PDA

View Full Version : two 2E Ruleset operation Questions

Captcorajus
June 29th, 2019, 09:10
So two questions I have a bit of trouble working out and was hoping someone could enlighten me.
Token scale. I noticed that regardless of the size nomaclature, when I drag the tokens from the combat tracker to the grid, they are all the same size. In the 5E ruleset the tokens just scale automatically. Is there something I'm missing here?

The other thing is whenever I open one monster it replaces the monster I have open. This is a bit of a pain as frequently I might be copying text or something from one to the other or I'm using the 'formated' creature as a guideline for something I'm creating. Is there anyway to fix this? Thanks!

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2019, 10:08
In the first instance make sure that the map actually has a grid. Tokens should scale correctly and take up a number of squares depending on their size. Can you say what module/monsters you are using?

For the second question you need to hold down CTRL whilst opening anything (NPC,story, items etc) if you want the thing to open in a new window. By default a new item overwrites any existing one. (I'm not sure I like this myself either. I would prefer the default to open a new window and if you wanted holding CTRL overwrites the existing one - but having said that it may just take a little time to get used to the idea.)

Captcorajus
June 29th, 2019, 10:30
Thanks, that helps. the 'CTL' Thing helped me open up a seperate window. I guess I don't understand how the scaling works for 2E it seems off, as I'm use to 5E scaling. The dracolich says 48' base? but only opens up for 2 x 2 squares? Is there a setting for scale I'm missing?

Captcorajus
June 29th, 2019, 10:36
The Abashi baatzu says size L but it only opens up to one square? I really don't get how its suppose to work.

Zacchaeus
June 29th, 2019, 10:49
I'm not sure 2e ever had rules for using grids; so I guess that it looks like there are only two sizes really. 1 tile for large and smaller creatures and everything else is 4 tiles. Not every creature even has a size by the looks of it so that makes it even more of an issue.

celestian
June 29th, 2019, 17:29
The Abashi baatzu says size L but it only opens up to one square? I really don't get how its suppose to work.

Creatures sized greater than large get upscaled tokens. I only did that because it made sense to me. Also keep in mind that AD&D uses (typically) a 10ft grid scale and assumes that's what is used. Various authors for FG modules for AD&D might use 5ft size but to the ruleset it's just a unit, so a 5ft square is same as a 10ft square.

Currently there are no specific token rules for the content released.

So, if you want a 2x2 you can set the size to something greater than large (giant, huge/etc). Keep in mind it is based on the size NAME not the actual 48ft or 12ft, if the size says "Large, 500ft" it will only be 1 square because it's just "large" in the name.

Does that answer the question?

JohnD
June 29th, 2019, 17:57
What is the progression?

S/M and L are 1x1 square.
Huge is 2x2 squares (?).
What is 3x3 and 4x4?

celestian
June 29th, 2019, 18:00
What is the progression?

S/M and L are 1x1 square.
Huge is 2x2 squares (?).
What is 3x3 and 4x4?

Right now there is only 2 token size settings. Bigger than "large" is 2x2, everything else is 1x1.