PDA

View Full Version : Eberron for Savage Worlds

Talyn
August 6th, 2019, 21:31
Eberron for Savage Worlds

With the explicit permission and guidance of the original author, Kristian Serrano, I present the Fantasy Grounds adaptation of Eberron for Savage Worlds (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yUtDXBs-6I-xrsdnv10JWYqGpyXwhuYp6BQyuYf3NY4/edit#heading=h.d82bopvkx6at) under the Savage Worlds Fan Content Policy (https://www.peginc.com/licensing/), and in compliance with the Wizards of the Coast Fan Content Policy (https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy). (In fact, the project was also submitted to WotC and given the thumbs up!)

I intentionally designed the reference manual to mimic the SWADE Player's Guide reference manual, even though it does not exactly comply with the usual practices we're supposed to use.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29272&stc=1&d=1570121494

Extension

Adds support for the following Arcane Backgrounds: Aberrant Dragonmark, Artifice, Dragonmark, Druidism
Adds desktop decal using the Unofficial Eberron Logo (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/267657/Unofficial-Eberron-Logo) by Alex Denby
Changes several string values related to bennies to refer to prophecy shards
Changes "GM" identity to "Prophesier"

Module

Contains the full Eberron for Savage Worlds in a single product. I didn't feel like breaking it up into separate Player and GM modules. Other products such as the Players Handbook for 5E and the Core Rulebooks for both editions of Pathfinder do this as well.
In Special Substances & Items I renamed "Acid" to "Acid Flask" as that was the specific example given.

SWEL Source Markdown

In the spirit of community development and the fan content policies, I am also providing the SWEL markdown used to create this project. Of course you will need to have the Savage Worlds Enhanced Library (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19202-Savage-Worlds-Enhancement-Extensions&p=152731&viewfull=1#post152731) extension loaded to use it, but since there is precious little SWEL markdown to learn from, this is a master class on how to use SWEL. Most of the advanced features and tricks are utilized in this project.

Required DLC

Eberron for Savage Worlds is written for the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE) ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PEGFGSWADE), and all the Edges, Hindrances, Powers, Skills, etc. are linked from the SWADE DLC so that is required to use this.

Optional DLC

Eberron for Savage Worlds also uses the Sorcery arcane background from the Fantasy Companion and the ritual magic stuff from the Horror Companion. Those are not duplicated here as they are from commercial published products. To use those features you'll need to either own those DLC or enter the data yourself. Additionally, edges, powers, etc. from several other DLC are linked as well, per the Eberron for Savage Worlds document. You don't need to own them in order to play; the links just provide easy access if you do.

To Do

Prophecy Shards. Right now, the extension does nothing but tweak some text strings regarding prophecy shards. The actual rules Kristian came up with use three different types of prophecy shards. For now, my suggestion is that if you own Deadlands Reloaded, use the DLR extension along with this so that you can play with the three colors of fate chips. Or you can just manually adjudicate which type of prophecy shard (benny) you're using at any given time if you either do not own DLR or choose to not use the extension with Eberron for Savage Worlds. Coding this from scratch is beyond my ability right now, and as my typical bad luck would have it, all the usual gang of Lua scripters are either vacationing or on break from Fantasy Grounds and unable to provide assistance. If I receive permission to split off the appropriate bits of the DLR extension, I can do that in a future update.

Theme. I had an initial theme for this but everyone on Discord (including myself) hated it so that's gone for now. Along with a desktop theme, I would eventually like to get custom dragonshard "bennies" to use as the prophecy shards too.

GunbunnyFuFu
August 6th, 2019, 21:39
Thanks for this, Talyn!!

GBFF

Talen
August 6th, 2019, 21:49
Wow Talyn - Very nice

Amaril
August 8th, 2019, 13:19
I don't currently use Fantasy Grounds, but I'd love to see screenshots if possible.

Valyar
August 9th, 2019, 06:57
This is amazing. I like it very much.

amerigoV
August 10th, 2019, 02:35
Awesome. I was putting some of this in myself just to better learn FG - this really great! I have Wayfinders guide too, so between them I can run a good at a game on FG.

Just happened to randomly notice the Warforged have Outsider (Major). I think that would be Minor since they do have rights.

Talyn
August 10th, 2019, 02:49
I am at work for a few more days but next week I will get the magic items in and post a screenshot. Hopefully I can have the magic items in their own entry. I know I can with manual XML like I usually do but this was supposed to be a 100% SWEL project. I have a theory I'll test when I'm home.

Amaril
August 10th, 2019, 17:19
Just happened to randomly notice the Warforged have Outsider (Major). I think that would be Minor since they do have rights.

Legally, yes, but their actual protections, experiences, and statuses vary depending on where they are. A good analogy would be "separate but equal", but actually far from equal in practice.

