PDA

View Full Version : 5E: Map Indicator for Death (Extended Version)

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 14th, 2019, 05:48
Most of us have come to know death indicators as an integral part of Fantasy Grounds when playing 5th edition D&D. In the original death indicator (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?38059-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death) extension, the tombstone is placed as soon as the combatant reaches 0 hit points. This can create some confusion in 5E because players are not truly dead until they have failed 3 death saving throws. Furthermore, Fantasy Grounds also uses death saving throws for NPCs when players attack them but does not add the death saving throw controls to the NPC sheets in the combat tracker for GMs. This extension corrects these problems by allowing a GM to configure the death saving throw controls and their functionality for players, non-player characters, and monsters.

https://i.imgur.com/pFgKOBH.jpg

Due to the number of features that have been added and the 10,000 word limit here on the forum, this post has been trimmed down considerably. However the ReadMe.pdf file that is provided contains all of the information that this post used to have on how to use and configure the Death Indicator Ex (D.I.E.) extension. I highly recommend downloading it so you will know how to use all of the new and existing features:

https://i.imgur.com/u3KUA3U.png

Using Death Indicators
Preset Death Indicators for Player Characters
Preset Death Indicators for Non-player Characters
Death Saving Throw Configuration
Immunity to Death
Display Settings
Player and Non-player Character Tokens

Pathfinder 2

Due to request, I will be adding support for PF2 once Trenloe gets the dying functionality in place.

Release Information

Being my first extension, I'd like to thank Celestian for making this available to us, Rob2e and John for introducing me to the modding community here at FG, and to Diablobob for all of the tremendous help he has provided me. A very special thanks goes out to Intruder for the idea of showing blood and tombstones together in addition to all of the testing he has done with me, and to Melborne for the idea of having important NPCs.

This extension has been tested on Fantasy Grounds v3.3.8:

v1.0:
Modified Celestian's original code and extended the functionality to take the death saving throws into consideration before placing a tombstone.

v1.1:
Added support for auto-death rolls when the option is turned on. Fixed an issue where FG keeps adding the "stable" effect to the combatant.

v1.2:
Added support for important NPC death saving throws. Fixed tooltip from identifying an unidentified NPC / monster.

v1.3:
Added support for using blood splatter as a death indicator instead of tombstones.

v2.0:
Added support for tokens being used as death indicators and created GUI for death indicator selection.

v2.1:
Added a new link icon / shield, in the combat tracker for important NPCs. Fixed client and host side issues.

v2.2:
Added support for char tokens. We've never used these. So, I was unaware this was a feature.

v2.3:
Char tokens can now be dropped onto the char sheet by GM and will update on the map. Fixed all warnings, and optimized the graphics in the .ext and .mod file.

v3.0:
Added preset death indicators and allowed players to select their own tokens. Fixed a bug where certain token options were removed by accident.

v3.1:
Fixed a bug where the death indicator token was incorrectly rendered for the reference NPC window.

v3.2:
Added support for DiabloBob's Critically Awesome Essentials. Fixed the bug where druid wild shapes were being canceled if the druid took damage.

v3.3:
Added support for DiabloBob's Critically Awesome Essentials. Fixed the bug where shape change effects were being canceled for NPCs.

v4.0:
Added support for the IMMUNE: unconscious effect, PC and NPC auto death rolls, and custom NPC tokens. Fixed a bug where the LTDE extension was not displaying the dice tower correctly.

v4.1:
Fixed an issue where the LTDE extension was not displaying the tower correctly when the PC: Preset death indicator option is turned off.

v4.2:
Fixed an issue where NPCs without a token would continue to display a death indicator after being resurrected / healed.

v4.3:
Fixed an issue with the HeroPoints5e extension that was the same as the LTDE ext. Fixed an error that pops up due to problems with the Combat Enhancer. Fixed an error that pops up when a player rotates their token.

v4.4:
Fixed an issue where custom NPC tokens would revert back to their default token upon taking damage if the NPCs are added through the Encounters window.

Download and Install

Download the DeathIndicatorEx.ext and DeathIndicatorEx.mod files. On Windows 7 and up, place the .ext file in the

C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\extensions

folder and place the .mod file in the

C:\Users\(Your Username)\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds\modules

folder. If you cannot find these folders, open Fantasy Grounds and click the Settings button near the bottom. The Data Directory will contain the path to the Fantasy Grounds folder that you need to use:

https://i.imgur.com/pzjdyDV.png

Once you have downloaded the files and installed them into the correct folders, restart Fantasy Grounds and select 5E - Death Indicators (Extended) in the list of extensions for your campaign.

The module is a token module that contains only death indicator tokens. Although it is a .mod file, it does not load like a typical module through the Library. Instead, it loads as a module in the Tokens window by clicking the Modules button. However, the extension will load the token module automatically on startup.

Download the extension and the token module here:

Zacchaeus
July 14th, 2019, 10:53
Nice. Thanks for your contribution.

deer_buster
July 15th, 2019, 04:27
Just a thought, but in your illustration, the "Acolyte 1" should be "Dead", not "Unconscious" on the combat tracker...

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 15th, 2019, 05:14
Just a thought, but in your illustration, the "Acolyte 1" should be "Dead", not "Unconscious" on the combat tracker...

That's actually the 5E ruleset not removing the "Unconscious" effect and adding a "Dead" effect. It has nothing to do with the extension. I can look into it, but I think they did that because you normally delete dead NPCs, etc... from the combat tracker once they become dead. So, the effect wouldn't be shown very long. However, I don't think it would be too hard to fix. Thanks for pointing that out and I'll see what I can do to update the effect list when a combatant dies.

Moon Wizard
July 15th, 2019, 05:56
There is no Dead effect in the ruleset. Just an Unconscious effect to handle sleeping and dying situations, since unconscious can be independent of health status.

Regards,
JPG

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 15th, 2019, 06:02
There is no Dead effect in the ruleset. Just an Unconscious effect to handle sleeping and dying situations, since unconscious can be independent of health status.

Regards,
JPG

That's what I thought. I've been searching through the code for the 5E ruleset and haven't found a "Dead" effect. Is it possible to just clear the existing effects and add one for "Dead"? Being new to extension development, I'm still learning the ropes.

Moon Wizard
July 15th, 2019, 06:05
The Unconscious effect actually applies all the modifiers relevant to the condition according to the game system. Technically, a dead person has the Unconscious condition for application of rules (attack, etc.).

You could add an extra Dead effect, but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect. The creature already shows as Dead on the player combat tracker status value for health. The GM display just has many more detailed values, so doesn't show the high-level health status.

I would just leave as is, but it's up to you how you want to implement.

Regards,
JPG

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 15th, 2019, 06:07
The Unconscious effect actually applies all the modifiers relevant to the condition according to the game system. Technically, a dead person has the Unconscious condition for application of rules (attack, etc.).

You could add an extra Dead effect, but it wouldn't have any mechanical effect. The creature already shows as Dead on the player combat tracker status value for health. The GM display just has many more detailed values, so doesn't show the high-level health status.

Regards,
JPG

I'll just leave it as is. The only reason I was looking into adding a "Dead" effect is because deer_buster (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?5347-deer_buster) mentioned it.

Melborne
July 17th, 2019, 17:27
Exactly what I have been waiting for! Thank you!

I wanted to ask... Is it possible to add a Setting for the default Saves/Failures on Monsters/NPC's? Like dropping in a 30+ Kobold army and having to manually go into each and set it to 3 failures before the campaign starts is quite time consuming. That way if a DM wanted to give deathsaves to Important enemies, it would be easier to fix one mob verses 30.

celestian
July 17th, 2019, 20:23

Regards,
JPG

I played with removing it and it causes other issues because of the way it's applied/removed (during ondamage). I discussed the topic in a workshop post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49461-How-to-validate-quot-databasenode-quot) . I think there would be similar issues to do it. You can do it but it requires a lot of pieces when it doesn't really make any mechanical difference.

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 02:41
Exactly what I have been waiting for! Thank you!

I wanted to ask... Is it possible to add a Setting for the default Saves/Failures on Monsters/NPC's? Like dropping in a 30+ Kobold army and having to manually go into each and set it to 3 failures before the campaign starts is quite time consuming. That way if a DM wanted to give deathsaves to Important enemies, it would be easier to fix one mob verses 30.

Ask and you shall receive. The extension now supports death saving throws for important NPCs just the way you wanted it! Check out the OP for instructions on how to set it up.

Melborne
July 18th, 2019, 05:52
Brilliant, awesome so far I'm excited to use this for my next game. Can't wait to see the blood effects!

