PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Objects

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2019, 20:07
So, here's a question.

As you can see from the attached image the artist (and I know who he is and will be having a word with him) has decided to draw the bed at a 45 degree angle. This is unacceptable and I want it to be at 90 degrees to the wall. Is it possible to rotate the object in order to achieve this? I have tried every combination of mouse and keyboard that I can think of to no avail. Grabbing a corner and moving the object either shrinks or expands it rather than rotating. I also tried to change the rotation angle in the rotation angle box but it would appear that this only accepts values in multiples of 90 (is this expected behaviour, by the way?).

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2019, 21:43
After placing and returning to Layers->Selection submode, you should be able to select layer and rotate using buttons or Shift + Left/Right arrow keys. The buttons in Image Data Control are currently incorrectly rotating 90 degrees and in reverse; but will be fixed to match Shift + arrow key behavior.

We call the top bar the Modes toolbar, and the second bar the Submodes toolbar.
Within Layers mode, there are two submodes: Selection (arrow cursor graphic), and Stamp (inkstamp graphic).
When one or more layers are selected, they will have a bounding box of white square dots around it, as in your picture.

If you click rotate in Layers->Stamp submode, it assumes you want to rotate the graphic, before you stamp the next one.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2019, 22:01
Ah, ok. I was able to rotate with the buttons and I did discover the Shift + arrow keys; but that goes in 45 or 90 degree jumps. What I was asking (not very clearly obviously) was whether there is the possibility of rotating more finely than that; like you can move objects left, right or up, down by pixels using the CTRL+Arrow keys can objects be rotated in a similar fashion. I'm guessing not.

Moon Wizard
August 14th, 2019, 22:55
The third toolbar area is called the attributes toolbar.

For the Layer version of the attribute toolbar, there's a grid snap toggle in the lower right. If toggled the rotation, the rotation should occur in 1-degree increments, instead of based on grid shape. Also, the Control key should invert the grid snap toggle for that operation.

So, if you try Control+Shift+Left/Right Arrow, you should get what you are looking for.

JPG

Zacchaeus
August 14th, 2019, 23:18
Ah, ha. I forgot about the grid snap. I’ll look into that tomorrow. Cheers JPG.

EDIT: And, yes. CTRL+SHIFT+Left/Right Arrow does indeed rotate by small degrees.

Moon Wizard
August 15th, 2019, 01:26
I guess I need to work on a wiki instructional page for the new image data control.

JPG

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2019, 11:10
So for those following here's the keys I've discovered that work on objects on a map (select the object first obviously by clicking on the layer on the right hand menu)

Left/Right/Up/Down Arrow - Move object by 1 grid square in arrow direction
CTRL+Arrow Key - Move object by 1 pixel in arrow direction
SHIFT+ Up/Down arrow key - Increase/Decrease object size
SHIFT + Left/Right Arrow key - Rotate object in 45 degree increments
CTRL+SHIFT+Left/Right Arrow key - Rotate object by 1 pixel

damned
August 15th, 2019, 11:39
the artist has decided to draw the bed at a 45 degree angle. This is unacceptable and I want it to be at 90 degrees to the wall.

Coffee?

Zacchaeus
August 15th, 2019, 12:05
Coffee?

LOL.

The artist is, and has been, part of my adventuring group since he was 12 :)

Moon Wizard
August 15th, 2019, 17:50
Yes, the general premise that I'm going for on shortcut keys is:
* Unmodified shortcut keys apply primary behavior (movement for arrow keys, etc.)
* SHIFT modified shortcut keys apply alternate behavior (depends on mode/submode)
* CONTROL modified shortcut keys usually apply grid snap override (move 1 pixel <-> move 1 grid square, etc.)

All of these features "should" be available via the image data control as well; and the shortcut keys should just be ways to quickly adjust for people who like shortcut keys.

Cheers,
JPG

Bale Nomad
November 3rd, 2019, 04:02
Some observations when using a hex grid. In "Layer Mode" objects are rotated by 45 degree increments. In "Play Mode", they rotate in 60 degree increments. Is this intentional behavior? In FGC, rotating objects on a hex grid was done in 30 degree increments.

jonathanscullen
November 3rd, 2019, 04:43
hey how did you get a bed in your graphic asset. I don't have any graphic assets I cant find the folder where I drop them?

on the main page there is an asset tab it has a bunch od bags but these dont show up on the map

Bale Nomad
November 3rd, 2019, 05:22
hey how did you get a bed in your graphic asset. I don't have any graphic assets I cant find the folder where I drop them?

on the main page there is an asset tab it has a bunch od bags but these dont show up on the map

In the "Assets" dialog, click the button on the far right labeled "All". More bags should appear. Open the one labeled "Torstans Asset Pack", and then the one labeled "Terrain Objects".

Moon Wizard
November 4th, 2019, 07:34
@Bale Nomad,

Tokens are rotated in 60 degree increments, per how the majority of game systems use hex movement. It can be overriden to 30 degree increments (12 positions) in ruleset code via an API call.

For building maps, we decided to default to 30 degree increments for image placement; but you can always override with modifier key to get 1 degree rotations. (Control, I think).

Regards,
JPG