PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Start

Yenooc
October 9th, 2006, 01:44
I'm brand new to FG, and I'm seeking a DM and group of new players with whom I can learn to play using this program. I've just purchased the license, and I've printed the User Manual, but I'm never going to understand what's going on without getting into the actual playing of the game.

I'm looking for a DnD 3.5 setting with ability point purchase to accomodate my newly created 1st level characters. The d20 rule set seems to match the 3.5 Player's Handbook, which is what I have for my only reference. I'm not familiar with any particular world setting, since I don't remember that as a feature from when I played in the 80's.

As I said, I played DnD in the 80's, but I've been out of it for a long time. I've been trying to find a computer (online) game that matches the DnD feel, but all have fallen short so far. I play (and enjoy-as an MMORPG) DDO, but I really miss the true DnD experience. When I added a comment to my post in a thread on the DDO website, a kind player pointed me to the FG website. This looks as if it could be exactly what I've been looking for.

I work an ever-shifting real world schedule, but it also enables me to play at all hours during the days that I'm free. Unfortunately, however, I can never guarantee that I'll have the same days of the week off for any long period of time.

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to get enough information out there to enable others to see whether or not I would fit in with something they have going. Please contact me ([email protected]) if you think that we may be a match.

Yenooc

Pilsnerquest
October 9th, 2006, 03:40
Hello,

Griogre is running a Rappan Athuk come-when-you-can kind of campaign right now on Saturdays. He uses a point buy system and is pretty newbie friendly. There's more info at www.fouruglymonsters.com Look in the forums (you'll have to register) under Campaigns.

Pilsnerquest

Griogre
October 9th, 2006, 05:26
D&D has changed a lot since the 80's, both for better and worse, IMHO.

Like Pilsnerquest mentioned I am running an open table type campaign. You can see all the info about it here (https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=35). Feel free to check it out, it might be a good game for you because of your irregular schedule.

Yenooc
October 9th, 2006, 14:46
Thank you to both Pilsnerquest and Griogre for such quick responses. I'll register on FUM soon and check it out.

And as a side note, I have two other players who are awaiting my evaluation to decide whether or not to use the FG software. I've already told them that it looks very promising to me.

Thanks

Griogre
October 9th, 2006, 19:10
You might want to play a demo game with your friends. You can hook two clients up to a host with the demo. The demo is very similar to FG except you can't save anything - but you can roll dice, draw and create maps and move tokens around on the maps as well as share images to see how it works. If you don't have any problems connection with your friends connecting with the demo, you won't have any problems with a real version.