like a sore thumb. Doors and secret doors need to be closed polygons so don't fit into a single line wall.

The occluders do allow the players to see through them a little so that it is obvious that there is a wall. Depending on the thickness of the wall you could have very narrow polygons around them if you think more wall is good.

father0fnine
December 24th, 2019, 11:34
Well hello Zacchaeus and merry Christmas eve! I didn't expect to hear anything back until Thursday. So, as I showed in the images in my previous post, when the walls are polygons that run along the edge nothing is really "seen through." The little bits of wall that can be seen are more the original "programmer" not quite following the outline of each stone of the wall when putting in the occluders. I am a little confused. I see that doors and terrain have to be polygons. Even in "line mode" the polygon is auto-completed and the experiments I did with straight-line terrains didn't occlude properly. But I've been using the toggleable wall as a single line in T1 and everything (seems) to work alright. In my little demo room, I added two doors. The one at the bottom uses a door occluder that matches the art on the door. The door on the left uses a line toggleable wall. Since the images are not videos, you'll have to take my word for it that the toggleable wall is easily open/closed by the GM and functions as a wall when closed. The door, I noticed really small triangles of shadow at the edges of the door, but they seem to blend in with the wall-art. Maybe if the wall were some how a solid light color, it might be more noticeable? Given the very small, almost hidden size of the shadows, I still argue that going with walls-as-lines will produce a better player experience. I know that you guys have been playing with these since early alpha and I'm just a beta-tester, and I don't have the benefit of seeing how everything's developed, so I am trying to understand what I've missed.

https://i.imgur.com/4ZdRhcc.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cLRwUe1.png

D

Zacchaeus
December 24th, 2019, 15:26
The secret door in your map would need to cover the entire door I think, since otherwise the PCs are going to see that there is a door there. It's an awkward one since the door is bigger than the wall. Probably not the best example. That will cause the door to be even more visible. There is also the issue of seeing out the sides of a normal door; but if you have a single wall that probably isn't so much of an issue. But you will get possible issues with joining a polygon to a single line as you have discovered with leakage out of the sides. Overall the best results visually that I have found are to have doors and secret doors as polygons and walls drawn almost to the edge of the wall. The wall occluders do allow the player to see through the line for a few pixels so that it is obvious that it is indeed a wall.

It may well depend on the map. The one you have chosen has fancy walls but the majority don't

father0fnine
December 24th, 2019, 18:15
It may well depend on the map. The one you have chosen has fancy walls but the majority don't

That could be the case. I spend most of my days plucking around in the 2e world where we didn't have these fancy graphics and had to walk to school... through the snow... uphill... both ways! And everything was black lines on white paper. I wanted to see what 5e had to offer so I did some playing with the assets that were included in Unity and looking through some of the map packs I had (FG Battle Maps and Zacchaeus' Battle Heist) and everything had artistic walls. That was what got me thinking. The only adventure module map I've seen is the one being used in a mostly non-digital game I play in (DM uses a TV tabletop and basic image display software) for Mad Mage and that has artsy walls. Now I'm curious about other 5e modules. Ultimately, I think. If I were to get a module that had the walls occluded the way they were in that asset pack, I would feel compelled to delete all the occluders and redo them where more walls show. (In case I wasn't clear in my original message, the parts to the upper right were how the assets came out of the module. The lower left were ones where I deleted the included occluders and drew ones I thought provided a better player experience.)

To talk about the implementation points you brought up:

The secret door graphic I used was just to illustrate where it is. If I were putting together a real map for players, there would have been no graphic, just the walls.

Early on, I had noticed leakage and was even going to report it as a bug but wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. In my search, I saw a video that taught me to make sure each dungeon piece (be it polygon or line was my interpretation) extends past its neighbor and then trim the extra points that get created. Since doing that, I haven't had a leakage problem yet as I work through T1. If there are some specific instances that are more prone to leakage, I would be curious to know what they are so that I can reproduce them and play around with them. Knowing why and how things go wrong is often a lot more instructional than just knowing the steps to "doing it right."

D

Moon Wizard
December 24th, 2019, 19:14
Secret door and wall blockers can be lines, but door and terrain blockers must be polygons (since they can be seen into, but not through).

The only difference between secret door blockers and wall blockers is the ability to toggle on/off.

Regards,
JPG

sdinwiddie
December 25th, 2019, 22:58
Was playing around with LOS and ended up doing a module: A0 Danger at Darkshelf Quarry

Comments welcome and appreciated.

JimSocks
December 29th, 2019, 19:22
Any news on the OOTA Rage of Demons progress?

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2019, 11:47
I have made some updates to Tomorrow Must Burn.

There was a missing door and some wall cornerpieces that were missing on two maps. I have now corrected that.
Oh, and it is now completed, so feel free to mark it as such :)

Will now start work on PFRPG2 - Age of Ashes AP (4 of 6), Fires of the Haunted City.

Allmight; did you complete Fires of the Haunted City or am I just missing your submitted file?

pollux
December 30th, 2019, 16:28
Allmight; did you complete Fires of the Haunted City or am I just missing your submitted file?

Zacchaeus, while you're checking up on things... FG Battlemaps was done a while back and hasn't been updated in the top-post. Presumably my completion post got lost in holiday scroll, but if you're updating the top post you probably want to update that one as well.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2019, 17:41
Zacchaeus, while you're checking up on things... FG Battlemaps was done a while back and hasn't been updated in the top-post. Presumably my completion post got lost in holiday scroll, but if you're updating the top post you probably want to update that one as well.

It didn't get lost; I just haven't had time to get to it. I'm working my way through my list as we speak.

sdinwiddie
December 30th, 2019, 19:05
Here's an attempt at LOS for A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade.

Comments appreciated and welcome.

Zacchaeus
December 30th, 2019, 21:02
Thanks for taking part sdinwiddie; I'll add this one to my list.

sdinwiddie
January 1st, 2020, 08:54
Thanks for taking part sdinwiddie; I'll add this one to my list.

Thanks, Zacchaeus! Let me know if you need me to do any rework on either of them. (A0 was also posted a few days prior.)

garrion_sw
January 1st, 2020, 17:48
Sorry if these have already been addressed but I'm starting to play with some of the LOS features as I work on the Nyarlathotep maps and have some comments to make.

1. To reduce processing power on columns or trees, rather than draw a circle make an X across the feature. MapTools has done this for years due to the same issue.
2. Is there a way to cut out a section or wall with shortcut keys or a toggle? A shift function to toggle add vs subtract could be handy just like for the mask. For example, I'm drawing a wall and there is a window or open archway. I want to draw a rectangle to speed up the process and make nice straight walls. However, the windows are now covered. I can't add a node along the line or cut out a section and have it place a node at the cut points.
3. Cutting out wall nodes that intersect with door segments to remove the wall segment contained within has proven troublesome at best.

