PDA

View Full Version : Seeking opinions: Running for kids D&D (BECMI) Basic Set 1 vs 5thEd Basic FreePDF

Thete
July 8th, 2019, 03:01
As someone who has always been more into CoC/WFRP. I would like some advice on introducing D&D to kids around 9yo with adult running sessions.
I’m tossing up between the BECMI/Cyclopedia/Basic Starter Set rules or the 5thEd free Basic rules. I’d be open to something OSR if it was appropriate for young girls and boys but I’m unfamiliar with the options.
Does anyone have an opinion on which would be a better option?

LordEntrails
July 8th, 2019, 03:45
5E.

First, young kids are not going to care what edition it is. And, if they do, they will want the latest, not something 30 years old.

5E is much more coherent. It has a solid set of rules that do not require numerous houserules to get to work. If the kids pick this up and spread it to their friends, their friends are going to most liekly play 5E, because its' what's available at Target, at the game stores, and it's what is being played on 95% of the streams they might go watch. Plus, 5E does not have all the gender discrimation built into it like BECMI did (i.e. gender based strength max etc) not does 5E have all the gender.. derogatory images that BECMI etc do.

The only reason to play BECMI is for you. Not for the kids.

Thete
July 8th, 2019, 04:10
Very good points. Yeah gender based limitations on fantasy heroes is definitely unnecessary relic of a past form of make believe.
If they do go on to take an interest, there is no doubt the 5th ed players handbook is probably visually both more inspiring and affirming to my daughters.

GavinRuneblade
July 9th, 2019, 07:49
Very good points. Yeah gender based limitations on fantasy heroes is definitely unnecessary relic of a past form of make believe.
If they do go on to take an interest, there is no doubt the 5th ed players handbook is probably visually both more inspiring and affirming to my daughters.

= O.o =

= o.0 =

What gender-based limitations in BECMI are you talking about? I am looking through my copy and I don't see any rule about only male fighters or anything like that.

The 5e rules definitely use more inclusive language throughout the book, but that's something totally different.

On topic, WotC had a decent article on DMing for kids her (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/being-dungeon-master-kids)e. And I've got others I'll track down soon, I didn't keep links but there's a lot of good articles on D&D for kids.

damned
July 9th, 2019, 08:33
Id be going 5E for sure.
It is a polished and simple system.

There were some strength maximums - like Human Female had max strength of 17 or something like that.
As to the derogatory art - i think that is probably the wrong word - some of it may have objectified females in some way but even that was pretty limited in most D&D products from my recollection
Plenty of other fantasy artwork forgot to clad their females in job suitable safety gear - and even then there was usually a barbarian male wearing less again.

Thete
July 9th, 2019, 13:55
= O.o =

= o.0 =

What gender-based limitations in BECMI are you talking about? I am looking through my copy and I don't see any rule about only male fighters or anything like that.

The 5e rules definitely use more inclusive language throughout the book, but that's something totally different.

On topic, WotC had a decent article on DMing for kids her (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/being-dungeon-master-kids)e. And I've got others I'll track down soon, I didn't keep links but there's a lot of good articles on D&D for kids.

Did that come across as overly righteous? Sorry. I meant the Strength cap LordEntrails mentioned. My first RPG was BECMI Red Set, I honestly can't remember if there is a cap...yikes I may have been unfair, was it AD&D that had strength caps and not so basic??!.
BECMI...I have done you a disservice.
Looking at the Set 1 Players Manual.. Yeah there is no gendered strength caps that I can spot...and the art in that particular set is pretty darn good, the cleric looks pretty badass, when she isn't dead! My girls would be pretty meh with the first warrior they identify with dying that soon though XD.

Thanks for the WotC link!

Thete
July 9th, 2019, 13:58
Id be going 5E for sure.
It is a polished and simple system.

There were some strength maximums - like Human Female had max strength of 17 or something like that.
As to the derogatory art - i think that is probably the wrong word - some of it may have objectified females in some way but even that was pretty limited in most D&D products from my recollection
Plenty of other fantasy artwork forgot to clad their females in job suitable safety gear - and even then there was usually a barbarian male wearing less again.

Checking out the 5E basic free pdf ...there's a lot of content in it!

