PDA

View Full Version : Class and Archetype Module

Blahness98
August 10th, 2019, 00:07
Greetings,

Attached to this post is all the classes and archetypes that are currently in PF 1e in a drag and drop state. This should allow a player to simply find the class (and archetype) they want and drop it on their character without problems. Along with the drag and drop classes are all the special abilities that go along with those classes, also drag and drop capable. This module is complete with 1,541 classes and 5,067 special abilities. I have not created any effects for any of the abilities.

Please note, this is a VERY data intensive module, as such, there actually is a 10-15 second load time when the module is initially activated and when you click on the "Class" or "Special Ability" in the library screen. During these load times, FG will hang, but the program will come back after the load. I highly recommend that you do not access the class data from the library and instead, use the Class/Special Ability shields on the right of the screen.

All classes in the Class shield are grouped for easy of access. This module ONLY has single archetypes built. It is well beyond my scope to even attempt to create combinations of archetypes within a single class.

The same goes for the Special Abilities shield. All class abilities can be searched for or filtered for easy access.

Please note: Any spellcasting classes (aside from base classes (wizard, cleric, etcetera)) will not have their spell slots and automatically setup by default. This is due to inherent automation done by FG. See this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50404-Class-and-Archetype-Module&p=635755&viewfull=1#post635755) for more details.

Any questions, let me know.

Now on the forge: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/738/view

Blahness98
August 10th, 2019, 00:07
Changelog

8/9/2019 - Uploaded initial mod file with several classes. Took a break to recharge after lots of solid entering.
1/21/2020 - Found some time to upload a new .mod that includes the Skald. Started progress on the Slayer.
1/23/2020 - Completed the Slayer, progressing to the Sorcerer. Will upload a new .mod when Sorcerer is completed.
1/24/2020 - Completed the Sorcerer, backtracking to Rogue. Have all the talents and other fun abilities built. Progressing on to building the classes.
1/26/2020 - Completed the Chained Rogue. Planning on starting the chained rogue.
1/28/2020 - Completed unchained Rogue and moving on to the Spiritualist. Surprisingly, the archetypes for Spiritualist take more time to create than the rogue ones.. Unfortunately, I think I may have to add in Eidolons and Phantoms which will add even more to this already data large file..
1/29/2020 - Completed the Spiritualist, started work on the Summoner.
1/30/2020 - Completed both Summoner Classes, started work on the Swashbuckler. Uploaded all current changes.
2/5/2020 - Took a few days off from the module, but started again and completed work on the Swash and Vigilante. Groundwork as been laid for the Warpriest.
2/9/2020 - Completed the Warpriest, Witch, and started work on the Wizard. I hope to have this module done soon..
2/14/2020 - All classes and special abilities have been entered and work is functionally complete.
3/15/2020 - Uploaded a Unity compliant module.
1/14/2022 - Uploaded new module incorporating changes made by bmos (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50404-Class-and-Archetype-Module&p=616610&viewfull=1#post616610) for better Unity formatting, corrected missing data for Slayer (Cutthroat).

Kelrugem
August 10th, 2019, 03:42
Very nice, thank you very much :)

Ckorik
September 11th, 2019, 21:09
Just wanted to say that this ROCKS!

Any updates on progress and or how can we help other than cheers from the sidelines

Blahness98
September 13th, 2019, 00:58
Just wanted to say that this ROCKS!

Any updates on progress and or how can we help other than cheers from the sidelines

I put this on hold for a little while. I pretty much burned myself out building what I did in the amount of time that I did it in. But, it needs to be finished and I hope to start on that probably this weekend.

Morquendel
January 3rd, 2020, 00:18
Oh my god. Thank you so much.

Callum
January 3rd, 2020, 10:19
This is great, Blahness98 - thanks very much! Do you have any idea when you might finish the skald class? I have a player who is just about to start playing a skald, and having this working would be a real benefit for us!

Blahness98
January 3rd, 2020, 14:31
I haven't had a lot of time recently due to real life issues. Was there something specific you were looking for?

Callum
January 5th, 2020, 19:58
Ah, no worries. You stated that the skald class was "in progress", so I was just hoping that it might be completed soon! But I know how real life can intrude...

BigSky
January 18th, 2020, 06:00
Vote #2 for Skald

CinderByte
January 21st, 2020, 13:58
Just wanted to say thanks for the module. It has helped me convert many of my characters from sheet to game.
Looking forward to the updates for UC Rogue/Skald.

Blahness98
January 22nd, 2020, 02:45
Uploaded a new version that includes all the Skald archetypes.

Blahness98
January 29th, 2020, 02:40
I know I must released the Skald updated file, but should I drop the file with the rogue classes done or just keep pressing on and upload a new file when I am done?

Morquendel
January 29th, 2020, 08:49
as you please. Itīs free -> happy me ;)

Callum
January 29th, 2020, 12:12
I'd like to have the version with the completed rogue classes in, if it's not too much trouble!

In general, I think it's nice to get regular updates.

Blahness98
January 30th, 2020, 07:28
I'd like to have the version with the completed rogue classes in, if it's not too much trouble!

In general, I think it's nice to get regular updates.

Well, unchained rogue is out. Added about 20 megs worth of data in a weekish. But then end is coming into sight..

Blahness98
February 14th, 2020, 20:49
Guess everyone deserves a Valentine's Day present, so here is mine to the community. My class and archetype module is now complete with all classes and single archetypes entered. Stats on the module can be found in the first post. If anyone finds errors, let me know and I will correct them as soon as I am able. Enjoy!

