PDA

View Full Version : First impressions and running log of feedback

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 14:54
As this is the only place we should be discussing the alpha product, I'm just going to keep my impressions and thoughts, concerns, issues, loves, etc... here as a kind of running log of my impressions. If I come across any specific bugs or issues I'll report them in whatever way the devs prefer.

Performed the initial install this AM.
Had no issues retrieving my license key from the store or installing the msi.
Login went flawlessly.
I like the larger font and better progress bars for downloading and decompressing it's much better visual feedback during this process than classic provided.
It's pretty tough to gauge the speed of this process overall as there's no real baseline other than a reinstall of classic, and that's going to have a different set of assets to download. So while my perception is that the process is taking a while, it could very well be that I'm just anxious to get in to using the actual application. Still... On this gaming laptop with a latest generation samsung evo ssd and a sick processor it seems like the decompressing and "updating" steps for modules is taking longer than I'd expect. All tht said, the actual download part of each operation is blazingly fast. just the local decompress and update feels like it could/should be faster (on this machine at least). I'll gauge the total time to install on this box and will record it with a comparison to install time on my gaming desktop which has even faster ssd and overall better specs.

I'm on 28 of 46 updates at the moment and I'm going on just about 20 minutes of wait time.

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 15:04
Total install time was ~30 minutes on the gaming laptop.
I'll have to post specs at some point to give actual meaning to these stats

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 15:09
Started a new campaign, local private game. loaded up all of the desktop decals just to see, along with wizards languages and theme. comparable to classic, startup time was about the same. It still does the "not responding" thing in the title bar that classic did during loading but overall started up just fine without issues in about 2 minutes.

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 15:10
LOVE the asset window. Great change. The organization of all these dm and player assets in a single place is appreciated.

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 15:13
Module activations cause the module browser window to freeze while loading. I kind of like this... there was never any kind of visual feedback of the open process, it would hang a bit in classic as well but you could still scroll though the window. With it freezing here, you at least have some kind of feedback to know when it's actually open and ready for input again.

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 15:38
loving the smiteworks tokens that are included. I notice that all of the tokens seem scaled in some minor way that seems to throw the proportions off. not sure what's going on there, but it looks like when you click the portait on a sheet it opens a window that goes directly to the portraits serction of the asset window - but in this window that you arrive at from the character sheet, the images are scaled down slightly and you don't have the full window to zoom in. In the asset window, they're scaled beautifully and look very clear. in the pc portrait selection window, however, they are scaled down in a way that sharpens the lines and contrasts. Overall, it just doesn't look as good as the asset window and I think clicking the character sheet should either use the same default zoom as the asset window, OR, it should just jump to the asset window instead.

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 15:54
assigned all my tokens and portraits to the pre gens. not sure if the pregens being available as imports was part of clasic too, last time I played LMoP in FG they weren't there but that was a while ago. Found it a bit challenging to locate the los enable button, but the edit menu is fairly intuitive at first glance and I was able to locate it and see dynamic LoS in action. pretty sweet. I am going to try starting a second isntance to use as a player and see how LoS works from that perspective next.

nickabbey
August 16th, 2019, 16:05
playing with dice, I have the same issue others have reported that when right clicking on a die and rolling in the chat window, it always reports 1dx even when Iright click and throw more than 1.
I like the dice sounds, but they should be configurable. I think it might get old hearing it all the time and would like control over that sound choice.

deer_buster
August 16th, 2019, 16:54
I like the dice sounds, but they should be configurable. I think it might get old hearing it all the time and would like control over that sound choice.

I like this...Put in an idea (linked in Moon Wizard's profile)

Moon Wizard
August 18th, 2019, 04:43
Thanks for the feedback so far. I didn't see any mentions that haven't already been noted, except for dice sounds.

Dice sounds are dynamic based on dice collisions. We have been considering whether to add a way to disable dice sounds, and how that might work.
Filed as task [FGU-361] - Investigate option to disable dice sounds.

Regards,
JPG