PDA

View Full Version : FG and Vista RC2

Thore_Ironrock
October 10th, 2006, 03:44
I wanted to let everyone know that I got my hands on a copy of Vista RC2, and so far FG seems to work well.

https://www.digitaladventures.net/images/fg_vista_rc2.jpg

I will be testing it with Digital Adventtures rulesets and other products this week, and with FG v2.0 once I get my hands on it. ;)

devinnight
October 10th, 2006, 23:50
What's up with that weird crease in your image?
-D

Thore_Ironrock
October 11th, 2006, 00:35
What's up with that weird crease in your image?
-D

That is one of those transparent sidebar thingies. It is resonsible for the clock at the top. It comes default setup like that in this release. ;)

Illrigger
October 11th, 2006, 01:07
There are issues from FG wanting to store all it's data in the Program Files folder, which Vista does not allow. Notably, any data you input from within the program is written to a hidden folder under your user folder (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\FantasyGrounds), so when you can't find your character or campaign data, that's where it is. This was mentioned in another thread; honestly the program should be rewritten so it properly writes user data into the user's personal folder structure at some point. In the meantime, you can manually dig out the data at the above path.

Thore_Ironrock
October 11th, 2006, 02:04
Thanks Ill ... I did notice that right away and remembered someone mentioning it before. I guy I work with thinks that there might be a way around that in the future via security permissions or some other tool, but for now it is a rather large pain.

... but it does still works good though! And so far no Digital Adventures project has failed to run on the this Vista build, and even the "magical d20 dice spin" works with no problems. So I'm hopeful. :)

Now is Ville would only get me that 2.0 build to test .... :-P

Illrigger
October 11th, 2006, 17:19
as a sysadmin IRL, I don't recommend bypassing the security features in Vista in order to get an app working the way you want it to. That's just not a good enough reason to disable the number one reason to be running the OS in the first place. Instead, just learn to work around the issues (I have a shortcut on my desktop to the VirtualStore folder to make access to it easier), and lobby for the apps in question to be updated to work under modern conventions (i.e. that user modified data be stored in the user folders by default).

However, it's your OS and your computer, and if you want to be insecure that's your business. I'll be continuing to scan all my incoming packets for viruses from you in either case. ;)

Griogre
October 11th, 2006, 21:50
However, it's your OS and your computer, and if you want to be insecure that's your business. I'll be continuing to scan all my incoming packets for viruses from you in either case. ;)
LOL, a prudent man, Illrigger... ;)

Snikle
October 11th, 2006, 22:44
That is one of those transparent sidebar thingies. It is resonsible for the clock at the top. It comes default setup like that in this release. ;)

Is that 'crease' removable? I use the Yahoo widgets that MS is copying into Vista and I can place them anywhere on the desktop and not be confined by a sidebar docked to a particular side. If I cannot remove that, or place the widgets anywhere I want on the desktop....yet another reason for me to delay the eventual upgrade to Vista....or just not install that and continue to use my Yahoo widgets......silly old MS incorporating every single thing into their OS.

Thore_Ironrock
October 11th, 2006, 22:46
Is that 'crease' removable?

Yeah, it's just a task process that you can cancel. Vista is very customizable in that regard.

Thore_Ironrock
October 11th, 2006, 22:52

DRAT! You've seen through my long term plans of infecting the FG community with a virus that will make them buy all of my products and join the Ministry of Silly Walks!

But seriously ... I in no means meant to comprimise a Vista installation. You just never know what sort of program might come down the pike that make be able to help this displaced file issue. I happen to be a former system admin myself, and well know the dangers involved in bypassing security.

Kudos Ill!

