PDA

View Full Version : Version 2.0 update: Pixies... er, pixels

Goblin-King
October 3rd, 2006, 10:26
Some sheets are finally getting pretty much ready, so I can finally show you guys a bit of what the next version will be like on the user interface side of things. As usual for work in progress, some things might change before everything is ready.

Without any more banter, on to the images... my apologies for the bad compression on some of the images, had to turn the quality down a bit to avoid a massive post.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_cs1.jpg

This one is a basic view of the character sheet main page. You can see we've broken up the character sheet into more pages to contain all the necessary information.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_cs2.jpg

The combat page contains information on AC, saves and such that are just summarized on the first page. You have some extra fields, and the weapon list is dynamic and scrollable. Note that you can now create hot keys for real dice rolls, so you could grab a full attack (the field with the 1 and the die, this poor guy is just level 3) or the damage field and get direct access to the relevant roll.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_cs3.jpg

Here you see the spells page in what we call preparation mode. The cleric list uses memorization (you toggle that by clicking on the book/star icon), and the sorcerer list uses spontaneous casting. Memorizing casters set up their slots in this mode. You can collapse class and level sections by clicking on the headers (the cleric level 1 section has been collapsed here).

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_cs4.jpg

Here's the spell sheet in casting mode. You can't change the numbers of prepared spells, rather you have a simplified view of what you have available. Spontaneous casters have a view of the total number of spells they've cast per level, and what they still have available.

Click for full size image
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_ct1s.jpg (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_ct1.jpg)

Here you have the combat tracker with 2 NPCs and a PC, and the corresponding tokens placed on the map. The CT has four sections, the overview (containing initiative, hp/wounds, face/reach, friend/neutral/foe settings), the defensive summary, the active summary and the effects.

The map has grid snapping to the centers and corners of the squares, grid hilights for the area occupied by the creature (colored by the friend/foe, FoF for short, indicator) and displays the area covered by the creature's reach when hovering over the token.

The goblin has a spell on it, so the GM has toggled the effects section visible. The goblin leader is in turn at the moment, indicated by the arrow on the left side as well as the white underlay on the map, and has his active properties displayed because of that. The GM can hover and grab any attack or damage block in the text fields and get the attack dice on the mouse cursor, being able to just drop them on the chat window to perform the attacks.

The downward arrow at the bottom of the tracker will progress the turn to the next actor, or start another turn if this one is completed. A nice detail about the scripting system's capabilities is that you can grab and drag the arrow to a hot key slot and use it down there as well.

Also here you can see the new dice/pointer color selection gizmo. You click on the colored circles to drop the corresponding amount of that color into the mix.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_mod1.jpg

Players will have access to their local modules as well. Here you see the d20 modules that come with the next version. The GM has decided to autoload the basic rules module (indicated by the lightning icon) and has allowed any player to load up the spells module if they wish.

That's all this time :bandit:

Wavestone
October 3rd, 2006, 12:29
Wow.. looks like some great new features in FG II! In addition, the sheets do look really nice.

Will be interesting to hear more about the new edition as the beta comes by.. :)

DarkStar
October 3rd, 2006, 14:02
I wasn't expecting a GUI redesign, but it changed more than I thought. Nicely done! I absolutely love how FG2 looks. Can't wait to get my hands on the beta. :>

Kalan
October 3rd, 2006, 14:03
Aye - I thought the interface was good before...this just totally blows FGI outta da water...

GREAT work guys! And really looks like a lot of the community's feedback has been heard and implemented!

Now I can see why its taken so long to get where we are now!

Snikle
October 3rd, 2006, 15:41
Very nice guys, the new tracker looks amazing! Really looking great all around...tho I get scared when I start thinking about skinning or creating rulesets.....

LordTomar
October 3rd, 2006, 16:13
Any information about the "dice cup" or the ability to roll 2 or more types of dice at the same time?

richvalle
October 3rd, 2006, 16:17
Any information about the "dice cup" or the ability to roll 2 or more types of dice at the same time?

"Also here you can see the new dice/pointer color selection gizmo. You click on the colored circles to drop the corresponding amount of that color into the mix."

Looks like you can roll mutiple sets of different types/colors of dice.

rv

richvalle
October 3rd, 2006, 16:47
Are the spell lists links? I.e. if I click on 'Bless' it opens up the spell sheet for that spell (assuming the spell was put on the list via drag and drop)?

Ram Tyr
October 3rd, 2006, 16:58
"Also here you can see the new dice/pointer color selection gizmo. You click on the colored circles to drop the corresponding amount of that color into the mix."

Looks like you can roll mutiple sets of different types/colors of dice.

rv
I read that a bit differently.

To me it means that I can customize the color of my dice / pointer using the "new dice/pointer color selection gizmo". I recall that folks asked for more control over color with respect to drawing. I imagine, after developing the color system to allow for that, they included it in determining these colors.

I'm not sure whether that allows for the leap to rolling one white d10 and one red d10? To me it means that I have enough control now to make that d10 a particular shade of red.

I could be so off base with this conjecture, however, that it might be just enough rope to hang me from.

Later.
Ramza

richvalle
October 3rd, 2006, 17:05
Doh! I think you are right. My bad.

Sorry LT. Your question stands and I'll 2nd it! :)

rv

Griogre
October 3rd, 2006, 18:06
This is a very nice looking character sheet. Good to see a slot for movement and the touch and flatfooted armor classes as well as a place to put languages. The combat tracker also looks nice with combat info and an indication of who is active. Way points on movement have been something my players have griped about regularly and its good to see that implemented.