In general, their life experiences are far worse than just a -2 to Persuasion rolls.

Talyn
August 12th, 2019, 18:34
Just uploaded RC2 which adds in the Magic Items. This will probably be the final version as well unless there are any additional tweaks that are possible (effects on items?). Just a matter of beefing up the extension as I learn more Lua.

I also added a screenshot that shows most of the UI elements.

Edit: Just uploaded another one that fixed two ability links on an NPC. NPC Maker grabbed the one in memory that I'd build in the UI instead of the one from the module.

amerigoV
August 15th, 2019, 00:15
I have to say your Mod + Wayfinder Guide + UniversalModule.ext + the Gray background (to go with the Eberron background) = awesomesauce!!

Amaril
August 15th, 2019, 14:47
Posted about it on my blog which feeds out to the Savage Bloggers Network feed.
https://blog.immaterialplane.com/2019/08/now-on-fantasy-grounds-eberron-for.html

Hlynrian
August 17th, 2019, 18:18
I say smashing!

StoryWeaver
August 18th, 2019, 02:53
Fantastic work!

tormenteddave
August 27th, 2019, 15:20
This is awesome!

Amaril
October 3rd, 2019, 00:56
Finally got around to making a cover for it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19681NThBaiq7uGS9kk0AiIyh7DCbNOFd/view?usp=sharing

Talyn
October 3rd, 2019, 17:55
Module

Uploaded new .mod with the cover art provided by Kristian above, and a new thumbnail utilizing the cover art. To accommodate the new cover, I rearranged the first two pages of the reference manual. Now the cover page is just that, and provides an imagelink to pop out a larger version. I shifted the contents of the original 'cover' page to the credits page, so that now looks much nicer.
Updated screenshot on first post to show the cover art.
SWEL source also updated to reflect these changes.

Amaril
November 15th, 2019, 01:46
I just wanted to let you know that I've added a changelog at the end of the document. This should make it easier to keep track of changes going forward.

Talyn
April 11th, 2020, 14:13
Just uploaded a new version of Eberron for Savage Worlds -- see the first post in this thread for the links. Both the extension and the module are new.

This brings the product up to the March 18, 2020 version seen on Kristian's Google Doc.

Additionally, the SWEL source file now has a readme.txt with step-by-step instructions for how to create this module.

Panzermeyer
April 16th, 2020, 17:58
Thanks for potting this together.

So for my own education does the SWEL markdown allow one to modify and edit the ext and module? I am pretty new to Fantasy Grounds and trying to sort through how everything works.

Talyn
April 16th, 2020, 18:04
The SWEL markdown is more as an example of how to use it to build content (modules, not extensions) since there are precious few examples out there to learn from, but yes, you could absolutely tweak the markdown to create your own customized version.

Panzermeyer
April 16th, 2020, 18:05
So the extension adds functionality for arcane backgrounds the logo and a few things like that correct? Is there any good resources for how to make that kind of stuff?

Talyn
April 18th, 2020, 16:10
New Version

[Added] Symbionts to Bestiary
[Added] 'Grafts and Symbionts' refpage
[Changed] Split all the sections in the 'Magic Items' chapter into their own refpages

Only the .mod is new, the .ext is the same as last update. New SWEL source also included.

Note for SWEL users: This was done before 50 Fathoms had a SWADE version. Unfortunately, the SWADE version is "incorrect" in the sense that it's supposed to exactly match the previous stuff to avoid incompatibilities with other DLC. So if you're importing this SWEL source, you'll need to load the SWD edition of the 50 Fathoms Player Guide. Hopefully @Doswelk will tweak the SWADE version so it won't matter. :)

Talyn
April 18th, 2020, 19:24
UPDATE

[Added] Refpage about Magebred Animals
[Added] Magebred Horse to bestiary
[Added] Links to the two Edges from Artificer's Codex, which I did an FG adaptation of this morning for Kristian and will be included in the package from Savage Worlds Adventurers Guild (SWAG)

Stryfe484
September 11th, 2020, 02:36
Has anyone tackled prophecy shards yet? If not, how has the deadlands extension worked out for you?

Mgrancey
September 11th, 2020, 03:18
What needs done with the Prophecy shards? Multiple types? If playing SWADE no longer used, or did you mean something else?

Stryfe484
September 11th, 2020, 03:48
What needs done with the Prophecy shards? Multiple types? If playing SWADE no longer used, or did you mean something else?

If you look at the reference document, the multiple types were kept in for the flavor of the setting. It's something that I really enjoy about it. I'm asking those that run their games with them how they do it. Do they use the deadlands reloaded extension or have they made an extension?

amerigoV
September 11th, 2020, 13:41
I tried the Deadlands extension but that did not really work (the Bennies from the colors did not seem to even have the basic bennie functionality).

