PDA

View Full Version : FG Con 15 - Friday November 8th to Sunday November 10th, 2019!

Trenloe
August 10th, 2019, 14:41
This is just a very quick announcement to let people know of the official dates for FG Con 15!

It will be Friday November 8th to Sunday November 10th, 2019. Starting around 5pm New Zealand time on the Friday and ending around midnight Hawaii time on the Sunday - over 72 hours of gaming.

So, block out that weekend... Get your game(s) on! :)

We'll be spending the next week updating the FG Con website and testing the booking system etc.. So please bear with us if info on the site is initially out of date.

We aim to have the booking system open for GM event submissions on Friday August 16th.

Please spread the word to make people aware and GMs - start planning your game/s... :)

A few things to keep in mind for FG Con:
1) Run the games using Fantasy Grounds, and the “live” setting. This will be using FG Classic - no FGU Beta testing (if it's out by then) to be done in FG Con 15. The GM should have a minimum of a GM/Standard license - SmiteWorks upgrade Standard/GM licenses to Ultimate for the period of the convention. With a standard license you can GM any players for the convention - with or without licenses.
2) Run each session in a designated time slot - the length and start time is up to you. Keep to this time slot to allow players the chance to take part in as many events as possible - try to start on time and don't overrun!
3) Use the FG Con website and event booking system. You can advertise events elsewhere (we encourage that), but all event listings and player booking have to be through the FG Con site. GMs are required to enter their own events so that they have full access to player bookings for review and communication. GMs are required to communicate with their players for pre-event confirmation and coordination.
4) Use the FG Con designated Discord server for in-session communications.
5) Only run games during the weekend of Friday November 8th to Sunday November 10th.
6) Abide by the instructions and directions of the FG Con admin team.
7) Keep it simple for players to sign-up and participate. Have pregens ready, try not to have too complex pre-game player preparation. A lot of convention players just want to turn up and play - help them do that.
8) Try to keep games fairly newbie friendly - we get a lot of people trying out Fantasy Grounds and new RPG systems. If you expect a certain level of knowledge of FG or the system you're running, be very clear in your event post and subsequent communications.

FG Con is a great way to meet other online players and GMs, try games you've never played before and get to know Fantasy Grounds - we can all learn more from seeing a different GM in action.

More info to come in due course... The main organisers have been super busy recently, so we apologise for our (my) tardiness in making this announcement...

damned
August 11th, 2019, 04:41
I'll be running 3 sessions of Pulp Action! over the course of FG Con 15.

1930s pulp era action in a world fast becoming modern but where many corners are still being explored. Are you a wise cracking gumshoe, a connected dilettante, a whip cracking explorer or a street smart thug who knows how things really work? Use every skill and connection you have to ride this wild tale to its conclusion.

This fast and simple game system is loosely based on the PbtA and Gumshoe systems and is designed to be easy to play for both beginners and seasoned campaigners. Roll high or low, the story is what counts.

Pulp Action will run for 2 to 5 players – all comers are welcome. No experience with Fantasy Grounds or Pulp Action is required.

Session 1 - Isis
In this session a wondrous Egyptian archaeological exhibition is on display at the Museum of Natural History and the new German Chancellor is in town.
https://www.fg-con.com/events/pulp-action-isis-2/

Session 2 - Symposium
In this session Albert Einstein has been invited to attend a Symposium of the Greatest Minds of the Ages at the World Exhibition in Brussels.
https://www.fg-con.com/events/pulp-action-symposium-2/

Session 3 - Bund!
In this session violent protests and rallies rock the streets of New York. Communists, Trade Unionists, the German American Bund and local police are all involved!
https://www.fg-con.com/events/pulp-action-bund/

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/pulp-action.jpg

Hector Trelane
August 15th, 2019, 03:09
Great that another FG Con is rolling around!

In the immortal words of the Dude:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28456

"I'll be there, man."

I plan to run two or three games. Looking forward to it!

wndrngdru
August 16th, 2019, 16:27
Hey Trenloe,

I'm trying to add a session but it doesn't like my date format. It says to use the date picker but there is no date picker present, just text fields.
Tried it on both Chrome and Edge browsers.

