PDA

View Full Version : DM seeks players for new weekly game D&D5e

FeatheredDrachyn
August 6th, 2019, 18:32
Greetings,

My name is Rindy, and I am looking for players interested in meeting once a week for around 3-4 hour sessions of D & D 5e.

The first session may run long for character building, and working out any technical issues. I have been playing and running games since I was 11, which is around 30 years. This, however, will be my first attempt to run a game online. I would like to think that I am amazing enough to do everything perfectly the first time, but there may be a learning curve. I have purchased an Ultimate License, so that my players will not need to pay a monthly fee unless they choose to do so.

My GM "resume" includes every version of D&D since the red box set (including, unfortunately, the blasphemy that was 4th edition), World of Darkness (primarily 2nd Edition Werewolf and Vampire), Serenity: The Roleplaying Game (based on the Firefly series), Star Wars, Call of Cthulhu, Pathfinder, Eldritch, GURPS, Dangerous Journeys, The Wheel of Time RPG, and even a World of Warcraft RPG that most people never even knew existed. I have been involved in medieval and Renaissance reenactment and LARPing. I play WOW, casually. My longest running tabletop game met twice a week for over five years.

This campaign will be a return to my first love, Dungeons & Dragons, in her most recent incarnation, 5e.

For this campaign, Classes, Races, Backgrounds, etc. are restricted to those in the 5e Players Handbook. This is not because I have anything against monstrous PCs or home brewed spells, but because I don't own any digital supplemental materials at this point and I want us to be able to use all the amazing automation features that Fantasy Ground offers. Characters will start at level 1, in a small mining town at the base of a mountain range.

I am looking for players over 18 who will enjoy an ongoing campaign set in a high fantasy world. Over 18 is not because of any questionable content. I just prefer to run separate games for younger players. I am fairly laid back as GMs go, but I do have a few expectations that I expect my players to meet to keep things running smoothly.

HOUSE RULES AND PERSONAL CONDUCT

I intend to enforce the same "house rules" online that I use in my home.

No showboating, rules lawyering, hogging the table, or general rudeness. Cuss all you like, but don't be aggressive to another player, or to me.

The point of the game is to weave a story and HAVE fun.

I reserve the right to adapt or even toss out any published "rules" that get in the way of the story. I also have about six and a half versions of this game in my memory banks so at times, I may accidentally use a mechanic from an older version.

No meta gaming. Keep player knowledge and character knowledge separate. If you have any questions about this, ask me.

Breaking any of the above rules will result in instant karmic retribution. Basically it comes down to this... Don't be a Giant **** and ruin other people's fun, or I will drop a flaming wereporcu-poodle on your character's head.

On real life issues that occasionally arise...

I do ask that if you commit to a session, and find out you can't make it, that you give me as much advance notice as you can. I understand that life comes first, but this is a group game. It will be easier for me to figure out where your character is (off-screen) during the session and scale down encounters ahead of time. So Please, Please, Please, give me a heads up if you are not going to be there, or if you decide you are no longer interested in playing. I won't ask why, and I won't give you a moment of grief over it.

During big combats, try to be ready when its your turn. If you need a - bathroom/snack/your kid is hanging upside down from the ceiling fan and you have to retrieve him - break during the game session, that is fine. I tend to break after combats, and at natural "chapter" breaks in the story but we can always take a moment to breathe.

If any unforeseen challenges arise, technical issues, or otherwise, please be patient and let's all work together to sort them out quickly and efficiently. So we can get back to having fun.

As my crystal ball is in the shop today for a tune up, I reserve the right to add to this list later if game-specific or online-specific issues arise that I cannot foresee.

Summary of Game Info

FG License: GM has an ultimate license, so if I understand this correctly, players should only need the free demo version
Game System: D&D 5e

Time Zone: EST United States
Day of week and time: Day will be chosen based on player schedules, I can game any day of the week. I tend to be a night owl, so I prefer to prefer a 3-4 hour block in the evening.
If new game, planned start date: I am prepared to start immediately.
Planned Duration & Frequency: 3-4 hour sessions (with option to continue if everyone agrees), weekly
Term: On Going

Text or Voice: Both
Voice software used: Discord, hopefully
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? I will NOT be recording or streaming sessions.

Roleplay & Combat mix: I encourage roleplay and offer an extra XP bonus for exemplary RP at each session. This can be awarded to multiple players but is usually reserved for whomever played their character concept most effectively in that session. Part of effective RP is contributing to the cohesiveness and enjoyment of the group as a whole, and the extra XP award takes this into account. That having been said... I will build my campaign around the style of play that my players enjoy. If ya'll end up wanting diplomacy and intrigue, puzzles, battlefield strategies, or just plain old hack n slash, then that's the direction I'll go. If everyone finds they enjoy different things, we will move between elements.

