PDA

View Full Version : LFP Sundays 2PM CST USA 5E City of Brass (Paid Game, $10 per session)

bwatford
June 21st, 2019, 19:40
https://i1.wp.com/froggodgames.com/frogs/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/Cover-City-of-Brass-5e-PDF-1.jpg?fit=612%2C792&ssl=1

FG License Type: Ultimate
Game System: D&D 5th Edition
Calendar: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=3528

Time Zone: Central Time USA
Day of week and time: Every other Sunday from 1pm - 5pm
If new game, planned start date: August 4th, 2019
Planned Duration & Frequency: 4 Hour session, complete 1-20 campaign
Term: Paid, $10 per player, per session (via PayPal or Credit card), Session 0 and Session 1 is free.

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: Discord
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50 (Heavy Investigation, Intrigue, Planar)
Number of Players in game & needed: 4-6
Character starting level & equipment: 1

Available Books: All WotC Hardcovers (PHB, Sword Coast, Volo's, etc.). NO UA. (Don't Ask), No Flying Races, No Variant Humans (feats will be very limited in this game.)
Alignment Requirement: No Evil
Starting Equipment: You must buy all equipment, starting gold is below based on your class.
Barbarian (50gp)
Paladin (120gp)
Bard (120gp)
Ranger (120gp)
Cleric (120gp)
Rogue (100gp)
Druid (50gp)
Sorcerer (70gp)
Fighter (120gp)
Wizard (100gp)
Monk (12gp)
Warlock (100gp)

Plus ALL characters begin play with a riding horse and a ridding saddle. Feel free to name your horse.

Ability Scores: Ability scores can be generated using the 27 point buy as featured in the PHB.

Hit Points: Maximum at 1st level, average each additional level.

Backgrounds: Choose a background as normal. (No equipment comes from background or class as all equipment must be purchased.)

Mechanics: Mechanically, this will be standard point-buy with 27 points. I strongly disfavor stat dumps, especially Charisma, without appropriate story justification. I also disfavor gimmicky characters. Considerably more effort should be on the personality, flavor and behavior of the character than on the mechanics themselves.

There are also house rules and campaign materials that are in effect for this campaign that change some of the 5e game mechanics. I will give those out to interested parties before character creation.

Details of your scenario: Beginning with low-level challenges in the familiar confines of the Lost Lands, the adventure leads characters on a thrilling journey through multiple planes of existence culminating in the exploration of the City of Brass itself. The gleaming towers and floating platforms of the city hold terrors and wonders such as the Great Repository and the Minaret of Screams. Characters may choose to take a turn in the Circus of Pain, raid the floating Pyramid of Set, or join the resistance to the Sultan’s oppressive rule and lead an assault on the palace itself! A phoenix rises fully formed from the ashes of the past. The City of Brass is re-imagined for the new renaissance of fantasy role playing games, brought to you in the epic style of old school fantasy campaigns of yesteryear.

Starting Synopsis: The adventures in this campaign have the opportunity to begin with 1st-level characters solving a problem in their local neighborhood. They all start out working for a investigation company inside the grand city of Bard's Gate in the Lost Lands. They are quickly dispatched a few hundred miles to the northeast of Bard's Gate to the Barony of Lornedain where they are to get to the bottom of complaints of missing children and a sheriff that is either ill equipped or unwilling to do anything about it. They will start their investigation at the village of Lornedain.

Through diligence, luck, and sleuthing, they discover a deeper plot hidden just under the veil of hearth and home. Through the course of that adventure, they discover a greater menace and that their universe is much larger and more complex than they could have possibly imagined. Their pursuit of justice leads them farther down the rabbit hole to new cities and new foes. Their adventures culminate and transports the characters to the Plane of Molten Skies, where the second leg of their journey begins......

Other Things of Note:
- This adventure will be run in an old school gaming style. Don't expect long rest to auto heal. Shields shall be splintered in battle and armor broken. Lingering injuries do and will happen.

- Expect your actions to have consequences. Don't be stupid. Play smart. If I give you lots of hints that opening the box will unleash fiery death. Don't open the box and expect to live.