LordEntrails
July 10th, 2019, 00:03
Checking out the 5E basic free pdf ...there's a lot of content in it!
Also check out the 5E SRD. It has some additional content (though its designed for developers, not play)

hawkwind
July 10th, 2019, 05:47
Up until recently I would of gone with the 5e consensus however last year my 11 year old son joined a dnd game at the local library run by a teacher and it's 1e and kids all love it mainly down to the quality of the Teachers DMing skills. The game got so popular I had to run additional game and I'm using a rules light version called Black Hack and again the kids love it.
My advice would be to run what you are comfortable with,nothings kills the mood in a game especially with kids than stopping to look up rules.

hawkwind
July 10th, 2019, 05:48
Of you want good free version of basic DnD try this https://necroticgnome.com/collections/old-school-essentials/products/old-school-essentials-basic-rules 100% compatible and no sexist art work well the free version has no art at all!

damned
July 10th, 2019, 06:14
Ultimately the best game to run them through is the one you know best so you can concentrate more on the story and less on the rules.
Good work on your kids game hawkwind.

Thete
July 11th, 2019, 04:26
Of you want good free version of basic DnD try this https://necroticgnome.com/collections/old-school-essentials/products/old-school-essentials-basic-rules 100% compatible and no sexist art work well the free version has no art at all!

The essentials books look very approachable. Is that what the 1E Dm is using to run?.

Regarding the suggestions of run what you are comfortable with, that sounds very sound. One thing I have discovered is kids are very responsive when the setting is something they are already immersed in - a cartoon or franchise.

hawkwind
July 11th, 2019, 08:53
the 1e dm still has his original hard covers and has never looked at another edition in thirty years! There is going to be a 1e expansion for the essential line later this yer with the extra classes geared to work with basic

Thete
July 12th, 2019, 02:29
the 1e dm still has his original hard covers and has never looked at another edition in thirty years! There is going to be a 1e expansion for the essential line later this yer with the extra classes geared to work with basic

Now, that, in a way is a great privilege, to have a game run in an authentic old school manner. And then to have your sessions running a modern interpretation..those kids are getting a great combination of offerings there, a kind of living cultural history lesson :)

Varsuuk
July 12th, 2019, 07:14
I was looking into this some time back when my son was younger. You may want to check out some modules by either Legendary’s “New Beginnings”(not sure if remember that right) and Trail PF the Apprentice line. It is avail for 5e and is even on FG. AAW’s A Givingn Time, A Frightful Time etc are good for younger folks but are a little lighter in content and probably (good or bad) will require you to add to them.

Finally, if they enjoy this - you may want to muck about with some other “silly” things like the new modern Bunnies & Burrows from Frog God Games. They have a light version of the rules for free. However before you consider this - I’d make sure you read to your kid’s Watership Down or at the least watch one or both of the animated movies/series.

Finally, for slightly older like 11-12+ from WotC there is a new “starter set” which is Stranger Things themed if your kid(s) watched those shows. I’m estimating age based on my kid watching the shows. Other than fast forwarding past the poolside scene the rest was fine for him at 11 even (ymmv)

GunbunnyFuFu
July 12th, 2019, 16:22
Having DM'd for a group of kids for the past 2 1/2 years, I think it's what you feel more comfortable with, as indicated in a post above. When you know the rules, you can concentrate on the story, and more important, the immersion aspect of the game (voices, things like that). I grew up with BECMI, but it's been years since I played it and know 5e rules well enough now that I'm comfortable running it. For my group, I ran LMoP. The kids love it.

GBFF

Targas
July 13th, 2019, 09:35
Depending on the age the kids have, you might be interested in those adventures here: https://dndadventuresforkids.com/

Gwydion
July 13th, 2019, 13:35
I know you said BECMI, etc. and not 5E, but if you go 5E, I converted a couple of the Playground Adventures that are geared toward kids. A Friend in Need (my girls loved it) and Pixies on Parade:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PAFGAFIN5E

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PGPOP5EFG

Thete
July 15th, 2019, 01:28

That's interesting, I must admit I am not clear on how BECMI 'Basic' differs from the B/X 'Basic' that essentials line covers, let alone the differences between basic and 1E. I'm amazed at how succinct those essentials books are.

I was looking into this some time back when my son was younger. You may want to check out some modules by either Legendary’s “New Beginnings”(not sure if remember that right) and Trail PF the Apprentice line. It is avail for 5e and is even on FG. AAW’s A Givingn Time, A Frightful Time etc are good for younger folks but are a little lighter in content and probably (good or bad) will require you to add to them.