The only thing that made me a little nervous:

The map has grid snapping to the centers and corners of the squares, grid hilights for the area occupied by the creature (colored by the friend/foe, FoF for short, indicator) and displays the area covered by the creature's reach when hovering over the token.
Spells should snap to corners and tokens to centers. The cone pointer appears to possibly be "snapped" to center where if it represents a spell in d20, it should be snapped to a corner. Different games do this differently so I hope there is a way to snap different area of effects.

The spell book looks vastly improved, though given the two different modes I am surprised the "spell casting" mode for the cleric still shows non memorized spells other than "inflict" or "cure" spells.

All in all very nice looking and I'm glad to see the many improvements.

Ram Tyr
October 3rd, 2006, 18:35
Spells should snap to corners and tokens to centers. The cone pointer appears to possibly be "snapped" to center where if it represents a spell in d20, it should be snapped to a corner. Different games do this differently so I hope there is a way to snap different area of effects.
I bet, given their desire to maintain flexibility, that it snaps anything (token, line, cone, etc.) to the nearest node that you begin with. (Either by placing the token down, or by starting to draw the line, cone, etc.) The screenshot is probably an oversight of the rules...unless this is not a staged screenshot. :D

Anyway, that is what I expect from our good Smiteworks crew.

The spell book looks vastly improved, though given the two different modes I am surprised the "spell casting" mode for the cleric still shows non memorized spells other than "inflict" or "cure" spells.

Isn't this to make sure that the player feels wave after wave of guilt for not preparing the needed spells. Every glance at the sheet and the ignored spell screams... "You didn't prepare ME, and I could've won the day!"

Again, just the kind of thing we might've expected...
:p

Later.
Ramza

Oberoten
October 3rd, 2006, 18:35
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL...

Griogre
October 3rd, 2006, 18:41
Isn't this to make sure that the player feels wave after wave of guilt for not preparing the needed spells. Every glance at the sheet and the ignored spell screams... "You didn't prepare ME, and I could've won the day!"

Ha, like my players feel any shame? ;) What's really depressing is when they have a spell memorized *that* could save the day - and don't use it. :p

kalmarjan
October 3rd, 2006, 19:15
While you are right about the cone snapping to the center, don't forget that the center of the spell originates from the caster. You can see this on pg 307 of the DMG.

Sandeman

Snikle
October 3rd, 2006, 19:23
Well, those who know me would say I am not a stickler for rules, but why in god's name would the spell snap to the corner? It just doesn't pass the common sense rule....oh wait we are talking 3.5 aren't we? nevermind..... ;)

tdwyer11b
October 3rd, 2006, 19:49
Well, those who know me would say I am not a stickler for rules, but why in god's name would the spell snap to the corner? It just doesn't pass the common sense rule....oh wait we are talking 3.5 aren't we? nevermind..... ;)

LOL!!! Excellent.

kalmarjan
October 3rd, 2006, 20:10

It is a misnomer to say that it snaps to the corner. What happens is the spell "snaps" to the space directly in front of the caster. If the caster was casting the spell on a diagnal, then the spell cone would snap to the corner. Otherwise, it would snap to the square in front of him.

Why is this? You want to know what area your spell affects. For example, burning hands is a 15 foot cone effect. This spell would cover 7 squares in front of you. (Because squares that are less than 50% covered are considered free.)

Does that make more sense? I think the rule is better than arguing with your players over whether the spell hits the target.

The way we should look at this is the cone "snaps" to the caster. Then all problems are solved.

Sandeman

Griogre
October 3rd, 2006, 20:58
Well you know how it is - it's *suppose* to make it easier to figure what squares are really in the AOE. In fact its just another rule most people ignore - still a d20 program should at least give you the option of conforming to the rules. :p

Illrigger
October 3rd, 2006, 20:58
Yay! My wish for the beta came true already!

I use FG at the gaming table even when we're playing on the real tabletop, so the lack of flexibility in the character sheed was a bummer before. This looks great!

One thing, tho - are there empty slots on the Skills page to add in new ones? Such as homegrown ones, or the new ones in the WotC books?

Griogre
October 3rd, 2006, 21:10
It is a misnomer to say that it snaps to the corner. What happens is the spell "snaps" to the space directly in front of the caster. If the caster was casting the spell on a diagnal, then the spell cone would snap to the corner. Otherwise, it would snap to the square in front of him.

I don't disagree with you that it is silly but that is not the rules (bold emphsis mine):

Area
Some spells affect an area. Sometimes a spell description specifies a specially defined area, but usually an area falls into one of the categories defined below.

Regardless of the shape of the area, you select the point where the spell originates, but otherwise you don’t control which creatures or objects the spell affects. The point of origin of a spell is always a grid intersection. When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.

Take a good look at the cones in the back of the DMG 307. What they are really saying is the cone comes from the grid corner intersection of the character's square, a needlessly complicated rule, IMHO, but still the RAW.

Ram Tyr
October 3rd, 2006, 21:12
Well you know how it is - it's *suppose* to make it easier to figure what squares are really in the AOE. In fact its just another rule most people ignore - still a d20 program should at least give you the option of conforming to the rules. :p
Don't mind Snikle...his ugly mind can't grasp anything more complex than the rules lite systems he's been spouting about on FUM. :p Besides, even with the rules he can understand...he's just going to ignore them when he wants to... :D

As far as the rules discussion, I believe Griogre has the right of it.

