PDA

View Full Version : Effects

MadBeardMan
August 3rd, 2019, 17:52
Folks,

Very open to suggestions on this. Traveller is quite open in places (like when fatigue comes into effect) and as such there's no fixed list of effects like in DnD/WOiN.

So can we build up a list of effects and what those effects do.

I'll then add it into the next update.

Cheers,
MBM

Boldtaar
April 17th, 2020, 22:56
Maybe use effects for handling different gravities, atmosphere and radioactive contaminated areas.
PC in my group was preparing to climb mount salbari in the High and dry adventure.
Some PC where heavily encumbered when all equipment, spareparts and food was added. Then someone pointed out that the gravity is only 0.45G.
Would be nice to be to have a effect where you can add planets size and it re calculates the encumbrance using the new gravity for the PC

LordNanoc
April 18th, 2020, 13:38
Fire, Poison, Acid and such come to my mind instantly. Fear would be an interesting one, maybe together with the sanity characteristic from Companion

Atm I create the effect I wanna use and add it to the pc in the ct. Then I roll the effect each round manually and add the i.e. damage of poison manually in the ct.
Some automation would be nice here.

esmdev
April 18th, 2020, 14:09
I think that a damage over time (with variable damage types) would be a good effect to have. It would also be useful for disease and poison which require checks over time. Zero-G would be a good one. Depressurize (For instance in a Vacc suit that has been compromised).

esmdev
April 18th, 2020, 14:12
Leadership and Tactics could be used as effects.

MadBeardMan
April 18th, 2020, 14:33
I think that a damage over time (with variable damage types) would be a good effect to have. It would also be useful for disease and poison which require checks over time. Zero-G would be a good one. Depressurize (For instance in a Vacc suit that has been compromised).

With CSC giving us fire, which is a DoT I think it might be time to plug an effects system in and start to add some basic effects.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 18th, 2020, 14:34
Leadership and Tactics could be used as effects.

Not sure how that could work, you saying (for example) drag Leadership effect to a group of characters (that bit is fine) and it expires that round, or drag the effect onto the char with Leadership and at the start of each round it makes the roll and applies the effect to the group, though what happens is two characters have the effect?

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
April 18th, 2020, 15:02
So for leadership the effect could be a grant counter. For instance when the player makes a roll then a counter that equals the successes would be applied to self. Each time they grant a boon the counter would decrement (or be decremented by the player if easier on coding).

For tactics the adjustment could be applied to the appropriate side as an effect to increase initiative. I suppose it could be added to the combat tracker initiative modifier but that risks being accidentally overwritten.

MadBeardMan
April 18th, 2020, 15:13
So for leadership the effect could be a grant counter. For instance when the player makes a roll then a counter that equals the successes would be applied to self. Each time they grant a boon the counter would decrement (or be decremented by the player if easier on coding).

For tactics the adjustment could be applied to the appropriate side as an effect to increase initiative. I suppose it could be added to the combat tracker initiative modifier but that risks being accidentally overwritten.

Well even reading that makes me think it really needs to be properly thought about and implemented as a working thing rather than half baked (does that make sense).

First job is to add Effects, and add Fatigue and Unconcious to start, then add more and more over time.

Cheers,
MBM

Boldtaar
November 2nd, 2020, 17:49
Are the default Effect just flags to help the GM keep of affects, or is there any automation behind them?

Would be nice to have a tooltip popup with a description on the effect and a field to add some description text when creating s custom effects.
Im adding Altitude sickness I-III Effect for my next High n Dry adventure

MadBeardMan
November 4th, 2020, 12:03
Are the default Effect just flags to help the GM keep of affects, or is there any automation behind them?

Would be nice to have a tooltip popup with a description on the effect and a field to add some description text when creating s custom effects.
Im adding Altitude sickness I-III Effect for my next High n Dry adventure

Hi,

They're just flags atm. I've tried to get some Gravity effects automated, I'll try and finish that soon.

I like the idea of the tooltip, not sure where you can enter the description as that's not part of FG.