Number of Players in game & needed: I need at least 2, no more than 5

Character starting level & equipment: Level 1, standard starting packages, feel free to ask me if you have any ideas for your character that are not covered under the basic rules.

Character restrictions: 5e Players Handbook standard races and classes. No evil alignments.

Details of your scenario: This world will feel familiar to anyone who has adventured in Greyhawk or Faerun, with the following differences. Planar travel and interplanar portals are more common in this world than in the standard Realms. Creatures from the far planes often get trapped when the portal that brought them here closes, and can even be found in public menageries (zoos) in the largest cities. The wealthy often book beach vacations to the Elemental plane of Water, plan hunting safaris in the Beastlands, or visit rejuvenation spas on the outskirts of Elysium. The magic of the world has been tamed in civilized lands. The Mage guilds investigate any reports or surges of Wild Magic close to the ruling cities, but farther out in the wilderness, magic becomes increasingly unpredictable (and some say more powerful).

You and your companions are local monster hunters of some renown, and, once again, it is time for you to earn those free mugs of ale people always buy you at the local tavern. Kobolds and bandits have been harassing miners bringing ore into town to sell. Unseasonably cold weather threatens crops, and strange creatures have been sighted in the foothills. Hunt down the kobolds, find the bandit stronghold, discover the source of the strange weather, and save your town. Easy, right? If you can navigate dwarven clan politics, solve a murder, and avoid sneaky snake oils salesman, Chaos bards, and cursed relics along the way.

If you are interested in joining this game and/or have additional questions, message me on here or facebook messenger, send an email, homing pigeon, raven...
Let's do this thing!

Email: [email protected] or
[email protected]

Facebook Messenger: This is usually the fastest way to get in touch with me. You can friend me if you wish, but be forewarned. I have weird friends that post weird stuff. I am not responsible for their insanity or their politics. And you will see many, many shark posts. Rindy Tietjen, Ridgeway SC

Link to Gamecalendar page: Not sure how to use this feature yet. Will update this if (when) I figure it out.

Fatherdeath
August 6th, 2019, 18:59
im interested but cant do Tuesday or Fridays.

Percias
August 6th, 2019, 19:29
Im interested

FeatheredDrachyn
August 6th, 2019, 20:27
What days/times are you available. So far, it looks like things are narrowing down to Monday, Wednesday or Thursday after 5:30. Would any of these days work for you?

FeatheredDrachyn
August 6th, 2019, 20:29
So far, that narrows it down to Monday, Wednesday or Thursday, after 5:30 PM. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple more people to narrow it down. Any idea what class you are interested in playing?

Percias
August 6th, 2019, 20:46
I prefer ranger or paladin but im open to any

rgk13
August 6th, 2019, 21:54
Hi, I'M very interested. I only have a game schedualed every second Sunday at 7 PM. So I'M flexible and can play pretty much anything if it works well with the group. Let me know.

Fatherdeath
August 6th, 2019, 22:30
Ranger here

OldJarhead
August 6th, 2019, 23:02
Sent you an e-mail!

FeatheredDrachyn
August 7th, 2019, 01:27
Update!!

Game day/time set for Wedesdays at 6:30 PM EST U.S.A.
Weekly

Still have a spot or two open and we have No spellslingers so far!

Private Message me on here or email me at [email protected]

FeatheredDrachyn
August 7th, 2019, 03:29
At this time, we are full, but if someone drops out, but I will open this back up if someone fails to confirm or changes their mind. I also discovered the amazingness that is the campaign calendar although I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet. So I will be using that too in the future.

tommyboy68w
August 7th, 2019, 08:50
Hello, I am a long time player and GM and I am interested in playing with your group

I am new to 5e and FG but I understand the basics and have played many a RP game before.

I am interested in playing a fighter/paladin

Please let me know if you have room for me.

lagomorph129
August 7th, 2019, 15:23
I want in on this! Wednesday happens to be my open-schedule day! :D

note to self: 18:30 US_EST = 17:30 US_CST

email en route

EDIT: fml, new to this forum (had acct a while but never really used it) didnt realize this was a different page

Cdough562
August 7th, 2019, 19:25
Monk or Pally...or any class needed here interested in playing. I have tuesday, wednesday, and thursdays open. I have been using FG to play with my friends for a few years. Hope you consider me. Thank you