PDA

View Full Version : Translate for my own

Alkenix
June 20th, 2019, 13:03
Hey Folks.

I would like to translate even the character sheet for my group.
Is it possible or do I need to stop using FG and go to Roll20 or so?
Because thats a totally basic in my eyes.. but I have not found an "easy" way sadly...

Any recommendations? :confused:

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2019, 14:09
Depending on the language and ruleset that you need have a look at this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27202-LanguagePak-%2528LPak%2529-Community-Project-Program

Or this https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36627-Central-European-Languages-(CEL)-Fonts

Alkenix
June 20th, 2019, 14:22
I already found that and its WAY to complex for someone who wants to just translate his character sheet.
So there is no way to do it ingame, maybe chosen by the players?
Thats pretty lame and tells me how old and unflexible FG really is.. :/

So I'm going to switch to roll20 soon. I can create an sheet easy there and share it with my group..
Thanks anyway.

Zacchaeus
June 20th, 2019, 15:07
You can't do it in game, no. And everyone would need to be using the same language since you would need an extension and only the host can select extensions.

What language is it that you need? And was there not already an extension for that language inthe LPak?

Alkenix
June 20th, 2019, 15:12
Yeah, but I could share my premade sheet with my players as I do with tokens or modules.
Thats why I dont understand the complexibility.

I want to translate my skills into german. It feels slappy and stops the fantasy when we must translate it with google first or need to check a list in front of us (thats how i translate it right now..).
There is an extension but its not up to date. When I put it into my ext. folger I only get an X instead of an chance to activate it.
Dunno why I cant even use the old version..Cuz the char-sheet wont have been changed till now..?

Trenloe
June 20th, 2019, 15:20
I already found that and its WAY to complex for someone who wants to just translate his character sheet.
So there is no way to do it ingame, maybe chosen by the players?
Thats pretty lame and tells me how old and unflexible FG really is.. :/

So I'm going to switch to roll20 soon. I can create an sheet easy there and share it with my group..
What steps are required to translate the character sheet?

1) Look at all the character sheet strings you want to translate.
2) Change them to what you want them to be.
3) Create a very simple extension that has the translated strings.
4) Load that extension when you want to use the translations and the players will automatically use it.

Other than step #3 (which is very simple - you can use one of the language packs as an example), this would be pretty close to what you'd have to do in roll20.

And you think this approach is old? This is pretty much a standard approach to translation - having all of the strings in a single file, using industry standard XML, where you can go an do all the translation in one place - you don't even need to edit the GUI.

FG is flexible, it is just that changing the strings from English -> whatever is in a different place than in roll20. As I say, which is more of a standardized way of translation rather than having to create a sheet within the GUI.

If the above isn't for you and this is your main gripe with using Fantasy Grounds, and you think this will be easier/better for you in roll20 - are you really going to switch just because of this? I think you're missing the main differences in features/functionality between the two VTTs and I'd recommend you look a litter deeper than just making your choice to switch based on this.

Trenloe
June 20th, 2019, 15:27
I want to translate my skills into german. It feels slappy and stops the fantasy when we must translate it with google first or need to check a list in front of us (thats how i translate it right now..).
There is an extension but its not up to date. When I put it into my ext. folger I only get an X instead of an chance to activate it.
Dunno why I cant even use the old version..Cuz the char-sheet wont have been changed till now..?
Assuming you're referring to D&D 5E here?

If so, I can load the LPak-German-5E.ext file found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27202-LanguagePak-(LPak)-Community-Project-Program&p=245051&viewfull=1#post245051 I don't get a red X.

The red X indicates that the extension pre-reqs aren't met - either the CoreRPG language pack extension is not installed and activated and/or the base ruleset (5E) is not at the minimum version required. The minimum level required for the extension is 5E v3.3.1.

What version of the base ruleset are you using? You can see this by starting up a 5E campaign and looking at the version reported in the chat window.

Alkenix
June 20th, 2019, 15:37
5E ruleset v3.3.7A for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2015 Smiteworks USA, LLC

CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.7 for Fantasy Grounds

I tried this: File Type: ext LPak-German-5E.ext (1.17 MB, 77 views)
and this: File Type: ext LPak-German-Numenera.ext (119.3 KB, 33 views)

Trenloe
June 20th, 2019, 15:46
5E ruleset v3.3.7A for Fantasy Grounds

CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.7 for Fantasy Grounds

I tried this: File Type: ext LPak-German-5E.ext (1.17 MB, 77 views)
and this: File Type: ext LPak-German-Numenera.ext (119.3 KB, 33 views)
The versions look good.

You need to download and activate the CoreRPG language pack as well as the 5E one (5E runs on top of CoreRPG). Download an activate LPak-German-CoreRPG.ext from the same post you got LPak-German-5E.ext from.

Targas
June 20th, 2019, 15:52
I translated all skill a year ago, but found it difficult to use. Not only I had both english & german skills in the sheet, but you need to know that automation (e.g. using level advancement) refers to the english wording. Therefore we just continued with the english skill names instead. No big deal anyway.

Trenloe
June 20th, 2019, 15:55
Not only I had both english & german skills in the sheet...
This is for characters created when the extension was not enabled - if you create a new character after enabling the extensions you'll just get the skills in German.

... but you need to know that automation (e.g. using level advancement) refers to the english wording.
Yeah, some aspects of automation do unfortunately check for the skill names in English.

Alkenix
June 20th, 2019, 16:00
Well I did like Trenloe wrote in his last post and it finally works. *smile*
Ok.. My Players need to migrate their characters into the new sheet if they want to use it but thats no big deal.
Anyway.. I must thank you alot for the help and kindness!

When I got admins here.. Cant wait for your Unity Version to step into open beta or even get released.
You will kill Roll20 with that for me.. ^^"

Have a great day.