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2020, 22:33
Awesome work, much appreciated!

Morquendel
February 15th, 2020, 09:23
Great. Thank you :)

Ckorik
February 15th, 2020, 16:57
Thank you - this is amazing in so many ways.

Callum
February 17th, 2020, 09:26
Many thanks!

Blahness98
February 24th, 2020, 16:45
You know, in my mad push to get this beast done, I realized I never put in the prestige classes. Would that be something anyone would be interested in having added to this module? It would mean adding about 120ish more classes to this beast. Or should I put it in a different module?

LordEntrails
February 24th, 2020, 18:21
Ooh, tough call... I think in this one though. If you had broken this out then it would make sense, but I thia case since everything se is I one module, I would keep it all in one.

Thanks again!

Ckorik
February 24th, 2020, 18:23
You know, in my mad push to get this beast done, I realized I never put in the prestige classes. Would that be something anyone would be interested in having added to this module? It would mean adding about 120ish more classes to this beast. Or should I put it in a different module?

I mean - if you are going to do it I'll eat it up - as it is - between this and the ultimate equipment mod the game feels less 'oh I need to enter another thing' and more 'lets play'

Ckorik
March 8th, 2020, 03:31
This throws errors in unity - the issue is the use of & within the license file - the solution is to either remove all the instances of & (there are 8 of them) or replace them with the html for &. (&)

Blahness98
March 15th, 2020, 21:48
Yeah.. could not find the 8th &, only ended up removing 7 of them. Uploaded the Unity compliant file.

Morquendel
March 16th, 2020, 10:28
Thanks.

Kamicosmos
March 24th, 2020, 03:20
Excellent work on this, thank you!

I have a question though. You say it's better to access them via sidebar shields. Which I have discovered, yes, it does take a very long time to do anything with it via the Library. My question is how do I add the Class and Special Ability shields to the sidebar? I'm a n00b to FG, and all I'm finding is people discussing how to code in new ones. I'm hoping it's a bit easier than that?

Edit: Nevermind, found it! (Now to see if I can figure out how to add Bomb Special Ability to the Alchemist....)

Ckorik
March 24th, 2020, 03:49
Excellent work on this, thank you!

I have a question though. You say it's better to access them via sidebar shields. Which I have discovered, yes, it does take a very long time to do anything with it via the Library. My question is how do I add the Class and Special Ability shields to the sidebar? I'm a n00b to FG, and all I'm finding is people discussing how to code in new ones. I'm hoping it's a bit easier than that?

When you click on library - at the top of that 'window' you will see a bunch of items with checkboxes - those items checked - are what show up on your right hand bar - just check the class and special ability boxes to add them to your sidebar.

Relampago
April 4th, 2020, 20:12
Thank you very much!

ChopperDan
April 8th, 2020, 20:41
This is a lot of work. Thank you!

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 18:28
Quick question for OP. When creating a new class, why does base attack have options of slow, medium, and fast as well as fort, ref and will saves have good and bad? Is this in Pathfinder rules somewhere as I cannot find it? Also, is there a specific way to enter class skills and features? How did you find out this info to build these modules as I've been told there is not a manual for individual rulesets...

Trenloe
April 24th, 2020, 18:33
Quick question for OP. When creating a new class, why does base attack have options of slow, medium, and fast as well as fort, ref and will saves have good and bad? Is this in Pathfinder rules somewhere as I cannot find it?
See "Basic Mechanics" here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-classes/

Trenloe
April 24th, 2020, 18:37
Also, is there a specific way to enter class skills and features? How did you find out this info to build these modules as I've been told there is not a manual for individual rulesets...
Basically, do by example. So, look at already existing examples of classes.

The PFRPG Basic Rules OGL module that comes with FG has a lot of examples.

There's also a bunch of more examples in the community OGL modules listed here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules&p=120187&viewfull=1#post120187

The key thing with the "Features" section is to enter each feature at the level that it is achieved and use the same title as a similar feature from an example class. FG looks at the title of the feature to try to do some basic auto allocation of an ability. But mostly it will just add this to the abilities tab of the PC sheet.

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 19:35
See "Basic Mechanics" here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/creating-new-classes/

This does help, but when looking up characters or archetypes, it doesn't say whether they are fast progression or good or bad saves. For instance, this is the class i am trying to add: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith/

Is there a conversion chart I'm unaware of?

FYI, I thought the fast/slow bab field was a FG thing, not a Pathfinder thing. Which if I was doing a paper sheet, it wouldn't be an issue because it lists out the table for bab and saves. The tricky thing is picking which progression for FG when the class itself doesn't say what the bab progression is or if its good or bad saves.

Trenloe
April 24th, 2020, 19:41
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/unchained-rules/fractional-base-bonuses/

From this: BAB = medium, Fort save = good, Reflex save = bad, Will save = bad.

tahl_liadon
April 24th, 2020, 20:00

Quick question for OP. When creating a new class, why does base attack have options of slow, medium, and fast as well as fort, ref and will saves have good and bad? Is this in Pathfinder rules somewhere as I cannot find it? Also, is there a specific way to enter class skills and features? How did you find out this info to build these modules as I've been told there is not a manual for individual rulesets...

[same question in another post that lead me here...]