Illrigger
October 12th, 2006, 00:11
It's shocking how many people in the enthusiast community that find all the new security features in Vista to be "a pain in the ***" and promptly disable them. You'd think that the supposed "top 10%" of computer users would have more of a brain than to take the whole concept behind Vista and throw it away because it makes you click the mouse a few extra times. Go figure. :confused:

As for the "crease"? It's only there when you mouse is over the sidebar, and the sidebar is the top item. If Thore had clicked on the FG window, the sidebar would have been in the background, and the crease not visible. :)

https://illrigger.org/Documents/FG%20no%20crease.JPG

kalmarjan
October 12th, 2006, 00:21
Just an aside here as well...

One thing that frustrates me to no end using Microsoft products is the assumption that the End User or the Developers of products will conform to their new standard. While it is admirable that you would protect your system and refuse to bend to the old paradigm of file conventions, you may also find out that there are a lot of programs out there that will break your hard and fast rule.

The best way to get around this is to start out by using your brain. If you do not want the program to be installed in an unsecure location, you do not have to install it there. I installed FG into my G drive (for games... get it?) and have yet to have a slight problem with security issues.

That being said, no one is "wrong" in this case. Bottom line is, it is the end users computer. Perhaps if Microsoft put a little more effort into combating the security issues by proactively eliminating them, we would not even be having this discussion. I have held off getting Vista (if I even knew where to sign up... <sigh>) because I am tired of the approach of putting out the fires as they crop up.

Lastly, you should always check any packets you get from an outside source. Even if they follow conventions that you find acceptable, you still never know...

Cheers,

Sandeman

Thore_Ironrock
October 12th, 2006, 01:25
I guess ... you have Star War Galaxies installed ...

:-)

Illrigger
October 12th, 2006, 02:21
Yeah, what can I say, I'm a masochist. :P

Aren Darkstar, CL90 Commando, Sunrunner :)

heruca
October 12th, 2006, 02:39
Vista sure looks prettier than XP, but some of the eye candy seems to interfere with the readability of the screen elements. I like that it seems a bit friendlier and dare-I-say "Mac-like". Is Vista reworking the OS through and through, or is it just a slick veneer over the same crusty underpinnings?

Illrigger
October 12th, 2006, 19:50
Vista sure looks prettier than XP, but some of the eye candy seems to interfere with the readability of the screen elements. I like that it seems a bit friendlier and dare-I-say "Mac-like". Is Vista reworking the OS through and through, or is it just a slick veneer over the same crusty underpinnings?
Vista is 70% new code, most of which is invisible. They're taking security extremely seriously this time, to the point of getting some things working getting annoying (as an example, it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to share a folder on the network an actually get into it from another computer). Once you get used to it, it's not too bad, but it's a definite hurdle.

The new UI is more than just pretty. The new start menu is a tremendous boon; instead of relying on large amount of mouse movement to find and start apps, it's all done in the confines of the menu space itself, and is mousewheel friendly. It takes far less time to get your apps running now because of it. There's less repetitive motion inside the OS itself in most places, making ergonomics noticably better overall. The most common uses in any given window are readily available on screen without having to get into pull-down menus, and the built-in search helps keep mousing down as well.

Additionally, gaming gets a lot better for the novice user. Vista profiles your hardware and gives you a simple rating number. Once it launches, games at the store will have performance requirements based off these numbers, so all a consumer will have to do is walk up to a game look at the number on it, and if their PC's rating number is higher, it will run well. No more 10-line "system requirements" to memorize. All Vista ready games also will be simpler to install, and place themselves into a new window called the "Games Explorer", so there's a single place to go to look for all your games, and info on them such as rating and publisher info. Parental restictions are also tied to game ratings by this system, so if you say your kida can't play T-rated games, they won't run.

In the end, it's a lot like the Win9x to XP move was; it's a big change at first, but in the end it's a lot nicer and it's hard to go back.

Thore_Ironrock
October 12th, 2006, 23:11
For more info, see Uncle Bill ... ;)

https://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/sidebar.mspx

heruca
October 14th, 2006, 06:54
Thanks for the info, Illrigger.

I'm glad they got folder sharing down to just 20 minutes.;)