Alternatively, what format is it expecting and I'll just type it that way?

Trenloe
August 16th, 2019, 16:32
Hey Trenloe,

I'm trying to add a session but it doesn't like my date format. It says to use the date picker but there is no date picker present, just text fields.
Tried it on both Chrome and Edge browsers.

Alternatively, what format is it expecting and I'll just type it that way?
The booking system isn't fully open yet. Thanks for letting us know about the data picker issue.

wndrngdru
August 16th, 2019, 16:39
The booking system isn't fully open yet. Thanks for letting us know about the data picker issue.

Ah, well that might explain a thing or two. Leave it to me to overlook the "We aim to" part of that sentence in the announcement. :rolleyes:

Trenloe
August 22nd, 2019, 20:23
Sorry that GM event submission has not opened yet. We're having a major issue where the jQuery datepicker and other UI elements aren't rendering - making it impossible to enter an event. We're working on it, but we're a bit stumped at present... No ETA on a fix as yet.

Doswelk
August 24th, 2019, 14:46
I'll be running Deadlands Dark Ages: Sins of the Father.

Trenloe
September 5th, 2019, 04:10
We've finally got the website working - that was a major mission.

As we're 5 weeks away from the original date, we're thinking of pushing it back for this year to November 8th-10th. I know this is one week before Aethercon, I don't know how much cross over we get (people playing in both) but we've never really had any overlap between the two.

Ellspeth
September 5th, 2019, 10:31
The later date works better for me, and I know one GM who can never run in the October FG-Con that would be able to run the November date.

Hector Trelane
September 5th, 2019, 10:45
Later date also works for me.

YamaShintaku
September 5th, 2019, 13:41
We've finally got the website working - that was a major mission.

As we're 5 weeks away from the original date, we're thinking of pushing it back for this year to November 8th-10th. I know this is one week before Aethercon, I don't know how much cross over we get (people playing in both) but we've never really had any overlap between the two.

Either date works for me. When will you know the date changed for sure?

Trenloe
September 5th, 2019, 17:11
When will you know the date changed for sure?
Unless there's a big clamouring to keep the old date in the next 24 hours, we've pretty much decided already.

stephan_
September 5th, 2019, 19:04
I probably will be in a hotel room at that time but as the original date also had some issues for me, it doesn't really matter anyway in the grand picture.

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 04:48
New dates confirmed for Friday November 8th to Sunday November 10th.

You should be able to enter your GM events now. Please let us know if there are any issue.

Art Wendorf
September 6th, 2019, 13:46
New dates confirmed for Friday November 8th to Sunday November 10th.
Please let us know if there are any issue.The FG-con website still lists the old dates.

Art Wendorf
September 6th, 2019, 13:49
New dates work great for me! I'm on Staycation then.

Ellspeth
September 6th, 2019, 15:08
This give me plenty of time to light a fire under, er I mean, help the team at Savage Mojo prep their entries.

Myrdin Potter
September 6th, 2019, 15:10
I know I will be running some things. Last con Bill webb from Frog God Games dropped by to say hello while I was running Rappan Athuk.

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2019, 15:27
If I get my Knight Hawks rule set I will run and stream a session or two of that. Not sure how all that will go as it's aboard game, but should be something new,

I will probably also run something 5E just for fun!

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 17:31
The FG-con website still lists the old dates.
Thanks for the reminder. I've updated the text dates (hopefully all of them). We still have a couple of updates to make to the FG Con website (some graphics have the old dates), but it's ready for GM event submission. We've set the player event registration to open 4 weeks before the con starts, opening on Friday October 11th.

dstuffle
September 6th, 2019, 19:53
Looks like the calendar on the site needs to be updated also.

Hector Trelane
September 6th, 2019, 20:18
Heads up on scheduling time zone confusion: FG Con 15 times seem to be an hour different than currently, since they fall after Daylight Savings switch.

Example:

US Eastern is currently UTC-4.
But on Nov 3, Daylight Savings time ends, clocks fall back, so it becomes UTC -5
Ergo, the time I put into my FG Con event calendar booking for Nov 8-10, which I must enter in UTC, must be -5.

