PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter: Blood Curses

Zodiac
July 1st, 2019, 07:12
Hi, I loaded Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter modual for D&D 5e and I'm trying to automate some of the blood curses. Primarily Blood Curse of Mutual Suffering and Blood Curse of the Marked. I know both of these probably involve IF: or IFT: language, but I'm just not savy enough to figure this out on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below are how the abilities read for reference:

Blood Curse of the Marked. As a bonus action. you can mark an enemy within 30 feet. Until the end of your turn, all crimson rite damage you deal to the target is doubled.
Amplify: You cause the marked target to lose resistance to your rite damage type until the beginning of your next turn.

Blood Curse of Mutual Suffering. As a bonus action, you can link to a creature within 30 feet for up to 1 minute, forcing them to share in any pain they inflict upon you. Each time you suffer any damage from the cursed creature, this curse deals necrotic damage equal to half of the damage you suffered. This curse then ends.
Amplify: This curse instead deals necrotic damage equal to the damage you suffered and it ignores Necrotic resistance.

Zacchaeus
July 1st, 2019, 09:51
You will not really be able to create effects which will help you automate most of these kinds of things.

You can certainly create an effect of marked for the first one as a reminder as to which target was chosen. When you do damage don't target the enemy but roll into chat. You can then right click over that damage in the chat window and select double and then drag that result onto the target. For the amplify thing I assume that this only comes into play if the target has resistance to the damage type. If so you could use VULN: <damagetype> and place that on the target, before rolling damage, or the DM could switch off the resistance in the CT for that roll.

Again for the second one you can create an effect as a reminder, but dealing with the second part is a lot more tricky. If it was just a normal thing you could roll the damage untargeted, right click to select half and then drag the result onto the target (or you could click the half button on the modifiers dialog whilst rolling damage). However you have the added kink here that the damage is a specific type and unlikely to be the type of damage that is initially dealt. You could create an effect which deals 1 necrotic damage, roll the damage dice untargeted into chat, work out how much half that is less 1 point and put that number in the modifier box and then apply the 1 point of necrotic damage with the modifier to the target. Same - but less maths - for the amplified version. Add the full damage less 1 point into the modifier box, and then use your 1 point damage effect to apply it.

Zodiac
July 2nd, 2019, 04:30
I had a feeling, thanks for clarifying.

What about some effect that states simply: if the enemy(target) deals damage to me(PC) it takes equal damage (add necrotic?). Something like that sounds like it could be done and even though it's not identical to the ability it's close enough to get a pass for the net effect.

damned
July 2nd, 2019, 04:57
Drag the damage roll back on to the attacker.

Zacchaeus
July 2nd, 2019, 09:49
I had a feeling, thanks for clarifying.

What about some effect that states simply: if the enemy(target) deals damage to me(PC) it takes equal damage (add necrotic?). Something like that sounds like it could be done and even though it's not identical to the ability it's close enough to get a pass for the net effect.

As I said originally this can't be done. The IF and IFT keywords can only be used with conditions or conditional operators. So you can test for things like IF: poisoned or IFT: TYPE (giant), but you can't test for IFT hit me and did damage. Even if you could test for that you can't then use the function to throw back a calculated amount of damage and also a different damage type than what was dealt. So you'll have to do it manually. You can use the method I outlined above or come up with your own way of doing it.