I am currently wanting to create a new class and can't find any information on how Pathfinder is coded. For instance, what does base attack "fast, medium, or slow" do? what does fort, ref, and will save "good or bad" do? Seems like there is a good deal of documentation missing unless you run 5E. The class creation is just one thing, too. What if I want to create a new race or one that is not listed? Also, I'm sure there are many other things that are coded specifically a certain way for pathfinder. Where can I find documentation for Pathfinder Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds?

hi. i am treading cautiously here and see if i can offer any insight that might help -- considering you have "grand templar" status, i don't want to assume what you do or don't know. if i mention something that you already know and my insight is not useful, i tried. here goes...

what does base attack "fast, medium, or slow" do?
fg cannot answer this for you, or do any kind of automation for you in this regards. it's a question that you would know if you understand pathfinder rules. it just means classes advance at certain speed -- a martial class b.a.b advances much faster than, say, a caster class. it's all relative, thus the relative terms used, "fast, medium, or slow."

what does fort, ref, and will save "good or bad" do?
again, this is based on classes: at each level, the 3-save numbers increase, and depending on the class, it could be "good" or "bad" -- a rogue's ref save would be good as that class advances but bad with fort and will, or a pally's will and fort is good but ref bad, and a ranger's fort/ref good but will bad, etc.

you would need to know these variations and granular details by looking at each class (pathfinder rules here (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/)). some modules that are already created have classes progressions already coded, and fg just pulls data from that, so when you advance a "typical" class, everything will populated because they're already set up in the module. (fg has pathfinder base classes built-in, and there are modules available on the forum with more classes).

when you create a new class, you would have to enter everything in manually at each level, or unless you've created the dataset yourself and make it into a module -- with all the details of class progression for each level -- then load that module up in fg.

these are adjusted per class for game balance. so just use similar type for your new class.

hope that answers your question helps.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34315

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 20:04
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/unchained-rules/fractional-base-bonuses/

From this: BAB = medium, Fort save = good, Reflex save = bad, Will save = bad.

That page is for unchained rules. And if that is supposed to be for the living monolith, I don't see how you came to the conclusion you did when the bab says nothing about medium only d10 or 12, d8, or d6. And the saves don't match the levels.

ie, fort save says +1 at 1st level, but on unchained rules says 1/2 which i would assume be considered 0

FYI, not trying to be difficult here, but this whole process seems to be overly confusing.

Trenloe
April 24th, 2020, 20:18
I don't see how you came to the conclusion you did when the bab says nothing about medium only d10 or 12, d8, or d6. And the saves don't match the levels.
Refer to "Hit Dice" in the page I originally posted:

it Dice: The type of Hit Die used by each class is almost always determined by its base attack bonus progression. Those on the slow progression get a d6, medium gets a d8, and fast gets a d10. There are a few exceptions to this rule (like the barbarian), but making this exception can be a significant boost to the class and should be considered when designing other class elements.

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 20:27
@tahl_liadon I'm not creating a new class for pathfinder, I'm creating an existing class in pathfinder for FG which is the Living Monolith which I posted the link above.

So where does this fit since the saves are between the good and bad you posted?

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 20:44
@Trenloe - okay, i did miss that. I guess if it's anything other than the core classes you just go off the "almost always determined" as a rule. I think this is a failing in the PF rules, wish it were clearer. I guess the separate field for progression in FG is if you are creating a brand new class that doesn't exist in the pfsrd.

@tahl_liadon I looked at all the core classes and they seem to follow the same pattern with saves. It appears the class I was using looking at was a prestige class which seems to follow a different progression for bab and saves than normal classes which appears that it is coded in FG for base, prestige, or NPC. This all makes sense to me now. Thanks guys for clearing this up.

Blahness98
April 24th, 2020, 21:14
Wow.. I missed out on this. I haven't toyed with prestige classes as of yet since I am burned out on classes at the moment. I will head back to them after completing my feat module, however. But, for the saves of Prestige Classes, Good would start off with a +1 while bad starts with a +0.

I can tinker around with it more if you want, but otherwise drop me questions here. I'll make sure to peek in here later.

tahl_liadon
April 24th, 2020, 21:27

So where does this fit...

i'm not sure what you mean by "fit"...

if the class has already been stat'd out -- great! why would it need to "fit" anywhere (here i will define "fit" as "which class is it comparable")?

if you're creating a module for this class (which i don't know the specifics of the how-tos), you've got everything in front of you. just copy the data and put it in the format that would allow fg to interact with, load it up, and fg should do it's thing when you level a pc in that class.

outside of this interpretation of what you're trying to do, i don't know what other insight i can provide. sorry.

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 21:46
Wow.. I missed out on this. I haven't toyed with prestige classes as of yet since I am burned out on classes at the moment. I will head back to them after completing my feat module, however. But, for the saves of Prestige Classes, Good would start off with a +1 while bad starts with a +0.

I can tinker around with it more if you want, but otherwise drop me questions here. I'll make sure to peek in here later.

Hi, I wasn't specifically asking for you to update anything, it was more a question on how the classes are built in FG and figured you would know. I didn't want to necessarily use your module because FGU is already super slow for me and it sounds like this module made FGC even slower. I just wanted to add classes here and there when I got new players when they requested something I didn't already have in FG from the many ruleset books I do have. I did get my questions answered though :D

Copernicus219
April 24th, 2020, 21:47

i'm not sure what you mean by "fit"...

if the class has already been stat'd out -- great! why would it need to "fit" anywhere (here i will define "fit" as "which class is it comparable")?

if you're creating a module for this class (which i don't know the specifics of the how-tos), you've got everything in front of you. just copy the data and put it in the format that would allow fg to interact with, load it up, and fg should do it's thing when you level a pc in that class.

outside of this interpretation of what you're trying to do, i don't know what other insight i can provide. sorry.