Later.
Ramza

Griogre
October 3rd, 2006, 21:21
Snikle doesn't bother me, I ignore the rules too sometimes. ;) I don't mind complicated systems - but I want value for the complexity. If I'm not getting something cool for the complexity then a simple mechanic is better - IMHO.

Ram Tyr
October 3rd, 2006, 21:41
Bah. I guess the smilies didn't carry the requisite "mirth" I was looking for. No worries, Griogre, it was just some good natured ribbing of Snik for his earlier comment about D&D not passing the common sense rule...it just tied in nicely with some of his recent posts over at FUM.

Later.
Ramza

Griogre
October 3rd, 2006, 21:56
:D I am too serious sometimes. Note, I did invite Snickle in to play in my D&D game over at FUM, LOL. Don't think he will take me up but, hay, you never know - the lure of a party of short people may be too much. ;)

Goblin-King
October 3rd, 2006, 22:09
Let me just give some quick answers here all collected into one post.

The damage fields are an example of this. You can drop any dice there and they are all picked up when you drag from there. I was about to make a flaming longsword for the example (1d8+1d6) but the GM in me said it just wouldn't be right for a level 3 character.

Are the spell lists links? I.e. if I click on 'Bless' it opens up the spell sheet for that spell (assuming the spell was put on the list via drag and drop)?
Yes this will be available. Actually the entries you see in the example were not dragged, you got us cheating there :)

Actually, they both snap to both. Tokens need corners for creatures with a space of 10', 20' etc. and pointers for some area effect types (rules speculation aside). Anyway, the snap point calculation is script based so you could override either choice.

Actually this is something that was there in the original design, but there's no actual generic way to tell which spells should be treated specially for inflict and cure purposes. Thus, any spontaneous casting spells wouldn't be visible here (although you could hot key them). However this goes, the quick list will only show the prepared spells.

One thing, tho - are there empty slots on the Skills page to add in new ones? Such as homegrown ones, or the new ones in the WotC books?
Yes, you can add in new skills, it's a dynamic list as well. Also, you're not limited to two craft skills and such.

kalmarjan
October 3rd, 2006, 22:18
I don't disagree with you that it is silly but that is not the rules (bold emphsis mine):

Take a good look at the cones in the back of the DMG 307. What they are really saying is the cone comes from the grid corner intersection of the character's square, a needlessly complicated rule, IMHO, but still the RAW.

:)

LOL. We are both saying the same thing. A bit further into the text you quoted, it says why...

When determining whether a given creature is within the area of a spell, count out the distance from the point of origin in squares just as you do when moving a character or when determining the range for a ranged attack. The only difference is that instead of counting from the center of one square to the center of the next, you count from intersection to intersection.

The reasoning for this is if you count from the center of the squares, you will end up with half squares that are filled. (check it out on graph paper and see what I mean.) :) The system is supposed to make thinkgs simpler. If you have a player who is caught in a BW of a dragon in a half square, there is definately going to be an argument as to whether the BW affected him or not.

The good news is that FG will shade the squares for you if you are using the grid function with the circles/cones or squares. Look at the shaded area, and it will do the math for you. (Just linke in the DMG)

Sandeman

Snikle
October 3rd, 2006, 22:46
....Don't mind Snikle...his ugly mind can't grasp anything more complex than the rules lite systems he's been spouting about on FUM......it was just some good natured ribbing of Snik for his earlier comment about D&D not passing the common sense rule...it just tied in nicely with some of his recent posts over at FUM.
bah! You are just afraid to try something else!

I did invite Snickle in to play in my D&D game over at FUM, LOL. Don't think he will take me up but, hay, you never know - the lure of a party of short people may be too much.
People always misspelling my name, jeez...no 'C' in it! Now that I actualy have some time, I might take you up on it...though my aversion to rules heavy systems might come even more to light. You up for that? ;) And I wonder, when I open up the OGT: FGII Beta Testing and run some simple20 games...will either of you venture in?
And besides, the fact that it took numerous posts to describe how the cone for a spell effect really works....well, speaks for itself. ;)

Now that I have said the last word, no more highjacking of the thread. :D

Ram Tyr
October 3rd, 2006, 22:58
Tero the Goblin King,

Thanks for the insight.

Later.
Ramza
(Snikle, I'll catch you at FUM! :p)

Illrigger
October 3rd, 2006, 23:04
OK, here's another one. I see that the ammo quantity is dynamic on the combat page. How does it work in the inventory page? Can I drag the ammo from the inventory page to the ammo slot and have both quantities update? If I have 10 potions, does it give me 10 checkboxes? Are there defined slots for each item location (head, armor, ring 1, ring 2, etc), or is it just a list like before?

sunbeam60
October 4th, 2006, 12:31
Ahhh, that looks just absolutely gorgeous! Oh ... My ... GOD I cannot wait till the full release! It's looks fantastic!