- I'm a story teller, the rule of cool applies. If it's cool, cinematic and epic, screw the rules- I'll probably allow it. If this grates against your rules lawyer soul...we are not meant to play together.

GM Info: Hi there! It's Billy Watford. I’ve been GMing (DMing, Storytelling, what have you) for these last 30+ years, and gaming a touch longer. I’ve run what feels like hundreds of adventures via Paizo, WotC, TSR over the years and have currently many games running both in person, on Fantasy Grounds and ten campaigns running pbp on Myth-Weavers. Yes I pretty much do this full time.

My GMing style focuses more on what makes a good story, and less on things like exploiting the loopholes in rules to their fullest. I like characters that are cards to begin with, but I LOVE characters that develop over the course of a game. Don’t make me deal with two-dimensional characters that have one annoying trait they exploit over and over, and I won’t have to make a tarrasque show up. Deal? Deal.

Interested?
Send me a PM and we can discuss getting you a seat at the table. Have questions? Then post them below and I will be glad to answer them.

https://www.kingdomofmorrain.com/Brass/sultan.jpg

The Sultan bids you welcome...

bwatford
June 22nd, 2019, 16:16
I have been asked about the house rules for this game by multiple people. Posting them here for ease of access. Thanks for the interest.

Long Rests Don’t Auto-Heal!

This is the “Slow Natural Healing” rule from the Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 267.

The long rest is still an 8-hour period of extended downtime, as described in the Player’s Handbook on page 186. Characters don’t, however, automatically regain all lost hit points at the end of a long rest. Instead, the hero can spend Hit Dice to heal at the end of a long rest, just like they can during a short rest. This healing still requires the use of bandages so a single use of a healer's kit is required to burn hitdice after a long rest.

Each character still regains spent Hit Dice (up to a number of dice equal to half their total Hit Dice) at the end of the long rest. If it seems appropriate, I might allow this to happen BEFORE they are spent for healing… but it’s really depends on the situation.

Sometimes, I might be generous and award you a full Hit Point recovery after a long rest – for example, after staying in a completely safe and comfy inn instead of resting on the road – but it’s totally at my discretion based on the situation you are resting in. However pestering me about this will tend to make this less likely, however.

Using Hitdice to heal!

Bandages Needed!

A character can’t spend any Hit Dice after finishing a short or long rest until someone expends one use of a healer’s kit to bandage and treat a character’s wounds.

Critical Hits and Breaking Armor!

Some armor is better than no armor!

Armor is great! It also gets battered and, from time to time, breaks. Your AC works just as described in the Player’s Handbook, meaning that armor usually makes you harder to hit, but there is an additional rule. Every time you take damage from a critical hit (usually a natural 20 on the attack roll), your Armor Class is reduced by 1. The armor has been damaged. If the armor’s base AC value is reduced to 10, then the armor is ruined and must be discarded. Thus, for example, a heroine wearing a chain shirt (13 + Dex modifier) can suffer three critical hits before her armor is ruined. She still gets to add her Dexterity modifier to her AC, but the armor is of no further use.

Armor that is not ruined can be repaired – I will decide what the cost of such armory services might be in the local community – if you can find a suitably trained armorer. Sometimes the costs are very high depending on the competition.

This rule affects magic armor, such as from a Mage Armor spell, too. Magical armor (such as +1 suits of armor) is never broken by crits, and cannot be reduced below an AC equal to 10 + the bonus of the armor. Thus, for example, +1 Leather cannot be reduced below AC 11.

If you have a armor point to absorb a critical hit then the damage done is as per the critical in the PHB (Roll all damage dice twice, plus modifier once.)

If you do not have a armor point available (shields do not count) then the damage done by a critical hit is calculated by maximizing the initial damage and then rolling the die again. In other words if your weapon normally does 1d8+3 slashing damage, then on a critical hit against an unarmored opponent the damage would be 11 (the maximum normal damage) + 1d8.