Thanks

Zacchaeus
January 1st, 2020, 17:53
Sorry if these have already been addressed but I'm starting to play with some of the LOS features as I work on the Nyarlathotep maps and have some comments to make.

1. To reduce processing power on columns or trees, rather than draw a circle make an X across the feature. MapTools has done this for years due to the same issue.
2. Is there a way to cut out a section or wall with shortcut keys or a toggle? A shift function to toggle add vs subtract could be handy just like for the mask. For example, I'm drawing a wall and there is a window or open archway. I want to draw a rectangle to speed up the process and make nice straight walls. However, the windows are now covered. I can't add a node along the line or cut out a section and have it place a node at the cut points.
3. Cutting out wall nodes that intersect with door segments to remove the wall segment contained within has proven troublesome at best.

Thanks

As far as two and three are concerned watch the videos linked in the first post of this thread. For doors I usually draw those in first before I do the walls, and that makes it easier to snap the joins to the walls.

garrion_sw
January 1st, 2020, 20:00
Thanks Zacchaeus, I had watched those videos but they didn't really address the issues I was having.

I have tried drawing doors first and last and neither method seems to be any better. I did just find a work-around. Though not elegant it serves the purpose. Once you have your door "box" and you have your wall passing through it, it will automatically create the intersecting nodes (no matter if you do the door or the wall first). Since these are hard to individually select and remove, the easiest way is to draw an additional wall line at an intersecting angle to the existing wall inside the box created by the door. Do not exit the limits of the door. Then you will use the selection tool to group select the 3 nodes created by the start, stop, and intersect points of the new short segment. Press delete. This will remove all the wall segments residing inside your door. This leaves you with a nice clean line leading up to the door and resuming on the other side of it.

I'll try to make a video and post it here in case my verbal description is confusing.

One more suggestion, make the selection tool only select nodes for the type that is selected (and maybe add an option for all node types). For example, if you have door, wall, and terrain nodes all in a given space but you only want to select the terrain nodes. Use the selection tool with the terrain option and group select all the nodes in the area. Since only the type you desire will be selected you can delete or move as desired without concern for screwing up your walls and doors.

Zacchaeus
January 1st, 2020, 20:59
Yes, I think I'll need a video to figure out what you are doing. You shouldn't be drawing a wall line through the door. Your wall should end at the door nodes as noted in my video on doors and secret doors.

If you are drawing lines through other objects you are creating a lot of unnecessary work I fear.

garrion_sw
January 2nd, 2020, 00:24
Here is a video showing the process I was describing. If you have thick walls, the Zacchaeus way is probably easier to occlude the entire thickness. However, if you have thin walls on your map a single line suffices to occlude vision. If you have square or rectangular rooms this is very fast for enclosing them.

https://youtu.be/tFF4-fYx7SM

Zacchaeus
January 2nd, 2020, 00:37
Ok, got what you are are at now. Indeed good technique. It’s similar to the way Doug described adding secret doors after the fact in his video. I think the way those cross lines work to add points has been improved since he made that video.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 11:01
Here's an attempt at LOS for A2 Secret of the Slavers Stockade.

Comments appreciated and welcome.

Perfect; I've updated the module to include the metadata files.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 11:33
Was playing around with LOS and ended up doing a module: A0 Danger at Darkshelf Quarry

Comments welcome and appreciated.

Perfect again; I've updated the module to include the data.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 12:06
Ok, I've done what I believe should be done for Hommlet which is the Inn. My reasons are: I know players will be players but the intent was for Hommlet to sort of become the players base while going through the four T-series adventures. That being the case, ideally, the players do not go about hacking and slashing everybody HERE. (It expected everywhere else.) There might be some role-play in the other mapped buildings but not likely a lot of exploring or any combat. Also, AD&D de-emphasized miniatures in my opinion. A lot of the adventures were written so that maps and miniature use was not as central as previous and later editions, relying on storytelling more. I thought about doing the town map, but the layout is easily picked up in a few hours of strolling about the town. If there was likely to be any combat or exploration or the like, it would likely be in or around the Inn. I would like to know if I am doing this right. It is my first attempt at LOS on any platform and why I am uploading an unfinished module. On that note, would it be better to upload after natural breaks (Moat House, Nulb and Ruins, Dungeons, and Nodes maybe) or to hold off any more unless I need to provide a sample for suggestions, hints, and help?

GRID
In adding LOS to the inn, I also resized the grids to be 3 boxes per 10' square (original was one grid box per 10' square) and this is a change I would suggest for the official module. AD&D rules were that 3 people could walk abreast and fight side-by-side (if using smallish weapons like short swords and hand-axes) in a 10' area. This was also necessary if the FGU tokens were going to fit into the stairs areas.

WINDOWS
I wasn't sure how I wanted to handle the Inn's windows. I think this is similar to the portcullis issue I saw in another post. The best choice is if there was a "glass" option. A wall that can be seen through but not passed. Since there isn't, I first tried putting terrain boxes that extended about 3 feet to each side of the window. The idea being that from the street, the player could see about 3 feet into the common room unless they got close (token in the terrain area) to see everything. Unfortunately, that left weird little areas so the Inn front didn't look straight. I decided to use toggle walls. If someone says they're peeking in a window, I can toggle the wall off. On the second story, there is nothing for the players to see on the map if they looked out the window and nobody should be standing outside the windows looking in so I just walled through all the windows. Any looking out can be handled in the RP/story.

STRAIGHT LINES
The maps look like they were scanned in paper copies with some possible cut-n-paste, shrink-or-grow modifications going on. As such and because of the "hopefully little-to-no combat" goal mentioned above, I decided to just run the walls down the near-center of the black lines. If the resulting image lines were night straight, the LOS wall ended up not quite straight.

I hear what you are saying but I think that for the sake of consistency the image below represents how we'd want this kind of building to be done. The players need to be aware that there are windows and/or doors on the map. If windows are done as secret doors then they won't know that there is a window there unless the DM specifically points them all out. I know that it is probably not absolutely ideal since a token can move through terrain blockers but this is the only viable solution that we currently have. In almost 100% of cases it probably won't matter anyway since nothing will turn on a token looking through a window. I can only recall one instance in a module where looking through a window would help the characters decide on a course of action.

As you say in this particular Inn there is very unlikely to be a combat situation anyway.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 12:24
Apparently we had the same ideas. :) Cos should be complete now.

New Maps
Death House
Wachterhaus
Wizard of Wines Winery

Will not do LOS

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one but things got in the way.

I don't see any occluder info for the Amber Temple 1 and 2 and Yester Hill; did you do occluders for these?

