PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher TRPG ruleset

metazeta
July 1st, 2019, 10:01
Hi everyone,
I would like to announce the beta release of our fan-made Witcher TRPG ruleset, made with the blessing of the editor Talsorian.

We are a team of three fellow french developpers and we have been working on this new ruleset for a few months now.
At this point we would need the public to take a look at it and give us some feedback to make it even better.
Please add an issue on github for every imperfection / or idea of improvement you encounter.

This Beta 0.2 release features :
- A partially automated character sheet (skill roll, attack, defense, spells, wounds threshold,...)
- A NPC sheet
- Modifiers
- Combat tracker with initiative handling, hp and stamina.
- A complete rework of the theme to recall the most recent video game and get you into the mood.

Please give use some feedback preferably by putting an issue on github.

you can download this release on https://github.com/Althea21/witcher_fg_ruleset/releases

here you will also find a bestiary, a calendar and a spells module.

Happy gaming.

damned
July 1st, 2019, 10:05
Well done guys!

metazeta
July 1st, 2019, 11:25
Thanks, the Talsorian team has been awesome to allow us to distribute the ruleset free of charge. With some artwork, spells and a bestiary. I hope it will be put to good use.

Samzagas
July 3rd, 2019, 21:02
Nice work! My players are going to love having a dedicated ruleset.

sylv0308
November 13th, 2019, 10:21
Hello there,
For those who are interested, we published a new version of the ruleset this week.
Changelog and download available here : https://github.com/Althea21/witcher_fg_ruleset/releases

Don't hesitate to send us your feedback using the issue section of github.

garrion_sw
January 1st, 2020, 21:24
I'm getting the following errors when loading into FGU:

[1/1/2020 3:14:33 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[1/1/2020 3:14:48 PM] [NOTICE] Requesting cloud server.
[1/1/2020 3:14:52 PM] [NOTICE] Connected to game server.
[1/1/2020 3:14:52 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene exiting.
[1/1/2020 3:14:52 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene starting.
[1/1/2020 3:15:12 PM] [WARNING] framedef: Could not find image file. (WitcherTRPG) (graphics/graphics_frames.xml) ()
[1/1/2020 3:15:12 PM] [WARNING] framedef: Could not find image file. (WitcherTRPG) (graphics/graphics_frames.xml) ()
[1/1/2020 3:15:13 PM] [WARNING] framedef: Could not find image file. (WitcherTRPG) (graphics/graphics_frames.xml) ()
[1/1/2020 3:15:18 PM] [WARNING] icon: Could not find image file. (WitcherTRPG) (graphics/graphics_icons.xml) ()
[1/1/2020 3:15:19 PM] [WARNING] icon: Could not find image file. (WitcherTRPG) (graphics/graphics_icons.xml) (graphics/icons/arrow_sm_down.png)
[1/1/2020 3:15:21 PM] [WARNING] icon: Could not find image file. (WitcherTRPG) (graphics/graphics_icons.xml) ()
[1/1/2020 3:15:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Error loading ruleset XML file (WitcherTRPG) (strings/strings_campaign2.xml): '', hexadecimal value 0x1E, is an invalid character. Line 309, position 156.
[1/1/2020 3:15:25 PM] [NOTICE] Tabletop scene exiting.
[1/1/2020 3:15:25 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (customdie) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[1/1/2020 3:15:25 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Object (customdie) deleted without cleaning up attached Lua object.
[1/1/2020 3:15:25 PM] [NOTICE] Launcher scene starting.
[1/1/2020 3:15:25 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Lost connection to game server instance. Please return to launcher, and start game again.

EDIT
I went ahead and fixed this myself. There were several issues that needed resolved. There was a missing graphic and there were some errors in a couple of the XML files. The combat tab is still throwing an error that I'll troubleshoot later but at least the ruleset is loading now. Once I get it error free I'll share.

Moon Wizard
January 2nd, 2020, 00:36
For FGU-specific issues; please post in the FGU playtest forum as well.

Here is a version with all the files updated to remove errors/warnings on launch; and a list of files changed.