Against beast and other creatures with naturally tough hide (AC above 10) then it works the same as above as far as reducing its AC with a critical hit until it is considered unarmored (AC 10 + dex)

In the case of a critical hit against a class that has unarmored defense or another feature that sets their AC to a certain amount above AC 10 when not wearing any armor. The AC modifier of -1 will still apply until they reach a AC of 10 + dex as their defenses are worn down. This 'simulated' armor damage repairs itself at the rate of 1 point per short/long rest.

Player Skill Over PC Skill

Role over Roll!

Ok, so I realize that your character might have a very high investigation skill, or he has arcana knowledge out of the whazoo, or even has the best persuasion modifier in all the Lost Lands.

It doesn't matter. I do not want to see a single skill check rolled in this game by a single player. NOT ONE.

D&D has always had attribute or skill checks. Want to persuade a guard to let you in to see the Lord Mayor? That's a Charisma check in an old school game. Want to do it in 5e? That's a Persuasion (Cha) check. There's no difference.

The only difference lies in how the DM handles the scene.

I want your character to talk to the guard, plan out your argument (player skill) and put it into play. If I think you have a justification to see the Lord Mayor and you role-play that justification, then I don't need to make you roll the dice. You just get to go in based on how well you played the scene and how convincing of your argument.

On the other hand, if you're just trying to bullshit your way in and your argument is less convincing? Well, then perhaps I need to make a Charisma check for you, or an insight check for the guard. I will roll that in secret.

Likewise, I never ever want to see the phrase, I search the room. That is a cop out that leads to a rolling of the dice. NEVER EVER will I let that work. You need to describe in character, exactly what your actions are, i.e. "I move slowly toward the desk and rummage about the contents on it, to see what lies atop. I then open each drawer slowly and methodically searching through each, then I will remove each one to check for a false bottom."

Isn't that much better than, I search the room.... roll the dice.

If I need a check from you, I will roll one. I have your modifiers right in front of me.

Story over dice. Always.

Death and Dying

Where you going? Don't run away now!

In the unfortunate event that your character dies and cannot be brought back, any replacement characters will come into the game at 1 level lower than the character that died.

Feats, Stat Boosts and Magical Items

This campaign will rely more heavily on magical items and relics found for advancement of power than a normal 5e game.

Magic will also be more mysterious and have more of a hands on, trial and error approach if not using identify. Potions will be completely non-magical and be 100% alchemical in nature, with ways to identify them by things learned or by using alchemy tools.

That being said, we will not be using feats as an option for the ASI increase at levels 4,8,12,16, etc. (You still get your ASI however)

However feats will be available to take in the place of bonus ASI boost such as the fighter gets at 6th and 14th.

The number of magical items that you can be attuned to will also be increased from 3 to 5.

Identifying Magic Items

What does that thing do?

Common Items
(Identify automatic upon examining them.)
These are usually common items like healing potions and low level scrolls. Most all villages, towns and cities have magic shops that sell and buy these type of items commonly.

Uncommon Items
(Concentrate On Them During a Short or Long Rest - INT Arcana Check DC 15) or (Identify Spell - Requires a pearl of 100gp value NOT Consumed on Use.)
These are minor rings, staves, wands and other items including +1 enchanted weapons.

Rare Items
(Concentrate On Them During a Long Rest - INT Arcana Check DC 20) or (Identify Spell - Requires a pearl of 100gp value Consumed on Use. CONSUMED ON USE)

Very Rare Items
(Identify Spell - Requires a pearl of 500gp value CONSUMED on Use.)

Legendary Items
(Identify Spell - Requires a pearl worth 1,000gp in value. CONSUMED on Use.)

Identifying Potions

Drink Up!

Potions are alchemical creation and will not register with detect magic and can not be identified with the identify spell.
Examining a potion when trying to identify it requires you to both smell and taste the liquid before applying other alchemical test (see below.)
Each type of potion will have a unique color, smell, taste, and texture to help with identification. A log book would be a good idea in game.

Common Potions
(Identify automatic upon examining them.)
These are regular healing potions and climbing potions. They are the only two with common rarity.