For the Vistani Camp I think we need terrain blockers at the 10, 20 and 30 foot contours and wall blockers around each of the houses. I'm not sure about the wagons being walls but I think they should be at least terrain blockers. There is every chance of combat here so I think we need to take that into account.

EDIT: Don't worry about it. I updated the maps that were missing occluders and the module has been updated.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 12:42

Ascalon, so sorry for the delay in getting back to you but everything looks good so far. Let me know when you get done. Great stuff.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 12:50
I just redid and posted it to look like the outer balconies in format, and it seems to work for a manor-style set of stairs, but for some reason on a separate FGU pretending to be a player it was not letting it move up the stairs before.

Also, I had the changes done to the crypt done but was busy with prep for a game so wasn't able to repost the file till now.

revanmaster; for what ruleset is the Crypt of the Sun Lord for? There seems to be several versions for it for all sorts of different rulesets.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 13:09
Here's a file for Well Met in Kith'takharos. I know there's not much in the way of battle maps, but I applied a grid to the 2 in this module, and I added occluders to the player "Old Temple" map. There are no doors on that map, but I did add a terrain occluder for the altar to allow crouched beings/creatures to hide behind it.

Bale Nomad

Thanks, Bale. I've updated the module for this one.

revanmaster
January 6th, 2020, 16:56
it was the 5e that I opened, and edited

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 17:47
it was the 5e that I opened, and edited

Ok, jolly good. I'll get that one sorted soon.

EDIT: now done and included in the module.

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 19:19
NO MAP CAN DEFEAT ME!

FG Battlemaps is done. I need to tap out and focus on some real life stuff for a while before picking something else up. If any of the 5e modules I own are still incomplete in February I'll have a gander at one.

Edit: How do people insert images in posts? I feel like I'm not getting the most from my meme.

Excellent stuff, pollux. I've updated the module to include these

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 19:22
Right I think I have caught up now.

All of the completed xml files that have been submitted have now been included in the modules and hopefully those will all be released tomorrow.

If I have missed anyone then my sincere apologies and do let me know that I have (and probably resubmit your db files since I've obviously completely missed them).

Smoltok
January 6th, 2020, 22:32
Hi,

Is it already possible to use those xml files to test LOS on some maps ?

Zacchaeus
January 6th, 2020, 22:46
All of the modules listed in the first post have been updated to include the LOS data. So, yes.

Smoltok
January 6th, 2020, 23:16
Thanks Zac ! I could test now.

However how to auhorize player moving token by themselves ?

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2020, 02:52
Thanks Zac ! I could test now.

However how to auhorize player moving token by themselves ?
Lock tokens hasn’t been implemented yet. See here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50483-FGU-Playtest-Known-Items

jlabbe
January 7th, 2020, 03:05
Hi folks, I completed the LOS for Storm King Thunder (SKT). Feel free to revise and modify anything you don't like.
Enjoy

sdinwiddie
January 7th, 2020, 03:38
Here's LOS for A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity.

Glad they're working out! As always, let me know if corrections are needed.

Zacchaeus
January 7th, 2020, 04:22
Hi folks, I completed the LOS for Storm King Thunder (SKT). Feel free to revise and modify anything you don't like.
Enjoy

Here's LOS for A1 Slave Pits of the Undercity.

Glad they're working out! As always, let me know if corrections are needed.
Fantastic. I’ll try to get these into the modules tomorrow.

EDIT: occluder data has been include in both these modules now. An update should be available soon.

father0fnine
January 7th, 2020, 13:48
I hear what you are saying but I think that for the sake of consistency the image below represents how we'd want this kind of building to be done.

I figured there was going to be a ruling like that. I already changed the "windows" to "terrain," but I am not, however, going to do "block" walls for reasons we discussed in a post over Christmas (starting at post 350 but I don't know how to link other posts) so I will not be able to help with this project.

D

Blacklamb
January 8th, 2020, 22:30
I'm starting on the Starfinder: Signal of Screams AP maps. Question, for caverns would you do them with walls or terrain so some of the unplayable area artwork shows as they explore?

Zacchaeus
January 8th, 2020, 22:55
The walls of the cavern would be walls since that is the limit of the sight. Anything which the players can’t move on to would also be walls such as a stalagmite or a pillar of rock which goes from floor to ceiling. Rocks of a sufficient height or elevated areas would be terrain. If you want to do one such map and submit it I can have a look at it if you want.

sdinwiddie
January 9th, 2020, 04:33
LOS for A3 Assault on the Aerie of the Slave Lords.

Comments and feedback appreciated.

sdinwiddie
January 9th, 2020, 05:04

Starting A4 The Dungeons of the Slave Lords. Might as well finish the set!

Zacchaeus
January 9th, 2020, 10:59

Perfect; I've updated the module.

Starting A4 The Dungeons of the Slave Lords. Might as well finish the set!

Good stuff.

jlabbe
January 9th, 2020, 14:49
Hi Zacchaeus,
I had to fix two secret doors in Maelstrom L2 in SKT. Here's the file.

runnetib
January 10th, 2020, 08:47
All of the modules listed in the first post have been updated to include the LOS data. So, yes.

I've tried getting into Fall of Plaguestone again since you posted this, and there still don't appear to be LOS enabled maps in it. I even started a new campaign and reloaded the modules (side note, I can't find an option to delete old test campaigns) and couldn't find anything in there either. Thanks again!

Zacchaeus
January 10th, 2020, 10:28
I've tried getting into Fall of Plaguestone again since you posted this, and there still don't appear to be LOS enabled maps in it. I even started a new campaign and reloaded the modules (side note, I can't find an option to delete old test campaigns) and couldn't find anything in there either. Thanks again!

Ok, I've removed that one from the list. I was told it was done but clearly that isn't correct.

tin_tinandcrew
January 11th, 2020, 07:46
Am I missing where to find links to playtest these LOS maps?

Zacchaeus
January 11th, 2020, 10:31

Hi tin_tinandrew welcome to FG.

If you look at the first post in this thread you'll see a list of the modules that have been updated with LOS. So just start FGU and load any of those modules and you'll find the LOS definitions on any of the maps in that module.

LordEntrails
January 11th, 2020, 16:29
Note, you actually have to own the associated product.

tin_tinandcrew
January 12th, 2020, 04:35
Thanks for the welcome! :D

I've seen the first post but can't see any links to download the modules.

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2020, 09:49
Thanks for the welcome! :D

I've seen the first post but can't see any links to download the modules.

The first post is telling you which modules have been updated only. There are no links. In order to see the LOS in action in those modules you will need, as LE points out, to own them; that is you will have needed to have bought the modules from the store or from Steam. You access them in the usual way via Library > modules > Load. If you haven't bought any of the modules then you won't be able to see any of the LOS.

tin_tinandcrew
January 12th, 2020, 13:40
The first post is telling you which modules have been updated only. There are no links. In order to see the LOS in action in those modules you will need, as LE points out, to own them; that is you will have needed to have bought the modules from the store or from Steam. You access them in the usual way via Library > modules > Load. If you haven't bought any of the modules then you won't be able to see any of the LOS.