Arduain
October 5th, 2006, 03:39
I have a simple request for a change in FG2. I have noticed that my players can change their portraits "on the fly" during the game, yet I am not able to add pictures "on the fly" to the folder that is used in making the maps and images list. If a player e-mails me a picture I can add it to the images folder in FG but it won't register on the list until I restart the server. It would be very helpful if we could do so.
I love how the tokens can be organized by placing them into subfolders in the FG folders. They show up in sub-bags in the counter box. Great idea.
I would like to see that same idea used with how the images are organized in the image list. Currently they are alphabetized and make for a long list. I find it annoying having to scroll through the list looking for what I need. Is there any way to allow the DM to place pictures in subfolders like the tokens so the file names show up in organized subfolders and not just alphabetized?
My players and I can think of no better way to improve the ease of use of your fine product. Keep up the great work! The new version looks great.
Arduain

richvalle
October 5th, 2006, 03:53
I have a simple request for a change in FG2. I have noticed that my players can change their portraits "on the fly" during the game, yet I am not able to add pictures "on the fly" to the folder that is used in making the maps and images list. If a player e-mails me a picture I can add it to the images folder in FG but it won't register on the list until I restart the server. It would be very helpful if we could do so.
Arduain

Images CAN be entered on the fly. Though I think if you have the image list up, add an image it might not show up till you close the list and then open it again.

I've added images during a game... it does work.

What you CAN'T add on the fly is tokens. For that you have to exit FG and start it back up again.

rv

Kalan
October 5th, 2006, 14:58
Images CAN be entered on the fly. Though I think if you have the image list up, add an image it might not show up till you close the list and then open it again.

I've added images during a game... it does work.

What you CAN'T add on the fly is tokens. For that you have to exit FG and start it back up again.

rv

Yah - I do this all the time (well, the images thing, not the tokens) - esp when I need a visual for the PCs when they encounter something. Quick search on the 'net, d/l, drop into the images folder, and presto instant visual :)

richvalle
October 5th, 2006, 18:06
I was going to add the bit about putting extra tabs in but Dupre already posted on it. Sorry I forgot on the first post.

rv

OneRingShort
October 8th, 2006, 14:29
First, I wanted to say that FG2 looks awesome. I have a few questions tho (I apologize if the answeres were already posted somewhere). Is there an exprected release day/month? and does it change the way the program connects to players/hosts or is it just a mechanics and cosmetics redo?

richvalle
October 9th, 2006, 03:56
First, I wanted to say that FG2 looks awesome. I have a few questions tho (I apologize if the answeres were already posted somewhere). Is there an exprected release day/month? and does it change the way the program connects to players/hosts or is it just a mechanics and cosmetics redo?

No release date has been issued. Beta tests start in Nov.

I have seen the Devs say that the networking parts of FG were getting a make over. But I think the it will still be fundimentaly the same... i.e. you connect to a host.

rv

grider
October 12th, 2006, 16:57
Wow, good looking stuff. I am impressed.

I can't wait for the new version. I hope that it isn't just prettier, but more stable, too.

Malovech
October 25th, 2006, 12:32
Should I wait for this new version before attempting to build a custom character sheet?

Griogre
October 25th, 2006, 18:36
Up to you of course. The beta starts November 1st and I'm guessing 2.0 will be available around the start of next year. If you think you can do your character sheet in a day or so then it might be worth it, otherwise you might want to wait.

Malovech
October 25th, 2006, 19:14
I guess what I'm asking is, will there be substantial changes to the XML that will invalidate my character sheet? Or will it be easy to adapt it to the new version?

joshuha
October 25th, 2006, 21:05
There is no way to know at the moment. The tags appear similar but they ARE different. SW has said they will try to release a converter but it may not work 100% right. However, generally a character sheet isn't too laborious so I would go ahead and do sheets. I would wait on full fledged rulesets though.

Malovech
October 25th, 2006, 23:55
There is no way to know at the moment. The tags appear similar but they ARE different. SW has said they will try to release a converter but it may not work 100% right. However, generally a character sheet isn't too laborious so I would go ahead and do sheets. I would wait on full fledged rulesets though.

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know.

spliskamatyshak
November 1st, 2006, 04:56
Can classes be more flexible as far as the number of them? This should be easy with the data stored as xml. I run campaigns where characters have one or two base classes, a paragon class and one or two prestige classes. I have an epic campaign with one extreme where the character has two base classes, three paragon classes, and three prestige classes (plus a bloodline) [half-elf (major gold dragon bloodline) sorcerer 2/half-elf paragon 3/human paragon 3/gold dragon disciple 10/paladin 10/mystic theurge 10/half-dragon paragon 3/archmage 5] or another one [elf wizard 2/fighter 4/bladesinger 10/arcane archer 4/skylord 1/(aiming at elven high mage)]. A nifty scrolling window with 10 places would work well for this. Most users would only see the three they probably need, but they wouldn't be limited.

Also, please include psionic powers and skills.

Thanks.

sbkp
November 3rd, 2006, 21:12
The damage fields are an example of this. You can drop any dice there and they are all picked up when you drag from there. I was about to make a flaming longsword for the example (1d8+1d6) but the GM in me said it just wouldn't be right for a level 3 character.

Is it possible to roll multiple dice with different bonuses? For example, can I roll my to-hit and damage rolls all in one "cup"? I'd love to have, for example:

To-hit: 1d20+13, Damage: 2d6+3 + 1d6 (electrical)

and have it output something such as

To-hit: 12+13 = 25, Damage 9+3 = 12 + 4 (electrical)

Thanks. Looking forward to FGII!

- Stefan

richvalle
November 3rd, 2006, 21:15
I'm pretty sure that is going to be possible. Hopefully we'll find out SOON! :)

rv

fooman
November 10th, 2006, 22:07
This is exceptional and covers most of my wish list and some items I didn't even think of. I also noticed the movement path of the token was not "straight path". Does anyone know if that is a new feature or is there a way to do that in the current version. I was also wondering what level of compatibility there will be for modules I've created - I'm less concerned about character sheets as they take less time, but the wondering how the 150 page adventure I coverted will fare.

