PDA

View Full Version : Noob making a class for PF; How do you make links to class tables on the Main tab?

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
July 17th, 2019, 01:06
Just got Fantasy Grounds, so I'll naturally have a lot of questions and be making more topics in the future:

So basically, with the Pathfinder Basic Rules classes, below the Hit Die there are a couple of links to tables for the Level Progression and (for spellcasting classes) Spells Per Day. Where are those tables kept/made so I can make my own for the custom class and link them to the class page? I'm trying to manually type in a class from a supplement of which I own a physical copy so I can use it in games.

I tried Tables, but it seems those are only for making tables that you roll on. :confused:

Kelrugem
July 17th, 2019, 01:28
Hi and welcome to the forums :)

The best and easiest way would be to implement the table directly using the controls for formatting text, see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields :) Maybe someone more experienced can help you more with that but to get exactly the same like with the provided classes (a link to some table) you need xml stuff since the links link to data in some reference manual of that module where the class comes from. As a workaround (avoiding xml) I would suggest to make a new entry in "Special Abilities" (on the right hand side of FG if you have activated that, otherwise you have to go into the library to open the tab of special abilities there) and link that in the informational text :)

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
July 17th, 2019, 01:43
Thanks for the prompt reply. I know I'll probably want to get into xml coding at some point so that I can actually program my own fully homebrewed systems into the software, so xml is not off the table for me.

The Special Abilities entry doesn't seem to work the best format-wise, so I went with making a Note instead. Getting the table properly formatted was kind of a pain with all the tabbing and individual cell width adjusting, but it got the job done.

Is there any way to adjust the width of a whole column or insert an entire column/row? It seems like a basic function that should be part of this program's functionality. Also, when I hit the down arrow to change cells, it went down and to the right for some reason.

Kelrugem
July 17th, 2019, 01:55
Thanks for the prompt reply. I know I'll probably want to get into xml coding at some point so that I can actually program my own fully homebrewed systems into the software, so xml is not off the table for me.

The Special Abilities entry doesn't seem to work the best format-wise, so I went with making a Note instead. Getting the table properly formatted was kind of a pain with all the tabbing and individual cell width adjusting, but it got the job done.

Is there any way to adjust the width of a whole column or insert an entire column/row? It seems like a basic function that should be part of this program's functionality. Also, when I hit the down arrow to change cells, it went down and to the right for some reason.

Ah okay, sorry, I do not completely remember what one can in the text field of the Special Abilities :) But the way how one modifies the text tables should normally be the same.

To get a new row simply press enter while you are in the table, for a new column use CTRL + TAB and the size can be adjusted by CTRL + PLUS and CTRL + MINUS (but the +/- on the number block may not work with that, didn't test that now but I remember something like that :D ) but this adjustment is in sense of "number of cells" (so it then counts as the entry of two columns without a breaking line in between, difficult to describe in words :) ). The size of a single cell is determined by the size of the text window itself :)

and yes, the movement in the table is a bit different :D

Trenloe
July 17th, 2019, 02:08
A lot of the class automation is embedded in the ruleset - 3.5E.pak (which PFRPG shares). The spells per level are at the end of campaign\scripts\manager_char.lua file - addClassSpellLevelHelper function.

Faolan the Azure Abjurer
July 17th, 2019, 04:03
Ah okay, sorry, I do not completely remember what one can in the text field of the Special Abilities :) But the way how one modifies the text tables should normally be the same.

To get a new row simply press enter while you are in the table, for a new column use CTRL + TAB and the size can be adjusted by CTRL + PLUS and CTRL + MINUS (but the +/- on the number block may not work with that, didn't test that now but I remember something like that :D ) but this adjustment is in sense of "number of cells" (so it then counts as the entry of two columns without a breaking line in between, difficult to describe in words :) ). The size of a single cell is determined by the size of the text window itself :)

and yes, the movement in the table is a bit different :D

I actually meant more along the lines of entering an "entire" row or column of cells. The method you described just adds a single cell, which can get rather tedious when trying to make a large table.

Kelrugem
July 17th, 2019, 04:09
ah, okay. That I sadly do not know except maybe directly in the xml files. But maybe someone knows a solution, but I am not aware of any other solution

Trenloe
July 17th, 2019, 04:56
I actually meant more along the lines of entering an "entire" row or column of cells. The method you described just adds a single cell, which can get rather tedious when trying to make a large table.
Look at this extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49930-CSV-Table-Importer-MK. It allows importing of data in a CSV format and converts it into a formatted text table in FG.