PDA

View Full Version : Converting PF1 content to PF2

Dr0W
August 11th, 2019, 20:46
Guys, I've never liked Pathfinder 1e or DnD 3.5 but I've always heard really good things about it's Adventure Paths.

Right now I fell in love with PF2 and I'm planning to run Age of Ashes for a while.

I know PF2 is really different from PF1 (otherwise I wouldn't even like it), so easily do you think it would be to convert adventure paths from PF1 to 2? By that I don't mean converting all the monsters but using the PF2 versions of it (whenever available), and adapting NPCs and the such.

I've never followed it's lore, but I know now there are goblins and such. Does PF2 happen in a timeline that stuff from the previous AP would be weird? For example, a god on PF2 that wasn't a god on PF1, or completely not being able to use goblins because on PF1 they were villains only? Or, storywise, I could run them without major problems?

I am away that Kingmaker is under production for PF2 and that really interests me, but I've read that the Rise of the Runelords is a great introduction to the setting.

I'm accepting suggestions about APs to read, or even books if there are any, about Golarion to get more acquainted to Golarion.

Bidmaron
August 11th, 2019, 21:03
I am planning on doing that. My big PF2 starts with the first play test scenario and then moves to Sandpoint for Rise of the Runelords.
Encounter balancing in PF1 was pretty crappy, based as it was on 3.5 (which was even more complicated and worse). So what I am doing is looking at the encounter balancing guidelines in PF1 and using the monsters from the original where I can. In some cases the monsters don’t exist yet. I haven’t tackled any of those yet.
The original adventure paths included roadmarks of where players should be in advancement at points in the AP so you will have to add encounters (usually) to make those marks. In fact, if you want to go to 20th, you will have to do a lot of this as most of them capped at 20th.
The newest RotRL is better balanced but even it was a little notorious for TPKs, so unless you like that kind of game you need to be mindful of it. But I think if you follow the excellent new encounter guidelines you will be fine but you might have to insert some interim encounters to push the given ones right if you want to stay close to the types and numbers of creatures in the original.
(Edit) oh to answer your questions, the timeline for PF2 picks up where PF1 material stopped and assumes that the players were victorious. So the cleanest way to run it is to run in the past. Since your players will get as high as you want, it won’t be a problem. I can’t remember anything in RotRL that would not work in PF2 rules with a little work. There was never anything stopping a DM from having good goblins really....

Dr0W
August 11th, 2019, 21:48
Thanks a lot.

Yea, some questions might sound silly because I really had absolutely no contact with PF1 content. (Like, yea, I know as an experienced DM I could say that there existed some Good goblins. I just don't know how the world should reflect. Would people be "OMG, freaking goblins, you should kill them!", or should they be "Ok, suspicious but I know some of them are tolerable now")

Bidmaron
August 11th, 2019, 23:20
Actually, I am looking forward to it, as my son's character is a goblin alchemist. I am really looking forward to the role playing opportunities that will present given the a good deal of the first volume of the AP is against goblins! He is at my house now sitting at our pool with the grandkids, and we were discussing his background and how he and his father represent the first good goblins. His dad was a goblin statue sculptor (already strange for a goblin!) and was secretly the first good goblin. My son's character is a devout Iomedae follower (LG), so this should really be super! I am so looking forward to it. They will start in Magnimar in the first scenario of the playlets scenario and then have an adventure or two getting to Sandpoint for the start of a (beefed-up) RotRL. I can hardly wait.

Gwaihir Scout
August 13th, 2019, 16:05
The official conversion guide was just released. (https://paizo.com/products/btq01zyf?Pathfinder-Second-Edition-Conversion-Guide) The hardest part will be the loot.

Skellan
August 13th, 2019, 19:26
It is more adaptation than conversion. I like it.

Dr0W
August 14th, 2019, 15:48
Woa, great!