PDA

View Full Version : Storm King's Thunder module name change after release update

tasdu
July 26th, 2019, 15:06
Hi,

I noticed that release updates for July 23rd, 2019, had changed the name of the 5E adventure from "DD Storm King's Thunder" to "D&D Storm King's Thunder". So now when I try to access my saved links I get the following prompt: "A module you are trying to use is not loaded. DD Storm King's Thunder Activate module and attempt to activate link again?" Consequently all changes I've made to the module have also disappeared. How do I proceed to fix things?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2019, 16:48
Welcome to the FG forums!

You will have to edit your campaign db.xml file to change all the @DD Storm King's Thunder to @D&D Storm King's Thunder - a simple find replace should suffice - but make a backup of the file beforehand, just in case.

As for your changes to the module - these would have been stored in a directory in your campaign directory called "moduledb" - in an xml file with the name of the module. Make a backup of the DD Storm King's Thunder.xml file and change it to D&D Storm King's Thunder.xml Then start up your campaign and see if the links work and the changes are there.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2019, 18:14
@tasdu - I've done a quick test, and the naming of the module in the FG campaign db.xml file is @D&D Storm King's Thunder - the & is coded as &

Hope you can get your links and data back OK.

tasdu
July 26th, 2019, 18:27
@Trenloe - Your suggestions have fixed the issues; thank you!

Trenloe
July 26th, 2019, 18:33
Fantastic! :)

TMO
August 2nd, 2019, 04:02

Just one more affirmation that this also fixed the same issue for me. Thank goodness for the quick and helpful response from this community!

TMO
August 2nd, 2019, 07:15
Just one more affirmation that this also fixed the same issue for me. Thank goodness for the quick and helpful response from this community!

Without taking anything away from my praise of this community, I do want to report that this "fix" still left me with issues during my game. First, none of the NPC tokens were on my battle-maps although the PC tokens were. So I had to remember where to place them since our last game session ended in the middle of a battle. Second, my encounter and story pins still wouldn't work. I had to use the stories to navigate the different rooms and pull up encounters. So, this wasn't as bad as I feared but it did cause some inconvenience. Is this always to be expected if a module gets renamed?

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2019, 07:46
Usually, only the cosmetic name gets changed when we need to update the naming of a module, not the reference name. I'm asking the 5E DLC developers to see if I can find out if something changed on SKT.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
August 2nd, 2019, 16:09
Looking into this, it was a simple mistake that slipped through when one of our content developers pushed an update. SKT is one a couple modules built with a different process than the others; and the reference name accidentally got changed, instead of the cosmetic name. I apologize for the mix-up.

At this point, it seems best to leave it as it is now; or it would cause the same issue in reverse. I don’t want to mess things up for your campaign any further.

Regards,
JPG

Talyn
August 2nd, 2019, 16:23
Eh, it's only been a short while, I'm still inclined to just roll it back. Seems like that would do the least amount of campaign damage. Just my two cents.

Trenloe
August 2nd, 2019, 16:27
First, none of the NPC tokens were on my battle-maps although the PC tokens were. So I had to remember where to place them since our last game session ended in the middle of a battle. Second, my encounter and story pins still wouldn't work. I had to use the stories to navigate the different rooms and pull up encounters.
Those are all stored in the campaign db.xml file. Sounds like the find/replace you did on that file didn't run correctly.

TMO
August 3rd, 2019, 06:21
Eh, it's only been a short while, I'm still inclined to just roll it back. Seems like that would do the least amount of campaign damage. Just my two cents.

For what it is worth, same here. I only made adjustments to a single campaign map. If all I needed to do was reverse my XML content back to the way it was that would be a little price to pay to ensure all of my other encounter maps are still intact. In other words, leaving it the way it is will still require me to fix encounter maps with pins that don't work.

Trenloe
August 3rd, 2019, 22:22
If it’s not rolled back, I’d recommend looking at the find/replace process in more details - this should work. Especially look at the exact replace string needed that I detail in post #3 of this thread.

No need to spend more time updating your links manually, let us know details of the find/replace strings you been using (what strings, what text editor application) - maybe provide screenshots of how the find/replace is setup within the text editor. We'll try and get your links working for you again! :-)

Moon Wizard
August 4th, 2019, 04:33
Since it has been 3 weeks since the change, I’m hesitant to make a rollback.

If you want us to look at the campaign files, you can zip up the campaign folder and share a link. I can help take a look.

One thing to note is that campaign changes are saved in db.xml; but any edits to modules are stored separately in the moduledb folder.

Regards,
JPG

Nodal
August 10th, 2019, 17:33
I'm having a number of issues including entire descriptions missing in the story. I've zipped up my campaign, I've attempted some of the fixes already earlier in this thread. Thanks.https://mega.nz/#!OAgD2aBC!4IXEFPBMfA3CuLb3FbBTQN9vhUPc9oTi9DLSAx1 Imu0

Zacchaeus
August 10th, 2019, 20:43
I'm having a number of issues including entire descriptions missing in the story. I've zipped up my campaign, I've attempted some of the fixes already earlier in this thread. Thanks.https://mega.nz/#!OAgD2aBC!4IXEFPBMfA3CuLb3FbBTQN9vhUPc9oTi9DLSAx1 Imu0

You have a file in your moduledb folder called D&D Storm King's Thunder.xml.xml which may very well be causing your issue. As far as I can see your db.xml and the files in your moduledb folder have all been changed to the correct title. I can't find any references to DD Storm King's Thunder in any of those files. I can't see anything missing in the campaign and all the links I clicked on worked. If, after deleting that file, you still have issues can you point towards them specifically.

Daxcor
August 11th, 2019, 00:52
Ok I am a bit confused but that is normal :) If there was an update and the name changed I can see the issue. But if I revert back to the old name with my content, then don't I lose the content of the update by rolling back? So is the intent here not to make changes to a premade module? Is there a way to add content to a premade and not lose it in an update? I feel like I am missing something on how the content is organized.

Zacchaeus
August 11th, 2019, 01:03
In any campaign you can change things about a module. Such changes are stored in the campaign files - they don’t actually change the module. If the module name changes then FG sees that as a different module so any changes you made are not shown. However by renaming certain campaign files to be the same as the new module name you can recover your changes.

Normally a module update does not interfere with any changes you made in a campaign since the campaign data overwrites the module data.

HuseyinCinar
August 13th, 2019, 21:16
I used the .xml changes here and got most things fixed. Please no rollback.

If a rollback was done immediately I'd be all for it. But even 2 days after is too late, now it has been QUITE long.

kruvek
September 28th, 2019, 07:43
Just had to deal with this, luckily the fix worked, once I had done it right. In my case, the last time I had a game with this group was back in April or May, so apparently before the update. Thank goodness I tried opening up the campaign to check on everything, or I would have had to do all this on game day on Sunday.

BTW, I was able to retain all of my map pins and hotkeys by doing the same find/replace on not just "db.xml", but also "hotkeys_host.xml" in the usersettings folder, and (after replacing the file) "D&D Storm King's Thunder.xml" in the moduledb folder.