PDA

View Full Version : FGU- animated GIFs

Willot
July 14th, 2019, 04:58
Any chance of animated GIFs in FGU for tokens?

https://i.redd.it/6evs7pzzmzx21.gif

LordEntrails
July 14th, 2019, 05:41
Not initially, but it is something the Devs are aware of and interested in considering. Vote for the idea here; https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=41008

tintagel
September 9th, 2019, 03:24
Yeah I would love to be able to use animated gifs for fire or LOOK HERE type animated tokens.

Larsenex
April 1st, 2020, 22:58
Raising this thread, will Unity support animated tokens? I see Devin Knight now has 'animated' undead pack.

>>>>We cant let roll20 be exclusive with this!

Moon Wizard
April 1st, 2020, 23:18
No immediate plans to support animated graphics. Any feature requests will be reviewed and prioritized with other features once we get to initial release.

Regards,
JPG

Broadcast Bard
April 16th, 2020, 02:14
I would LOVE to see support for animated maps and animated tokens. Like that would be a KILLER feature for me.

Kaliss-QC
May 16th, 2020, 07:52
I would like to have animate spells, arrows, maybe hits animations

phumano
August 7th, 2020, 16:02
Agreed. Anyone here of any updates on this? I know they have a bunch of probably more important things in queue.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2020, 16:33
Agreed. Anyone here of any updates on this? I know they have a bunch of probably more important things in queue.

See Moon Wizard's reply above.

Granamere
August 7th, 2020, 16:52
Is there a time frame for initial release? Xmas this year or Summer next? No rush just curious.

Zacchaeus
August 7th, 2020, 17:55
Is there a time frame for initial release? Xmas this year or Summer next? No rush just curious.

I think Doug mentioned October as a possibility in one of his recent live streams. But don't quote me on that.

Granamere
August 7th, 2020, 19:01
In this day and age all people can do is give a best guess then see what life throws at them and adjust from there. :)

JazerNorth
April 9th, 2021, 23:08
Bumping to see if there is any progress on this, especially for maps!

Thanks!

LordEntrails
April 9th, 2021, 23:32
Bumping to see if there is any progress on this, especially for maps!

Thanks!
Nope, vote for the request here; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=135366

Aramis Dante
April 10th, 2021, 04:30
This is an awesome idea. I'm thinking token traps and such I would vote for this, even though FGU is fully functional without it, I love the eyecandy aspect.

Rylan Storm
October 12th, 2021, 13:56
Roll20 isn't exclusive with this. Foundry added it some time ago. In fact, it's only FGU that does not support animated backgrounds and tokens now.

Topdecker
October 16th, 2021, 20:48
So a while back I switched things up to Foundry and a hosted solution. I finally got faster internet and have switched back to FGU because I should be able to act as a reasonable host/server now for images. Just qualifying that I know Foundry fairly well.

So why would we stop with animated tokens? Why not MP4/AVI maps? Fully animated scenes are a thing with multiple Patreon makers creating some really breathtaking assets. Yeah, 50mb animated maps might be a bit of a load, but I did it in Foundry and encountered no problems.

Anyhow, I would respectfully submit that Smite should be looking to allow the animation of every visual asset. Think big.

Zacchaeus
October 16th, 2021, 21:02
Isn't the difference that Foundry is web based or server based in some way? In other words you aren't relying on the DM's hardware and internet speed? Uploading 60Mb to six players would take me several hours to achieve. Not everyone has lightning fast internet speeds. (Admittedly potato internet is probably the minority now).

bmos
October 16th, 2021, 21:36
Isn't the difference that Foundry is web based or server based in some way? In other words you aren't relying on the DM's hardware and internet speed? Uploading 60Mb to six players would take me several hours to achieve. Not everyone has lightning fast internet speeds. (Admittedly potato internet is probably the minority now).Foundry is still dependent on GM internet connection if you install it on your computer. You can also host it online which usually fixes the issue. This connection speed is definitely an issue when people use hi-res, animated maps.
I'm in a weekly Foundry game and any time I refresh the page (which I have to do a few times per session), the load times are quite substantial as it loads the 1080p map. I think my GM's upload speed is 20mbps (far above average in my experience) and we have 5 players.

Zarestia
October 16th, 2021, 21:50
Foundry is installed on the GM's computer and functions there like FGU with port forwarding.
There are some commercial hosting services.

The median upload speed in the USA should be best case around 2-3 MB/s if asynchronous lines.
Four players with the above example take 80 seconds to load, doesn't really matter which platform. I personally wouldn't be able to use such a feature unless I get better upload speed or host FGU somewhere in the cloud (which I don't want).

If we get something like this, it will probably be in increments, just my guess.

EDIT: Sniped by bmos

Temmpest
October 17th, 2021, 02:33
So a while back I switched things up to Foundry and a hosted solution. I finally got faster internet and have switched back to FGU because I should be able to act as a reasonable host/server now for images. Just qualifying that I know Foundry fairly well.

So why would we stop with animated tokens? Why not MP4/AVI maps? Fully animated scenes are a thing with multiple Patreon makers creating some really breathtaking assets. Yeah, 50mb animated maps might be a bit of a load, but I did it in Foundry and encountered no problems.

Anyhow, I would respectfully submit that Smite should be looking to allow the animation of every visual asset. Think big.

How does Foundry compare to FGU?

Zacchaeus
October 17th, 2021, 02:44
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?70355-18-months-on-FG-vs-Roll20-vs-Foundry

jharp
October 17th, 2021, 03:25
Animated PNGs please.

Rylan Storm
October 18th, 2021, 16:22

At the moment Foundry's biggest weakness is that it's missing a lot of less commonly used rulesets. If you're playing 5E there is no WotC module support. It has D&D Beyond integration but you'll need to manually set up every map and encounter.

It doesn't have any map creation tools but many of us don't need that.

They're nearly feature complete but they don't have enough of a playerbase yet to have much in the way of extensions. If they get official module support they are going to be, leaps and bounds, the best VTT going.

That's why I'm really keen for people to start looking at the other VTTs with the aim of staying competitive but it feels like any time I make a suggestion, someone is quick to point out that Unity doesn't allow it . I'm heavily invested in Fantasy Grounds, a lot of us are, and we want it to work out but FGU is the only one of the big three not supporting animated maps and tokens.

Rylan Storm
October 18th, 2021, 16:32
Isn't the difference that Foundry is web based or server based in some way? In other words you aren't relying on the DM's hardware and internet speed? Uploading 60Mb to six players would take me several hours to achieve. Not everyone has lightning fast internet speeds. (Admittedly potato internet is probably the minority now).

Animated tokens are the size of a typical gif. Be sparing with them and it's not a big deal.

Animated maps vary in size. Some of them are two minute long videos in 4k. Some are 5 seconds long 1080p. Most people on Patreom have a mix. You can get some that are 15mb in size so multiply that by your number of players.

Moon Wizard
October 18th, 2021, 17:43
Yes, but the average user doesn't look at the details of how big files are, and understand how that will impact their performance and transfer times. It's always a balancing act.

Regards,
JPG

Rylan Storm
October 18th, 2021, 18:44
I think that, if someone is subscribing to Patreon for animated maps, they're probably not the average user.

But maybe, if that's triggering a lot of support cases for you guys, maybe a warning on image size in app would help.

valle1
June 21st, 2022, 15:39
Please update fantasy grounds to support GIF's

Zacchaeus
June 21st, 2022, 15:48
Please update fantasy grounds to support GIF's

Add it to the wishlist - or vote if it's already there (which I'm sure it is). Link in my signature.