Oh so it's all done within FGU? That's awesome! I already own a fair amount of the modules I didn't realise that it was that easy hahah. Thank you so much for your help.

I seriously love how genuine and helpful this community is and the staff at FG are. Not only is FG an incredible tool but it's all more enjoyable because of that same community and staff. 😊

Neovirtus
January 13th, 2020, 02:47
In Curse of Strahd, on the third floor of Death House - The secret door should be accessible from the balcony as well as from the Nursemaid's bedroom. Currently, it only has one entrance.

Zacchaeus
January 13th, 2020, 11:08
In Curse of Strahd, on the third floor of Death House - The secret door should be accessible from the balcony as well as from the Nursemaid's bedroom. Currently, it only has one entrance.

Fixed.

will9k
January 15th, 2020, 00:16
I am working through the LOS for Pathfinder Adventure Path #123: The Flooded Cathedral (Ruins of Azlant 3 of 6), and a few odd questions came up. I have tried to search the forums for answers, but these have eluded me.

1. Should the effects layers be included? Several of these maps are underwater maps, so if I add the effects layer for ocean will that be useful data to have included?
2. Some of the maps are split between land and sea areas. Is there a way to limit an effects layer to just one part of the map?

WLP

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2020, 01:27
No, to both questions. All you are concerned with is adding the LOS information onto the map.

Anything else would be for the DM to decide when the hp game is being played.

will9k
January 15th, 2020, 03:19
Well then, on that note here is the LOS file for Pathfinder Adventure Path #123: The Flooded Cathedral (Ruins of Azlant 3 of 6). If someone could give them a glance and make sure I have not done anything too far off the normal, that would be wonderful.

WLP

Halfront
January 18th, 2020, 15:19
PotA updated maps at this original post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50591-FGU-Sharing-LOS-Definitions-for-Maps-Crowd-Project&p=452575&viewfull=1#post452575

NOTE: I also went back over previously completed maps and cleaned up the doors and other "extra" nodes I could find.

Halfront
January 18th, 2020, 20:26
I might have missed it , but is their a short-cut key for the "remove points"?

I find it quicker sometimes to just draw an occluder past another occluder then just remove the points so it snaps to the other occluder.

Zacchaeus
January 18th, 2020, 22:17
I might have missed it , but is their a short-cut key for the "remove points"?

I find it quicker sometimes to just draw an occluder past another occluder then just remove the points so it snaps to the other occluder.

I don't think so. You can use the delete key to delete points but I think that deletes them rather than removes them.

Moon Wizard
January 19th, 2020, 04:34
Backspace key will "remove" selected points, and Delete key will "delete" selected points. Just to clarify for anybody else reading, "delete" will remove the points by breaking the line segments, while "remove" will remove the points by preserving line segments.

Regards,
JPG

Halfront
January 19th, 2020, 04:41
Backspace key will "remove" selected points, and Delete key will "delete" selected points. Just to clarify for anybody else reading, "delete" will remove the points by breaking the line segments, while "remove" will remove the points by preserving line segments.

Regards,
JPG

Awesome �� I love the remove function.

Halfront
January 20th, 2020, 00:41
PotA has been update at this orignal post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50591-FGU-Sharing-LOS-Definitions-for-Maps-Crowd-Project&p=452575&viewfull=1#post452575

4 new maps completed

4 left to complete

Ascalon
January 20th, 2020, 21:11
Here we go - as far as I can see, all Players Maps should be covered now - with the exeption of Map 2 and 3 of the Temple of Tiamat itself. Since the map covers the peaks of the "hills" inside the temple, a LOS would not make any sense. Speaking of, the maps themselves do not make any sense. Please give it a check!

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2020, 21:52
Well then, on that note here is the LOS file for Pathfinder Adventure Path #123: The Flooded Cathedral (Ruins of Azlant 3 of 6). If someone could give them a glance and make sure I have not done anything too far off the normal, that would be wonderful.

WLP

PotA updated maps at this original post:

NOTE: I also went back over previously completed maps and cleaned up the doors and other "extra" nodes I could find.

Here we go - as far as I can see, all Players Maps should be covered now - with the exeption of Map 2 and 3 of the Temple of Tiamat itself. Since the map covers the peaks of the "hills" inside the temple, a LOS would not make any sense. Speaking of, the maps themselves do not make any sense. Please give it a check!

Great stuff chaps, I'll get these into the modules in due course.

Zacchaeus
January 20th, 2020, 21:54
PotA has been update at this orignal post:

4 new maps completed

4 left to complete

Jolly Good, Halfront. I'll get them into the module when you're done.

will9k
January 21st, 2020, 06:26
LOS maps for Pathfinder Adventure Path #122: Into the Shattered Continent (Ruins of Azlant 2 of 6) are attached.

WLP

Zacchaeus
January 21st, 2020, 10:00
Nice will9k; I will add that to my list for adding to the module.

Halfront
January 22nd, 2020, 04:49
PotA updated at this post:

Only 1 map left for this module - Yartar-Player.

will9k
January 22nd, 2020, 07:38
LOS file for Pathfinder Adventure Path #121: The Lost Outpost (Ruins of Azlant 1 of 6) are now attached

WLP

will9k
January 22nd, 2020, 07:40
Sigh, corrected files attached

Halfront
January 23rd, 2020, 01:46
PotA Completed at this original link:)

Z please let me know if I need to correct anything or if a map I deemed not needing LOS needs it applied.

I took some liberties for the large cavern maps to create a terrain limiter for LOS to reduce sight ranges until a torch/vision radius sight range gets implemented.

Some examples:
The-Weeping-Colossus-Player - I created two terrain blockers so the player cant see from the bridge all the way into the main cavern.
Temple-of-the-Crushing-Wave-Player - I did the same concept so the player couldn't see all the way across several zones.
The-Plunging-Torrents-Player - At all the waterfall areas I made terrain blockers again to limit player visual ranges

If these implementations go against SW ideas or concepts please let me know and I'll adjust those maps accordingly.

Zacchaeus
January 23rd, 2020, 10:29
Jolly Good, I'll get these into the modules soon.

Moriarity
January 27th, 2020, 13:08
Here's a REALLY simple one: MD018 Neotomas Paradise - only has one map; the sewers. Very simple, basic walls, no doors, no secret doors, no terrain.

Zacchaeus
January 27th, 2020, 19:14
Here's a REALLY simple one: MD018 Neotomas Paradise - only has one map; the sewers. Very simple, basic walls, no doors, no secret doors, no terrain.

Nice; thanks for taking part.