Since I'm travelling, I'll let the someone else handle getting this on the GitHub. Here is a list of the changed files:
campaign/record_char_main.xml
graphics/graphics_frames.xml
graphics/graphics_icons.xml
strings/strings_campaign2.xml

Regards,
JPG

metazeta
January 3rd, 2020, 13:48
Hey,
It has already been fixed in a separate github branch actually. It should be merged in the next release.

https://github.com/Althea21/witcher_fg_ruleset/tree/unity

FGU is not supported yet though

garrion_sw
January 4th, 2020, 16:37
Sorry, Moon Wizard. I saw all your responses to my string of posts. I was on a roll going through and testing all the rulesets. I'll redirect to the FGU subforum from here on out. It just seemed cluttered and rather than start a new thread I thought posting here would be better since this was a specific ruleset issue for the dev to look at and not a generic Unity issue.

Thanks

sylv0308
March 9th, 2020, 22:49
A new version is now available with complete combat automation (magic not handled yet, it's still wip).

Changelog and download available here : https://github.com/Althea21/witcher_fg_ruleset/releases

MadBeardMan
March 26th, 2020, 13:19
Hi,

I see you use GitHub for this, are you open to pull requests? I pulled this down last night and the theme hurts my eyes, plus doesn't layer properly on larger screen sizes.

Carry on the good work though, as I want to play The Witcher I don't mind giving some of my time on it.

Cheers,
MBM

sylv0308
March 26th, 2020, 15:42
Hi MadBeardMan

Yes ! Any help is welcome and you can make pull requests, we'll check them as soon as we can.

Thanks and stay safe
Sylv

Unkept
March 27th, 2020, 15:04
I actually tried to modify the theme on my own, for the same reason as MadBeardMan.

Unfortunately I'm completed new to FG / creating rulesets and so I am getting an error about d6 dice. :D

Really happy about this being available, as my planned local Witcher game is on hold due to the pandemic, but I would like to run it online.

If you could offer the theme as light colors I think that's all I would need to be able to use it. Great work!

-Joe

brazouck
May 5th, 2020, 09:48
Hello, i would like to change the character sheet language to french, How can I do it please ? Thanks a lot
I know how to modify MOD files in other rulesets, but I didn't find in this one where the values for skills names were

new_vision
May 21st, 2020, 07:08
So... anybody here still interested in a lighter theme? I did a small conversion (it is a wop, but covers almost everything and is useable) to be lighter on the eyes. It uses a lighter background, the main windows are of a coffee-like color.

sylv0308
May 21st, 2020, 08:37
@brazouk, I replied to your issue on git about that, tell me if your need further help

@new_vision : I'm interested to see what you did :) I can also put a link to download it (crediting you of course) if you want alongside the main download

new_vision
May 21st, 2020, 10:21
@new_vision : I'm interested to see what you did :) I can also put a link to download it (crediting you of course) if you want alongside the main download

Cool. I put it here and if you like it, you can put it into the main download on Github if you like.

sylv0308
May 21st, 2020, 10:34
Thank you :)
Tell me how do you want me to credit you (name, link to a personnal page, ...) and I'll add a link to your extension asap

new_vision
May 21st, 2020, 10:38
Name is enough, it is mentioned in the chat window of FG anyway. Hope you like it. Works best with "scaleui" set to 100. But that was the case for the original as well.

sylv0308
May 21st, 2020, 10:44
Ok I'll do it soon. Thank you for sharing your work.
I personally prefer very dark background, as I spend most of my waking hours behind a screen, my eyes get teary real quick with light backgrounds but I understand some people may have other preferences so I'm glad you did this !

Jorune
June 20th, 2020, 08:26
Was just checking the page to see if anyone one attempted a Witcher's ruleset for FG. Looking forward to trying this out. :-)

Galkurt
July 5th, 2020, 06:17
Any plans on icoporating the Witchers Journals Bestiary?

sylv0308
July 5th, 2020, 08:38
Was just checking the page to see if anyone one attempted a Witcher's ruleset for FG. Looking forward to trying this out. :-)

Hope you'll enjoy it. Let me know if you encounter any bug

sylv0308
July 5th, 2020, 08:40
Any plans on icoporating the Witchers Journals Bestiary?

I'll do it if Talsorian allow me to.

But next update will be focused more on Effects and Magic.

Galkurt
July 5th, 2020, 09:18
Thanks for the quick response mate, excited to see whats next!!

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2020, 17:28
@MetaZeta,
I am starting to ask all community developers to consider making an explicit licensing statement on their work. It helps future community developers honor your wishes in regards to your work. Their is a discussion and some suggested licensing statements here; On Licensing & Distributing Community Content (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53781-On-Licensing-Distribution-of-Community-Content). Thanks for your contribution and for considering adding a licensing statement to your original post :)

I also know you have talked with Talsorian and if they have allowed you to use any of the IP, please make sure you don't release anything of theirs without their permission. Thanks!

