PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2E NPC Generation Module

Frankison
July 7th, 2019, 22:54
AD&D 2E NPC Generator UPDATED 6/6/2021

Good afternoon all. Thanks to the recent changes to the AD&D 2E Ruleset I have included several new options and features to this Mod.

Generate a Random NPC Statblock

Roll a random NPC of any level or race to include a random name, Class, Alignment, Damage, and spells if applicable
Roll for a specific Class by Race. This can be done for levels 1-20 or there are options for increments of 4 levels. (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc...)
Spells Require the Players Handbook.
Equipment generator tables require players handbook and Dungeon Master Guide for Magic items.

Generate a Random Townsfolk NPC
I also included an option to generate a non-stat block Non-hero NPC. Intended for making random townsfolk.
It will generate the following:

Name
Sex
Race
Ability Scores
Occupation/Social Rank
Hiring Cost if any
Personality Traits

Generate Gear Based on Class
I have added the option of rolling for Combat Gear and some coinage. The results will generate a treasure parcel. Weapons can be dragged from the Parcel to the NPC for use on the actions tab.

Reference Manual
A REF Manual was added with several improvements for searching for the desired Race/Class to be generated.

Known Bugs:
Sometimes an error occurs when mages and clerics are rolled as they roll lots of tables. Simply click the generate button again.
Some spells will not load either because they have a "," or a "/" in the description. These cause issues with the stat block import and thus are ignored.

Recommendations:
Cleric and Druids will get all of the spells from the PHB according to their spheres. This causes them to be quite large imports sometimes. Its recommended the DM deletes spells not commonly used and only keeping those the cleric usually memorizes and a few extras.

Unknown Bugs:
There are a ton of tables that went into making this. I'm bound to miss things. I ask that any errors found to be reported here and please ping me in Discord if I fail to notice it quickly. Thank you for your assistance.

UPDATES 6/6/2021

Moved Spell Tables from stat block generator. Spell tables are in the Ref Manual. They output to chat and can be dragged to the stat block from there.
Spells and powers can be added to NPC's after the fact with the Import Powers/Spells feature on the NPC Sheet.

How To Use the Generator
Click on the Templates button in the story section of FG.
Click the Dropdown menus to navigate to any particular generator you want to use. Or look through them all!!
Statblocks can be imported as NPC's by using the 2E Import Statblock feature. Simply copy and paste the stat block.
Fix up any mundane stuff like AC, Weapons, Spell Memorization, actual xps, etc... and your NPC is ready to go.

galfaroth2000
July 8th, 2019, 17:40
Nice, thank you!

taoistpunk
July 9th, 2019, 16:49
This is very useful! The more fleshed out the better (Weapons, Powers/Spells, etc)

Thanks!

Frankison
July 9th, 2019, 23:22
So I can't really add weapons, I can, however, add damage. Something I'm kicking around is taking the Damage variables from the various weapons that classes are allowed, and making it roll randomly. Maybe give each class a number of rolls equal to their weapon proficiencies.

Some caveats to this include: Attacks will just say Attack #1, #2, etc..., also all attacks will be slashing so that will have to be edited manually.

There will always be some editing required obviously I can't make tables think of every eventuality especially with something like 2E. The intent of this Mod is to fill out the mundane stuff and give an xps base for goons. I wouldn't use it for notable NPC's like major party villans.

Frankison
July 19th, 2019, 05:04
New Module Upload
Tons of New Features!
Roll By Race/Level Range
Create Townsfolk
Name Generator
Spells Generator
Lots more.

JohnD
July 19th, 2019, 05:12
Nice. Downloaded!

Frankison
July 19th, 2019, 09:52
I should note I'm not opposed to giving out the xml file for this if someone wants it. It's pretty crazy and unless you understand my mind it probably won't be much help. But little things like adding more names wouldn't be too difficult.

Talyn
July 19th, 2019, 12:25
The XML is in the .mod, it's already shared. :)

Frankison
July 19th, 2019, 18:11
You're right. Brain not working very well at 1:52 in the AM.

Frankison
October 26th, 2019, 04:49
Major updates to this Module:
References Manual Added.
Several "Bugs" Fixed.
Equipment Generator by Class/Level Added.
over 100+ Given Names added for both Male and Female Humans.

malditobill
November 1st, 2019, 15:18
Excuse my noob question, but how do I install this? just copy to the modules folder? cant get it to work this way

EDIT: Done... forgot to load the module *facepalm

Davide87
April 13th, 2020, 16:28

Hello! Just downloaded and used this very useful tool, but it seems there are some problems...

What could it be?

Regards

Frankison
April 13th, 2020, 23:29

Hello! Just downloaded and used this very useful tool, but it seems there are some problems...

What could it be?

Regards

Are you using FG Unity by chance?

Frankison
April 14th, 2020, 00:19
Some things I would try.

o Ensure you are using FG Classic.
o Turn off any themes you are using.
o Make sure you have the Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide (If using the equipment generator) Modules Loaded

Davide87
April 14th, 2020, 10:36
Hi, I'm using unity version, actually.

Frankison
April 15th, 2020, 00:10
I would try classic. I won't be troubleshooting unity issues till it goes live.

Davide87
April 15th, 2020, 01:00
Ok, understood. Thanks!

Frankison
August 21st, 2020, 02:27
Updated~

JohnD
August 21st, 2020, 03:18
Updated~

Thank you!

readymeal
August 21st, 2020, 09:31
Updated~

voice command does not seem to work or it s not recognising my accent. Can you look into that?:D

ruedas
August 22nd, 2020, 12:00
brilliant Mod, thanks a lot!!

TXCBoy36
May 12th, 2021, 05:00
Does this mod work with Unity with its most recent update?