Moriarity
January 28th, 2020, 17:35
Here's my take on a module with a slightly more complex needs than my last contribution: LoS maps for 'ALO-03-02 - Shackels of Blood'

Two maps, 'Deriel's Ambush' and 'Redplum camp' I think are OK to go but the 'Bell in the Depths' map contains mult-height platforms that are causing LoS issues. There are five platforms and I've tried several methods using walls and terrain. Some ways work looking in - but don't work looking out so any suggestions on which, if any are the best way to do this would be appreciated. This is the first iteration as all five of the multi-storey platforms should be constructed the same way.

Apologies if multi-height platforms have been raised before and I'm not sure just how complex you prefer shrubbery/large boulders to be - one large block or several multiple blocks for depth and just how much fidelity is needed around trees/rocks, etc. Is there any guidance on this?

Zacchaeus
January 28th, 2020, 18:15
Thanks Moriarity; I'm updating some other modules at the moment and I'll get to all of these soon.

Blacklamb
January 29th, 2020, 22:01
I just got the first book of Starfinder: Signal of Screams done. Please let me know anything you would like changed and I'll fix it up. I'm now working on book 2.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 12:46
PotA Completed at this original link:)

Z please let me know if I need to correct anything or if a map I deemed not needing LOS needs it applied.

I took some liberties for the large cavern maps to create a terrain limiter for LOS to reduce sight ranges until a torch/vision radius sight range gets implemented.

Some examples:
The-Weeping-Colossus-Player - I created two terrain blockers so the player cant see from the bridge all the way into the main cavern.
Temple-of-the-Crushing-Wave-Player - I did the same concept so the player couldn't see all the way across several zones.
The-Plunging-Torrents-Player - At all the waterfall areas I made terrain blockers again to limit player visual ranges

If these implementations go against SW ideas or concepts please let me know and I'll adjust those maps accordingly.

This is perfect. Thanks so much for taking part. I've added these to the module.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 13:21

Excellent work and thanks for taking part. I've updated the module to include these.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 13:23

WLP

LOS maps for Pathfinder Adventure Path #122: Into the Shattered Continent (Ruins of Azlant 2 of 6) are attached.

WLP

LOS file for Pathfinder Adventure Path #121: The Lost Outpost (Ruins of Azlant 1 of 6) are now attached

WLP

Sigh, corrected files attached

All great stuff, thanks for taking part. I've updated the modules to include these files.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 13:31

Well done; great work. I've updated the module to include this.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 13:52
Here's my take on a module with a slightly more complex needs than my last contribution: LoS maps for 'ALO-03-02 - Shackels of Blood'

Two maps, 'Deriel's Ambush' and 'Redplum camp' I think are OK to go but the 'Bell in the Depths' map contains mult-height platforms that are causing LoS issues. There are five platforms and I've tried several methods using walls and terrain. Some ways work looking in - but don't work looking out so any suggestions on which, if any are the best way to do this would be appreciated. This is the first iteration as all five of the multi-storey platforms should be constructed the same way.

Apologies if multi-height platforms have been raised before and I'm not sure just how complex you prefer shrubbery/large boulders to be - one large block or several multiple blocks for depth and just how much fidelity is needed around trees/rocks, etc. Is there any guidance on this?

I think your solution is just perfect. There's sometimes just no right or wrong way to do something like this. We just work with the tools that we have and try to fit that into what the situation is. The DM always has the option to turn off terrain occluders if they think that they aren't quite what they would expect or how they would view the situation. The central platform in the Bell map is very problematic since it can be viewed from multiple angles and so there will necessarily be multiple ways to create the LOS. I think your solution is just fine.

For vegetation and boulders etc the first question is usually does this block LOS at all? A shrub or patch of rocky ground might count as difficult terrain by that's not the same as blocking LOS. If the terrain feature is of sufficient height then we'd want terrain occluders around it. If the terrain features are close together then we'd probably be happy with a single blocker - but if you are talking about say a forest which covers half a map then I'd be cutting that up into chunks and drawing occluders in sections. There is, again, no really right or wrong answer to this. You kinda just go with what you feel is right and what is in the description. Remember too that if there isn't going to be a lot of combat in the particular area then it may not be worth spending a huge amount of time agonizing over the situation.

I have updated the module to include your files; thanks again for taking part.

Zacchaeus
January 31st, 2020, 14:08
I just got the first book of Starfinder: Signal of Screams done. Please let me know anything you would like changed and I'll fix it up. I'm now working on book 2.

Great stuff, and thanks for taking part. I've updated the module to include your files.

Acererak
February 1st, 2020, 11:53
Fires of the Haunted City - in Progress Allmight
Dungeon of the Mad Mage - in progress - Doug
Tactical Maps Reincarnated - In progress xscapebb
Hoard of the Dragon Queen - In Progress Guaccomole
Tomb of Horrors in Progress Acererak
Out of the Abyss - in Progress FriendBesto

Hi,

I've been a long time away from rpg world :-( but was involved in helping on Tomb of Horrors maps. I'll try to start again very soon, but just to be sure it has not been done already ?

Loko
February 2nd, 2020, 01:47
Here is my first try at LOS mapping. I'm sure it needs tweaking. I wasn't sure what to do with the (Spoiler) secret tunnels, so left them alone.

Loko

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2020, 11:06
Hi,

I've been a long time away from rpg world :-( but was involved in helping on Tomb of Horrors maps. I'll try to start again very soon, but just to be sure it has not been done already ?

Nope, it's still in progress.

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2020, 11:08
Here is my first try at LOS mapping. I'm sure it needs tweaking. I wasn't sure what to do with the (Spoiler) secret tunnels, so left them alone.

Loko

Hi, Loko. Thanks for taking part. If you check the first post in this thread you'll see someone else is working on HotDQ so you may want to choose another project if you want to help.

Moriarity
February 2nd, 2020, 16:32
Here's the player map (Map: Dungeon_Players) from 'C01 (5E): Alagoran's Gem' adventure by AAW Games.
The 60' incline and drop to the refuse pile caused a minor headache but achieved by using multiple terrain blocks.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2020, 17:41
Hi,

Nope, this one hasn't been done yet.

Zacchaeus
February 4th, 2020, 17:42
Here's the player map (Map: Dungeon_Players) from 'Alagoran's Gem' adventure.
The 60' incline and drop to the refuse pile caused a minor headache but achieved by using multiple terrain blocks.

Jolly Good; I've noted it on my list and I''ll get it into the module soon.

ddavison
February 5th, 2020, 21:56
I updated the storefront to show an indicator for Line of Sight. You can see it on the main store page and in the product details. Scan through the D&D modules for a quick way to spot some.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?page=2&sys=16&sort=1&search=&hidecore=1

Questions about finished modules:

Signal of Screams is an AP (Adventure Path) with 3 modules. Is it 100% done across all 3 of the modules? Since new modules are added to APs, please note which AP modules are done as you turn them in and it should help us identify which ones are specifically complete and still left to do.