See my last post. Your info was helpful and I got it all figured out now, thanks :)

Blahness98
April 24th, 2020, 22:02
I am planning on breaking this thing down into class parts just to reduce the size. But testing the load times in Unity, it is about a 25 second load time on my system, but once it is loaded, there isn't too much lag at all. Just 3-10 seconds when you click on the shields.

MasterFonz
June 3rd, 2020, 21:35
Sorry, but I cant seem to find the attached file (I,m new here...)
Is it still available???
I'm reeeeally interested!!

Blahness98
June 3rd, 2020, 22:03
Should be attached to the first post. I havent had time to break them all apart, however.

MasterFonz
June 3rd, 2020, 22:29
I see the "attached files" text and icon on the first post, but it's not clickable....

ChopperDan
June 3rd, 2020, 22:41
I had the same Issue. At the Very bottom left of the page, there is a drop down. Click it and select FGResponive.
That should fix your problems.

Blahness98
June 4th, 2020, 00:05
You might be within the first few posts. I think there was a limiter put in by Smiteworks to prevent downloads until something like 5 posts.

Trennik
July 22nd, 2020, 16:54
Has anyone gotten this module to work in the Unity client? I keep getting an error in the console, I was wondering if it was a common "Unity in Beta" thing, but I'm hoping maybe there's a workaround and someone's gotten it to work.

Blahness98
July 22nd, 2020, 17:23
What error are you receiving? When I put this module out originally, it was able to be loaded in Unity.

--edit

Tested in the most updated version of Unity in a fresh campaign with no extensions loaded with a new download from the first post and received no errors in the console. Let me know what you are seeing.

Trennik
July 22nd, 2020, 22:51
It occured to me that it may be a versioning issue. I redownloaded the most recent version and tried it again. That seems to have been the case as everything works fine! Sorry for the kerfuffle.

Blahness98
July 22nd, 2020, 23:14
Most likely that is the case. With my very first upload, it was not Unity compliant. I ended up having to go through and remove a bunch of & and replace them with %amp. Glad it is working for you though.

Urheil
September 13th, 2020, 00:34
Has anyone gotten this module to work in the Unity client? I keep getting an error in the console, I was wondering if it was a common "Unity in Beta" thing, but I'm hoping maybe there's a workaround and someone's gotten it to work.

Hi everyone! I made it work on FGU without any troubles.

But, for the paladin and summoner classes i have questions.

Paladin:
- where are the energy type is stored? couldn't find any place.
- when levelling up, i can't see where to choose the favore class option being human. It only show me 1 hit point or 1 skill point.

Summoner:
- can't see favore class option being half-elf
- can't find the evolution points pool

Can you help me please?

Blahness98
September 13th, 2020, 00:43
There are things that FG cannot automate. The evolution points pool is one that needs to be calculated manually.

I did not add any of the favored class options for any of the races. That was beyond the scope of the module and not included. You can always decide this at a later time and close the window.

What do you mean by energy type for the paladin? If you mean the bonus to resistance as a human, you can add that to your character using the proper RESIST: X [energy type] effect and adjust X resistance as you level.

Urheil
September 13th, 2020, 01:37
There are things that FG cannot automate. The evolution points pool is one that needs to be calculated manually.

I did not add any of the favored class options for any of the races. That was beyond the scope of the module and not included. You can always decide this at a later time and close the window.

What do you mean by energy type for the paladin? If you mean the bonus to resistance as a human, you can add that to your character using the proper RESIST: X [energy type] effect and adjust X resistance as you level.

Thanks for your answers!
Y didn't know how to manage all of that since I'm new to FG.

Really, thank you a lot! It clarifies a lot for me!

Seems
September 26th, 2020, 03:06
Is there a way to stack archetypes? I'm trying to recreate one of my players' Staff Magus/Eldritch Scion, but the only way to add both archetypes seems to add levels in each of them. So instead of the character being 11th level, she shows as 22nd level!

Thanks!

Blahness98
September 26th, 2020, 04:00
Unfortunately, as I said in the very first post, with all the possible combinations of archetypes available, creating them all was well beyond the scope of this module. And most likely, my personal sanity.

There is a way though, you just have to do the work manually. What you can do is pull the specific items from both archetype classes from their own specific classes by opening both classes. Then just cherry pick the abilities you need and drag them to the proper ability fields.

Seems
September 26th, 2020, 04:45
No prob - sorry I missed that! Really appreciate having the archetypes as a feature!

bmos
November 22nd, 2020, 11:15
This has some characters that aren't usable in Unity.
Brawler (Strangler) contains abilities "Brawler’s Cunning" and "Brawler’s Strike" but those directional apostrophes are no good in Unity.
Simple fix is to open the db.xml and replace those characters with the correct ones (but this could always cause other issues).

Also thank you for this module, it is marvelous.

Blahness98
December 7th, 2020, 23:23
I haven't checked here in a while, so I will get those changes corrected as soon as this thing loads in Notepad++

swest
December 8th, 2020, 00:43
(Apologies in advance for a lengthy post, but as anyone that follows any of my posts knows, I am simply unable to say things without extensive background and explanations. I hate leaving things to inference.)