Frankison
May 16th, 2021, 22:28
I have been tinkering with some new tables on this mod. I'm likely going to separate the spell import because it errors out. I will have an updated mod out very soon.

Morenu
May 16th, 2021, 23:41
Thats great, Thanks!

You list this in your signature:
Converted Modules: Faiths & Avatars (2e), Demihuman Deities (2e), Tome of Magic (2e)

I own all the 2e bundle items, but do not see faith and avatars or demihuman dieties. did you do these personally or are they going to be released in FG somepoint?

thx

JohnD
May 17th, 2021, 03:44
Thats great, Thanks!

You list this in your signature:
Converted Modules: Faiths & Avatars (2e), Demihuman Deities (2e), Tome of Magic (2e)

I own all the 2e bundle items, but do not see faith and avatars or demihuman dieties. did you do these personally or are they going to be released in FG somepoint?

thx

They're right there in the bundle.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2E09585

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=WOTC2ETSR9516

Frankison
May 30th, 2021, 00:48
Sooo... I am struggling finding a way to get this Module to work in both FGC and FGU. I want to take a quick pulse check and see how many of you are using it in FGC. I'm tempted to just rebuild the entire thing in FGU.

galfaroth2000
May 30th, 2021, 01:02
Sooo... I am struggling finding a way to get this Module to work in both FGC and FGU. I want to take a quick pulse check and see how many of you are using it in FGC. I'm tempted to just rebuild the entire thing in FGU.

FGC user here

Frankison
May 30th, 2021, 01:29
Can pretty much disregard. I tried to make a very simple version of my module and its not working. I sent a screenshot to the house of healing. Hopefully I can get it looked at. I don't see a way I can make it work in FGU.

Morenu
May 31st, 2021, 05:11
can an NPC created in classic be easily transferred to unity? If so, can the mod be used with the free version of FGC? If that is a yes then could you just keep FGC open in the background for NPC generation and run in unity otherwise? clunky I am sure but a work around none the less (maybe even have a "transfer to unity" button that moves the files for you? and If I am WAY off base, sorry to waste the braincells.

Frankison
June 6th, 2021, 18:01
I create all of my modules in FGC just in case I want to publish them. Any NPC's created there can be moved to FGU without issue (usually). Sometimes updates break stuff. The latest update has fixed the issue with the colons breaking the story template generator.
I haven't tested it very heavily yet but it seems to be working.
Some quick notes I removed all of the spells from the initial generator since it was breaking on occasion due to the sheer size of the output for higher levels.
I also updated a few of the rolls in relation to Hit points and a few other quality of life improvements.
In short the module should now be working both FGC and FGU.

Frankison
June 6th, 2021, 20:17
Whelp looks like tables no longer automatically put in a semi-colon between columns on story output. /sigh This is going to take some time to fix. At least it is in both FGC and FGU so I can actually fix this without breaking one of them.

I think I can work on this during my game tonight. I should have an update out by this evening.

EDIT
or not, Now FGC output is broken. Time to go open another help ticket. Colon issue that was FGU exclusive is now a thing on FGC and not FGU. So I can get the module working on FGU tonight but not FGC. They will need to fix FGC story templates now.

RESmeCUE
March 27th, 2022, 18:38
AD&D 2E NPC Generator UPDATED 6/6/2021

Good afternoon all. Thanks to the recent changes to the AD&D 2E Ruleset I have included several new options and features to this Mod.

Generate a Random NPC Statblock

Roll a random NPC of any level or race to include a random name, Class, Alignment, Damage, and spells if applicable
Roll for a specific Class by Race. This can be done for levels 1-20 or there are options for increments of 4 levels. (1-4, 5-8, 9-12, etc...)
Spells Require the Players Handbook.
Equipment generator tables require players handbook and Dungeon Master Guide for Magic items.

Generate a Random Townsfolk NPC
I also included an option to generate a non-stat block Non-hero NPC. Intended for making random townsfolk.
It will generate the following:

Name
Sex
Race
Ability Scores
Occupation/Social Rank
Hiring Cost if any
Personality Traits

Generate Gear Based on Class
I have added the option of rolling for Combat Gear and some coinage. The results will generate a treasure parcel. Weapons can be dragged from the Parcel to the NPC for use on the actions tab.

Reference Manual
A REF Manual was added with several improvements for searching for the desired Race/Class to be generated.

Known Bugs:
Sometimes an error occurs when mages and clerics are rolled as they roll lots of tables. Simply click the generate button again.
Some spells will not load either because they have a "," or a "/" in the description. These cause issues with the stat block import and thus are ignored.

Recommendations:
Cleric and Druids will get all of the spells from the PHB according to their spheres. This causes them to be quite large imports sometimes. Its recommended the DM deletes spells not commonly used and only keeping those the cleric usually memorizes and a few extras.

Unknown Bugs:
There are a ton of tables that went into making this. I'm bound to miss things. I ask that any errors found to be reported here and please ping me in Discord if I fail to notice it quickly. Thank you for your assistance.

UPDATES 6/6/2021

Moved Spell Tables from stat block generator. Spell tables are in the Ref Manual. They output to chat and can be dragged to the stat block from there.
Spells and powers can be added to NPC's after the fact with the Import Powers/Spells feature on the NPC Sheet.

How To Use the Generator
Click on the Templates button in the story section of FG.
Click the Dropdown menus to navigate to any particular generator you want to use. Or look through them all!!
Statblocks can be imported as NPC's by using the 2E Import Statblock feature. Simply copy and paste the stat block.
Fix up any mundane stuff like AC, Weapons, Spell Memorization, actual xps, etc... and your NPC is ready to go.

Is this compatible with FG Unity? If so, where do I place this mod so I can access it?

Thank you!