There are a few modules that have different versions for different rulesets. AAW often has modules for 5E, PFRPG1 and Savage Worlds. As you turn those in, please let us know which of these it applies to. In theory, we should be able to copy the same XML file to each of the different modules if they use the exact same map.

Which rulesets?
- Well Met in Kith'takharos - Done Bale Nomad
- Crypt of the Sun Lord - Done ravenmaster
- Neotomas Paradise Done - Moriarity

LordEntrails
February 5th, 2020, 22:04
I updated the storefront to show an indicator for Line of Sight. You can see it on the main store page and in the product details. Scan through the D&D modules for a quick way to spot some.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?page=2&sys=16&sort=1&search=&hidecore=1
Very nice. Though you have a mouse over description, might I suggest you put in the page footer an explanation and a comment that other modules will be receiving LOS updates as resources permit. That way people not in the know will understand that stuff they buy will likely be updated in the future.

ddavison
February 5th, 2020, 22:11
Very nice. Though you have a mouse over description, might I suggest you put in the page footer an explanation and a comment that other modules will be receiving LOS updates as resources permit. That way people not in the know will understand that stuff they buy will likely be updated in the future.

While we have every intention of updating as many modules as possible, we have to be careful not to over promise and under deliver. People should buy content as it stands in its current form and not based on potential future upgrades.

Blacklamb
February 5th, 2020, 22:56
Signal of Screams is an AP (Adventure Path) with 3 modules. Is it 100% done across all 3 of the modules? Since new modules are added to APs, please note which AP modules are done as you turn them in and it should help us identify which ones are specifically complete and still left to do.

I have finished book one of the module I still have the last two to go, Book two I'm on the last map and hope to be done in the next day or so. Then on to the last book.

Zacchaeus
February 5th, 2020, 22:58

There are a few modules that have different versions for different rulesets. AAW often has modules for 5E, PFRPG1 and Savage Worlds. As you turn those in, please let us know which of these it applies to. In theory, we should be able to copy the same XML file to each of the different modules if they use the exact

Which rulesets?
- Well Met in Kith'takharos - Done Bale Nomad
- Crypt of the Sun Lord - Done ravenmaster
- Neotomas Paradise Done - Moriarity
Only one of the signal of screams AP is done, the others are in progress.
I updated 3.5 for the Well met one. I wasn’t aware that it is available for other rulesets. Neotomas I updated for both 5E and PFRPG. I didn’t realise that crypt if the sun lord had other versions (I just searched the store for titles I didn’t know).

Good point though. If the title does have other versions it would be good to know.

Blacklamb
February 7th, 2020, 17:37
Here we go Starfinder Signal of Screams book 2 (Module 2). I am now working on the last module in the AP.

Zacchaeus
February 7th, 2020, 18:14
Here we go Starfinder Signal of Screams book 2 (Module 2). I am now working on the last module in the AP.

Jolly Good. I think I'll wait for part three and then the whole AP can be updated at once.

sdinwiddie
February 10th, 2020, 06:16
Here's the LOS for A4 The Dungeons of the Slave Lords.

Comments/suggestions always welcome.

One note: on the detail map (Tactical Maps - Areas 6 and 10), the image has two separate maps on the same page. Both are listed as 10' per square, but the squares are of different sizes and don't line up with each other, so it makes applying a consistent grid impossible. It is probably worth splitting into two images.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2020, 09:24
Here's the LOS for A4 The Dungeons of the Slave Lords.

Comments/suggestions always welcome.

One note: on the detail map (Tactical Maps - Areas 6 and 10), the image has two separate maps on the same page. Both are listed as 10' per square, but the squares are of different sizes and don't line up with each other, so it makes applying a consistent grid impossible. It is probably worth splitting into two images.

Noted on my list.

Edit: now included in the module. Thanks again for your sterling effort on this one.

Ascalon
February 10th, 2020, 19:38
For clarifications: The modules that are listed as done - when I update them now, are the LOS included then?

Blacklamb
February 10th, 2020, 19:51
Here is the third and final book for Starfinder Signal of Screams. Now to decide what map to do next. I also put the first two here just to keep them all together.

mordkhaan
February 10th, 2020, 20:45
Is 5e Legacy of the Crystal Shard being looked at?

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2020, 21:06
For clarifications: The modules that are listed as done - when I update them now, are the LOS included then?

Yes, they should be. There may be a slight time lag depending on when I actually update them.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2020, 21:06
Here is the third and final book for Starfinder Signal of Screams. Now to decide what map to do next. I also put the first two here just to keep them all together.

Jolly Good.

Edit: I've updated all of the modules to include your files. Thanks again for taking part.

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2020, 21:08
Is 5e Legacy of the Crystal Shard being looked at?

It's not on my list of in progress - so nope.

Ascalon
February 11th, 2020, 06:28
Yes, they should be. There may be a slight time lag depending on when I actually update them.

Allright, then I'll wait. I was wondering because Tomp of Annihilation is marked as done, yet there are no LOS to see.

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2020, 09:51
Allright, then I'll wait. I was wondering because Tomp of Annihilation is marked as done, yet there are no LOS to see.

ToA has been done - some time ago and the occluders are there. Make sure you are testing in a new campaign. If you have changed any maps in an existing campaign then the occluders probably won't show. If you still can't see the occluders find the file WOTC5ETOA.dat and delete it and update FGU.

Steve Flammang
February 11th, 2020, 15:13
So here is my first try to contribute to the LOS Map Making :)

PFRPG1 Sandpoint Setting:Bunyip Club Hideout

For the first map I choose something very simple and if this fits, I will proceed on the other 11 maps from the modul.

Please let me know for any changes to be made

Ascalon
February 11th, 2020, 18:37
ToA has been done - some time ago and the occluders are there. Make sure you are testing in a new campaign. If you have changed any maps in an existing campaign then the occluders probably won't show. If you still can't see the occluders find the file WOTC5ETOA.dat and delete it and update FGU.

That did it. Thanx.

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2020, 19:01
So here is my first try to contribute to the LOS Map Making :)

PFRPG1 Sandpoint Setting:Bunyip Club Hideout

For the first map I choose something very simple and if this fits, I will proceed on the other 11 maps from the modul.

Please let me know for any changes to be made

Can you tell me what module this is for please - I can't find Sandpoint Setting in the Store

mordkhaan
February 11th, 2020, 19:04
Will see if I can get the time and have a go at it
Have just started running the module in FG Classic
Any tips?

mordkhaan
February 11th, 2020, 19:15
Hah, just had a quick flick through, could be that there doesnt appear to be any maps which would require LoS as are all outside kinda things!