This website gets it right: https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 20:46
Looks like the calendar on the site needs to be updated also.
Yep, that's one of the graphics I was referring to.

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 20:50
Heads up on scheduling time zone confusion: FG Con 15 times seem to be an hour different than currently, since they fall after Daylight Savings switch.

Example:

US Eastern is currently UTC-4.
But on Nov 3, Daylight Savings time ends, clocks fall back, so it becomes UTC -5
Ergo, the time I put into my FG Con event calendar booking for Nov 8-10, which I must enter in UTC, must be -5.

This website gets it right: https://www.timeanddate.com/time/change/
Thanks for the heads up, I just need to change the code to calculate for November 8th instead of October 11th as it is now.

Continue to enter your events in GMT (UTC 0) as normal.

Hector Trelane
September 6th, 2019, 21:42
I've submitted two events:

Fiasco [Learn to Play]: a Game of Powerful Ambition and Poor Impulse Control:
If you’ve never played this ground-breaking classic, you owe it to yourself to try this game out! FIASCO is an award-winning, GM-less game for 3-5 players, designed to be played in a few hours with six-sided dice and no preparation. During a game you will engineer and play out stupid, disastrous situations, usually at the intersection of greed, fear, and lust. It’s like making your own Coen brothers movie, in about the same amount of time it’d take to watch one.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25856

The One Ring: A Final Pilgrimage Home
You are Dwarves (accompanied by a Woodman and a Beorning) leading a caravan from the Blue Mountains across the Wilderland to guide an old father, survivor of that terrible day Smaug came, back home to the Lonely Mountain. Can you give the aged dwarf peace in his final winters, allowing him to lay his eyes one last time upon his beloved home--and find a new one for yourselves? This is a sandbox adventure showcasing the Journey rules in The One Ring. Players will choose their route beyond Mirkwood, prepare for their journey, and lead the expedition to reach, at last, Erebor before winter--or die trying (a real possibility).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28839

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 21:51
I've changed the code - would you mind checking that the website offsets correctly for you now please? Thanks!

Hector Trelane
September 6th, 2019, 22:02
I've changed the code - would you mind checking that the website offsets correctly for you now please? Thanks!

Yes, the hours look to be listing correctly, thanks. (I caught an error of my own making for the date of one of my events, though... resubmitted that one.)

Trenloe
September 6th, 2019, 22:11
Yes, the hours look to be listing correctly, thanks. (I caught an error of my own making for the date of one of my events, though... resubmitted that one.)
Cool, thanks for checking.

wndrngdru
September 8th, 2019, 03:22
I'll be running a couple sessions of Dungeon World, one Friday evening and one Sunday afternoon (CST). I'm also thinking of doing a sesh of Apocalypse World on Saturday but I need to work a couple things out first.

Trenloe
September 8th, 2019, 11:45
I'll be running a couple sessions of Dungeon World, one Friday evening and one Sunday afternoon (CST). I'm also thinking of doing a sesh of Apocalypse World on Saturday but I need to work a couple things out first.
Great! Thanks.

Hector Trelane
September 8th, 2019, 15:50

Good stuff! wndrngdru’s games are well run—I can personally vouch for it. Worth trying out Powered By the Apocalypse games.

Ellspeth
September 12th, 2019, 10:28
I can't offer the level of detail some of you have all ready covered, but Savage Mojo has set up a channel for their GM's to coordinate for this coming FG-Con. Through the summer they have released 7 new jumpstarts for the upcoming MR23 Realms materials, and the goal is to run each of them.
What I have so far, and this is still tentative;
Fae Lands, Miles Kantir will GM sometime Friday USA Pacific time. Austeria, Gunbunny, Saturday afternoon USA eastern time. Wilderlands and Untamed Empires, GMClyde, sometime Saturday or Sunday, USA Pacific time.For myself I'll be running Gatherall and Dungeonlands, my times are less definite, though one would be Sunday morning USA time, the other either Friday or Saturday evening, US Eastern time. We don't have a GM who has committed to the Shaintar jumpstart yet, but we expect to.
Savage Mojo also offers any support required for new GM's in the Suzerain Continuum, and some free stuff in the way of perks for those who join us on the Savage Mojo Discord channel looking for help. More details will be forth coming as our planning progresses. Nor are GM's running Suzerain limited to the 7 jump starts, Savage Mojo will back any GM running any Suzerain material.

dstuffle
September 13th, 2019, 04:43
I'll be running a Deadlands - Noir mystery/adventure on Friday evening 8 Nov (US time). I'll be running the A face by any other name adventure.

