PDA

View Full Version : Is FG worth it?

Natai
October 12th, 2006, 01:31
I have only recently been considering buying FG and I'm trying to figure out if it is right for me. I would appreciate any help you all could give me.
I am currently working on a pen & paper RPG of my own design called Proteus. I would like to be able to support the needs of any players who make use of virtual tabletop software.
Proteus uses a variant of a dice pool system. There are two types of dice rolls, one that uses a d10 dice pool to roll for skills and one that uses d6s for damage. Damage is calculated using a system I devised called incremental damage wherein the first success in the d10 dice pool results in the weapon dealing its base damage and each additional success results in an additional damage increment. For example, a rifle's base damage is 2d6+2 and its damage increment is d6, which is written as 2d6+2(d6). A single success on the attack roll (made using a d10 dice pool) would deal 2d6+2 damage. Two successes would deal 3d6+2 damage (2d6+2+d6). Three successes would deal 4d6+2, and so on.
Is it possible to create a ruleset to model this system in FG?
While reading these posts I have seen reference to an upcoming v1.06 and a v2.0. It seems to me that people have been waiting for 1.06 for a long time and 2.0 is currently in Beta. I'm a little confused why there would be two updates in the works at the same time. Will I have to wait until these updates are available to properly model my system? If so, does anyone have a rough idea when they are being released?
Is it possible to create macros or buttons in FG perform a specific game function, i.e. create a button that automatically makes the required rolls for using a First Aid Kit? Is it possible to have the stats listed in the character sheet automatically apply to rolls, i.e. having a player enter a command to roll for detecting a trap and have the software automatically select the proper number of dice depending on the character's stats?
Finally, I have seen a number of posts discussing the idea of floating licenses. I believe that the current package deals offered are excellent. However, I would love to have the option of purchasing floating licenses, even if they were more expensive. This option would be particularly useful to me for two reasons. First, it would allow me to introduce players to Proteus by playing a game without requiring them to first purchase the game or the software. Secondly, it would allow me to work with playtesters over the internet without requiring them to purchase software they might never use outside of playtesting for me.
I apologize if this post seems a little long. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

richvalle
October 12th, 2006, 01:54
You will want to wait for FG 2.0 to come out for the dice pools and scripting.

Version 1.05 is the current version. At first we were calling the upcoming patch version 1.06 but Smiteworks decided it was a big enough change to call it version 2.

grider
October 12th, 2006, 17:00
Yeah, I agree. Wait for 2.0. It sounds like it is going to be a huge update.

I have found FG a big improvement for me and my little world. It allows me to interface with so many more people. I used to run pen and paper games and FG online games all the time.

Lots of fun!

Natai
October 12th, 2006, 18:42
Thanks for the help.
It sounds as though FG would be the best software for me to support. My target release date is in January and I would like to start making FG adventures and rulesets available around that time. Is 2.0 expected to be available by then, or should I just plan on supporting FG later?

I saw a list of affiliates on the site. How does one become an affiliate?

I also saw that the Beta signup for 2.0 has just finished, what do you suppose the chances are that I would still be able to participate in that? My game uses a rather unique system and it would be helpful to get in on the Beta, not only to make sure it could support my game, but also to ensure that 2.0 is flexible enough to support a larger number of game types outside of the normal d20, D&D, WoD, etc. I would certainly be willing to purchase the full license if it meant I could be involved in the development of software that would work well with my game system.

richvalle
October 12th, 2006, 19:13
I'd think the software should be ready if not in Jan then soon after.

I think you become an afiliate by creating a website, posting some messages here showing you are a good guy and then asking nicely. :)

I hadn't realized the Beta Signup had finished. Go to one of the threads for the signup and post a message. Or is it locked?

rv