Ultimately, I just dropped them and they have not been missed by the players or me as the GM. The players would not use a Khyber shard to add a d6 anyway (its like they did not trust their GM with another bennie for some reason). So the whole thing was kinda moot (if you have Heroes Never Die and Wound Cap, its going to be really rare when a player is motivated to use the shard in this way). Even the new Deadlands dropped this bennie structure.

Stryfe484
September 11th, 2020, 14:08
I tried the Deadlands extension but that did not really work (the Bennies from the colors did not seem to even have the basic bennie functionality).

Ultimately, I just dropped them and they have not been missed by the players or me as the GM. The players would not use a Khyber shard to add a d6 anyway (its like they did not trust their GM with another bennie for some reason). So the whole thing was kinda moot (if you have Heroes Never Die and Wound Cap, its going to be really rare when a player is motivated to use the shard in this way). Even the new Deadlands dropped this bennie structure.

I understand the argument against using them in this way. Thank you for your input. I would very much like to hear how those that DO use them in this way make it happen in FG. The only idea I had was just to give out bennies and I would draw them at home. I would tell them the colors and they would keep track. I would much rather have a functional extension, but I'm willing to improvise, if needed.

amerigoV
September 11th, 2020, 18:12
I understand the argument against using them in this way. Thank you for your input. I would very much like to hear how those that DO use them in this way make it happen in FG. The only idea I had was just to give out bennies and I would draw them at home. I would tell them the colors and they would keep track. I would much rather have a functional extension, but I'm willing to improvise, if needed.
I don't have access to FG right now - but you might look and see if the Deadlands also had the regular bennie slot. It might work that the red/blue are just placeholder.

Stryfe484
September 11th, 2020, 18:28
I don't have access to FG right now - but you might look and see if the Deadlands also had the regular bennie slot. It might work that the red/blue are just placeholder.

I may just give that a shot to see how it works out if I get no other replies. Thanks!

macDsinfo
September 12th, 2020, 16:55
checking in - very cool stuff.

macDsinfo
February 19th, 2021, 12:11
-fixed-

Art Wendorf
April 16th, 2021, 03:39
--Nevermind, I see my mistake! --

Art Wendorf
May 1st, 2021, 11:38
Two small errors that jumped up. In many places, the "-" is replaced with a block/missing font.
Noticed also an error in the Druidism.

Still: quite excellent!

hawkwind
September 18th, 2021, 07:57
UPDATE

[Added] Links to the two Edges from Artificer's Codex, which I did an FG adaptation of this morning for Kristian and will be included in the package from Savage Worlds Adventurers Guild (SWAG)
[/list]

Did this ever get released or is there an issue with releasing FG modules on SWAG?

Talyn
September 18th, 2021, 14:04
Doug did confirm awhile back that even though I did the adaptation, whomever posts the DLC -- Kristian in this case -- also has to be licensed as a DLC Developer on any of the OBS sites except for DMs Guild which has a special provision. That's a shame, and I haven't asked Kristian if he ever got around to doing that.

hawkwind
September 18th, 2021, 16:23
That's a shame as there are a quite good things on SWAG and the other community programs like for Call of Cthulhu.

You should get your self registered you could be "Rob2e" of Savage Worlds.

Talyn
September 18th, 2021, 17:01
I am one of the licensed/contracted/whatever DLC Developers :) but -- purely in my opinion -- this policy that only gives DMs Guild 'special privileges' really cuts down on getting community content available (in a non-Forge platform anyway). Forge is great and all, but far as I'm aware, it cannot host DLC that uses any of the Product IP which the various Content Creator sites on OBS do allow.

macDsinfo
October 23rd, 2021, 02:31
has anybody messed with this and pathfinder for savage worlds. is there anyway I might help the process..?

I am one of the licensed/contracted/whatever DLC Developers :) but -- purely in my opinion -- this policy that only gives DMs Guild 'special privileges' really cuts down on getting community content available (in a non-Forge platform anyway). Forge is great and all, but far as I'm aware, it cannot host DLC that uses any of the Product IP which the various Content Creator sites on OBS do allow.

amerigoV
June 16th, 2023, 16:21
Any chance this gets updated for the updated Fantasy Companion/Eberron for Savage Worlds release?

Talyn
June 19th, 2023, 16:01
Yes! @mgrancey has completed the additional stuff with the Fantasy Companion, etc. and I will be transferring ownership of this thread to him so he can handle his uploads and all that good stuff.

EDIT: We discovered the moderators do not have the option to change thread ownership, so @mgrancey has created a new thread here with the updated version (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?78216), and this thread will be closed. Thank you to everyone who enjoyed my initial version(s) and hope you enjoy what @mgrancey is doing to keep things up to date! :)