PDA

View Full Version : Are Flanking and sneak attack in FG P2?

Larsenex
August 5th, 2019, 12:40
Greetings.

Last night my friend and I were 'learn by doing' and playing out a combat.

A couple things. My friends characters > even though he had targeted the npc orcs when he rolled the dice did not target the npcs nor the damage. Mine did when I ran the npc or the henchman with him.

My dice were hidden but I found where to fix that.

When I moved past the mob with the chance to execute an attack of opportunity nothing flagged for him. Normal?

When the rogue was correctly positioned for flanking I did not get a flanking bonus (i manually added it) nor was there a way for me to add sneak attack to the roll. If its there can someone explain how?

Spell effects and damage like Divine lance are not showing at all. We figured out how to target the spell but could not get it to do dmg > cleric cantrip Divine Lance.

All i can think of for now. Happy Monday.

damned
August 5th, 2019, 14:10
There is a little target checkbox top left hand corner of the modifier box.
If you untick this your roll wont use targeting.

FG wont determine when flanking or AoO should occur. That is for the players and GM to decide.

Larsenex
August 5th, 2019, 14:52
Ok good to know. Does the 'uncheck' box you are mentioning refer to the GMs encounter box or the players or both?

If i want to add sneak attack dmg, how would i roll it to get the player to add it to her target?

ShadeRaven
August 5th, 2019, 15:49
The easiest way, imo, is to set up a Powers (spell) section for PC actions like that. Here's what Sneak Attack might look like:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28270

Add a cantrip (so it's always usable), and then when the player has a sneak attack opportunity, they can click on the little person icon and it'll give them a one shot use of Sneak Attack damage to that character (this is why it's set to self and on next action).

It is important to note that the effect needs to be applied BEFORE the damage is rolled or it'll have to be added after. This helps with things like resistances, etc.

Larsenex
August 5th, 2019, 16:47
You sir are doing the Good Gamers work.

Thank you!

Larsenex
August 6th, 2019, 04:38
There is a little target checkbox top left hand corner of the modifier box.
If you untick this your roll wont use targeting.

FG wont determine when flanking or AoO should occur. That is for the players and GM to decide.

Thank you but I cannot find this little box in the modifiers box you are talking about. Where is it in FG?

Larsenex
August 6th, 2019, 04:40
I must be on another game. My spell list looks nothing like yours Shade. I can make a cantrip but I can't get it to show itself as a power. When I open spells section its pretty limited.

Herb
August 6th, 2019, 07:55
Hi Larsenex

This is creating an effect that is applied to a PC - it's a power - nothing to do with spells, although it is located in the same area that spells are - hence the window title "SPELL/ABILITY EFFECT" - in this case you're creating a new ability effect.
Check Zacchaeus's work on effects for more detailed info about how they work. Not sure how much tutorial material there is for PF, but he's done a lot in 5E and I think the scripting concepts are common across the rulesets - if not the same, it should point you in the right direction.

ShadeRaven
August 6th, 2019, 08:26
I'm going to show you a couple of example of what I do for now.. there are many ways to go about this, but here's how I've handled it on character sheets and creature entries. Let me know if you want to know how I do any of this to ensure you're getting the results you want out of it.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28307

Larsenex
August 6th, 2019, 12:10
Shade,

Is this example you are showing is this using the PF2 rule set? If so can you point me on what tab to get started? There is a lot under the hood with FG and I am just learning how to unlock it.

Another example is my modifiers tab/window does not have this check box referred to also in this thread.

Shade, in this example with the Powers sneak attack. You see that little person icon to the right of box containing the words 'Sneak attack' > I have no boxes that have it. It does appear in the combat tracker and I cant seem to build the power there. Perhaps I am looking to do this in the wrong place?

ShadeRaven
August 6th, 2019, 13:03
Yep. PF2 ruleset.

If you look at Heinrick, you can see the tabs on the right side. He's currently in the Actions Tab. There are two ways to get a new section set up for the powers you might want to add. If you right click in the open space there's the option to Add Spell Class at the 6 o'clock position on the radial dial that pops up. Or, at the bottom of the sheet, on the right side, there's a little circled slash that you can click. It will show three options to the left of it after clicking it: one for Add Weapon, one for Add Spell Class, and one for Add Focus Spell Class. Choosing Add Spell Class either way will create the new box you can then edit for powers.

From there, you can see I put in a couple of new spells in the Level 0 box (next to Tradition, below Spell Roll and DC). This allows powers to be added in a Level 0 section.

After that, simple go to where it says Level 0 and right click there, or if you still have that circle slashed ticked, there will be a nice bright green circled + symbol that you can click to add new "spells".

Once you have a new, blank "spell" created, you can then go to the red box on the right to put in the details of the "spell" (in this case, I showed you what Rage held).

Finally, you can right click on your new power (spell) to create the Spell Actions, or in the case you see above, the Effects I added to Call on Ancient Blood and Rage. This will give you some options with Add Spell Action being the most important (though delete spell and add spell can both be useful). Add Spell Action will give you four new options. The first is a sword symbol that lets you put in things like Saving Throws and Attack bonuses. Saving throws are extremely useful here for power as many do force foes to save against one of the 3 base saving throw options. Damage is next (blood drop) to get a damage box you can then open and edit what damage dice, bonuses, etc., you want for a power (or spell). The plus symbol similarly lets you add healing powers. Finally, there's the little person to Add Effects as seen above. This is where I put in the DMG and SAVE features of the two powers, setting both to self (because they only target the PC itself) with one being a 1 minute duration and the other being on next action only.

I cannot stress enough how much just trial and error will help with learning how to use all the tools available, but I hope this sets you on the right path, and as I said before, there will always be people around here on the forums to try to help. I certainly hope that my efforts here set you on the right path and if there's any more clarification needed, don't hesitate to ask.