Greetings Blahness98,

As I have been trying to figure out how to do some of this kind of thing myself (i.e., merging/creating Class Archetypes), I was quite gratified to find that you had already done it!!! And seeing the quantity of data that you had to process, I regret not having sufficient wits about me to realize you could probably have used some mundane data-entry assistance. If there is still material that you intend to assimilate, and it turns out to be the case that data-entry is needed, just say the word.

But, for now, I just have a question. I'll couch my question, which actually applies generally, to the specific Class Archetypes I'm currently interested in: Brawler (Bouncer), and Alchemist (Mixologist). And, really, I can limit it even further to just Alchemist (Mixologist).

[edit: Part of this has just been answered for me in the context of a DM, but I'll leave it in, in case there is anything to add.]

I'm curious whether the Alchemist (Mixologist) Archetype appears anyplace other than where I encountered it, which was Inner Sea Taverns? If it does originate from some other document, Taverns appears to have the exact same wording. The only reason I ask that question, though, is because you also provided a Table, "Extracting Mixology Table", whose origin I can't figure, but which appears to be related. So... where did that come from?

But, that's not the real question. If you look at the material in Taverns that establishes the Mixology Archetype, you will find the introductory paragraph for the archetype:

Mixologist (Alchemist Archetype): Certain alchemists focus on mastering the chemical reactions between alcohol and the physical body. Though the powerful potions they brew can have drawbacks, they are at least pleasurable.

Next you find 4 special abilities (which I won't reproduce in their entirety, just the names, and the 'what to do with it' portion - capitalization and emphasis added for clarity):

Alcoholic Alchemy (Su): A mixologist ... blah, blahness, blah. This alters Alchemy and Brew Potion and replaces Mutagen.
Alcoholic Bombs (Su): ... This replaces the Discovery gained at 2nd level.
Alcoholic Resistance (Ex): ... This alters Poison Resistance.
Mixologist Master (Su): ... This replaces Persistent Mutagen.

Now, when I look in "PFRPG - Class and Archetype.mod", and compare and contrast Alchemist and Alchemist (Mixologist), I find that on the Main tab, Alchemy is identical between the two, as is Brew Potion, and Poison Resistance. However, the additional alteration wording, e.g., "This alters poison resistance." is included in the new version.

So, this is my first question: What does it mean for an Archetype to state that, "Special Ability So-and-So, alters [original] Special Ability XYZ"?

I was figuring that I would be changing the wording of the 'altered' Special Abilities to align with the New Special Abilities that 'alters' the originals. Not so?

One reason that this is so interesting to me is that, if the originals were actually 'altered', then they would cease to be what they were before, and would require new Names... right?

Ok, so that's it. One question about 'alters'.

Finally, thanks (!!) again for what must have been a [I]massive amount of work!

- s.west

Blahness98
December 8th, 2020, 03:14
I'm curious whether the Alchemist (Mixologist) Archetype appears anyplace other than where I encountered it, which was Inner Sea Taverns? If it does originate from some other document, Taverns appears to have the exact same wording. The only reason I ask that question, though, is because you also provided a Table, "Extracting Mixology Table", whose origin I can't figure, but which appears to be related. So... where did that come from?

That table is not related. That table goes with the Concocter Alchemist archetype from Potions and Poisons.

Now, when I look in "PFRPG - Class and Archetype.mod", and compare and contrast Alchemist and Alchemist (Mixologist), I find that on the Main tab, Alchemy is identical between the two, as is Brew Potion, and Poison Resistance. However, the additional alteration wording, e.g., "This alters poison resistance." is included in the new version.

More than likely, that was me being lazy and not re-writing the ability. I could say that I left the unmodified ability in there as a reference, but, to be honest I was going for quantity and speed to get these done and out. So, in the summaries on the main pages, you will see the big abilities (Alchemy, Brew Potion, et al) mostly unchanged but changed in the abilities that get placed in the ability section of the character sheet while the smaller abilities get completely replaced.

So, this is my first question: What does it mean for an Archetype to state that, "Special Ability So-and-So, alters [original] Special Ability XYZ"?

I'll answer this with an example using Alchemist and the Mixologist archetype. The base Alchemist at level two gains the Poison Resistance (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/Alchemist/#Poison_Resistance_Ex) class feature. At level two, a Mixologist Alchemist gains the Alcoholic Resistance (https://aonprd.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Alchemist%20Mixolo gist) class feature (sorry no direct link). In the case of the Mixologist at level two, he would gain the Poison Resistance class feature, but it would be modified by the Alcoholic Resistance class feature. This means the Mixologist can use his bonus to poison saves vs alcohol (which is a drug in Pathfinder) to become less drunk. The bonus to becoming less drunk increases as he levels, but does not allow him to be completely immune to alcohol. The base alchemist would not be able to use his bonus to poison saves for becoming less drunk.

I was figuring that I would be changing the wording of the 'altered' Special Abilities to align with the New Special Abilities that 'alters' the originals. Not so?

If you wanted to go in and re-write the abilities that are replaced to include the important bits from the abilities being modified and make a drag and drop leveling capable class it would make a better product but it will no longer be what Paizo wrote and could raise other issues. Without specific guidelines from Paizo, I personally would not want to write something that differs from the actual product. That just might get kicked back from Paizo in the verification process. My guess that is the reason the other archetypes are not built to be drag and drop and are just the modified/replaced abilities the player has to adjust on their end from the base class just like what you would do with a pen and paper character sheet.