Trenloe
September 20th, 2019, 00:09
We now have 14 events submitted by GMs, with a nice range of systems: The One Ring, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu, Pathfinder 2, D&D 5E, Fiasco, Dungeon World...

Hector Trelane
September 20th, 2019, 02:08
Nice! There’s room for more, of course. C’mon, other GMs—jump in the pool, the water’s fine!

PS As I don’t use Facebook for gaming, my social media advertising for FG-Con has fallen off since Google+ went away. Suggestions as to where other good fishing holes are?

goodmanje
September 28th, 2019, 01:02
Nevermind, I won't be running anything.

KILLGORE
September 28th, 2019, 05:25
Ill put something together for Pathfinder and Starfinder.

devilspork
September 30th, 2019, 16:58
Hey Trenloe, front page of the fg-con.com website still lists player sign up date as 9/13/19, not the updated date of 10/11/19.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2019, 17:05
Hey Trenloe, front page of the fg-con.com website still lists player sign up date as 9/13/19, not the updated date of 10/11/19.
Thanks for the heads-up - I've made the change. Please let us know if there's anything else incorrect.

Carog the Fat
October 1st, 2019, 04:46
Ok I will try to run Oririgin of the Open Road a couple of times. Events added under my FG con name of Richy

Trenloe
October 1st, 2019, 04:49
Ok I will try to run Oririgin of the Open Road a couple fo times.
Great! Please try to coordinate PFS games with the others as a group. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50769-FG-Con-15

Carog the Fat
October 1st, 2019, 04:55
Great! Please try to coordinate PFS games with the others as a group. Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50769-FG-Con-15

Already done thanks

Miles M Kantir
October 1st, 2019, 05:57
I'll be running an adventure in Suzerain's Fae Lands on Friday starting 20:00 UTC (midday Pacific time). Should be a fun time. Although we've had multiple Suzerain adventures in previous FG-Cons, this is the first one I'm running personally.

Here's the link to the event: https://www.fg-con.com/events/suzerain-fae-lands/

I'm excited!

Trenloe
October 1st, 2019, 18:13
We have a few more events posted - thanks!

Player registration begins Friday next week. So if you're planning on running any games please get them in before then if possible. You can submit them after, but it is better all round if they're submitted before players start booking.

Pathfinder Society Organized Play - we have 10 session so far, which is not enough to get convention support. PFS GMs - please consider running some events! More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50769-FG-Con-15

Trenloe
October 7th, 2019, 13:31
We are 4 sessions short of getting Paizo convention support for FG Con 15. To get this we need 15 sessions, but only currently have 11. If you’re thinking of running any Pathfinder or Starfinder organized play sessions at FG Con 15 please enter your details on the sheet available in the following thread ASAP! Thanks.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50769-FG-Con-15

dstuffle
October 8th, 2019, 04:31
It won't help the Pathfinder count, but I've added a second Savage Worlds game. Running a Tour of Darkness adventure set in weird wars: Vietnam War. Drop in to find out what humping the bush was.

Trenloe
October 11th, 2019, 13:36
Player registration is now open for events!

GMs - please remember to review and approve bookings. The link is in the booking notification email.

If you're a GM and planning on running something that isn't entered yet, please do so soon.

dmccoy1693
October 11th, 2019, 20:58
Glad to hear that the weekend has been changed to something not so crowded. I submitted an event.

Trenloe
October 11th, 2019, 21:28
Glad to hear that the weekend has been changed to something not so crowded. I submitted an event.
Thanks for posting an event!