EDIT: Oh, couple more things to help. First, once you have things set up, you want to make sure they appear in both standard and combat DISPLAY mode (at the bottom). There two ways there as well. Setting the Abilities and Features to Spontaneous spell caster (the circled star symbol next to the "Title") is one way, or you can set MODE to Preparation and then make sure you click the little hollow circles next to the spell/power names to indicate that they are "prepared/learned".

When you get used to basic creation in there, this allows you to do more advanced things like set up spells/powers that might have limited uses, etc.

damned
August 6th, 2019, 13:28
Another example is my modifiers tab/window does not have this check box referred to also in this thread.

Bottom Left Hand Corner of the screen - below the Chat Window, Left of the Dice.

Larsenex
August 6th, 2019, 16:06
I just want to say that all of you explaining to me in this thread are awesome. Shade and Trenloe and everyone, thank you for helping me 'learn' these small things with FG. I intend to be here a long time and like a kid I want to know it all. Your patience is most welcome!

Larsenex
August 7th, 2019, 13:07
Shade, I GOT IT! I found where to make it prepared. If i use it do I have to keep preparing it? (sneak attack). I could not find where to make the rogue a spontaneous caster. I could add new abilities but not sure where the setting was you are referring to.

ShadeRaven
August 7th, 2019, 15:30
Once it's prepared, it stays that way until you "unprepare it". So it will always be ready for use once you set it up.

The Prepared/Spontaneous button is that little icon right next to "Abilities and Features" on my screenshot. It can be clicked and changed around to various options.

Glad you got it going!

Larsenex
August 13th, 2019, 00:04
I want to say thanks to everyone who showed me how to add a 'power' to the rogue. In this case Sneak Attack.

Now How would I add 'Power attack' for a fighter? Is there a way to add the extra die if it hits?

Trenloe
August 13th, 2019, 01:41
Now How would I add 'Power attack' for a fighter? Is there a way to add the extra die if it hits?
Use effects - add a one-roll DMG effect before making the damage roll. For example, if the damage dice of your weapon is 1d8, add the following effect: DMG: 1d8

Information on effects are in the User Guide section of the Wiki here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/PFRPG2_Effects

darrenan
August 13th, 2019, 18:41
Last night we were trying to encode Shield Block, and the best we could come up with was RESIST: n bludgeoning; RESIST: n piercing; RESIST: n slashing. Is there any easier way? We figured out the hard way that DR was no longer a thing.

darrenan
August 13th, 2019, 18:45
What's the difference between PERS and DMGO? They appear very similar on the wiki page.

Trenloe
August 13th, 2019, 18:48
What's the difference between PERS and DMGO? They appear very similar on the wiki page.
Currently, they're the same. In the future PERS will automate the DC15 flat check to remove. I'm not sure there's a need for DMGO anymore, but will leave it in just in case.

Trenloe
August 13th, 2019, 18:49
Last night we were trying to encode Shield Block, and the best we could come up with was RESIST: n bludgeoning; RESIST: n piercing; RESIST: n slashing. Is there any easier way? We figured out the hard way that DR was no longer a thing.
Easier way? Wait for the ruleset to include this? Other than that, not sure if there is an easier way...

darrenan
August 13th, 2019, 18:51
okey doke, thanks.

Larsenex
November 2nd, 2019, 16:23
How would I add an effect to the players sheet. In this case the Power attack listed above?

I assume it would be on the actions tab but do i create it as a spell class?

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2019, 16:40
How would I add an effect to the players sheet. In this case the Power attack listed above?

I assume it would be on the actions tab but do i create it as a spell class?
Lots of details around this already provided by ShadeRaven in this very thread. See posts #4, #9 and #11 for screenshots and steps.

Larsenex
November 2nd, 2019, 17:04
Thanks Trenloe.
I can add it via focus powers but for some reason when I try to add it as a spell (such as a cantrip), I cant add Spell effects. The radial dial to add it is not showing it.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2019, 17:12
Thanks Trenloe.
I can add it via focus powers but for some reason when I try to add it as a spell (such as a cantrip), I cant add Spell effects. The radial dial to add it is not showing it.
Works OK for me. I add a new spell (via the right-click menu) then add an effect action to that spell - right-click on the new spell title -> Add spell action -> Add effect

If these steps don’t work then please provide a screenshot showing your action tab setup and the issue.

Ckorik
November 2nd, 2019, 17:18
In case you never found it - or for anyone else joining the thread and having no idea what checkbox in effects they were talking about (effects to me is the window that pops up when you click... effects) - here is a screenshot of another 'had no idea this existed' thing I learned from reading this thread:

Larsenex
November 2nd, 2019, 23:45
Yes I got Power attack as an action just like sneak attack. It works great thank you!

Is there a way for the damage variable to be dependent on weapon used? So the fighter is using a polearm dmg 1d10, but he also has a buckler strapped to his left arm and carries a short sword. Should I just create two versions of power attack based on the damage of the weapons he carries? One for the short sword (1d6) and one for the pole arm (1d10) or is there a way to get FG to recognize the weapon used and use that damage for the effect?

Ckorik
November 3rd, 2019, 00:35
Create two versions is how you do it - pick the correct version to apply when 'activating' power attack.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2019, 01:14
... is there a way to get FG to recognize the weapon used and use that damage for the effect?
Effects don't know what weapon is being used.

Milke
November 3rd, 2019, 19:25
There is no flanking button, but there is a flatfooted button on the +/- tab. And when you flank someone, that's what you're doing is making them flatfooted to your attack. So, clicking this button gives them a minus 2 AC to your attack roll.