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 18th, 2019, 14:57
Brilliant, awesome so far I'm excited to use this for my next game. Can't wait to see the blood effects!

The blood effects vs. showing a tombstone is in the works. I'm still going through the blood splatter extension to see how to incorporate it into this one.

Valerian Stormbreaker
July 20th, 2019, 03:41

The blood splatter effects are now supported! As usual, check out the OP for instructions on how to set it up.

rob2e
July 20th, 2019, 04:08
Super sweet! ThanX Celestian, DiabloBob, and especially Valerian. This is great!

Melborne
July 20th, 2019, 05:03
Very cool, looks great!

Cailore
July 20th, 2019, 18:24
very nice addition.

Thanks.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 3rd, 2019, 16:26
Released version 2.0! Tokens are now supported as death indicators and you can now select your own!!! Check out the OP for instructions on how to set it up.

Blue Haven
August 3rd, 2019, 18:57
Sooo cooll!!! :P
It is possible to add this new stuff to the old ext file?? I mean the original of course...
Good work and Big Hugs :)

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 3rd, 2019, 22:03
Sooo cooll!!! :P
It is possible to add this new stuff to the old ext file?? I mean the original of course...
Good work and Big Hugs :)

Awe... ty! I'm not sure what you mean by adding this new stuff to the old ext file, but the OP has the latest .ext and.mod files. If you are talking about the tombstone tokens, you can create your own token module with custom death indicators and the extension will allow you to drop the new tokens onto the death indicator lists. So, it is fully customizable with the old functionality still supported ;)

Melborne
August 4th, 2019, 12:24
Very cool; Blown out of the park on this one. Looks great Valerian Stormbreaker!

celestian
August 4th, 2019, 20:14
Great stuff! The ability to customize the RIP widget is nice.

Zacchaeus
August 4th, 2019, 22:27
We noticed tonight during our game that when a player gets wounded their token on the CT and on the map gets changed to their portrait. For this to happen both the player(s) and the NPCs must be on a map (it doesn't seem to happen if you just drag/drop damage onto the target from the CT and neither players or NPCs are on the map.) I've subsequently tested in a new campaign with only this extension running and can reproduce the problem 100% of the time.

So:
1) Place PCs and NPCs on the CT
2) Drag PCs and NPCs onto the map
3) Apply damage to any PC

In fact all that needs to happen is for the DM to add an amount of damage into the CT wounds field of a PC - as long as the PC is on a map; it doesn't even need a wound from an NPC to happen.

Melborne
August 5th, 2019, 07:36
Can't say I can replicate that issue, but my characters are rolling 2 deathsaves while this extension is enabled.

Edit: While 'CT: Auto deathsave' is enabled, and even while PC Deathsave is enabled or disabled in this extension.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 5th, 2019, 12:46
We noticed tonight during our game that when a player gets wounded their token on the CT and on the map gets changed to their portrait. For this to happen both the player(s) and the NPCs must be on a map (it doesn't seem to happen if you just drag/drop damage onto the target from the CT and neither players or NPCs are on the map.) I've subsequently tested in a new campaign with only this extension running and can reproduce the problem 100% of the time.

So:

In fact all that needs to happen is for the DM to add an amount of damage into the CT wounds field of a PC - as long as the PC is on a map; it doesn't even need a wound from an NPC to happen.

I just got the ability to run a client and the server. So, I have noticed a lot of these issues and I have a fix going to be released soon. Sorry about that. Adding tokens makes the process a little more complex, but the code is just about there now that I can test a client along with the server.

Trenloe
August 5th, 2019, 19:35
FYI - you can test a client on the same computer as the GM server. Start another instance of FG on the same computer and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 5th, 2019, 22:33
FYI - you can test a client on the same computer as the GM server. Start another instance of FG on the same computer and "Join Game" with a server address of localhost

It's wasn't that. I just got a standard license recently. So, I can now run a client and the server.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 7th, 2019, 13:44
Ok. I was calling certain methods on the client that was intended for the host. So, things weren't working correctly. Now that I was able to test on a client and a server on the latest FG v3.3.8, the issues should be fixed. I have updated the version to v2.1. Let me know if you have any more issues. Enjoy!

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 7th, 2019, 15:33

So:

I finally got this fixed Zacchaeus. We have never used char tokens in game. So, I was unaware of that feature. This is fixed in v2.2 of the extension.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2019, 16:15
I finally got this fixed Zacchaeus. We have never used char tokens in game. So, I was unaware of that feature. This is fixed in v2.2 of the extension.

Jolly good, we'll give it a go next session.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 8th, 2019, 07:12
I know I update the extension quite a bit, but I promise this will be the last update for a while unless I have to fix a bug. Version 2.3 adds support for the GM to drag and drop tokens onto the token control on a player's character sheet to update the character's token on the map and in the combat tracker. I also fixed a few warnings that I was getting, which were harmless but still warranted being fixed. I also optimized the graphics in the extension and module resulting in much smaller .ext and .mod files. As usual, read the OP for more information.

mlesnews
August 8th, 2019, 21:58
Well done sir, thanks for all the hard work. For me at least, it really helps clarify the death states for both players and DM's.

Zacchaeus
August 11th, 2019, 22:14
Well done on fixing the issue with the player tokens changing to portraits when the player gets wounded.

However, I don't know if this is a consequence of the amendments you made or whether it is caused by the update of the client to 3.3.8., but the player's tokens are now bereft of all of the icons for their effects as well as their hit points bar; only their name remains. Monsters are similarly being deprived of all icons on them - again apart from their name. It is probably no coincidence that almost all of the options under Token (GM) are missing (only three remain, Auto-scale to grid, facing indicator and Show name). These are the options which show these icons, health bar etc.

Switching off your extension solves all of these issues.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 12th, 2019, 01:15
Well done on fixing the issue with the player tokens changing to portraits when the player gets wounded.

However, I don't know if this is a consequence of the amendments you made or whether it is caused by the update of the client to 3.3.8., but the player's tokens are now bereft of all of the icons for their effects as well as their hit points bar; only their name remains. Monsters are similarly being deprived of all icons on them - again apart from their name. It is probably no coincidence that almost all of the options under Token (GM) are missing (only three remain, Auto-scale to grid, facing indicator and Show name). These are the options which show these icons, health bar etc.

I was playing in a session today that ran my extension, and we had the same problems. I didn't intentionally hide any options or change settings, but I'm looking into it and will post a fix once it's ready.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 12th, 2019, 01:25

Ok. I figured out what happened. It has to do with how I had to get the tooltips working. I really need a few people who don't mind testing for me before I release. Intruder does test but he's been away. So, I could use a couple of more.

I have fixed the issue and will post an update tonight or tomorrow as soon as I get this new feature I'm working on finished. I'm letting GM's set the tombstone for PCs and Important NPCs if they want to. This feature will be off by default and can be turned on individually for PCs and NPCs. This will allow GMs to give players nicer tombstones as they level and emphasize the boss monster kill with a nice tombstone as well.

I added the link / shield icon for important NPCs without taking themes into consideration. Would you all like me to provide an option to turn that off so it renders the normal icon? I could try to support the different themes, but that becomes a real pain.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 18th, 2019, 07:23
Well done sir, thanks for all the hard work. For me at least, it really helps clarify the death states for both players and DM's.

You're welcome!!! As you know from playing in Intruder's campaign, your characters can easily die. Well, one night a player was down and had a tombstone because Intruder was using the original extension. So, I cast shatter and finished off all of the monsters but ended up actually killing this player's character. I simply thought he was already dead and forgot about the 3 saving throws. That's why I actually decided to modify Celestian's original code. So, that wouldn't happen anymore, and the extension has grown from there.

I have posted v3.0 that fixes the bug described by Zacchaeus. This version adds some cool new features as well as 10 more death indicator tokens. If you have any issues, please let me know. Enjoy!!!

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 19th, 2019, 17:17
Sorry everyone! I found and fixed a bug where the death indicator token was incorrectly rendered for the reference NPC window. It's not a serious bug. I just simply forgot to hide the death indicator token.

Normally, when I start a project like this, I would create design documentation like IPOs, flow charts, protocol maps, etc... Then, I would create test cases for the QA dept. However, I simply modified the original extension, and didn't expect it to grow into the extension as it is now. Going forward, I will start doing these things again. So, if anyone would like to help me test extensions and modules, I will create test cases for you and you will be able to get the extensions or modules that you test for free even if it is something that I sell.