A couple enhancements I though of - these may already be in the works or have been brought up on another thread:
Toggle auto-calculate or auto-show DM die rolls
Some of the NPC sheet fields are not currently cut and pastable, and are also "one-line text" only

Griogre
November 11th, 2006, 00:33
They are planning to add waypoints to movement. It is not possible now. Don't know about the show rolls - I'm not aware of any changes to that. Could be though. There are extensive changes to the way dice can be rolled. You can show all die rolls now as the DM if you use the die codes (ie /die1d20).

d20 Modules will be compatible "out of the box" rulesets will have to be converted. So a module which utilizes a non d20 default ruleset feature will not work properly until the ruleset is converted - is my understanding. However most modules are mostly data how that will play out is unknown. They are expecting to release a ruleset converter though a timeframe is still unclear.

arcath
November 26th, 2006, 18:45
Any updates?

dying to see some progress. :)

Callum
December 13th, 2006, 11:51
One feature you might consider adding to the Combat tab on the character sheet is draggable boxes for two-handed damage bonus and off-hand damage bonus. I've made a modification to the current sheet to include these, and found them very useful.

neceros
December 19th, 2006, 19:16
Are you going to provide Psion support for their power points? Otherwise I'll have to makeshift it in.

Thanks.

Blue Haven
December 25th, 2006, 01:09
When can we get the version 2.0 of Fantasy Grounds??? it will be for free or we have to pay for it?? and another question imagine that we are playing with other player that don´t have the same version there will problems with that or not?

Griogre
December 25th, 2006, 02:29
It's not know when they will release to the public. Probaby in January is my guess, but just a guess. The developers have said serveral times it will be a free upgrade. Everyone in the group has to have the same version. Version 2.0 is a seperate install so you can have both the old 1.5f and 2.0 installed at the same time. This is to give people with their own rulesets time to switch over to 2.0 if they wish (and I would be very surprised if they don't wish).

Lilith
December 28th, 2006, 22:32
Holy frijoles! That looks awesome!

Dachannien
December 29th, 2006, 01:19
Holy frijoles! That looks awesome!

Indeed. :D

Tailz Silver Paws
January 2nd, 2007, 22:52
Oh my goodness, great gibbly-bits on fire!

Those screenies of FG2 look fan-tas-ma-goric!

Very nice guys, the new tracker looks amazing! Really looking great all around...tho I get scared when I start thinking about skinning or creating rulesets.....
I certainly agree, still perplexes me how I can make a World War II skin for it.

Morfedel
January 4th, 2007, 21:30
I missed it if this was answered, but will the character description and other info now be draggable? My players are a tiny bit frustrated they couldnt drag their character descritions into the chat window.

Also, what about support for cut and paste ? I know this has been requested before, but if this was addressed in this thread, I missed it. I know I'd like to be able to copy into and out of FG both.

Morfedel
January 4th, 2007, 21:34
Oh, a few other questions:

1) At what point is the development of FG2 at this point? How far along has it come? Any ETA yet?

2) Can my group, who already own FG 1.05, get hold of the Beta?

Thanks!

richvalle
January 4th, 2007, 22:09
Oh, a few other questions:

1) At what point is the development of FG2 at this point? How far along has it come? Any ETA yet?

2) Can my group, who already own FG 1.05, get hold of the Beta?

Thanks!

I seem to be following you around today Morfedel. :)

As you know, its in Beta.

The Beta group has been closed and it only works for people who have the full version in any case. Unless your group is much different then mine, not everyone has the full version. :)

rv

Morfedel
January 5th, 2007, 14:26
I seem to be following you around today Morfedel. :)

As you know, its in Beta.

The Beta group has been closed and it only works for people who have the full version in any case. Unless your group is much different then mine, not everyone has the full version. :)

rv

Yah, I'm the only one with the full version. Well... I think there might be one other with the full version, but just one :(

And hey, stalk me at will dude, heh!

Anyway... I know its in beta. I meant how far... as in, are they about to release it? Does it still have some serious issues? or what?

Griogre
January 5th, 2007, 19:23
Anyway... I know its in beta. I meant how far... as in, are they about to release it? Does it still have some serious issues? or what?
The beta is very stable, but not all new features are yet implemented which means it is hard to predict when they will release it. It would not shock me if they moved to a general beta or released it by the end of this month - but that is just a guess and presumes that there is no real difficulty hooking up the un-implemented stuff. I also don't know if they are thinking about a brief general beta or going to a straight release. If they go to a straight release then it will be longer until you get it because they will want to fix all the bugs before a general release.

Griogre
January 5th, 2007, 19:37
I missed it if this was answered, but will the character description and other info now be draggable? My players are a tiny bit frustrated they couldnt drag their character descritions into the chat window.

Have them put their character descriptions into notes then they can share them with everyone.

Haplo
January 15th, 2007, 07:18
Can we at least get an approximate date to dream about? I had the bright idea of showing the group I'm playing with the new version... now I'm getting the "Is it ready yet?" every other day!!

LordTomar
January 17th, 2007, 16:08
Can we at least get an approximate date to dream about? I had the bright idea of showing the group I'm playing with the new version... now I'm getting the "Is it ready yet?" every other day!!

The best information I have heard so far about the release date was before ICon, which happens in late March. Other then that, who knows.