One reason that this is so interesting to me is that, if the originals were actually 'altered', then they would cease to be what they were before, and would require new Names... right?

That is why the new abilities modify the originals in their own call outs. In Pathfinder, specific rules over rule general ones. The specific archetype rule overwrites the general class rule. The original isn't altered so much as overwritten by the specific rule from the archetype. That is why the original is not renamed.

Hopefully this assists you in your work with creating your module. Once you get the hang of entering stuff in, it gets easier. It also helps if you are entering in large quantities of archetypes to get a mouse where you can bind macros to buttons (kinda like AutoHotKey but for mouse buttons). Any other questions, feel free to toss them my way and I will see what I can do to assist.

swest
December 8th, 2020, 06:31
I wanted to check in here before going to bed, and I find that you have just annihilated my questions!! Well done.

All of that was exactly what I was hoping to have answered. Thank you!

I'll get going again in the morning, and put all that into practice with what I'm working on now (especially your targeted example on the Mixologist.

Ciao!

p.s. And thanks for clarifying the 'Extracting Mixology Table'.

swest
December 9th, 2020, 06:35
I have another question that is tangentially related to the Class/Archetype discussion, and which has come up as I continue to organize my thoughts around it.

Q: What kind of thing is "Poison Resistance (Ex)"?

As I was going through the Alchemist (Mixologist), and sorting through its component pieces, it seemed that one thing to do to add a little value to the module I'm building, would be to add relevant entries to the local Feats and Special Abilities (I really like for a module to be as self-contained as possible.)

So, for instance, Mutagen (Su), Bomb (Su), and Alchemist Discovery (Su) went on the Special Abilities list.

While Brew Potion (Ex), and Throw Anything (Ex), went on the Feats list.

Then I came to Poison Resistance (Ex). I find no categorization for it. It just appears under the Alchemist Class Features. It seems to be referenced in a few other places (in the extended Pathfinder universe), but not in the way that these others are organized.

Can someone illuminate this for me? I've kind of looked at these sorts of things as building blocks, selected from a well-defined pool of a few types of blocks, that get put together to make PCs, NPCs, and Monsters. So I always expect these things to show up on 'a list'.

?

Thanks,

- s.west

bmos
December 9th, 2020, 11:50
I have another question that is tangentially related to the Class/Archetype discussion, and which has come up as I continue to organize my thoughts around it.

Q: What kind of thing is "Poison Resistance (Ex)"?

As I was going through the Alchemist (Mixologist), and sorting through its component pieces, it seemed that one thing to do to add a little value to the module I'm building, would be to add relevant entries to the local Feats and Special Abilities (I really like for a module to be as self-contained as possible.)

So, for instance, Mutagen (Su), Bomb (Su), and Alchemist Discovery (Su) went on the Special Abilities list.

While Brew Potion (Ex), and Throw Anything (Ex), went on the Feats list.

Then I came to Poison Resistance (Ex). I find no categorization for it. It just appears under the Alchemist Class Features. It seems to be referenced in a few other places (in the extended Pathfinder universe), but not in the way that these others are organized.

Can someone illuminate this for me? I've kind of looked at these sorts of things as building blocks, selected from a well-defined pool of a few types of blocks, that get put together to make PCs, NPCs, and Monsters. So I always expect these things to show up on 'a list'.

?

Thanks,

- s.westThat should end up in the class features list in FG.
Also I'd like to mention that you can automate that save bonus using my Malady Tracker extension with Kelrugem's full extension (if the GM is using it for the poisons) :)

swest
December 9th, 2020, 16:15
Yes, but what is it? All the other items under the Class Features are either Feats or Special Abilities. What is Poison Resistance?

I'll get with our group's Alchemist (a Goblin named Snuk), and go over the Malady Tracker.

Thanks.

- s.west

Blahness98
December 9th, 2020, 16:33
Poison Resistance is an extraordinary ability granted to Alchemists. It can be considered a special ability.

Extraordinary abilities are non-magical. They are, however, not something that just anyone can do or even learn to do without extensive training. Effects or areas that suppress or negate magic have no effect on extraordinary abilities.

So in this case, it is something the alchemist has learned in their studies and tinkering with their formulas. More than likely, some of the chemicals and ingredients to those formulas could dangerous or bad for one's health. Since the alchemist is around them so much, they develop a growing immunity to the poisonous nature of the stuff (example from a movie) (https://youtu.be/9s0UURBihH8?t=299). Everything I just typed could be an in character reason why the character could be given the bonus to poison saves. So what the ability is would essentially be up to the player to determine. In game terms, it is just an improving +X bonus the class is granted as they can play with poison.

swest
December 9th, 2020, 17:59
Thanks for that.

I notice that you wrote:

"It can be considered a special ability."

I think that I'm starting to zero in on my problem (and not for the first time, unfortunately):

I see, in the various codified RPGs like Pathfinder, the appearance of rigor... And then I come to expect it.

Another example just popped up in this current quest. I was trying to find the right place (Feat or Special Ability) to put "Swift Poisoning (Ex)". The first thing I found is that, even though it is listed under the Alchemist's Class Features, there is no separately-defined thing called "Swift Poisoning". There's "Swift Poison", and it has the same content. Ok, then what is "Swift Poison"? Is it a Feat or a Special Ability? It's neither. It's a Rogue Talent. What's a Talent? It's something that, apparently, only Rogues and a couple of other classes have.

Anyway, thanks very much for the additional explanations, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

- s.west

p.s. Thanks for the Princess Bride excerpt.

swest
December 9th, 2020, 21:26
Thanks for that.