Melborne
August 19th, 2019, 19:01
Downloaded the update from today, I haven't updated in quite a while; this string is from the Druid Wild Shape extension. If I load FG without this extension I don't get the error loading a character sheet, or if I load it with a previous version.
Script Error: [string "shifted"]:1: attempt to call field 'updateMenu' (a nil value)

Edit: This extension hasn't collided with anything before, I hadn't updated since "Important NPC's"

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 19th, 2019, 19:20
Downloaded the update from today, I haven't updated in quite a while; this string is from the Druid Wild Shape extension. If I load FG without this extension I don't get the error loading a character sheet, or if I load it with a previous version.
Edit: This extension hasn't collided with anything before, I hadn't updated since "Important NPC's"

I'll take a look at it. I added a menu item to clear the death indicators. So, that's most likely where the problem is. I also work with DiabloBob, so it shouldn't take too long to get it fixed. Thank you for letting me know.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 19th, 2019, 23:15

I downloaded and installed the Druid Wild Shape extension, I added debug messages for the updateMenu function, but everything works. I do not get any error messages running both extensions. Are you running the latest version of the Druid Wild Shape extension?

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 21st, 2019, 17:30
Added support for DiabloBob's Critically Awesome Essentials. Fixed the bug where druid wild shapes were being canceled if the druid took damage.

Melborne
August 21st, 2019, 18:46
Thanks again, Valerian; I wasn't able to re-create it either actually, not quite sure why. But thanks again for looking into it for me!

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 22nd, 2019, 15:18
Thanks again, Valerian; I wasn't able to re-create it either actually, not quite sure why. But thanks again for looking into it for me!

You are welcome! If you ever reproduce the bug, try to remember how it occurred and I'll try to reproduce it.

Forecaster
August 29th, 2019, 08:11
Would it be possible to have the extension not change the NPC's name or apply a death indicator if it's "immune" to the Unconscious condition?

I like using an effect that applies `IMMUNE: unconscious` to very important NPC's that I don't want the players to be able to tell exactly when they go down so I have time to narrate it. And unfortunately the extension kind of bypasses that since it seems to just apply when someone goes to 0 HP.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 29th, 2019, 15:29
Would it be possible to have the extension not change the NPC's name or apply a death indicator if it's "immune" to the Unconscious condition?

I like using an effect that applies `IMMUNE: unconscious` to very important NPC's that I don't want the players to be able to tell exactly when they go down so I have time to narrate it. And unfortunately the extension kind of bypasses that since it seems to just apply when someone goes to 0 HP.

I have a new version coming out soon for this extension to allow it to play well with another extension. So, I could add a check for your IMMUNE: unconscious effect, but how should I handle that? First, you can give important NPCs death saving throws. So, they won't go down when their HP reaches zero. If blood & tomb is enabled, they will show blood splats when they are dying and a tombstone when they are dead (failed all 3 saves). If only tombstone is enabled, you don't get the blood splats, but you still get the tombstone when the important NPC actually dies. I just need to know how to handle the IMMUNE: unconscious effect.

Forecaster
August 29th, 2019, 16:07
they won't go down when their HP reaches zero. If blood & tomb is enabled, they will show blood splats when they are dying and a tombstone when they are dead

You are right, but it still changes the NPC's name to "npc_name is dying", which is an obvious giveaway that they went to 0 HP.

The reason I'm using the immunity is that it prevents FG from adding an "unconscious" effect to the NPC which is usually a tell to a player who's looking at the CT that they're down. Adding "is dying" or "is dead" to the name obviously bypasses that. If you added a condition that prevents it from doing that or the tombstone thing (I'd like to have that enabled) if the NPC is "immune to unconscious" that'd be great! It could be a setting that is off by default.

It's a fairly rare immunity. I believe certain elementals have it. Those that simply dissipate when defeated and don't go unconscious.

Also, while I'm at it, I'd love if I could have it say "npc_name (dying)" and "npc_name (dead)" instead of "npc_name is dying" and "npc_name is dead", because to me the latter seems like it's part of the name and it seems wrong. If there was an option to switch between those that'd be awesome.

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 29th, 2019, 17:40
You are right, but it still changes the NPC's name to "npc_name is dying", which is an obvious giveaway that they went to 0 HP.

The reason I'm using the immunity is that it prevents FG from adding an "unconscious" effect to the NPC which is usually a tell to a player who's looking at the CT that they're down. Adding "is dying" or "is dead" to the name obviously bypasses that. If you added a condition that prevents it from doing that or the tombstone thing (I'd like to have that enabled) if the NPC is "immune to unconscious" that'd be great! It could be a setting that is off by default.

It's a fairly rare immunity. I believe certain elementals have it. Those that simply dissipate when defeated and don't go unconscious.

Also, while I'm at it, I'd love if I could have it say "npc_name (dying)" and "npc_name (dead)" instead of "npc_name is dying" and "npc_name is dead", because to me the latter seems like it's part of the name and it seems wrong. If there was an option to switch between those that'd be awesome.

Adding support for the IMMUNE: unconscious effect is the way to go. The immunity will prevent the death indicators and blood splats from showing and will not affect the tooltips i.e. "npc_name is dying" or "npc_name is dead" will just show the name as normal. I'll add an option that toggles the tooltip text style so that you can choose "npc_name is [status]" or "npc_name ([status])". I'll also add an option to enable handling the IMMUNE: unconscious effect so it can be turned on or off.

Once Diablobob and I get the bug fixed to allow Death Indicators to play nice with Diablobob's Critically Awesome Essentials (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261591/Critically-Awesome-Essentials--One-Click-Druid-Fantasy-Grounds) extension, I'll update the extension to include the IMMUNE: unconscious effect as discussed. Thank you for the suggestion. It really is a good idea that I haven't considered because I'm relatively new to Fantasy Grounds and I'm still learning what it can do.

Also, don't forget that you can use any token as a death indicator. I realize that you may not have tokens for everything, but you could have the death indicator token for an elemental be something else entirely. Just enable the NPC: Preset death indicator option and drag whatever token you want onto the death indicator token control in NPC sheet for the elemental.

Forecaster
August 29th, 2019, 23:13
Adding support for the IMMUNE: unconscious effect is the way to go. The immunity will prevent the death indicators and blood splats from showing and will not affect the tooltips i.e. "npc_name is dying" or "npc_name is dead" will just show the name as normal. I'll add an option that toggles the tooltip text style so that you can choose "npc_name is [status]" or "npc_name ([status])". I'll also add an option to enable handling the IMMUNE: unconscious effect so it can be turned on or off.

Once Diablobob and I get the bug fixed to allow Death Indicators to play nice with Diablobob's Critically Awesome Essentials (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261591/Critically-Awesome-Essentials--One-Click-Druid-Fantasy-Grounds) extension, I'll update the extension to include the IMMUNE: unconscious effect as discussed. Thank you for the suggestion. It really is a good idea that I haven't considered because I'm relatively new to Fantasy Grounds and I'm still learning what it can do.

Also, don't forget that you can use any token as a death indicator. I realize that you may not have tokens for everything, but you could have the death indicator token for an elemental be something else entirely. Just enable the NPC: Preset death indicator option and drag whatever token you want onto the death indicator token control in NPC sheet for the elemental.

Sounds good! It would be good if there was a way to "kill" the NPC manually once I'm done narrating their demise!

Valerian Stormbreaker
August 30th, 2019, 02:17
Sounds good! It would be good if there was a way to "kill" the NPC manually once I'm done narrating their demise!

Just remove the IMMUNE: unconscious effect and it will update the display with a tombstone or whatever you have configured.

Forecaster
August 30th, 2019, 08:08
Just remove the IMMUNE: unconscious effect and it will update the display with a tombstone or whatever you have configured.

Perfect, I didn't know if it'd just trigger when going to 0 HP

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 1st, 2019, 18:24
The reason I'm using the immunity is that it prevents FG from adding an "unconscious" effect to the NPC which is usually a tell to a player who's looking at the CT that they're down.

I'm almost finished with everything. However, FG still sets the status text and shows chat messages that state the combatant is dying or dead even though the NPC has IMMUNE: unconscious. Of course, I can go in and add checks for that effect and prevent those messages and status changes to keep it from saying Dying or Dead. That would fall more in line with what you are wanting. If so, let me know and I'll make those changes real quick.

MarianDz
September 2nd, 2019, 06:58
Great work Valerian, thumb up!