Rhyfel
January 17th, 2007, 22:08
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/dev_ss_mod1.jpg

Players will have access to their local modules as well. Here you see the d20 modules that come with the next version. The GM has decided to autoload the basic rules module (indicated by the lightning icon) and has allowed any player to load up the spells module if they wish.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I am a totally new user to FG, and I have a couple of questions.

First off, are these new modules going to be complete or nearly complete SRD files? I've now played a grand total of one game session with FG, and while I was overall very pleased with the product, it was a slight disappointment that the rules references were such skeletons. Well okay I suppose in fairness I wasn't expecting to get any rules at all, so I was pleasantly surprised to find rules-books on the game table, but then was disappointed that they didn't have much in them.

In looking at the stuff for 2.0 I was really excited, because this, and a couple of other nitpicky things I thought could be more useful seemed to be getting improved. Then I was worried when I noticed these modules were called "Fantasy Grounds X Essentials." Because someone else's idea of what is "essential" might just be stripped clean of the information that I am looking for. :)

I found at RPG now where you can download the complete SRD in FG format and use that. But then I wondered if it would even be compatible with the new FG, and beyond that if the new FG already has it incorporated into it.

The above quote makes a specific reference to "the spells module." Is this going to be a listing of spells with descriptions and game effects? And is the monster module going to include more monsters this time around? Those really are the main two things I think would be useful on a virtual tabletop. I mean some of the other stuff is nice, but I can break the books out, or make something up, if I need to look up something really obscure.

Lastly, is WOTC pulling the permission for that other company to publish FG versions of their published products that I read about in another forum going to affect the ability of FG to include SRD information in their product? I wouldn't think that it would, but then intellectual property rights in the last few years seem to defy all logic and common sense.

So, in more brief....
1) Is most or all of SRD (particularly monsters and spells) already going to be included in FG 2.0?
2) If the anwer to #1 is no, will the commercially availible conversion of SRD to FG 1.5 work with FG 2.0?
3) Is Wizards likely to be pulling something that will make either of the above two options suddenly no longer availible in the near future?

MaineCoon
January 18th, 2007, 01:58
Lastly, is WOTC pulling the permission for that other company to publish FG versions of their published products that I read about in another forum going to affect the ability of FG to include SRD information in their product? I wouldn't think that it would, but then intellectual property rights in the last few years seem to defy all logic and common sense.

WotC only let lapse the license on proprietary (non-OGL/SRD) content. OGL/SRD is still quite open and public; they can never undo that. If they even tried, they'd face quite a few publishers suing them.

If someone wanted to, they could make their own FG SRD ruleset and release it for free (as long as they did not utilize the existing for-sale SRD ruleset); no license is required to do so.

Stuart
January 18th, 2007, 19:56
I found at RPG now where you can download the complete SRD in FG format and use that. But then I wondered if it would even be compatible with the new FG, and beyond that if the new FG already has it incorporated into it.

I am guessing you are talking about the Digital Adventures SRD ruleset ? Assuning you are, the SRD, AE, IH and MSRD will all be converted to FGII - this is seen as a priority over anything else we have.

LordTomar
January 18th, 2007, 20:31
I am guessing you are talking about the Digital Adventures SRD ruleset ? Assuning you are, the SRD, AE, IH and MSRD will all be converted to FGII - this is seen as a priority over anything else we have.

Anyone know if the updated versions of the DA rulesets will have to be purchased again?

Stuart
January 18th, 2007, 20:59
Anyone know if the updated versions of the DA rulesets will have to be purchased again?

No - when they are released, they will be a free upgrade to all those who have purchased the originals ... the MSRD was free to begin with.

MaineCoon
January 18th, 2007, 21:13
No - when they are released, they will be a free upgrade to all those who have purchased the originals ... the MSRD was free to begin with.

I'm now even happier to be a customer of DA (having bought AE plus Legacy of the Dragons and the Spell Treasury, IH, SRD, and 2 token packs). Was also pleasantly surprised with the AE graphics update. Thank you for supporting them like this.

Stuart
January 18th, 2007, 21:23
I'm now even happier to be a customer of DA (having bought AE plus Legacy of the Dragons and the Spell Treasury, IH, SRD, and 2 token packs). Was also pleasantly surprised with the AE graphics update. Thank you for supporting them like this.
No problem - I cannot promise a date as yet but please be assured that the updating of the rulesets and further support for what we have produced thus far is a priority.

We are also supporting iCON - please log on and join in the "mayhem" -it should be good.

Tailz Silver Paws
January 28th, 2007, 22:32
I am not certain if this has been covered yet, but how does the token box work in 2.0? Will there be some way of sorting tokens other than by bags?

Will there be a way a DM could use some form of sorting system??

Grey Mage
April 2nd, 2007, 03:05
I was wondering if there is a projected released date yet? I have looked over all the posts and it all looks very good, but... when is due to be released? We just rolled over into 2nd Quarter of 07 and there is still no news. I realize good things take time but some sort of "projected" date would be helpful.

Thanks,

Frank

Dragonstar
April 2nd, 2007, 23:37
There's a full-page ad in the April "Dungeon" magazine that says "available now".

Guess that means "soon."

Tailz Silver Paws
April 3rd, 2007, 08:03
There's a full-page ad in the April "Dungeon" magazine that says "available now".

Guess that means "soon."
well Fantasy Grounds is avalible now..... just not FG2.