I see, in the various codified RPGs like Pathfinder, the appearance of rigor... And then I come to expect it.

@Blahness98,

I just looked at this post again, and I wanted to make sure it's not taken the wrong way.

When I talked about the 'appearance of rigor', I was talking about the various RPGs; certainly not your comment that "[Poison Resistance] can be considered a special ability."

I hope I didn't inadvertently offend.

Later,

- s.west

Blahness98
December 9th, 2020, 21:42
I didn't read it that way at all so no worries about any offense that might have been caused.

BruteSquad
December 31st, 2020, 19:29
I would like to say on behalf of my players and myself, Thank you very much for this expansive module. This is just amazing work. Just...wow. THANK YOU!!!

dmfrodol
March 27th, 2021, 18:06
Thank you for this awesome work!

bmos
August 21st, 2021, 17:11
Updated to fix characters that Unity couldn't display such as multiplication symbol, angled apostrophe, angled quotes, em-dash, some weird hyphen.
Also it's smaller due to better compression.

Morquendel
August 22nd, 2021, 21:08
@bmos you have a patreon?

bmos
August 22nd, 2021, 21:51
@bmos you have a patreon?I used to, but it wasn't allowed under SmiteWorks license. Eventually they're adding donations to the Forge if you really want to leave a tip, but I'm just glad my work is appreciated :)

Morquendel
August 23rd, 2021, 09:12
I used to, but it wasn't allowed under SmiteWorks license. Eventually they're adding donations to the Forge if you really want to leave a tip, but I'm just glad my work is appreciated :)

Very much appreciated :)

Right now there seem to be only extensions at the forge. Will modules be added, too?

bmos
August 23rd, 2021, 12:51
Very much appreciated :)

Right now there seem to be only extensions at the forge. Will modules be added, too?I believe they are already allowed. However I haven't uploaded any as I'm not sure whether SRD content is allowed there.

Morquendel
August 23rd, 2021, 21:45
oh... so thatīs the reason.... sad if it wouldnīt

CrowValentine
August 31st, 2021, 17:40
Hello,

I have just recently purchased the ultimate license and I'm trying to install this mod into the module folder. I'm not sure if I'm doing things incorrectly because when I load up my game the module is not visible in the library. Again, I'm unsure if I'm doing something incorrectly or this module has become obsolete since it's been greater than a year since this was posted and updated. I would be thankful for any help you could provide.

Thank you for your time.

bmos
August 31st, 2021, 18:09
Hello,

I have just recently purchased the ultimate license and I'm trying to install this mod into the module folder. I'm not sure if I'm doing things incorrectly because when I load up my game the module is not visible in the library. Again, I'm unsure if I'm doing something incorrectly or this module has become obsolete since it's been greater than a year since this was posted and updated. I would be thankful for any help you could provide.

Thank you for your time.You might want to use my updated version (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50404-Class-and-Archetype-Module&p=616610&viewfull=1#post616610) which I posed on the 21st to avoid text issues. It's still entirely compatible with Pathfinder 1e in FG Classic and Unity.

ChrisRevocateur
August 31st, 2021, 18:10
Hello,

Thank you for your time.

You have to go into settings and load the modules from within the ruleset.

CrowValentine
August 31st, 2021, 18:10
Use my updated version (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50404-Class-and-Archetype-Module&p=616610&viewfull=1#post616610) to avoid text issues. Still entirely compatible.

I did try that, it still however did not show up.

bmos
August 31st, 2021, 18:13
I did try that, it still however did not show up.

To install:
1. Open FG launcher
2. Click folder icon in upper left
3. Open modules subfolder and move the .mod file here
4. Open your campaign from FG launcher (must be done AFTER moving mod file)
5. Open Library in lower right
6. Search for "PFRPG - Class and Archetypes" (there can be multiple pages if you have many modules).
7. Click Load button for that module

CrowValentine
August 31st, 2021, 18:22
To install:
1. Open FG launcher
2. Click folder icon in upper left
3. Open modules subfolder and move the .mod file here
4. Open your campaign from FG launcher (must be done AFTER moving mod file)
5. Open Library in lower right
6. Search for "PFRPG - Class and Archetypes" (there can be multiple pages if you have many modules).
7. Click Load button for that module

I followed your directions and it is still not visible. There were no findings when I searched for the module.

Blahness98
August 31st, 2021, 19:17
Did you restart FG? I know in classic anything added after FG was launched caused issues with modules and extensions not being found. It is possible Unity might have the same behavior. If anything, search for the author of the module or just the word class. Might help eliminate some of the mods you have.

Updated to fix characters that Unity couldn't display such as multiplication symbol, angled apostrophe, angled quotes, em-dash, some weird hyphen.
Also it's smaller due to better compression.

Thanks for cleaning up the module. I just took what I got from the source material and plopped it in so there was bound to be stuff I missed. The compression of the module is something I don't mess with as I am set in my module making ways..

bmos
August 31st, 2021, 23:10
Thanks for cleaning up the module. I just took what I got from the source material and plopped it in so there was bound to be stuff I missed. The compression of the module is something I don't mess with as I am set in my module making ways..It wasn't anything you did wrong, Unity just uses different character encoding which means some punctuation gets mangled/lost.

I followed your directions and it is still not visible. There were no findings when I searched for the module.What is the path to the directory you're putting it in?
It should be (on Windows): C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\modules

If you used to use Fantasy Grounds Classic, you might be putting it in the old Classic modules folder.

