PDA

View Full Version : Copyright question for D&D on FG.

skybluerob
October 3rd, 2006, 10:26
Hello,

I own the D&D Adventure Game (a basic version for beginners). I wish to run a game on Fantasy Grounds using this game.

With the game comes about 10 basic rules sheets for the players to have a look at, along with about 8 character sheets. At the bottom of all these sheets it says you can photocopy them for personal use.

If I was playing the game round a table, the players would all be given a photocopy. Is it okay in this instance to scan these sheets and send them to the players in advance?

None of the players own a players manual, but if I can get them into the game, their interest will hopefully grow. We are not pirates at all and the info on the sheets is quite basic.

It’s just that I can’t really expect them to purchase the adventure game just for these few sheets.

What does everyone think? The last thing I’m trying to do is rip anyone off, in fact I’m trying to hopefully increase sales.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Rob.

Ram Tyr
October 3rd, 2006, 13:14
Rob,

If the publisher has given you permission to reproduce the information you wish to share, then you can share it! They've given you permission. Publishers often do this with demo rules sheets and with character sheets to help expand their player base. So, you can email it, or hand it out in face to face games. Or you could share an electronic version using FG. Remember, it relies on the permission you've received from the publisher.

I know some folks that think of it this way, if you can take it to Kinko's and get it copied, then you can share it however you want. Kinko's often requires that you show them the permission you mention is printed on each page before they will copy copyrighted material.

Since using the most conservative approach (which is what I have done above by taking the stance that the publisher would likely take) allows you to do what you wish, there's no need to get into any other copyright issues. :D

Later.
Ramza

kalmarjan
October 3rd, 2006, 13:35
Just to put a few of your fears to rest...

As long as the players at your game use the set you create ONLY for your game, there is no trouble. Proceed as you wish. In fact, treat it exactly like your tabletop session. That is what FG was created for.

The sticky subject comes with sharing with the Community. While you can run a game with copyrighted material, you CANNOT post the ruleset for download. This part has been discussed numerous times on the boards, and if you do a search, you find out why.

In 2.0, there is supposed to be a change to the way rulesets are distributed. This will render this question moot. Until then, have fun at your game. !

Sandeman

skybluerob
October 3rd, 2006, 13:42
Thanks Ramza,

Good, I'll distribute them then. It makes sense to get people involved in the game with the hope they will advance and purchase the Players Guide.

I'll put the game for beginners up on the calendar when I'm ready to play it for anyone new to FG and D&D.

If anyone reading this is not new, but are patient and don't mind the basicness, you can of course play also.

Cheers.

Rob.

Chrystallis
October 3rd, 2006, 16:55
Another comment on the character sheet issue, not that I want to direct attention away from here(FG), but if you visit the Wizards of the Coast website (Google it and you'll find it easily) and go to their "downloads" section, you will see the publish online, free for download by anyone who wants/needs it, character sheets for all of their games. The also have specialty sheets for certain character classes etc. [Those you might like to look at after you are used to the game :)] And as I posted this I checked the site, they also have a direct link in the side bar for "Character Sheets".

So my point is, in agreement with everyone else, you are fine to copy, in fact Wizards makes a it a point to provide us with lots of free variations on the theme.

Happy Gaming :D

kalmarjan
October 3rd, 2006, 17:44
You are lind of correct on this. While it is fine to download and use for YOUR OWN PERSONAL use, (read: Gaming Group), it is not fine to distribute these sheets for the public.

This issue has been discussed to death before on these boards. I do not want to open up another can of worms, I just want to be careful when dealing with WOTC products.

Cheers,

Sandeman