False advertising!! Shame on you Smite Works!? :D

richvalle
April 3rd, 2007, 13:41
I'm not sure, but I bet you have to purchase and plan adds a few months in advance to get them into a magazine.

rv

Griogre
April 3rd, 2007, 20:14
Magazines use to have huge lead times for ads. I don't know if it's gotten any better (and it might have with the newer typesetting technology) but it use to be like 3-4 months. I know when we use to have ads in Computer Gaming World the lead time was huge and this always cause problems when the game slipped.

Tailz Silver Paws
April 4th, 2007, 01:05
Magazines use to have huge lead times for ads. I don't know if it's gotten any better (and it might have with the newer typesetting technology) but it use to be like 3-4 months. I know when we use to have ads in Computer Gaming World the lead time was huge and this always cause problems when the game slipped.
The lead times for inserting advertising material really depends these days on the magazine in question and the amount of "censorship" the magazine gets because of its clasification.

But its true, material for magazine advertisements have to be prepared in advance, how far in advance depends on the magazine. I've got one magazine that I insert material into that requires material to be booked and supplied 3 months in advance of the cover date. While some others we send material to only require about a fortnight, most are about a month - I've even at times had material inserted the day befor the magazine went to print - but those were normaly because someone had pulled out and we took their space in the magazine.

So it really depends on the magazine.

Jupp
April 5th, 2007, 21:00
You know, that's the worst kind of advertising you can get :) You see the ad that FG2 is out and run to the webpage to download it...only to see that FG2 is not there for you to download. Worst case scenario. I really like FG and use it often but this shouldn't happen.

Casamordius
April 5th, 2007, 21:39
I think at least it would be wise to put some information about FG 2 on the website... an not only in the deepest corner of the forum.
with some nice screenshots to show what we are all waiting for...

greowhiste
April 6th, 2007, 19:31
I second that motion. I feel like I'm being teased.

kimba
April 7th, 2007, 00:34
I would think that they would remedy that real quick before someone get all lawyered up witha bait and switch tactic.

I hope that does not happen as this program is the best and FG2 will be even better. PLEASE SMITE WORKS pput something up on the site to let people know what is going on.

greowhiste
April 7th, 2007, 16:23
well they have put up these journal entries, which are nice i suppose, so we *kinda* know what's going on. What i would really appreciate from them is more screenshots or features. In this thread they put up screenshots in OCTOBER of last year. Perhaps they feel that posting something like that again is too close to the release to confuse or incite us, which is why i feel teased.

I'm actually beginning a new campaign using this software starting this week and we have been testing FG for the past couple weeks. i was hoping we would all be able to start on the new software since i don't have the savvy to rework rulesets or anything and i wanted to begin writing in text and characters without having to double my workload later, and, it would just be nice to use the functions talked about in this 2.0 update thread in the new game; i find them far superior to the program that currently exists.

Please Smite Works, you're our only hope.

Dachannien
April 7th, 2007, 16:41
There's no worries about lawyers, because there's no damages that result from FG2 being released later than the ad says. But they should at least consider coming up with an estimated release date so that new folks who come here because of the magazine ad don't leave in confusion.

kimba
April 9th, 2007, 21:57
if they get the old vs. the new? is that not bait and switch?

Cantstanzya
April 9th, 2007, 22:24
if they get the old vs. the new? is that not bait and switch?No because they will get the new for free when it comes out. Haven't you ever bought software before? There are always delays. I remember that EB Games was taking pre-orders for Duke Nukem Forever back in 1998. Here it is 2007 and still no game. But they took peoples money anyway and their customers got nothing in return. Here at least you get the software, and a free upgrade when it comes out.

The High Druid
April 10th, 2007, 00:28
True, but inaccurate advertising is something they jump down on heavily in the UK and EU (and I think Smite Works is EU based) so it is something best avoided.

Dachannien
April 10th, 2007, 13:24
"Bait and switch" presupposes that there is some effort expended on the part of the buyer in approaching the seller to purchase something, only to find out that the advertised product isn't available, but here's something else instead, typically with some deception involved regarding what's actually being sold. It's pretty easy to see that there's no effort or expense in visiting this website and finding out that version 2 isn't available yet.

Combine that with the free upgrade, and there's no bait and switch here.

kimba
April 18th, 2007, 01:09
"Bait and switch" presupposes that there is some effort expended on the part of the buyer in approaching the seller to purchase something, only to find out that the advertised product isn't available, but here's something else instead, typically with some deception involved regarding what's actually being sold. It's pretty easy to see that there's no effort or expense in visiting this website and finding out that version 2 isn't available yet.

Combine that with the free upgrade, and there's no bait and switch here.

I disagree. but the point will be moot in 6 days (I hope) I see nothing other than in the forums that even states there is a 2.0. someone who see the add in a magazine and comes here to purchase it. may not notice they are getting version 1 with a 1.5 patch untill they have put down the money. There are a lot of not so savy people out there.
I do agree however that since if someone buys FG they will automatically get 2.0 when it comes out. So in effect there is no bait and switch.
That being said the same people who would buy it thinking they were getting 2.0 as the add states, would be the ones who would not realise that either. and would be the ones to cause problems.