Forecaster
September 2nd, 2019, 09:00
I'm almost finished with everything. However, FG still sets the status text and shows chat messages that state the combatant is dying or dead even though the NPC has IMMUNE: unconscious. Of course, I can go in and add checks for that effect and prevent those messages and status changes to keep it from saying Dying or Dead. That would fall more in line with what you are wanting. If so, let me know and I'll make those changes real quick.

It says something like
[DAMAGE EXCEEDS HIT POINTS BY 6] to the players, that's the only one I can see. If you can suppress that then you may, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm fine with that being a tell as long as there's no text or status on the CT entry or token that says "Hey I'm dead" until I want it to. :)

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 2nd, 2019, 13:38
It says something like to the players, that the only one I can see. If you can suppress that then you may, but I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm fine with that being a tell as long as there's no text or status on the CT entry or token that says "Hey I'm dead" until I want it to. :)

I went ahead and suppressed the messages. The damage exceeds HP and the instant death messages no longer show for someone that has the IMMUNE: unconscious effect. The status also stops at critical too until you remove the effect. I just have to make sure the text color goes to grey when you remove the effect and they are dead (PC or NPC). The update is almost ready. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it and post it today or tonight.

Forecaster
September 2nd, 2019, 13:39
Sounds great! Can't wait, excellent work!

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 6th, 2019, 14:42
Just want to give everyone an update on where I am at on releasing the next version of the Death Indicator extension. Originally, I only planned on releasing a bug fix for Diablobob's Critically Awesome Essentials (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/261591/Critically-Awesome-Essentials--One-Click-Druid-Fantasy-Grounds) extension, but then I got a few requests for new features. So, I decided to package everything up in the next release. However, the coding for this has taken some time and there are people waiting for the bug fix for Diablobob's extension. Therefore, I am going to do a minor release, v3.3, for this bug fix and then do a major release, v4.0, for the new features that you all have been patiently waiting for. The following is a list of what you can expect for each version.

Features v3.3

Fixed a bug that causes NPC tokens that represent a shape change using Diablobob's Critically Awesome Essentials to revert back to their original token. The previous release of the Death Indicator extension only fixed the issue for the player character tokens. The node value that I was checking only existed for PCs. So, I am now checking the effects applied to a combatant in the combat tracker. This works for PCs and NPCs.

Features v4.0

As requested by Forecaster, I added support for the IMMUNE: unconscious effect applied to PCs and NPCs. A combatant with this effect will not die when reaching 0 hp and failing all 3 death saves. The chat messages for combat and the status of a combatant with this effect have been modified so that players still see them as being alive; death messages are no longer displayed and the status stops at critical. The GM can role play this by having the combatant escape only to be fought at a later time or by requiring the players to use a special item to kill them. Either way, once the GM decides this combatant is dead, they simply have to remove the IMMUNE: unconscious effect and the extension will display the appropriate graphics and chat messages based on the combatant's health. This feature can be turned on or off using the option Indicator: Enable immune.

As requested by Forecaster, I added the Indicator: Tooltip style option that enables the standard tooltips, "[name] is dying" or "[name] is dead", or shows the tooltip as a status message, "[name] (dying)" or "[name] (dead)".

As requested by AngryMrClean, I removed the CT: Auto death rolls option and added separate NPC: Auto death rolls and PC: Auto death rolls options. This allows the GM to enable automatic NPC death save rolls while allowing the players to roll their own death saving throws.

As requested by AusHope, I have added support for custom NPC tokens. The way the extension used to work is, if you used a custom token for the NPC and it takes damage, it will revert the NPC's token back to the original token. To fix this bug, I added two methods for using a custom NPC token:

The first method is to either drop the token onto the token control displayed in the combat tracker for the NPC or if the NPC sheet from the combat tracker is open, you can drop the custom token onto the header or token control. This will only update the token for this instance of the NPC. Once the NPC is removed from the combat tracker and consequently the map, the custom token will no longer be displayed. You can also clear the custom token for the NPC by right clicking the token control and choosing Reset token from the menu.

The second method is to open the NPC window using the button on the sidebar, locate and open the NPC sheet for the creature, and drop the custom token onto the header or token control located there. This will update the token for all instances of the NPC that exists or will exist in the future. As with the first method, you can clear the custom token for the NPC by right clicking the token control in the NPC sheet and choosing Reset token from the menu. However, this will reset the token for all instances of the NPC.

mattekure
September 14th, 2019, 19:58
I am trying to use both the death indicator extension and the LDTE extension and I am running into a minor display issue when both extensions are enabled. They both seem to be tweaking the same rough area of the char sheet, so I am hoping that you two authors can work together to make them compatible with each other. I am posting this same message in both threads.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49997-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death-(Extended-Version)/
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48160-Local-Dice-Tower-Extension-(LDTE)/

The issue is that when both are enabled, it cases the LDTE tower symbol to overlap the Inspiration points making them impossible to use.
With only Death indicator enabled.
With only LDTE enabled

with both enabled.

Thank you both

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 14th, 2019, 22:19
I am trying to use both the death indicator extension and the LDTE extension and I am running into a minor display issue when both extensions are enabled. They both seem to be tweaking the same rough area of the char sheet, so I am hoping that you two authors can work together to make them compatible with each other. I am posting this same message in both threads.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?49997-5E-Map-Indicator-for-Death-(Extended-Version)/
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48160-Local-Dice-Tower-Extension-(LDTE)/

The issue is that when both are enabled, it cases the LDTE tower symbol to overlap the Inspiration points making them impossible to use.
With only Death indicator enabled.
With only LDTE enabled

with both enabled.

Thank you both

You're in luck, because I have already programmed the fix for this issue. It will be in my next release, which is coming very soon.

mattekure
September 14th, 2019, 23:09
Awesome, thank you very much.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 15th, 2019, 04:44
Version 4.0 has been released. As stated before:

Features v4.0

As requested by Forecaster, I added support for the IMMUNE: unconscious effect applied to PCs and NPCs. A combatant with this effect will not die when reaching 0 hp and failing all 3 death saves. The chat messages for combat and the status of a combatant with this effect have been modified so that players still see them as being alive; death messages are no longer displayed and the status stops at critical. The GM can role play this by having the combatant escape only to be fought at a later time or by requiring the players to use a special item to kill them. Either way, once the GM decides this combatant is dead, they simply have to remove the IMMUNE: unconscious effect and the extension will display the appropriate graphics and chat messages based on the combatant's health. This feature can be turned on or off using the option Indicator: Enable immune.

As requested by Forecaster, I added the Indicator: Tooltip style option that enables the standard tooltips, "[name] is dying" or "[name] is dead", or shows the tooltip as a status message, "[name] (dying)" or "[name] (dead)".

As requested by AngryMrClean, I removed the CT: Auto death rolls option and added separate NPC: Auto death rolls and PC: Auto death rolls options. This allows the GM to enable automatic NPC death save rolls while allowing the players to roll their own death saving throws.

As requested by AusHope, I have added support for custom NPC tokens. The way the extension used to work is, if you used a custom token for the NPC and it takes damage, it will revert the NPC's token back to the original token. To fix this bug, I added two methods for using a custom NPC token:

The first method is to either drop the token onto the token control displayed in the combat tracker for the NPC or if the NPC sheet from the combat tracker is open, you can drop the custom token onto the header or token control. This will only update the token for this instance of the NPC. Once the NPC is removed from the combat tracker and consequently the map, the custom token will no longer be displayed. You can also clear the custom token for the NPC by right clicking the token control and choosing Reset token from the menu.

The second method is to open the NPC window using the button on the sidebar, locate and open the NPC sheet for the creature, and drop the custom token onto the header or token control located there. This will update the token for all instances of the NPC that exists or will exist in the future. As with the first method, you can clear the custom token for the NPC by right clicking the token control in the NPC sheet and choosing Reset token from the menu. However, this will reset the token for all instances of the NPC.

I have also fixed the issue with the LTDE tower extension. That extension will now render correctly when used with the Death Indicator extension.

mattekure
September 15th, 2019, 15:08
Thanks very much for the fix. There is still appears to be one incompatibility bug with LDTE.

When the option PC: Preset death indicator is turned on, then everything looks good.

But if that option is turned off, the overlap occurs again.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 15th, 2019, 19:45
Thanks very much for the fix. There is still appears to be one incompatibility bug with LDTE.

When the option PC: Preset death indicator is turned on, then everything looks good.

But if that option is turned off, the overlap occurs again.

Sorry about that. I thought I had tested it when that option was turned off, but I must not have. Anyways, I have fixed the issue and have posted an update for that fix in v4.1.