Uncommon Potions
(Examine Them During a Short or Long Rest - Intelligence Check DC 15) Examining them requires a set of alchemist's supplies and a place to set them up. A table, workbench, etc. You must be proficient with alchemist's supplies to identify a potion in this way. You may add your proficiency bonus to this check.

Rare Potions
(Examine Them During a Short or Long Rest - Intelligence Check DC 20) Examining them requires a set of alchemist's supplies and a place to set them up. A table, workbench, etc. You must be proficient with alchemist's supplies to identify a potion in this way. You may add your proficiency bonus to this check.

Very Rare & Legendary Potions
There is no known way to identify a very rare potion or legendary potion other than by drinking it.

bwatford
June 22nd, 2019, 16:17
Lingering Injuries

STOP! Don't pick that scab!

Your character might suffer a lingering injury when the following occurs:

1. When your character is struck by a critical hit while your character is incapacitated.

2. Your character is reduced to 0 hit points.

3. Your character rolls a 1 on a saving throw against a spell (except a cantrip), magical, or trap effect that deals damage to you.

Ok I qualify for one of the above, so what happens now?

When you suffer an effect that would cause you to roll for a lingering injury, first the DM will roll a d20. If the roll is a 1-9, he will then roll on the Lingering Injuries table below as normal. If you roll a 10-20, the effect does not cause you to suffer a lingering injury.

d100 Lingering Injury Table

1 Lose an Eye.
You have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight and on ranged attack rolls. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost eye. If you have no eyes left after sustaining this injury, you're blinded.

2 Lose an Arm or a Hand.
Roll a d6, 1-2 left hand, 3-4 right hand, 5 left arm, 6 right arm.
You can no longer hold anything with two hands, and you can hold only a single object at a time. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost appendage.

3 Lose a Foot or Leg.
Roll a d6, 1-2 left foot, 3-4 right foot, 5 left leg, 6 right leg.
Your walking speed is halved and you must use a cane or crutch to move unless you have a peg leg or other prosthesis. The cane requires one of your hands to be used strictly for that purpose. You fall prone after using the Dash action. You have disadvantage on Dexterity checks made to balance. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost appendage.

4-5 Lose an Ear.
You have disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing. You have advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost ear.

6-7 Lose Nose.
You have disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks and Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell. You have advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost nose.

8-15 Blurred Vision.
You have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight and on ranged attack rolls. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, the injury heals after you spend three days doing nothing but resting.

16-20 Broken Arm or Hand.
Roll a d6, 1-2 left hand, 3-4 right hand, 5 left arm, 6 right arm.
You can no longer hold anything with two hands, and you can hold only a single object at a time. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, the injury heals after someone sets the bone with a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check and you spend thirty days of not using that appendage.

21-25 Broken Foot or Leg.
Roll a d6, 1-2 left foot, 3-4 right foot, 5 left leg, 6 right leg.
Your walking speed is halved and you must use a cane or crutch to move. You fall prone after using the Dash action. You have disadvantage on Dexterity checks made to balance. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, the injury heals after someone sets the bone with a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check and you spend thirty days not using the appendage.

26-30 Ringing Ears.
You have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, the injury heals after you complete three long rest.

31-35 Limp.
Your walking speed is reduced by 5 feet. You must make a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw after using the Dash action. If you fail the save, you fall prone. Magical healing removes the limp.

36-40 Lose a Finger.
Roll a d10, 1-left pinky, 2-left ring, 3-left middle, 4-left index, 5-left thumb, 6-right thumb, 7-right index, 8-right middle, 9-right ring, 10-right pinky.
You have disadvantage on Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks and Dexterity checks to use fine tools (such as thieves' tools)
using the hand with which you lost the finger. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore the lost finger. If you lose all the fingers from one hand, then it functions as if you had lost a hand.

41-45 Break a Finger.
Roll a d10, 1-left pinky, 2-left ring, 3-left middle, 4-left index, 5-left thumb, 6-right thumb, 7-right index, 8-right middle, 9-right ring, 10-right pinky.
You have disadvantage on Dexterity (Sleight of Hand) checks and Dexterity checks to use fine tools (such as thieves' tools) using the hand with the broken finger. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, the injury heals after someone sets the finger with a DC 10 Wisdom (Medicine) check and you spend ten days not using the appendage.