Look I discouted my own bait and switch argument! LOL

Cantstanzya
April 18th, 2007, 01:31
someone who see the add in a magazine and comes here to purchase it. may not notice they are getting version 1 with a 1.5 patch untill they have put down the money. There are a lot of not so savy people out there. If they are not so savy, and don't know the difference between 1.5 and 2.0, what difference would it make which one they got? If they know so little about the product they wouldn't know what features were in 2.0 and therefore wouldn't know what features they were missing seeing as how all they had seen is a one page advertisement. As pointed out before, they will get a free upgrade so it doesn't really matter. I think you're thinking that Smite Works is out to get money from people by tricking them is unfounded.

kimba
April 18th, 2007, 02:01
I think you're thinking that Smite Works is out to get money from people by tricking them is unfounded.

in all honesty I was just playing devils advocate. I Do think the lack of information if infuriating and a bad business call. But I do not think that they are trying to steal money. :pirate:
I work a helpdesk and frankly see the worst idiots out there and the dumber they are the more they complain and make waves. it is these people with just enough skills to get on line download a program then discover it is not what they thought they were getting. Then cause problems. You and I are smarter than that (I hope) but you have to consider that while a person is smart, People are stupid. they do things blindly then wonder what happened.

Case in point - the emails we received daily about your paypal account dell computer order that you did not purchase. people will click the link fillout the form it provides and give the bad guy all the information they want. They do this because it works. They may get only 1 out of 100 but they get them none the less. :(

I personally would hate if Smitworks got into a stupid legal battle of something like this and lose in court. They go out of business and I missout on one of the best D&D tools ever made.
In the states at least this happens alot more than it should. did you hear about the lady who bought coffee at McDonalds the spilled it in her lap, the sued and won against McDonalds because they did not have a notice on the lids that said it was hot?
Ever read the warning lables on items and think what sort of an idiot would ever do that. Well let me assure you the warning lable is there because someone did just that. sued and probably won.

No I do not think that Smite Works has or is doing anything wrong. but I do think they need to look out for the stupid people.:square:

Pardon andy typos above I had to write this quick.

Hitcher
April 19th, 2007, 13:02
Have i gotten it right that my current Fantasy Grounds 1.5 will be updateble free of charge to 2.0?

Or was I just misreading something?

Dupre
April 19th, 2007, 13:33
Have i gotten it right that my current Fantasy Grounds 1.5 will be updateble free of charge to 2.0?

That's correct.

devinnight
April 20th, 2007, 15:44
Will current beta-testers need to download and install the new version or will the game be patched and brought up to date throught the current update process.

Thanks.
-D

Dupre
April 22nd, 2007, 19:55
Will current beta-testers need to download and install the new version or will the game be patched and brought up to date throught the current update process.

You will need to install the new version. The beta patcher is not fit for the job.

Ricboy
April 22nd, 2007, 23:31
Considering the counter, what time should this be available? Euh in Eastern Time...

kimba
April 23rd, 2007, 00:04
Considering the counter, what time should this be available? Euh in Eastern Time...

take the number down to the second (not the last number which is tenths of a second) divide that by 60. that will give you minutes left. then divide by 60 again to get the hours.

I have 8 hours to go. making the release time PST midnight.

chiefarchon
August 24th, 2007, 11:44
Ive just purchased FGII and im guessing that this is the settup that I now have because it looks the same. my big question is.

How do you show weapon finness which uses Dex instead of Str.

I suppose you could define it as a ranged weapon with 0 range but thats not the best option in my oppinion :)

scytale2
August 24th, 2007, 13:17
Ive just purchased FGII and im guessing that this is the settup that I now have because it looks the same. my big question is.

How do you show weapon finness which uses Dex instead of Str.

I suppose you could define it as a ranged weapon with 0 range but thats not the best option in my oppinion :)

It's a good question, but I guess can only be done by manually adjusting the weapon bonuses with the mouse wheel to reflect your DEX bonus instead of your STR bonus.

Since it is a standard (and popular) D20 feat, it could easily be incorporated into the rulesystem, as many could, but aren't - yet.

Ram Tyr
August 24th, 2007, 14:06
Use your hotkeys! If you play with them you will see that you can set your hotkeys to allow for attacks when this feat qualifies.

Later.

Griogre
August 24th, 2007, 17:30
As you mentioned the absolute easiest way to show weapon finesse is the flip the weapon type to range (ie click the axe so it changes to arrows) and ignore the range. The range portion is just text to remind the player what it is and can be safely left blank.

Scytale2 is also correct that you could just use the mouse wheel to change the modifiers.

However, Ramza0Tyr is right - the more you use FG the more you will find out how useful the 96 hotkeys and mini lists are. You seldom need to open your character sheet if you have well designed hot keys and mini lists.

Hamish
August 24th, 2007, 19:47
Is there any way to reference database values from a hotkey? I'm playing a rogue, and as we all know that means my main strength is skills. I have plenty of useful skills at a decent level. I also prefer to use the hotkeys to make my skill rolls. "/die 1d20+7 Open Lock" for example. The only thing that really annoys me though, is having to delete all hotkeys when I level. As far as I know, you can't make these hotkeys dynamic, so they just pick up your total skill bonus. And you can't even edit them to just change your bonus, you have to delete them and recreate them.

So unless I'm missing something, they also have serious limitations. And I'm not even talking about the zero-ing out problem.

Anyone have any tips?

Griogre
August 24th, 2007, 19:56
You are correct on the skills and having hotkeys linked in someway so that win a mod changes the linked hot key is also changes is a most asked thing.

The only tip I can offer is that if you just put the skill mod on the hotkey bar it is much faster to update because you can just drag and drop the mod from the character sheet when you level instead of making die codes for every skill.