MrDDT
September 15th, 2019, 19:49
Thank you so much for all the work you do on this stuff.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 16th, 2019, 22:13
Thank you so much for all the work you do on this stuff.

You are very welcome MrDDT. I love D&D and Fantasy Grounds! I just wish I had known about FG a long time ago, but it's never too late to get in on the action. I'm just happy that I can apply my 18 years of professional software engineering experience to create awesome and useful extensions that enhance game play and make our lives easier. If it wasn't for my bad hip, I'd apply to SmiteWorks for any job they have available just to get my foot in the door with them. However, I'm only able to work about 3 - 4 hours at a time before I have to lie down because I'm in horrible pain. So, I'll settle for developing extensions because I'd hate to land a job with them only to not be able to keep it due to this faulty hip replacement of mine.

Forecaster
September 17th, 2019, 08:42
I've run into a bit of an odd case. It seems when an NPC is added to the CT and doesn't have a token already set, FG automatically (or one of my extensions is doing it, not sure) assigns it a letter token based on the first letter of it's name.

However when the creature dies and gets the tombstone token, and is then revived the creature retains the tombstone, I presume because the extension doesn't find a token to change back to.

Just wondering if you are aware of this occurrence. Not sure what the best solution would be.

It took me a few minutes to realize that the cause was that the creature didn't have a token set by default and was given one when added to the CT.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 17th, 2019, 17:39
I've run into a bit of an odd case. It seems when an NPC is added to the CT and doesn't have a token already set, FG automatically (or one of my extensions is doing it, not sure) assigns it a letter token based on the first letter of it's name.

However when the creature dies and gets the tombstone token, and is then revived the creature retains the tombstone, I presume because the extension doesn't find a token to change back to.

Just wondering if you are aware of this occurrence. Not sure what the best solution would be.

It took me a few minutes to realize that the cause was that the creature didn't have a token set by default and was given one when added to the CT.

I wasn't aware that this caused an issue with the extension. I'll take a look at it and see what I can do.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 18th, 2019, 20:04
When the creature dies and gets the tombstone token, and is then revived the creature retains the tombstone, I presume because the extension doesn't find a token to change back to.

I have fixed the issue where NPCs without a token continue to display the death indicator after being resurrected / healed. The new version is 4.2. Thank you for finding this bug!

skj310
September 21st, 2019, 09:07
Great extension! Just thought that I'd mention there's a HeroPoints5e.ext from "DIE Hard Gaming" that has the exact same issue as LDTE extension mentioned in this post.
I know there's always a risk with incompatible extensions, overlap and what not ... but just thought i'd give the lowdown...

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 21st, 2019, 15:44
Great extension! Just thought that I'd mention there's a HeroPoints5e.ext from "DIE Hard Gaming" that has the exact same issue as LDTE extension mentioned in this post.
I know there's always a risk with incompatible extensions, overlap and what not ... but just thought i'd give the lowdown...

Yeah, it's difficult to support every extension out there, but I downloaded HeroPoint5e.ext and will take a look at it for you. I'm sure I can add a fix for this as well.

MrDDT
September 21st, 2019, 16:23
I'm getting these errors when I add people to the CT.

Script Error: [string "ct/scripts/ct_entry.lua"]:36: attempt to call field 'onPlacementChanged' (a nil value)
Runtime Notice: s'DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid combat tracker token'

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 21st, 2019, 17:14

Thanks for reporting this bug MrDDT. I'll take a look at it and add the fix to the next update.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 21st, 2019, 17:41

I've searched my extension, 5E and the CoreRPG ruleset and I cannot find the onPlacementChanged function. Tracing the updateCombatantTooltip function we get:

function updateCombatantTooltip(nodeCT)

-- Validate the nodeCT parameter

if not nodeCT then
Debug.console("DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid nodeCT parameter");
return;
end

-- Retrieve the combat tracker token

local tokenCT = CombatManager.getTokenFromCT(nodeCT);

if not tokenCT then
Debug.console("DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid combat tracker token");
return;
end

-- Update the tooltip

TokenManager2.updateTooltip(tokenCT, nodeCT);

end

The error is coming from the CoreRPG ruleset's CombatManager.getTokenFromCT function:

function getTokenFromCT(vEntry)

local nodeCT = nil;
if type(vEntry) == "string" then
nodeCT = DB.findNode(vEntry);
elseif type(vEntry) == "databasenode" then
nodeCT = vEntry;
end

if not nodeCT then
return nil;
end

return Token.getToken(DB.getValue(nodeCT, "tokenrefnode", ""), DB.getValue(nodeCT, "tokenrefid", ""));

end

The onPlacementChanged method that is causing the error is from an extension you are running that I am not. It sounds like this extension is handling an event when you place a token onto the map or move it, but the onPlacementChanged function is missing. This is why it is saying that it is nil: attempt to call field 'onPlacementChanged' (a nil value). If you can tell me which extensions you are running, I can load them up and try to reproduce the error. Then, I can tell if it is a problem in my extension or if the problem lies elsewhere. Either way, I might be able to fix it within the DeathIndicatorEx extension if I could reproduce the issue.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 21st, 2019, 18:15

I have fixed this issue and will include the fix in my next update.

https://i.imgur.com/vi0qXEI.png

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 21st, 2019, 22:32
Ok... I believe I have all of the problems fixed. I'm just waiting on MrDDT to get back with me so I can have him test the fix for his problem, and then I'll release an updated version. If anyone else has any issues they need me to look into, now is the time! So, don't be shy.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 21st, 2019, 23:30
I have fixed an issue with the HeroPoints5e extension that was the same as the LTDE ext., fixed an error that pops up due to problems with the Combat Enhancer, and fixed an error that pops up when a player rotates their token. MrDDT and I tested the fix for the error that occurs with the Combat Enhancer. So, everything should be good. As usual, download the latest version from the OP, and let me know if you all find any more issues. Thank you!

MrDDT
September 21st, 2019, 23:32
Thanks again Valerian. Thanks for all your hard work.

Dax Doomslayer
September 25th, 2019, 14:38
Hi,
I'm trying to 'check out' this module & extension and I can't seem to get it to work. I think it's something simple that I'm missing (hopefully). I'm using 5E Rules set. I've downloaded both the module and extension and placed each in the appropriate folder. I see the options appear in the Options section. I have the options set at: Blood&Tomb; On; Standard; On; Important; On; On; On; On; All and Configured. When I open the Token Library, I do have the 'Death' option. I also have the little 'grim reaper' picture showing up on the character sheet. However, when I click on the Death Token Library - it's empty. There are no tokens to choose from. What am I doing incorrect here? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 25th, 2019, 20:10
Hi,
I'm trying to 'check out' this module & extension and I can't seem to get it to work. I think it's something simple that I'm missing (hopefully). I'm using 5E Rules set. I've downloaded both the module and extension and placed each in the appropriate folder. I see the options appear in the Options section. I have the options set at: Blood&Tomb; On; Standard; On; Important; On; On; On; On; All and Configured. When I open the Token Library, I do have the 'Death' option. I also have the little 'grim reaper' picture showing up on the character sheet. However, when I click on the Death Token Library - it's empty. There are no tokens to choose from. What am I doing incorrect here? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Try this, open the Tokens window and click the Modules button. Then, unload and reload the Death Indicator Tokens module. This is the first time that I've heard of someone having this issue, and I'm certain that it isn't a bug in the extension. So, if that doesn't fix it, then perhaps you are running out of resources / memory. You can try to clear the cache to see if that helps.

Dax Doomslayer
September 25th, 2019, 20:34
Thanks Valerian. That didn't seem to help unfortunately. I don't think it's a memory thing as best I can tell. No worries. I was just checking it out as it looks pretty cool.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 25th, 2019, 20:44
Thanks Valerian. That didn't seem to help unfortunately. I don't think it's a memory thing as best I can tell. No worries. I was just checking it out as it looks pretty cool.

Do you have problems loading other token modules? The extension code can't affect that because it's a separate thing altogether.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 29th, 2019, 02:14
Laerun from the Fantasy Grounds College was having a problem with custom NPC tokens set in the encounter window reverting back to the original when the NPCs took damage. I did not realize that you could set custom tokens for NPCs in the encounter window, but I've added support for it and have fixed the issue. I also added a cover sheet to the ReadMe.pdf file. There are several token features such as custom PC and NPC token features that are built into the extension because I'm already manipulating tokens, and the PDF details every feature. Enjoy the extension and many great games of D&D.

phillgamboa
September 29th, 2019, 04:05
Any chance this compatible to Pathfinder 2E ruleset?