46-50 Break an Item.
A randomly determined nonmagical item you hold, wear, or carry on your person is broken or ruined. Roll a d10. On a roll
of 1, the item broken is a weapon, on a roll of 2 the item is armor or a shield, and on a roll of 3-10 it is an item that's not a shield or weapon.

51-55 Teeth Knocked Out.
You have disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks. When you cast a spell with a verbal component there is a 25% chance the spell will not work. If the spell fails, you still used your action to try to cast it, but the spell did not use any slots or material components. Magic such as the regenerate spell can restore lost teeth.

56-60 Festering Wound.
Your hit point maximum is reduced by 1 every 24 hours the wound persists. If your hit point maximum drops to 0, you die. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, someone can tend to the wound and make a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check once every 24 hours. After ten success, the injury heals.

61-65 Open Wound.
You lose 1 hit point every hour the wound persists. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. Alternatively, someone can tend to the wound and make a DC 15 Wisdom (Medicine) check once every hour. After ten success, the injury heals.

66-70 Skull Fracture.
Whenever you attempt an action in combat, you must make a DC 20 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, you lose your action and can't use reactions until the start of your next turn. The injury heals if you receive magical healing or if you spend thirty days doing nothing but resting.

71-75 Punctured Lung.
You can take either an action or a bonus action or your turn, but not both. The injury heals if you receive magical healing. If you puncture both lungs your hit points drop to 0 and you immediately begin dying.

76-80 Internal Injury.
Whenever you attempt an action in combat, you must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, you lose
your action and can't use reactions until the start of your next turn. The injury heals if you receive magical healing or if you spend ten days doing nothing but resting.

81-85 Broken Ribs.
This has the same effect as Internal Injury above, except that the save DC is 10.

86-90 Horrible Scar. You have disadvantage on Charisma (Persuasion) checks and advantage on Charisma (Intimidation) checks. Magical healing of 6th level or higher, such as heal and regenerate, removes the injury.

91-95 Painful Scar.
You have a scar which gets painful whenever it rains, sleets, hails, or snows. Whenever you attempt an action in combat and your scar is giving you pain, you must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, you lose your action and can't use reactions until the start of your next turn. The injury heals if you receive magical healing.

96-100 Minor Scar.
The scar doesn't have any adverse effect, but chicks dig it. Magical healing of 6th level or higher, such as heal and regenerate, removes the scar.

** When a lingering injury states that it will go away when you receive magical healing, the healing must return you to full hitpoints or heal you for the amount of damage that was done when you received that injury. For example, you can not just eat a goodberry to stop a lingering injury.

bwatford
June 25th, 2019, 02:21
4 slots left.

bwatford
June 27th, 2019, 20:20
Only 2 slots left.

bwatford
July 1st, 2019, 08:51
Still have 2 slots available for this one

bwatford
July 4th, 2019, 17:44
Still looking for 2 more players.

bwatford
July 7th, 2019, 19:15
Only 1 slot left available.

bwatford
July 8th, 2019, 18:20
Game is full.

bwatford
July 18th, 2019, 06:38
Due to scheduling not working out, I actually have 2 slots still available for this game.

bwatford
July 22nd, 2019, 06:53
1 slot remaining.

bwatford
August 1st, 2019, 04:31
Still have 1 slot open.

bwatford
January 30th, 2020, 22:59
Need one replacement player for this one

Lodashy
February 1st, 2020, 13:01
How far in are you?

bwatford
February 1st, 2020, 15:55
@Lodashy

Thanks for your interest.

The group just wrapped up the investigation of the missing children/adults in the Barony of Lornedain and will be preparing to follow the clues to Eastgate to find (hopefully) more of the missing and to investigate the Brazen Spire that is said to have been erected there.

They are currently at Level 3 of a 1-20+ campaign.

Please let me know if you are interested in joining us.

bwatford
February 3rd, 2020, 06:39
Only one slot left