PDA

View Full Version : Help with my first ruleset?

emb
October 18th, 2006, 15:12
Hey everybody,

I just bought the full version, and I'm trying to make a character sheet for my game.

The characters are REALLY simple, and I've included a sample character below.

My question is this: is there any kind of checkbox? Nothing has real "Numbers" per se, only symbols. I can use numbers but I'd prefer not to. First though, the character.

Unspent Points: 0

Aspects
Body ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Mind ( ) ( ) ( )
Spirit ( ) ( )

Details (-5)
Delusion (sees things in the dark)
Addict-Alcohol
Addict-Nicotine
Supersitious
Gambler

Strengths (21+5)
Firearms * * *
Kickboxing
Grappling (C-Kickboxing)
Psychology
Dodge * *
History *
Occult *
Research
Detective
Sneak
Conceal
Spot *
Listen
Quick
Smart
Knowledge (New York)
Drive Auto
Language Latin

Keys
- Find out what truth about Mom (8)
- Find out why Dad disappeared (8)
- Gain more knowledge in occult and paranormal things (4)

As you can see, pretty simple. However, I want the aspects to have a series of clickable boxes, signifying damage of some kind (Like they have a value, but as they take damage, the character clicks one of the boxes, and when they fill up, they're out).

So, any suggestions? Is there a checkbox?

Is there any way to make your own, custom interaction? (Like, a checkbox that goes in series between empty -> checked -> completely full -> empty)

Thanks for your help!
-sean

emb
October 18th, 2006, 15:15
Oh, and I'm very familiar with XML and anything else I need, being a developer -- so spare nothing in your helping!

Snikle
October 18th, 2006, 15:30
Yes, check out the d20 character sheet, the second page, under

<windowclass name="charsheet_skills">

There is the code used for the check box on the character sheet, if I remember correctly, whatever image is listed for the value "0" is the default.

<multistate name="appraisestate">
<bounds rect="11,50,7,7" />
<state value="0" icon="indicator_naskill" />
<state value="2" icon="indicator_crossclassskill" />
<state value="1" icon="indicator_classskill" />
</multistate>

The icon's image is set in "graphics.xml", near the bottom.To change the image, just create a new one and change the reference in the graphics.xml file.

Hope that helps!

Oh one thing I should have added, copy the "graphics.xml" from the data folder and paste it into your ruleset folder, that way you do not mess up the original file used by FG. You will then have to redirect FG from the source data folder to your ruleset as well.

emb
October 18th, 2006, 15:47
Sweeet!

Thanks, that is perfect. So it changes state when you click on it?

Thanks for the info about graphics.xml too.. I'll see if I can get something working

Thanks a ton!
-sean

mr_h
October 18th, 2006, 16:11
Yes it does, I added a ton of check boxes to my character sheet for TSSI using the same method Snikle describes above (I actually have four states, it works the same).

Snikle
October 18th, 2006, 18:51
Yeah changing the rulesets is pretty easy to do if you mess around with it a little bit, now that I have done a couple of them, I got most of it down pat, if you have more questions feel free to ask. I am sure if I do not know an answer, someone else here in the community will.

emb
October 18th, 2006, 18:57
Ok, thanks everybody, I have my checkbox-ish things working great now.

Here's another question for you: how can you change the font (especialy size) of a text box?

joeru
October 18th, 2006, 19:05
Ok, thanks everybody, I have my checkbox-ish things working great now.

Here's another question for you: how can you change the font (especialy size) of a text box?

On how to create a new font and how to insert it into the ruleset read this post:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15274&postcount=1

emb
October 18th, 2006, 21:17
Great! You guys have been an immense help. I never did get my own custom font working (it would freeze when it opened the character sheet), but I did choose a different preinstalled font, which is working fine.

Here's a screenshot of my character sheet (with junk information on it). The clickable aspects up top are cool! Anyway, thanks again -- this is good enough for now.

https://www.hessgames.com/data/gem_char.jpg

A few important things I learned. The actual size of the character sheet is set in charsheet.xml, under the <windowclass name="charsheet">, and this controls the size for the starting window for your charsheet.

The charsheet doesn't work if you delete these tags (obvious now, but at first I thought the name="charsheet_main" windowclass tag was what I was really needing to edit).

Fonts can freeze the program if you screw them up.

And, finally, those watching the forums are very helpful.

Thanks guys!
-sean