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2020, 21:52
Will see if I can get the time and have a go at it
Have just started running the module in FG Classic
Any tips?

Hah, just had a quick flick through, could be that there doesnt appear to be any maps which would require LoS as are all outside kinda things!

Can you say what module your are talking about? Even if the maps are outside, if they are battlemaps then we'd want LoS on those. If they are all overland maps or town and city maps then we wouldn't need LoS on those.

Steve Flammang
February 11th, 2020, 22:02
Can you tell me what module this is for please - I can't find Sandpoint Setting in the Store

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/?search=sandpoint

Yep here's the link for the FG Store. Actually it is from PAIZO and itīs a Pathfinder Campaign Setting called Sandpoint, Light of the Lost Coast.
I also have the Pathfinder Adventure Path 1-6 Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (adventure begins in Sandpoint town). So letīs see if I have done this perhaps I will continue on those but for nowi will keep training on these :)

mordkhaan
February 11th, 2020, 22:09
Legacy of the Crystal Shard - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5ELCS
Let me know if you want anything in there sorted then and will have a go :)

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2020, 22:20
Legacy of the Crystal Shard - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC5ELCS
Let me know if you want anything in there sorted then and will have a go :)

Ah, right, sorry. Yes there is only one battlemap in LotCS - the gates of Brynn Shander. You can certainly do that one.

Zacchaeus
February 11th, 2020, 22:21

Yep here's the link for the FG Store. Actually it is from PAIZO and itīs a Pathfinder Campaign Setting called Sandpoint, Light of the Lost Coast.
I also have the Pathfinder Adventure Path 1-6 Rise of the Runelords Anniversary Edition (adventure begins in Sandpoint town). So letīs see if I have done this perhaps I will continue on those but for nowi will keep training on these :)

Thanks, Steve, I'll have a look tomorrow.

mordkhaan
February 11th, 2020, 22:29
Ah, right, sorry. Yes there is only one battlemap in LotCS - the gates of Brynn Shander. You can certainly do that one.

Will have a go!

LordEntrails
February 11th, 2020, 22:35
Thanks, Steve, I'll have a look tomorrow.
There you go again, insisting on getting a few hours of sleep!

Neovirtus
February 11th, 2020, 23:09
Corrections for Curse of Strahd. In the Death House dungeon level:

- Missing wall between Rose and Thorn's Crypts
- Missing secret door between the Prison and the Ritual Chamber

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2020, 10:41

Thanks Steve for taking part. I've had a look at the map you did and everything is fine except that you've missed a couple of secret doors which I've marked on the image below. Otherwise you are good to go. Can I put you down to do the occluders for this one?

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2020, 11:21
Corrections for Curse of Strahd. In the Death House dungeon level:

- Missing wall between Rose and Thorn's Crypts
- Missing secret door between the Prison and the Ritual Chamber

Thanks for reporting - Fixed.

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2020, 13:03
Here's the player map (Map: Dungeon_Players) from 'C01 (5E): Alagoran's Gem' adventure by AAW Games.

I've now updated both the 5e and Pathfinder 1 modules for this one. Jolly well done.

Steve Flammang
February 12th, 2020, 20:16
Thanks Steve for taking part. I've had a look at the map you did and everything is fine except that you've missed a couple of secret doors which I've marked on the image below. Otherwise you are good to go. Can I put you down to do the occluders for this one?

Ok, I have done the secret doors, better to have a look on the GMmap first, before 'occludering' the next maps, totally forgot that, thanks :)
Consider this also as a Yes for adding me to the Occluders-List, again thanks

Also feel free to give me any advisment for
(i.ex is it important that the XML has identical name as original modul and whatīs better to use: campaign per map/campaign per modul/campaign for all maps?
For me the campaign per modul makes the most sense but as I encountered a few issues as shown on pictures

Issues
Happy I could fix this simply by redragging it entirely with the selection tool ;)

I Will send a message when Sandpoint Modul is done

Zacchaeus
February 12th, 2020, 21:07
To add occluders to a module create a new campaign in Unity and open the module. Do all the maps in that campaign. The data is saved to the moduledb.xml file which you'll find in the FGdata/campaignname/moduldb folder. The xml file will have the same name as the module you were adding occluders to. Attach that file - without any changes to the name etc to a post here and I'll do the rest.

Ulric
February 13th, 2020, 22:40

I am going to work on adding LOS to Starfinder maps, but I don't want to work on the same ones as you. I have been doing Dead Suns. What have you been doing about starships windows?

February 14th, 2020, 12:55
Not finding walls in xontal's tower (Rise of tiamat). Can anyone confirm?

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2020, 13:41
Not finding walls in xontal's tower (Rise of tiamat). Can anyone confirm?

I can see walls on all seven of the Xonthal Tower maps.

February 14th, 2020, 15:18
I can see walls on all seven of the Xonthal Tower maps.

Gonna search for an update tonight and check it again.

Blacklamb
February 14th, 2020, 21:26
I am going to work on adding LOS to Starfinder maps, but I don't want to work on the same ones as you. I have been doing Dead Suns. What have you been doing about starships windows? I have been putting walls over them because they also block character movement, I typically do it on the outside edge so they can see it's glass. I was originally using terrain but was told that that was the wrong way. I really wish we had a transparent but movement blocking type.

Moriarity
February 15th, 2020, 16:26
Another straight forward side-treck LoS... Mini-Dungeon #006: Abandoned Shrine (5E) - the single "Dungeon Map (Player)"

Zacchaeus
February 15th, 2020, 17:25
Another straight forward side-treck LoS... Mini-Dungeon #006: Abandoned Shrine (5E) - the single "Dungeon Map (Player)"

Jolly Good.

Moriarity
February 15th, 2020, 17:30
Here's the LoS for "MD013 The Case of the Scrupulous Pawnbroker (5E)" another single-map mini dungeon.

Point to note: "The Dungeon Map (Player)" is a single image that depicts three levels. The problem arises when players travel from the staircase on one level to the staircase on another level and there's no way to model this with LoS.

Players are prevented from moving their character tokens between the various levels and, if the DM move the characters on behalf of the players, it reveals areas of the map to the players. Other than reproducing each level on a different map, I have no idea how this can be resolved. I'm sure this will be an issue for many more modules (multiple levels on a single map) so, does anyone have any ideas on this one?

//Edit 16 Feb... .xml file updated (I don't know if it makes any difference but I closed all the doors and re-uploaded)

Zacchaeus
February 15th, 2020, 17:55
The DM will need to hold down SHIFT whilst moving the tokens. That way nothing is revealed.

Moriarity
February 15th, 2020, 18:18
Ahaaa… Thanks for enlightening me... I should've known that :)

xazil
February 16th, 2020, 01:13
The DM will need to hold down SHIFT whilst moving the tokens. That way nothing is revealed.