LordEntrails
September 29th, 2019, 05:59
Nope. Though I'm sure Valerian would help anyone who wants to port it over to that ruleset. Existing P2F extensions are listed here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?50316-Pathfinder-Second-Edition-community-extensions

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 29th, 2019, 17:42

I can take a look at Pathfinder 2E ruleset and see if I can port it. I'm not sure if it has death saving throws. So, it might take me a little bit to rework the code.

Bidmaron
September 30th, 2019, 00:32
Death in PF2 is very complicated. Would be glad to see you do this but it is way harder than just a saving throw

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 30th, 2019, 15:36
Death in PF2 is very complicated. Would be glad to see you do this but it is way harder than just a saving throw

Can anyone explain how PF2 works regarding the death saves in FG? I created a test campaign and read about the 4 death saves before dying, but I can't find the death save controls in FG. The dying field doesn't seem to do anything once a player reaches 0 hp. So, I must not be using it correctly. Of course, I've never played PF2.

Trenloe
September 30th, 2019, 16:07
Can anyone explain how PF2 works regarding the death saves in FG?
It's manual at this point. So I'd recommend holding off doing anything deeply involved with the PF2 dying functionality. Unless you just track "dying", but there are feats that change the value that the PC actually dies - I'll be adding a field for this at some point when I provide more dying functionality in the ruleset.

Valerian Stormbreaker
September 30th, 2019, 16:33
It's manual at this point. So I'd recommend holding off doing anything deeply involved with the PF2 dying functionality. Unless you just track "dying", but there are feats that change the value that the PC actually dies - I'll be adding a field for this at some point when I provide more dying functionality in the ruleset.

Awesome!!! Thank you Trenloe! I'll be waiting for your updates.

skj310
October 6th, 2019, 13:54
I have fixed an issue with the HeroPoints5e extension that was the same as the LTDE ext., fixed an error that pops up due to problems with the Combat Enhancer, and fixed an error that pops up when a player rotates their token. MrDDT and I tested the fix for the error that occurs with the Combat Enhancer. So, everything should be good. As usual, download the latest version from the OP, and let me know if you all find any more issues. Thank you!

Amazing work and many thx! Didn't expect you to, and so am very happy to see that you did! Well done sir!

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 11th, 2019, 04:11
Amazing work and many thx! Didn't expect you to, and so am very happy to see that you did! Well done sir!

You are welcome! I try to stay on top of issues and fix them as soon as they are reported.

Melborne
October 11th, 2019, 15:02
Valerian, would it be possible to set the DC for Deathsaving throws? :) Thanks again, lovin' this extension.

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 11th, 2019, 18:25
Valerian, would it be possible to set the DC for Deathsaving throws? :) Thanks again, lovin' this extension.

I'm not sure how to set the DC for death saving throws in FG. I think you can use the modifiers, but it is based on the 5E ruleset. I can look into it for you and see what we can do about setting it manually.

Frank_Jager
October 12th, 2019, 20:28
Hi Valerian.

Using the Combat Enhancer, LTDE v0.0.7, Vitality and Improved Critical and this mod results in behavior where this mod overwrites the changes made by all the others.

Could you recommend a load order in which these could all work in harmony?

I understand you have de-bugged the issue where LTDE and Death indicators shared the same space on the character sheets. And have also fixed errors with the Combat Extended mod.

Was also hoping to get some support with this issue. I believe the problem is actually the Vitality & Improved Critical mod, and will be posting the issue there, but was hoping you could provide a pointer to a temporary fix.

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 12th, 2019, 21:33
Hi Valerian.

Using the Combat Enhancer, LTDE v0.0.7, Vitality and Improved Critical and this mod results in behavior where this mod overwrites the changes made by all the others.

Could you recommend a load order in which these could all work in harmony?

I understand you have de-bugged the issue where LTDE and Death indicators shared the same space on the character sheets. And have also fixed errors with the Combat Extended mod.

Was also hoping to get some support with this issue. I believe the problem is actually the Vitality & Improved Critical mod, and will be posting the issue there, but was hoping you could provide a pointer to a temporary fix.

I did not make Death Indicators Ex compatible with the Combat Enhancer. I merely fixed an error message that was popping up. The CE extension messes with everything, and truly supporting it is very complicated. I can take a look at the Vitality and Improved Critical and see what I can do. I'm currently working on my next extension, which I need to get done because I'm working with Diablobob, but I will get to this as soon as I can.

Frank_Jager
October 16th, 2019, 23:26
Thanks for the reply Valerian!

Don't expect you to make any changes was just wondering if loading this after Combat Enhancer would have any effect?

Anyhoo, good luck with the newer extension i'm sure it will be a welcome addition to my list.

MrDDT
October 16th, 2019, 23:28

Don't expect you to make any changes was just wondering if loading this after Combat Enhancer would have any effect?

Anyhoo, good luck with the newer extension i'm sure it will be a welcome addition to my list.

I think we going to have to give up wanting it to work with CE because CE has so many issues with this that intertwine.

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 17th, 2019, 23:23

Yeah, the Combat Enhancer extension messes with too much stuff and is difficult to try and make things compatible with it. Plus, once FG:U arrives, it will go away because, from what I've heard, it's no longer being supported. However, once I'm done with my latest extension, I will come back and see what I can do for you all in dealing with CE.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2019, 23:36
Plus, once FG:U arrives, it will go away because, from what I've heard, it's no longer being supported.
Yeah.

But it will be replace with.... this! https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51353-5E-Enhancer

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 18th, 2019, 09:46
Yeah.

But it will be replace with.... this! https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51353-5E-Enhancer

Neat! I'll have to check it out.

smeevil
October 19th, 2019, 02:32
Looking forward to this for PF2 once the dying functionality is implemented :) Thank you for your time and effort in making this so awesome !

Trenloe
October 19th, 2019, 06:54
Looking forward to this for PF2 once the dying functionality is implemented :)
The data fields for tracking dying for PCs are there in PFRPG2, filling out the data is manual right now. But that doesn't restrict implementation of this extension in PFRPG2 because the data will be the same - whether it's manually entered or through future automation. And that’s just for PC death. 99% of the usual use for this extension is showing dead NPCs and that hasn’t changed from any edition - 0 HP = dead NPC.

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 20th, 2019, 16:55
The data fields for tracking dying for PCs are there in PFRPG2, filling out the data is manual right now. But that doesn't restrict implementation of this extension in PFRPG2 because the data will be the same - whether it's manually entered or through future automation. And that’s just for PC death. 99% of the usual use for this extension is showing dead NPCs and that hasn’t changed from any edition - 0 HP = dead NPC.

I'll will get this implemented into PF2 once I'm done with my latest extension.

Larsenex
October 30th, 2019, 23:04
Is there a basic version of this that will work with Pathfinder 2E?

While we have a 'at deaths door' type which is similar to 5e, just having a tombstone pop up and replace the token at npc death would be a huge improvement.

Valerian Stormbreaker
October 31st, 2019, 04:19
Is there a basic version of this that will work with Pathfinder 2E?

While we have a 'at deaths door' type which is similar to 5e, just having a tombstone pop up and replace the token at npc death would be a huge improvement.

Diablobob and I are about to release our Navigator / Portals extension. We've put a lot of work into it and it really is amazing!!! So, once we are finished with that extension, I will add support for Pathfinder 2E. Please be patient :)

Larsenex
October 31st, 2019, 12:24
You and Daiblobob are amazing! Thank you for the response and I am happy to know its coming!

Auk21
November 16th, 2019, 14:28
hi,

after FG new update to 3.3.9, the button in token for GM, SHARED, STORE are missing.!30292

Valerian Stormbreaker
November 16th, 2019, 17:33
hi,

after FG new update to 3.3.9, the button in token for GM, SHARED, STORE are missing.!30292

Okay. I'll take a look at it. Thanks for reporting the issue!

AusHope
November 28th, 2019, 08:18
Love your death indicator, Would it be possible for you to put a date somewhere with the version so we know if it is new? :)

Larsenex
November 29th, 2019, 13:11
Valerian,

This extension is awesome. Do you have any idea when it can be updated for Pathfinder 2nd Edition?

Valerian Stormbreaker
November 29th, 2019, 18:02
Bare with me for a little longer. Probably for another month or so. Diablobob and I are almost done with the Portals extension! After that, I will work on the 3.3.9 issue and create a PF2 port.

Ulric
December 17th, 2019, 22:50
Bare with me for a little longer. Probably for another month or so. Diablobob and I are almost done with the Portals extension! After that, I will work on the 3.3.9 issue and create a PF2 port.