Cheers,
MBM

Serg Barbeau
November 12th, 2020, 13:23
Good day
What modifiers work at the moment, except for the characteristics modifiers (DEX +1 and so on) in items and MD button?

MadBeardMan
November 16th, 2020, 13:18
Good day
What modifiers work at the moment, except for the characteristics modifiers (DEX +1 and so on) in items and MD button?

Hi Serg,

From the effects list, Fatigued and Fire currently work. Poison will at some point when I've had the time to work out how best to state it.

Other mods are the desktop which should all work with almost everything, and now you had Mod fields within actions.

Cheers,
MBM

Serg Barbeau
November 18th, 2020, 09:45
Hi Serg,

From the effects list, Fatigued and Fire currently work. Poison will at some point when I've had the time to work out how best to state it.

Other mods are the desktop which should all work with almost everything, and now you had Mod fields within actions.

Cheers,
MBM

Hi, MBM
How it works?
Desktop Modifers -Bonuses and Penalties work, but how do I write custom modifiers? What keywords do you use? "+1 Aim", as written in bonuses, does not work.
The same applies to Desktop Effects. An effect "DEX +1" applied to a character has no effect when checked.
If custom effects can be purely informative, then custom modifiers should definitely work, otherwise I don't see the point in them

chew827
November 18th, 2020, 17:44
Not sure how that could work, you saying (for example) drag Leadership effect to a group of characters (that bit is fine) and it expires that round, or drag the effect onto the char with Leadership and at the start of each round it makes the roll and applies the effect to the group, though what happens is two characters have the effect?

So I've been thinking about this - I use Effects in Pathfinder and Savage Worlds pretty extensively. Leadership and Tactics are definitely things that floated to the surface as a potential place to automate in Traveller. But the problem I have is that RAW doesn't specify when the boons and banes granted by the leader should be used. More specifically when the bane is used, which roll it is used on. Because there's a lot of Referee and Player decision making involved this is a hard one to solve with automation. One option would be to use something like with the PF2e (and other) effect systems - the leader rolls the leadership/tactics roll and determines Effect and then assigns X bane/boon effects to the other Travellers. That enters the CT as Off, Action, Start, 1 round. - not on, removed on an action roll when on, rounds reduced at the Start of a turn, only valid for 1 round...

Here's an example from PF2e:

This would mean that the Referee or Player would have to toggle it on for it to apply, but it's present in the CT for book keeping...

I also use a lot of effects in PF2e that have no automation on them just as a note to players or myself.

MadBeardMan
November 20th, 2020, 15:43
Hi All,

Automation for some things is just a headache at this time. High Guard is adding more rules to the system, and Traveller Companion even more. Once those rules are catered for, I'd be keen to really develop the bells and whistles especially around CT's. For the moment I use a note pad, but if something can be made that fits nicely then I'll code it in (assuming it's not a 2 week job).

So let's think about how Tactics and Leadership be automated. I like the above idea that the leader can assign the effects, so let me think about that one.

Cheers,
MBM

Serg Barbeau
November 20th, 2020, 17:12
Hi All,

Automation for some things is just a headache at this time. High Guard is adding more rules to the system, and Traveller Companion even more. Once those rules are catered for, I'd be keen to really develop the bells and whistles especially around CT's. For the moment I use a note pad, but if something can be made that fits nicely then I'll code it in (assuming it's not a 2 week job).

So let's think about how Tactics and Leadership be automated. I like the above idea that the leader can assign the effects, so let me think about that one.

Cheers,
MBM

The easiest and bug-free way to make the "INIT +1" keyword work in desktop effects, as implemented in DnD

MadBeardMan
November 23rd, 2020, 16:29
The easiest and bug-free way to make the "INIT +1" keyword work in desktop effects, as implemented in DnD

Yes, but INIT +1 doesn't really apply here, there's not a lot that gives +1 INIT. It's the effect of the Tactics roll that is then applied to all players. Leadership gives boons/banes based on the effect. So yes, we could add +1 through +6 to the effects for INIT, that's a lot of buttons, when you could just use the iMod and enter 2 in there.

Cheers,
MBM