Sorry but my testing with this doesn't have the that effect (all rooms players are dragged over are revealed). Am I missing something?

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2020, 09:44
Sorry but my testing with this doesn't have the that effect (all rooms players are dragged over are revealed). Am I missing something?

It would appear that this isn't working at the moment.

Moriarity
February 16th, 2020, 11:24
The shift/drag seems to be working for me. Tested with only DM connected - I'll re-check with DM and Player...

Update... With DM & Player connected, the shift/drag method works - but only on the DM's map. The background is revealed on the player map as if dragged without shift. See attachments

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2020, 13:15
The shift/drag seems to be working for me. Tested with only DM connected - I'll re-check with DM and Player...

Update... With DM & Player connected, the shift/drag method works - but only on the DM's map. The background is revealed on the player map as if dragged without shift. See attachments

Indeed. That's what I found last night. It's been reported.

Zacchaeus
February 16th, 2020, 13:16
Here's the LoS for "MD013 The Case of the Scrupulous Pawnbroker (5E)" another single-map mini dungeon.

//Edit 16 Feb... .xml file updated (I don't know if it makes any difference but I closed all the doors and re-uploaded)

It doesn't; the tool used to create the xml files that goes into the modules automatically closes any open doors and cleans up anything else too.

mdrichey
February 17th, 2020, 23:35
Any update on Dungeon of the Mad Mage? Looks like it is assigned to the boss man himself. If he's too busy, and very understandably so, might it not make sense for it to be made available for others to work on?

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2020, 01:44
Any update on Dungeon of the Mad Mage? Looks like it is assigned to the boss man himself. If he's too busy, and very understandably so, might it not make sense for it to be made available for others to work on?
Feel free to have a go. See post #8 for the db file and details of how to use it.

mdrichey
February 18th, 2020, 02:53
Feel free to have a go. See post #8 for the db file and details of how to use it.

Thanks, but I lack the time and the know-how. But it would be good if you could update post #1 to show that DotMM is available for people to work on.

brochr
February 18th, 2020, 10:11
Here is Pathfinder Mummy's Mask AP 1 : The Half Dead City

- chests have been done as rectangular "Doors" so the GM has the option of opening/closing/locking for looting

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2020, 12:08
Here is Pathfinder Mummy's Mask AP 1 : The Half Dead City

- chests have been done as rectangular "Doors" so the GM has the option of opening/closing/locking for looting

Hey brochr, thanks so much for taking part in this project. This is good stuff and I have a couple of suggestions for you.

In the House of Pentheru crypt some of the terrain occluders are not serving any purpose. If you look at the first screen shot below the terrain occluders cover the entire room and so the player token is able to see into the room without obstruction. Since the terrain occluder then goes beyond the wall of the room the occluder isn't actually covering anything up. I'm not certain that a terrain occluder is even needed to be honest but if you feel that it is and that you want to block the interior of the room then your occluder needs to be at the entrance of the room so that from outside a token can't see fully into the room. See screenshot 2 for how to do that. Essentially terrain occluders are used when a token can see into but not out of a piece of terrain. Once the token moves onto a terrain occluder then it can see beyond the obstruction.

In the Sanctum of the Erudite Eye Crypts room 15 I think the pillars should be walls rather than terrain. There is no suggestion in the text that the pillars are not floor to ceiling and so they can't be passed through by a token. It also says in the text that the dais is raised so I think here we would want a terrain occluder so that a token standing below it wouldn't be able to see what's on the platform. See my before and after images for how to do this. There's a similar situation in Room 15 of A Tomb of Akhentepi. The Dais is raised and should have a terrain occluder around it and the pillars on the dais should, I think, be walls.

There's a couple of other places where I think pillars should be wall occluders rather than terrain, such as in Room 10 of A Tomb of Akhentepi.

Incidentally when when using the ellipse tool if you hold down SHIFT whilst dragging you'll get a perfect circle.

brochr
February 18th, 2020, 12:14
In the House of Pentheru crypt some of the terrain occluders are not serving any purpose. If you look at the first screen shot below the terrain occluders cover the entire room and so the player token is able to see into the room without obstruction. Since the terrain occluder then goes beyond the wall of the room the occluder isn't actually covering anything up. I'm not certain that a terrain occluder is even needed to be honest but if you feel that it is and that you want to block the interior of the room then your occluder needs to be at the entrance of the room so that from outside a token can't see fully into the room. See screenshot 2 for how to do that. Essentially terrain occluders are used when a token can see into but not out of a piece of terrain. Once the token moves onto a terrain occluder then it can see beyond the obstruction.

In the Sanctum of the Erudite Eye Crypts room 15 I think the pillars should be walls rather than terrain. There is no suggestion in the text that the pillars are not floor to ceiling and so they can't be passed through by a token. It also says in the text that the dais is raised so I think here we would want a terrain occluder so that a token standing below it wouldn't be able to see what's on the platform. See my before and after images for how to do this. There's a similar situation in Room 15 of A Tomb of Akhentepi. The Dais is raised and should have a terrain occluder around it and the pillars on the dais should, I think, be walls.

There's a couple of other places where I think pillars should be wall occluders rather than terrain, such as in Room 10 of A Tomb of Akhentepi.

Incidentally when when using the ellipse tool if you hold down SHIFT whilst dragging you'll get a perfect circle.

Thanks Zacchaeus, I'll jump in and tidy those up. The use of Wall v Terrain for the columns was a deliberate choice as we had an instance of a player squeezing behind a column, which can't be done with Walls. However, if the accepted practice is to use Wall, I'll swap those over.

All the best
Christopher

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2020, 12:38
Thanks Zacchaeus, I'll jump in and tidy those up. The use of Wall v Terrain for the columns was a deliberate choice as we had an instance of a player squeezing behind a column, which can't be done with Walls. However, if the accepted practice is to use Wall, I'll swap those over.

All the best
Christopher

Yes, I think walls for a floor to ceiling pillar. If it were a statue which a token could climb onto or which a token could view then terrain would be the way to go. I hear what you are saying about blocking movement and that could be an issue in some maps where the gap is very narrow. From my testing if there is at least half a grid between two walls the token can pass ok, so maybe draw the pillars slightly narrower. (Then you'll get folk complaining that the pillar should block more - so sometimes you just can't win :))

ddavison
February 18th, 2020, 16:14
I tend to choose terrain for areas a player can get into, but also when I want the interior to be visible instead of just a black space. If the interior of a polygon is visually interesting, I use terrain. This could be for statues, pillars, etc.

ddavison
February 18th, 2020, 16:15

Yeah, the boss man is often a bottle-neck. It should be available for anyone else to take on some of the additional maps. Just be sure to start from where I left off so you don't lose progress on the large-ish maps that are already done.