The registration option was not selected. I've done that and set the event at a maximum of 6 players. More info on setting up an event is available in the guidelines document on this page: https://www.fg-con.com/information/gm-guidelines/

Achernar22
October 13th, 2019, 17:10
Creating a new event "Hunt for Thessalhydra" for Saturday, November 9th from 3 pm to 7 pm est. (1900 to 2300 utc I believe). Submitted for review but the times seem to keep changing when I save it as a draft. The minimum number (3) of players also is not showing up on the 'preview'. Any suggestions?

Trenloe
October 13th, 2019, 18:46
Creating a new event "Hunt for Thessalhydra" for Saturday, November 9th from 3 pm to 7 pm est. (1900 to 2300 utc I believe). Submitted for review but the times seem to keep changing when I save it as a draft. The minimum number (3) of players also is not showing up on the 'preview'. Any suggestions?
Thanks for running an event at FG Con 15!

You were putting minimum/maximum players and start/end time in the individual bookings/registration entry. You don't put those there as that controls availability of the booking and how many bookings can be made by each person. This is covered in the GM event guidelines linked in post #50.

I've edited the event and published it. Please check that is looks OK.

Achernar22
October 14th, 2019, 04:28
Thank you. Looks good.

Hector Trelane
October 15th, 2019, 03:00
For those who want to incorporate FG-Con 15 into their a signature, the attached txt file gives the code I used in my own signature. (A reasonable stop-gap in damned's absence...)

Myrdin Potter
October 16th, 2019, 13:48
Just a reminder that if you are running 5e and you need pregenerated characters, I converted the example WoTC characters (16 different ones) from levels 1-10. It can be found here:

https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Michael%20Potter&affiliate_id=229540

Anyone using these for FG Con can feel free to use without and guilt for the "Pay What it is Worth". If you do feel guilty :-), the one that is closest to achieving "copper" status is the High Elf (just 1 more paid sale to go) but most of them are in the high 40's.

Achernar22
October 18th, 2019, 02:11
Any advice on recruiting new players to D&D for FGCon? I'd like to run the one shot with brand new players interested in trying it out for the first time. I figured running the Stranger Things 'Hunt for Thessalhydra' would help. Thanks!

Hector Trelane
October 18th, 2019, 04:13
Any advice on recruiting new players to D&D for FGCon? I'd like to run the one shot with brand new players interested in trying it out for the first time. I figured running the Stranger Things 'Hunt for Thessalhydra' would help. Thanks!

Hi Achernar, see my post on advertising and FG-Con publicity here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50769-FG-Con-15&p=457154&viewfull=1#post457154

Reddit has a 5e forum with a massive following, and a search for "LFP", "LFG" and "Stranger Things" turns up plenty of hits (so people are recruiting there and curious about the game you're running). https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/ I haven't tooled around Discord but no doubt there's popular forums there, too, where a post might attract interest.

I posted one brief invite post here on the reddit forum to a Stranger Things thread linking to your game (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/boqc2r/how_is_the_stranger_things_adventure/f457mvt?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x). It'd be worth posting another post there too directly inviting people.

skj310
October 18th, 2019, 17:32
super cool in offering these up for FG-Con ... thanks a bunch!

Hector Trelane
October 29th, 2019, 20:44
FG-Con GM tip to reduce the likelihood of no-show players*:

Now's a good time for FG-Con GMs (if you haven't already) to email your players to confirm whether the game is moving forward, share the Discord server, game requirements, and all prep involved in your specific game.

This is important to reduce no-shows and to engage players early for a better game session. Past experience teaches that communication, communication, communication is the best medicine to prevent players forgetting, or assuming the game is cancelled, or getting distracted by some shiny object that isn't your game. And "communication" really means emails directly to your players, which you received from your booking messages from the FG-Con website.

In case it's helpful, here's an excerpt I used today in my own confirmation emails:

A few housekeeping matters:

The session is going ahead
We'll be using the Fantasy Grounds Discord Server https://discord.gg/VKbhkSt
Players will need to have Fantasy Grounds and Discord installed
Please be sure to have tested your headset/mic and to set it to push-to-talk.
Please confirm by email (reply here) that you're attending
Please communicate anything else that is relevant (any special requirements)

*All of this advice is originally from Trenloe and damned--I'm just the messenger (aka plagiarizer).