PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Feat Combinations

PoohPuss
August 17th, 2019, 11:42
Does the Champion 8th level class feat Quick Block and the 8th level Fighter class feat Quick Shield Block stack, for two additional shield block dedicated reactions per round?

Requirements are different and so are the feat descriptions. But in spirit they are really the same.

Trenloe
August 17th, 2019, 12:50
This is only my opinion, but sure, why not? You’ll have to use a 16th level class feat (via the relevant archetype feat) to get the feat from the other class. Plus, unless the PC has a stupidly expensive shield, you’re only going to block a handful of damage (the shield hardness) with each block, and your shield probably won’t last long...

PoohPuss
August 17th, 2019, 22:23
This is only my opinion, but sure, why not? You’ll have to use a 16th level class feat (via the relevant archetype feat) to get the feat from the other class. Plus, unless the PC has a stupidly expensive shield, you’re only going to block a handful of damage (the shield hardness) with each block, and your shield probably won’t last long...

I'd also have to pay a feat tax of two rather useless fighter feats before getting that Quick Shield Block.

In total this character would be able to make 2 retributive strike reactions, and two shield blocks. So 4-23 dmg-mitigation + champion boosted strike reactions (doesn't use the shield), and 2 shield block dmg mitigation reactions. This in addition to the 3 actions.

However, the champion has several feats and abilities that improve the shield block action, although the shield still probably wouldn't last long beyond low and mid levels.
The Shield Ally class feat gives the shield +2 hardness and +50% BP.
The Champion can use the all these reactions to protect allies at Lv6.
First extra Shield Block at Lv8.
(Wrong - see edit) The champion no longer uses the shield to block the attack during shield block at Lv 10, because all shield blocks are replaced by retributive strikes with a damage mitigation of 13 (superseding the shield dmg resistance). Unless they are combined for an effective Hardness of 19 discounting special material shields. (Wrong - see edit)
He gains the second retributive strike reaction at Lv14.
The second extra Shield Block at Lv 16.

All this can of course be improved by non-champion abilities as well. So the extra shield-blocks are not necessarily as weak as it appears at a glance, but it would require most of the Champions class feats to pull off. So I still don't necessarily think it's too strong, or even strong at all. If the Champion is to fulfill it's role as a tank at high levels, and considering this class provides little less, it might even be appropriate.

But considering the first choice to pay that feat-tax must be made at character level 2 it's better to find out. I guess I should inquire at the Paizo forums.

Thanks for your opinion Trenloe.

Edit: I got it wrong. Shield of reckoning doesn't replace Shield Block, so the Shield Block reactions aren't as powerful as I claimed above.