Finally, if they enjoy this - you may want to muck about with some other “silly” things like the new modern Bunnies & Burrows from Frog God Games. They have a light version of the rules for free. However before you consider this - I’d make sure you read to your kid’s Watership Down or at the least watch one or both of the animated movies/series.

Finally, for slightly older like 11-12+ from WotC there is a new “starter set” which is Stranger Things themed if your kid(s) watched those shows. I’m estimating age based on my kid watching the shows. Other than fast forwarding past the poolside scene the rest was fine for him at 11 even (ymmv)

Thanks for putting Bunnies & Burrows on my radar. Here is another animal-as-protagonists one that will gain instant interest with my feline enamored kids: Magical Kitties Save the Day. It's Kickstarter starts this week, with a count down ticker no less!
https://atlas-games.com/magicalkitties

Having DM'd for a group of kids for the past 2 1/2 years, I think it's what you feel more comfortable with, as indicated in a post above. When you know the rules, you can concentrate on the story, and more important, the immersion aspect of the game (voices, things like that). I grew up with BECMI, but it's been years since I played it and know 5e rules well enough now that I'm comfortable running it. For my group, I ran LMoP. The kids love it.
GBFF

That's my dilema, the simplicity and ubiquity of BECMI basic really appeals to me but I think it's partly just that I remember how good those books were at on-boarding me to the game, but my kids won't need that as I'll be teaching them the rules anyway, and 5E art and asthetic is so polished and appealing...5E will be the destination game in a few years but I think there will be a few other games alone the way.

The more I think about it, it'll be a little while before my kids are ready for something like Stranger Things or OSR dungeoneering, its definitely on my list but right now, they are happier with lower stakes. But it won't be long really :)

Depending on the age the kids have, you might be interested in those adventures here: https://dndadventuresforkids.com/

That looks like a great resource, will deffinitely be spending some time there.

I know you said BECMI, etc. and not 5E, but if you go 5E, I converted a couple of the Playground Adventures that are geared toward kids. A Friend in Need (my girls loved it) and Pixies on Parade:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PAFGAFIN5E

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PGPOP5EFG
Nice work Gwydion, they look inspirational, I will take a look.

damned
July 15th, 2019, 02:02
If you want a system that kids get - its Dungeon World.
You as the GM though would have to learn it...

That is why its often best sticking with stuff you know the mechanics for and shaping the content to fit.

As easy as B/X was - 5E is today - and its more logically designed.
I have plenty of fond B/X memories but mostly I reckon its because it was my entry into this hobby and it was magical.
5E would do the same for your kids today.

Thete
July 15th, 2019, 03:42
If you want a system that kids get - its Dungeon World.
You as the GM though would have to learn it...

That is why its often best sticking with stuff you know the mechanics for and shaping the content to fit.

As easy as B/X was - 5E is today - and its more logically designed.
I have plenty of fond B/X memories but mostly I reckon its because it was my entry into this hobby and it was magical.
5E would do the same for your kids today.

Dungeon World! I haven't read it but I've been hearing a lot lately about it. Particularly enjoying the re-examination of old school modules through a Dungeon World lense in the Fear of a Black Dragon podcast
https://www.gauntlet-rpg.com/fear-of-a-black-dragon

If its play style is good for kids, I'll have to promote it to top of the reading list.

I agree with the maxim of sticking with the systems that you know, but unfortunately for me that's CoC, WFRPv3, neither of which are simple enough.

I have found Tails of Equestria has been perfect for an introduction to RPGs for my 6-9yos. Its D&D inspired mechanics with just 3 Characteristic stats, talents and leveling up make it a great introduction.

damned
July 15th, 2019, 03:58
Its not designed for kids but the way it plays is easy for kids to understand.
Its story driven - they tell you what they want to do and you tell them what move to roll against.
Kids play like they are action heroes in the movies - its all flashy stuff - very narrative.
Dungeon World takes the narrative and gives you simple moves to roll and the story evolves.

Bidmaron
July 15th, 2019, 22:24
Don’t forget this:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/131972

That looks pretty good. It is Pathfinder ruleset which is like 3.5

Varsuuk
July 15th, 2019, 23:18
I mentioned that series in my recap, it is available in 5e flavor so it makes it more in line with either/or. I’m gonna go on a limb here and call PF 1.0 considerable more “involved” than 5e.

DwightLee
July 18th, 2019, 10:20
I would go 5E, as what they learn about the game will apply to what others are playing going forward, but agree that they will love it regardless of your decision.