PDA

View Full Version : AD&D map of Phlan and its slums

Natewizard
August 4th, 2019, 23:25
Hello everyone, I am wanting to go old school and run a pool of radiance adventure for my players. Using the AD&D 2E rules. But have not had any luck finding a map tto use, has anyone come across any maps for this old adventure? This is the adventure I'm wanting to run FRC1 Ruins of Adventure.

celestian
August 4th, 2019, 23:51
I ran it about a year ago I think. You are in luck, I've done a lot of them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B53Z1k8zPr4cd293SnoyNGNEbHM

Natewizard
August 4th, 2019, 23:57
OMG thank you Celestian, I didn't expect such a fast response for these maps :)

celestian
August 5th, 2019, 00:16
I will warn you, the adventure is kinda a mess in places. I would absolutely change it up.I changed up a lot in the middle.

Natewizard
August 5th, 2019, 00:18
I ran it at a table years ago, bent it to fit my home-brew world still have them notes, thanks again :)

Paxx
August 5th, 2019, 00:19
I remember playing 1st, 2nd and 3.5 but the first two not clearly. Is 2e the one where the fireball is measured in square feet ?

celestian
August 5th, 2019, 00:24
I ran it at a table years ago, bent it to fit my home-brew world still have them notes, thanks again :)

Sounds good! I ran through the video game as well to give me some ideas to work with on some parts.

I remember playing 1st, 2nd and 3.5 but the first two not clearly. Is 2e the one where the fireball is measured in square feet ?

AD&D (all versions) and I think even 3, 4 and 5 all measure fireball area in square feet.

Paxx
August 5th, 2019, 14:58
I don't know how to reply to a reply,LOL but this is for Mr. Bill, I just read both the 2e and 5e versions of the Fireball spell and they are two total different spells. One is a powerful incineration spell that covers a 20' radius, 33,000 cubic feet, roughly = to - quantity: 33 - 10'x10'x10' cubes. Besides causing damage to creatures, the
fireball ignites all combustible materials within its burst radius, and the heat of the
fireball melts soft metals such as gold, copper, silver, etc. Exposed items require saving
throws vs. magical fire to determine if they are affected, but items in the possession of a
creature that rolls a successful saving throw are unaffected by the fireball.
I got tired of typing.
The other is a " blossom"
A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a
point you choose within range and then blossoms with
a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature
in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must
make a Dexterity saving throw. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable
objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.

What do you think, does the same 33,000 cubic still apply? 2e was a game where wizards were powerful and feared, now they're no more than glorified fairies. Now that's just one old DM's opinion.

mattekure
August 5th, 2019, 15:19
Well, 33,000 cubic feet is just the volume of a 20' radius sphere. (technically its 33,510 cubic feet). so it sounds like they are the same size.

Paxx
August 5th, 2019, 15:37
I believe you're missing the point. If you sit down at a 5e D&D game and say my wizard cast a fireball right there on the ground, is it the size of a 40' diameter or a 80' diameter considering the full volume of the fireball on a flat surface? That not really a question because most young DMs now days think that a 20' radius fireball is a 20' diameter fireball on a flat surface.

mattekure
August 5th, 2019, 16:11
Its a bit condescending to claim that "most young DM's" cant tell the difference between a 20' radius and a 20' diameter. Thats certainly not been my experience with younger players and DM's.

The spells are defined differently. in 2e, the volume of the spell was specified and it was explicitly stated that the fireball will conform to and fill the area up to its volume. So the spread of your fireball depends hugely on factors of the space such as ceiling height.

In 5e, the spell just specifies the 20' radius from a point. There are no rules for modifying the affected area due to the shape of the location where it is cast.

Paxx
August 5th, 2019, 16:45
Its a bit condescending to claim that "most young DM's" cant tell the difference between a 20' radius and a 20' diameter. Thats certainly not been my experience with younger players and DM's.

The spells are defined differently. in 2e, the volume of the spell was specified and it was explicitly stated that the fireball will conform to and fill the area up to its volume. So the spread of your fireball depends hugely on factors of the space such as ceiling height.

In 5e, the spell just specifies the 20' radius from a point. There are no rules for modifying the affected area due to the shape of the location where it is cast.

Don't say I'm condescending just because your experience and my experience have been different Everybody is so quick to judge every little word and are so offended if every phrase isn't perfectly worded. I'm tired of it.
Please don't reply to anymore of my forums if you're going to be like that.

LordEntrails
August 5th, 2019, 18:53
Chill out folks.

As for the fireball, look at how it was defined back in the OD&D days, Homes to be specific, it has a different range and area of effect depending upon if you were inside or outside.

But yes, 5E is a much different game than 2E. Hence why it is a different edition. One could say it has 'matured', just like we all should be on these forums.

celestian
August 5th, 2019, 19:16
I don't know how to reply to a reply,LOL but this is for Mr. Bill, I just read both the 2e and 5e versions of the Fireball spell and they are two total different spells. One is a powerful incineration spell that covers a 20' radius, 33,000 cubic feet, roughly = to - quantity: 33 - 10'x10'x10' cubes. Besides causing damage to creatures, the
fireball ignites all combustible materials within its burst radius, and the heat of the
fireball melts soft metals such as gold, copper, silver, etc. Exposed items require saving
throws vs. magical fire to determine if they are affected, but items in the possession of a
creature that rolls a successful saving throw are unaffected by the fireball.
I got tired of typing.
The other is a " blossom"
A bright streak flashes from your pointing finger to a
point you choose within range and then blossoms with
a low roar into an explosion of flame. Each creature
in a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must
make a Dexterity saving throw. The fire spreads around corners. It ignites flammable
objects in the area that aren't being worn or carried.

What do you think, does the same 33,000 cubic still apply? 2e was a game where wizards were powerful and feared, now they're no more than glorified fairies. Now that's just one old DM's opinion.

I think there might be some confusion in my response. If the poster was asking if they needed to calculate cubic feet (not square feet) then that's not what I caught. There definitely a cubic space used for fireballs in AD&D if that's the case. I don't play the later versions all that much but as I understood it all used a base X feet size tho I don't think (at least 5e) uses cubic feet calculations.

I don't calculate it in my games even tho I do play AD&D. Dealing with math like that is a bit more than I want in my games.

Rivanknight220
August 9th, 2021, 01:50
I ran it about a year ago I think. You are in luck, I've done a lot of them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B53Z1k8zPr4cd293SnoyNGNEbHM

I've been wanting to run a 5E version of this module for a while now and I was so happy to stumble across your maps. Out of curiosity, do you have any supporting material that explain what the numbers on the DM maps are for? I'm trying to cross reference between the actual module and the old Gold Box game and some things track and some don't. Any help would be appreciated!