If you have time could you please add Starfinder RPG to you extension? Starfinder has the dying effect built into the ruleset.

Larsenex
January 7th, 2020, 19:55
Just checking in. Pathfinder 2E DM here.

Morhion
January 25th, 2020, 22:11
any hint as to when this might get some love for 3.3.9 5th ed <3

Naroe
March 19th, 2020, 12:25
Is there an update for FGU as I get following error using original files
[3/19/2020 9:53:37 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/19/2020 9:53:37 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Extension Info Load (DeathIndicatorEx): An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 1, position 5.

Larsenex
March 19th, 2020, 13:33
I am geting the same error message and I am using this extension for Pathfinder 2E. I suspect the token/image for it needs to be placed in another folder.

Trenloe
March 19th, 2020, 14:11
The extension needs up dating so that it adheres to the more stringent XML requirements of FG Unity.

Tammel
March 27th, 2020, 18:57
to bad it does not work in unity

phillgamboa
March 29th, 2020, 13:36
Someone have this compatible to Pathfinder 2e?

zuilin
March 30th, 2020, 19:42
Any word on whether or not compatibility with Combat Enhancer has ever been done? (I looked through all previous posts and saw that it might be on the radar, but no timeframe).

AusHope
March 30th, 2020, 22:43
Hey all,

Please keep in mind this is a free labour of love created by someone who has chosen to gift something to the FG community, if you were paying for this on DM Guild or something and it stopped working, that would be different.

If you really want to hit someone up about not having a death indicator for Unity, perhaps ask smiteworks to buy this code/IP and include it as a core function for 5e, hit up paizo to add it to Pathfinder they have their own devs. We all know how important a death indicator is and how much more difficult it is to run a game without it, i'm sure if enough people ask for it, once they have unity working 100%, they will consider it as an enchacment. I can't remember exactly where it is, but somewhere there is a site where you can suggest and vote for future enchancements for FG, perhaps start there.

Larsenex
March 30th, 2020, 23:14
This extension works for me 'as is' in both classic and unity for pathfinder 2E.

I get an error, i ignore the error, it works. The overlay tombstone is a bit light but it works.

Lou Ciphor
April 1st, 2020, 00:28
Updated and fixed for FGU. I take no credit for the original work.

Only tested in 5E on FGC and FGU.

EDIT: Removed link, as this extension is no longer officially supported, is known to break other current extensions, is not compatible with Unity (which is BETA, folks...stop forgetting that!), and there are other extension that do this and more.

Houndy
April 1st, 2020, 10:51
Updated and fixed for FGU. I take no credit for the original work.

Only tested in 5E on FGC and FGU.

Map Indicator for Death (Extended Version) (https://www.dropbox.com/s/kybatcx9nzfc1u1/Map%20Indicator%20for%20Death%20%28Extended%20Vers ion%29.zip?dl=1)

Seems to work well for me, thank you to you and to Valerian :).

I did get some error at some point, but didnt seem to affect anything and cant recreate it. Something to do with token. Will let you know if it comes up again :)

Trenloe
April 1st, 2020, 12:17
... hit up paizo to add it to Pathfinder they have their own devs.
FYI: Paizo don't have anything to do with developing their products on FG. They license it to SmiteWorks and community (i.e not full time) devs do all the work. All Paizo do is QA the products before release, which really just covers them checking their IP, credits and look/feel.

Lou Ciphor
April 1st, 2020, 13:46
Seems to work well for me, thank you to you and to Valerian :).

I did get some error at some point, but didnt seem to affect anything and cant recreate it. Something to do with token. Will let you know if it comes up again :)

Thanks. If it does happen again, please note which ruleset and how to recreate it. In the meantime, Enjoy!

Naroe
April 4th, 2020, 15:16
Running 5E

Update works well but just found an issue.
clicked on assets for players and get the following Nil Value Error (players as in from player side not host side)

[4/5/2020 12:45:18 AM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "utility/scripts/utility_tokenbag.lua"]:38: attempt to index global 'button_tokens_host' (a nil value)

Larsenex
April 4th, 2020, 15:30
The zipped file contains both an extention and a module. Is this done to help FGU see where certain files are? I was using the 'core rpg' death indicator for Pathfinder 2e and it was 'showing up' in the extension list. This new one does not show for me using Pathfinder 2E is there a way I can tinker with it so it will show up for other game systems?

Ah I see that is is only for 5E and thus would not show up for other rulesets. > How hard is it to modify this for P2? Is there a reason why there are both a module and an extension of the item? Does Unity need both?

Mazzar
April 5th, 2020, 21:45
I am getting errors in the logs when opening the Assets button in FGU

[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] s'DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid combat tracker token'
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] s'DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid combat tracker token'
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] s'NpcTokenManager.getConfiguredNpcToken: Invalid reference NPC node'
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] s'DeathIndicatorManager.replaceToken: Invalid token string parameter'
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] s'NpcTokenManager.getConfiguredNpcToken: Invalid reference NPC node'
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] s'DeathIndicatorManager.replaceToken: Invalid token string parameter'
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] [WARNING] Frame hotkeytitlebox contains out-of-range values in Middle.
[4/5/2020 4:44:11 PM] [WARNING] Frame hotkeytitlebox contains out-of-range values in Right.
[4/5/2020 4:44:16 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Script execution error: [string "utility/scripts/utility_tokenbag.lua"]:26: attempt to index global 'button_tokens_host' (a nil value)
[4/5/2020 4:44:29 PM] Noble Connect [98861]: Sending REFRESH REQUEST [1d1c2ec0cee96e4d62ed1182] from 192.168.1.184:65243 to 68.183.117.123:3478
[4/5/2020 4:44:29 PM] Noble Connect [98879]: Handle response from 68.183.117.123:3478 at 192.168.1.184:65243
[4/5/2020 4:44:29 PM] Noble Connect [98880]: Received REFRESH SUCCESS RESPONSE [1d1c2ec0cee96e4d62ed1182] from 68.183.117.123:3478 at 192.168.1.184:65243

Houndy
April 5th, 2020, 21:51
I also get this.

Also, eventually after a number of hours, I ended up getting a stack overflow message which stopped me from doing any more combat, but disappeared once I deleted the tokens with the graveyard token.

Naroe
April 7th, 2020, 16:08
I noticed that I am getting an issue with tokens randomly changing I raised a new topic on it but after turning all my extentions off and then on one at a time, the token issue started with this extention.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55769-Sudden-token-change-in-display

I have some pictures of what is happening on that thread.

What is latest version of the extention? mine says 4.4

Update

Actually more detective work needed as I now have it turned off and it started happening again. tomorrow, its late

Larsenex
April 7th, 2020, 16:57
I am not an extension creating guy however with this extra time I am willing to help. I love this extension and would like it working in Unity for Pathfinder 2E.

Naroe
April 8th, 2020, 10:19
Valerian, I had to go through all the xml files and change your headers The top and bottom lines FGU doesnt like because apparently you cant have the "----------" in between the comment now
Doesnt like the copyright symbol
and the xml version had to be on top line.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!-- -->
<!-- File: extension.xml -->
<!-- Author: Cleveland E. Raymond (Valerian Stormbreaker) -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Copyright 2019 Slotware Gaming Technologies LLC. All Rights Reserved. -->
<!-- -->

I did this to every xml in the ext and mod file and FGU stopped complaining on load

Apparently this editor doesnt like spaces, so here is image of it

Naroe
April 8th, 2020, 10:42
Regarding Comment #130 about random tokens, after extensive turning extensions on and off the token misbehavior happens every time this extension is loaded. Its more of an inconvenience than anything
because you can drag the icon from the npc sheet to the combat tracker icon and it corrects it.

My install for your info is

5E Ruleset
5E - Advanced Effects
5E - Death Indicators (Extended)
5E Enhancer v0.8.0
5E Theme - Wizards
Custom Desktop Decal
Druid Wild Shapes (v0.0.12 B FGU)
Font - 14 point Clear Font (modified to replace fgf with ttf fonts) so it works with FGU
Theogeek's Improved Critical

Malkinere
April 19th, 2020, 00:22
Hmm I get the following error in FGU:
[4/18/2020 7:20:03 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-17)
[4/18/2020 7:20:03 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[4/18/2020 7:20:03 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Extension Info Load (DeathIndicatorEx): An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 1, position 5.

zuilin
April 19th, 2020, 18:58
Valerian, I had to go through all the xml files and change your headers The top and bottom lines FGU doesnt like because apparently you cant have the "----------" in between the comment now
Doesnt like the copyright symbol
and the xml version had to be on top line.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<!-- -->
<!-- File: extension.xml -->
<!-- Author: Cleveland E. Raymond (Valerian Stormbreaker) -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Copyright 2019 Slotware Gaming Technologies LLC. All Rights Reserved. -->
<!-- -->

I did this to every xml in the ext and mod file and FGU stopped complaining on load

Apparently this editor doesnt like spaces, so here is image of it

Can you post your fixed version?