Jay_NOLA
July 31st, 2020, 12:18
I snagged the GenCon Witcher Bundle from dtrpg and downloaded the 4.0 version of the FG Ruleset and noticed a bug with the Tokens button. Having other library items disabled doesn't help. It looks like too many things are trying to show up in one row and tokens is getting merged with previous button. I still can select tokens an the button/item is getting merged with but not easily as. See the attached image.

Also, not sure if anyone missed this but Greg Bruni did a token set of Witcher monsters recently. See the link for more details.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/321319/Fantasy-Tokens-Set-25-Dark-Menagerie

Jay_NOLA
July 31st, 2020, 12:20
Duplicate post ignore.

Galkurt
July 31st, 2020, 12:28
Yer I snagged those tokens also.

sylv0308
July 31st, 2020, 13:27
Hi Jay,
With 1920x1080 resolution and scaleui 100 I don't have this problem (see image)

Do you have different settings ?

Jay_NOLA
August 1st, 2020, 12:33
Hey sylv038,

my laptop has as a 1280x800 resolution, that is the highest it can go to. I am using FG Classic.

Hurske
August 1st, 2020, 20:41
Hi, I just got a group together to run the Witcher, testing out some of the combat automation, and am pulling an error that stops the damage being applied to an enemy on the combat tracker, who should I message this to?

sylv0308
August 3rd, 2020, 13:43
Hi everybody,

Jay, you can try to hide temporary some features you don't use in the library such as vehicles for exemple.
What's strange is when I change my own resolution to match yours, the sidebar is changing to display icons on 2 columns (see image 38301).

Hurske, I got your issue report on Github, bug is fixed and a new release should be available soon.

Althea

Jay_NOLA
August 3rd, 2020, 21:17
Hey,
I'm not sure why the sidebar isn't showing the 2 columns. All my other rule sets do 2 columns. I have to switch off just about all the features for tokens to show up right. It does show up if I am using just the create PC features. I also don't have an Audio button like you do in your screenshot. Are you running a extra extension that is adding one?

Did notice these other bugs over the weekend.

Noticed these bugs on the Character Sheet:

1.) If you roll damage for a punch or kick a Script Error occurs.
2.) A Damage roll for a punch or kick shows the Type of attack is unknown. That the Non-lethal Effect can't be shown.
3.) If you accidently add dice or a number to the damage for a punch or kick you can't clear the damage so it resets back to the starting default.
4.) Getting an error when I roll damage for the Withers's Silver Sword but no problem with rolling damage for the Steel Sword. See the attached export of the character. I was entering in the pregens from Easy Mode over the weekend.

sylv0308
August 4th, 2020, 09:28
About the Audio icon yes, it's an extension indeed (I'm currently trying AudioOverseer for my next session)
Thanks for reporting the other bugs, I'm fixing this asap :)

Jay_NOLA
August 4th, 2020, 21:12
I Checked to see what happens if I enable the Audio Overseer extension and it causes the buttons to go onto 2 columns and display normally. Same thing occurs if I enable another extension that will add 1 or more extra buttons, like the Player Agency extension. I did a unzip of Player's one and it looks like that it is defying the location for one of the default ones.

Also, the buttons hasn't any for Spells. So you can't bring up spells that way. The lack of a spells button may be causing something I suspect I noticed that Player Agency actual sets a location for the button.

damned
August 4th, 2020, 23:47
Trenloe wrote an extension that will force the ruleset to display in a single column only. Try find that and see if it helps.

sylv0308
August 5th, 2020, 09:52
Hi guys !

New version available : https://github.com/Althea21/witcher_fg_ruleset/releases
(read the changelog before updating)

Hurske
August 7th, 2020, 02:31
Awesome!

MasterJena
October 12th, 2020, 14:16
Just wanted to say this has been a wonderful tool for our quarantine games, cheers!

The combat automation is absolutely awesome. Saves a ton of time. We even got more confortable around combat now compared to when we started our campaign with face-to-face home sessions. Used to have 1 combat every 2-3 games since we would reeeeally avoid it because of all the math involved. Now every session everyone is eager to fight off monsters! Thank you, guys.

sylv0308
October 12th, 2020, 14:28
Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm very glad you like it :o !