CrowValentine
September 1st, 2021, 21:06
It wasn't anything you did wrong, Unity just uses different character encoding which means some punctuation gets mangled/lost.

What is the path to the directory you're putting it in?
It should be (on Windows): C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds\modules

If you used to use Fantasy Grounds Classic, you might be putting it in the old Classic modules folder.

I figured out the problem. User error. I was loading up the wrong campaign. Sorry about that

Thanks for everything.

TheGoldEXP
January 13th, 2022, 13:31
Dont know if I'm doing something wrong, however I've noticed if I pick the base Wizard for example, all spell slots etc are automatically calculated correctly, however if I were to choose Exploiter Wizard for example, I have to manually input the amount of spell slots the character has. Is this an issue going into FGU?

Morquendel
January 14th, 2022, 19:22
Second that, and for Slayer (Cutthroat) thereīs the whole MAIN Tab content missing, only OTHER Tab is filled

Blahness98
January 14th, 2022, 20:36
Dont know if I'm doing something wrong, however I've noticed if I pick the base Wizard for example, all spell slots etc are automatically calculated correctly, however if I were to choose Exploiter Wizard for example, I have to manually input the amount of spell slots the character has. Is this an issue going into FGU?

This is due to automation built into FG. There is a script in the manager_char.lua that specifically calls out CLASS_NAME_WIZARD. This variable is defined in this script as "Wizard". So as the automation looks at the class name, if it sees the specific name of "Wizard", the script will execute and place the pre-programed set of spell slots into the actions tab. Since this class name is "Wizard (Exploiter Wizard)" this does not match anything in the script and therefore does not automatically add the spell slots. If you wanted to the ease of drag and drop for the spell lists, make a copy of the "Wizard (Exploiter Wizard)" class, edit the name of it and remove the " (Exploiter Wizard)" section of it. When you drag and drop that specific class from that point on, it will add the default spell slots. As an aside, this script is also the reason why if you are using the Herolab to FG converter, your spells for any spellcasting class with an archetype will not show up. Once you edit the full archetype class name to the original class, everything will populate properly.

Changing the script to accommodate every single different archetype was well beyond the scope of this module. Add to the fact, I do not want know if this is possible without a crapton of code to change the script to allow it and I do not wish that if-then-else script upon anyone.

I will make a note of the limitation in the first post.

Second that, and for Slayer (Cutthroat) thereīs the whole MAIN Tab content missing, only OTHER Tab is filled

I will get this corrected and updated.

TheGoldEXP
January 14th, 2022, 22:17
This is due to automation built into FG. There is a script in the manager_char.lua that specifically calls out CLASS_NAME_WIZARD. This variable is defined in this script as "Wizard". So as the automation looks at the class name, if it sees the specific name of "Wizard", the script will execute and place the pre-programed set of spell slots into the actions tab. Since this class name is "Wizard (Exploiter Wizard)" this does not match anything in the script and therefore does not automatically add the spell slots. If you wanted to the ease of drag and drop for the spell lists, make a copy of the "Wizard (Exploiter Wizard)" class, edit the name of it and remove the " (Exploiter Wizard)" section of it. When you drag and drop that specific class from that point on, it will add the default spell slots. As an aside, this script is also the reason why if you are using the Herolab to FG converter, your spells for any spellcasting class with an archetype will not show up. Once you edit the full archetype class name to the original class, everything will populate properly.

Changing the script to accommodate every single different archetype was well beyond the scope of this module. Add to the fact, I do not want know if this is possible without a crapton of code to change the script to allow it and I do not wish that if-then-else script upon anyone.

I will make a note of the limitation in the first post.

I will get this corrected and updated.

No worries, however is everything else still calculated correctly? (Saves, BAB etc.)

Blahness98
January 14th, 2022, 22:23
No worries, however is everything else still calculated correctly? (Saves, BAB etc.)

Yes. Those values are handled by different code and will apply properly.

dllewell
June 23rd, 2022, 11:26
I found a very minor text error.

Alchemist Discovery - Stink bomb

Text reads

"The effects of the smoke created by an alchemist's bomb can duplicate the effects of fog cloud"

It should read

"The effects of the smoke created by an alchemist’s bomb can duplicate the effects of stinking cloud instead of fog cloud"

Morenu
October 2nd, 2022, 16:55
Any chance this could get put up on Forge? This is one of the Only non forge Ext/Mods I use and I would love to just depend on forge if I want to clear my ext/mod/vault folders.

Morenu
October 2nd, 2022, 17:12
Ignore - User error

Blahness98
October 2nd, 2022, 17:50
Also, the module does not seem to be loading any longer for me. Can anyone verify that this should still load in current Fantasy Grounds version?

I will look into this, but it appears to load fine for me.

Any chance this could get put up on Forge? This is one of the Only non forge Ext/Mods I use and I would love to just depend on forge if I want to clear my ext/mod/vault folders.

Yes, that has been on my todo list for a while now. I had submitted it to the Forge at one point, but completely forgot about it as I have been busy. Found out I forgot to add the community use statement to my description. Hopefully they will approve it and I will update the first post once it does.

Morenu
October 2nd, 2022, 18:13
Thanks! And it seems I have two old fantasy ground folders and one of my links was pointing at it, so I was placing it in the wrong spot. As I said user error

Blahness98
October 3rd, 2022, 22:56
Forge link added to first post.