Houndy
April 19th, 2020, 19:24
post #122 has a fixed version

zuilin
April 19th, 2020, 19:26

Well then. Missed that. Thanks!

zuilin
April 19th, 2020, 20:07

Looks like, yes it's fixed, but it throws other errors regarding tokens and such when you open the Assets window. Anyone have this worked out?

Lou Ciphor
April 19th, 2020, 21:16
Looks like, yes it's fixed, but it throws other errors regarding tokens and such when you open the Assets window. Anyone have this worked out?

Helps if you post the errors. And if it's not specifically this extension that's causing them, post it in the appropriate thread or create a new one.

zuilin
April 19th, 2020, 21:31
Helps if you post the errors. And if it's not specifically this extension that's causing them, post it in the appropriate thread or create a new one.

Same as #126 and #128

dotsoncs
May 14th, 2020, 20:38
Can't believe I missed this extension! Everything appears to be working except the blood splatter. Any ideas?

No other mods loaded.
Indicator: Death type --- Blood & Tomb

Dax Doomslayer
May 14th, 2020, 21:22
Does this extension conflict with DiabloBob's Critically Awesome - DM's Tools extension? I'm interested in trying it out but I think I heard that it does conflict...

Lou Ciphor
May 14th, 2020, 22:17
Can't believe I missed this extension! Everything appears to be working except the blood splatter. Any ideas?

No other mods loaded.
Indicator: Death type --- Blood & Tomb

Try deleting the characters from the CT, map, and Party Sheet, and re-adding them.

DeadlyDracula
May 17th, 2020, 02:27
Do you know if this is compatible with FGU? When I add the files to the correct folders and launch FGU I get the following error:
[5/16/2020 9:25:46 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-05-14)
[5/16/2020 9:25:46 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[5/16/2020 9:25:46 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Extension Info Load (DeathIndicatorEx): An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Line 1, position 5.

Any idea how I might be able to fix this to get it to work?

Naroe
May 17th, 2020, 06:01

dotsoncs
May 20th, 2020, 13:33
Just a head's up that this extension and the 5E Advanced Effects (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)) extension has a minor incompatibility issue when adding NPCs to the Combat Tracker. While the Death Indicators changes (ex. NPC protection) appear, the NPC effects provided by the other extension do not.

Naroe
May 24th, 2020, 14:03
im still getting random tokens for NPCs when dropped on combat tracker.

5E ruleset, only extension and mod loaded is this one and it keeps loading random recently used tokens.

This NPC is a zombie from LMOP and original icon is definitely not a goblin.

Below is console before I touch anything

[5/24/2020 10:25:31 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-05-20)
[5/24/2020 10:25:31 PM] Launcher scene starting.

[5/24/2020 10:25:37 PM] Launcher scene exiting.
[5/24/2020 10:25:37 PM] Tabletop scene starting.
[5/24/2020 10:25:50 PM] Loaded FreeType library version 2.10.2
[5/24/2020 10:26:52 PM] s'DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid combat tracker token'
[5/24/2020 10:26:52 PM] s'DeathIndicatorManager.updateCombatantTooltip: Invalid combat tracker token'
[5/24/2020 10:26:52 PM] RULESET: 5E ruleset v3.3.11 for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2019 Smiteworks USA, LLC
[5/24/2020 10:26:52 PM] RULESET: CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.11 for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2019 Smiteworks USA, LLC
[5/24/2020 10:26:52 PM] EXTENSION: Death Indicator Ex v4.4 for Fantasy Grounds\rCopyright 2019 Slotware Gaming Technologies, LLC

And I get this additional line when i delete the token from CT
[5/24/2020 10:29:07 PM] Handler error: [string "scripts/manager_npc_token.lua"]:118: deleteChild: Invalid argument 2

Naroe
May 25th, 2020, 13:52
Valerian,

Was wondering if there is way to activate only the NPC death saves and not the token effects.

Morhion
May 29th, 2020, 03:20
I'm getting some weird behavior in my tokens folder when ever i use this extension, seems like it removes some buttons as seen is this picture here 36220

its not a huge issue, just something i noticed recently.

Beemanpat
May 29th, 2020, 17:40
Maybe a Mod could do something about this extension since its no longer being supported. Maybe put a notice in post #1.

SilentRuin
May 30th, 2020, 03:36
I'm about to host my first campaign in Fantasy Grounds (using unity) and took the extension here (post #122 version) and spent about 15 hours figuring out how to use LUA and the modules here to make this the way I wanted it. Just finished testing and will be using it in session 1 of my first FG campaign. Which will be in FGU. Probably had to change 30% of the code as I'm essentially a truly lazy DM and wanted all the status (dying/stable/dead) represented in those big icons/tooltips this provides so that I could see at a glance (stable being the one I had to add in - made icon a band-aid). Also I wanted any little thing I touched in combat tracker to immediately get reflected in the icon/tooltips whether it was WND change, effect change, etc. And lastly - I wanted it to skip any actor (PC or NPC) that was dying/stable/dead when the combat tracker advanced, yet still automatically do the death roll saving throw as it passed by.

A pain to learn LUA while I was doing it, but I'm an OLD dev in many languages (started on rolled punch paper and cards) and this "seems" to work. I really have not tried to use any other extensions but this, so kind of pushed in all my wish list into it.

I'm posting this as a BIG thank you to the original author and the subsequent modifier of the code (post #122).

Thank you :)

Amerisun
August 28th, 2020, 01:22
Unfortunately post #122 removed the file.. anyone else have that file or the modifications to it that one could grab?

SmackDaddy
August 31st, 2020, 17:59
Unfortunately post #122 removed the file.. anyone else have that file or the modifications to it that one could grab?

^^^ This....or is there a similar mod/extension for Unity that will do the same thing (even if it's a paid addition over at dmsguild) Thanks in advance.

EllivasKram
September 1st, 2020, 18:12
^^^ This....or is there a similar mod/extension for Unity that will do the same thing (even if it's a paid addition over at dmsguild) Thanks in advance.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59203-Death-Indicator-Ex-v4-5-extension-for-5e-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity

Lokan
November 7th, 2020, 21:19
When Fantasy grounds initializes an error pops up that says: Extension info Load (deathindicatorEx): An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Lin1, position . I do not see the extension available to load either. please help

Lou Ciphor
November 7th, 2020, 23:45
When Fantasy grounds initializes an error pops up that says: Extension info Load (deathindicatorEx): An XML comment cannot contain '--', and '-' cannot be the last character. Lin1, position . I do not see the extension available to load either. please help

This extension is no longer supported, and hasn't been updated since OCT 2019. Read through the pages of the thread and see if anyone else has taken up the updating of it, and if/where the new link is. I removed mine as I stated I only fixed it to work and would not be maintaining it, but was still getting flooded with support requests. This extension breaks a lot of stuff, so I deleted it and removed the link I posted in #122. Someone else may have taken up the task of maintaining it since then, though. But my recommendation is to use one of the other options that IS being actively supported, and not use this one if you are unable to fix the errors and maintain it yourself.

Maybe an admin can update the first post and lock this thread?

SilentRuin
November 8th, 2020, 05:25
This extension is no longer supported, and hasn't been updated since OCT 2019. Read through the pages of the thread and see if anyone else has taken up the updating of it, and if/where the new link is. I removed mine as I stated I only fixed it to work and would not be maintaining it, but was still getting flooded with support requests. This extension breaks a lot of stuff, so I deleted it and removed the link I posted in #122. Someone else may have taken up the task of maintaining it since then, though. But my recommendation is to use one of the other options that IS being actively supported, and not use this one if you are unable to fix the errors and maintain it yourself.

Maybe an admin can update the first post and lock this thread?

This is supported:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59203-Death-Indicator-Ex-v4-5-extension-for-5e-Fantasy-Grounds-Unity

Lou Ciphor
November 8th, 2020, 05:53
This is supported:

Awesome. All the more reason to lock this one and update the first message with the link to the current, actively-supported, version. :)

jreddin1
July 14th, 2022, 02:42
Nevermind. Wrong place to post.