PDA

View Full Version : Extremely New. Looking for FG 5E tutorial session

Lighttreader
August 8th, 2019, 07:40
Hello. I am a new subscription holder here and am trying to learn from scratch. My interests are 5th Edition Adventure League play and I would love to experience playing The Lost Mines of Phandelver before attempting to gm it for my family. I have several AL characters that I want to re-create and advance through Fantasy Grounds so I may rejoin my local group, in a few weeks, without being too far behind.
I would greatly appreciate a basic tutorial from a one on one adventure in order to learn to navigate FG from the ground up. I live in the Eastern Standard Time Zone, but can be available at most times due to being at home recovering from hip surgery. Thank you in advance. I will check this post 2-3 times daily.

Talen
August 8th, 2019, 11:54
Fantasygroundscollege.net would help you out. They offer the types of classes you are looking for with hands on walk through ( might not be one on one, but close )

dannywonderful
August 8th, 2019, 16:17
I'd echo Talent and say sign up at https://fantasygroundscollege.net/ then check their Events tab for a class that suits your time zone. Check out their Discord too. https://discord.gg/Ew6nYyw

Lighttreader
August 8th, 2019, 19:14
Thank you both. I looked through there before and will visit the site again. I am immersed in video tutorials now, but the one on one experience would no doubt be much easier. I still need to learn about Discord. I was unaware FG was not an audio based chat room for game play.

Lighttreader
August 11th, 2019, 06:29
Thanks Talen and Danny. I went back to FGC and had an amazing experience. I realized they had greeted me the first time in but I had missed the post. I viewed the links they had sent and followed the directions and was actually able to get into a class the same day. Founder Laerun was exceptionally helpful and spent about 4 hours with a group of us.

Fantasy Grounds is lucky to have a group like Fantasy Grounds College helping new users because I was about to get my refund and walk away because of the lack of support I have experienced here. It's like you walk into a new place and find you are all alone. No one to greet you or to help you unless you learn how to find the right people. I see no game schedule to sign up for or tutorial classes, or even the one on one session described in the purchase menu. Fantasy Grounds, you have a long way to go in the way of customer service. You need to take a lesson from those over at Fantasy Grounds College, or better yet, merge them into your company so they can help you cause you need it.

Willot
August 11th, 2019, 07:39
Hehe FGC pretty much IS Smiteworks (FG) (figuratively speaking). I think 90% of the people giving the classes; are on here. The forums now have pretty much evolved into something the more experienced people may use. But you WILL eventually get an answer to any question here. It's just the nature of forums that it can take awhile.
Although you could argue the case that FGC came about because someone felt there needed to be a dedicated place for new people to get more direct help.

I am glad you stuck with it; FG is very powerful once you get the swing of it.

Lighttreader
August 12th, 2019, 01:40
I am glad as well. The people I have met so far alone have made it worth sticking around. I know the platform has a lot to offer once I learn to navigate it so now that I feel I have help I am super excited.