PDA

View Full Version : Alien RPG Ruleset

JimSocks
June 19th, 2019, 20:49
STOP YOUR GRINNIN AND DROP YOUR LINEN!

Is anyone else SUPER excited about this!?!?

https://youtu.be/U1vScrfVzQg

https://youtu.be/jOPZOr2ouVk

https://alien-rpg.com/

For REAL, if there is a ruleset made for FG for this, it WILL be my JAM for awhile to GM (or.. MUTHR... LOL)

PLEASE tell me one of you FG junkies that develops rulesets is stoked to jump on this ASAP come December!!!! PLEEEEASE?

GunbunnyFuFu
June 19th, 2019, 21:44
They've got a supplement for the Cepheus Engine/Mongoose Traveler that is very, very similar to Alien, including the Xenomorphs. It can be found here:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/228492/Hostile

Of course, not identical to the Alien RPG but enough to run it in the Traveler ruleset currently.

GBFF

JimSocks
June 20th, 2019, 02:25
You are right, that looks similar, but it isn't a ruleset for FG? I am looking for a ruleset that will allow me to play Alien when it releases on FG. I don't see Cepheus Engine/Mongoose Traveler in my list of rulesets when I try to start a new campaign?

GunbunnyFuFu
June 20th, 2019, 02:28
Mongoose Traveler 1E is a ruleset for FG, purchasable on the FG Store...https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=MGP3800TRVMG1E

GunbunnyFuFu
June 20th, 2019, 02:29
That being said, the Hostile book isn't available on the store, but it's like...95% fluff. And the Alien Breed PDF from Zozer Games contain the necessary Xenomorph stats.

dulux-oz
June 20th, 2019, 04:30
People are aware that the Alien RPG was originally released in 1986, aren't they? :(

(I know, because I own a copy, and because doing a FG Ruleset for Alienm RPG is on my list of "To Do Stuff". :) )

Just sayin'

Valarian
June 20th, 2019, 07:14
People are aware that the Alien RPG was originally released in 1986, aren't they? :(

(I know, because I own a copy, and because doing a FG Ruleset for Alienm RPG is on my list of "To Do Stuff". :) )

Just sayin'

There's a new Alien roleplaying game (https://frialigan.se/en/alien/)coming out from Free League Publishing. This isn't the Phoenix Command version.

The rules of the game are based on the acclaimed Year Zero Engine, used in award-winning games such as Tales from the Loop and Mutant: Year Zero, but adapted and further developed to fully support and enhance the core themes of ALIEN: horror and action in the cold darkness of space.

JimSocks
June 20th, 2019, 10:21
Yeah- it has different stats on the character sheets than the Traveller ruleset comes with, and two differing sets of D6 dice (one for base, and one for stress). Honestly, I would imagine it's not even possible for one player to roll two differently colored dice in FG... Kind of a bummer. I am thinking of trying to alter the stats on the character sheet though, but it's way outside my wheelhouse as of right now. It sounds like a big project after reading the forums and wiki.

dulux-oz
June 20th, 2019, 12:30
There's a new Alien roleplaying game (https://frialigan.se/en/alien/)coming out from Free League Publishing. This isn't the Phoenix Command version.

Yes, I realize that - I was just drawing peoples' attention / taking a trip down memory lane

hence the "just sayin'" :)

Trenloe
June 20th, 2019, 15:34
I would imagine it's not even possible for one player to roll two differently colored dice in FG...
You don't see the different colours on the physical 3d dice as they roll, but you can program FG to show different coloured dice in the roll result in the chat window.

Quite a few rulesets do this. For example:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27633

damned
June 21st, 2019, 01:34
Aye - additional colour dice are added to CoreRPG in 3.3.8 and MoreCore has many different coloured dice too. Rolls like WEG d6 and Fantasy Age Stunt and Open Legend use different coloured dice in the rolls.

nodskou1971
June 23rd, 2019, 18:20
That sounds bloody awesome! Any ideas to when the ruleset will be done?:o

LordEntrails
June 23rd, 2019, 19:29
That sounds bloody awesome! Any ideas to when the ruleset will be done?:o
Welcome to the forums :)

Umm, I just reread the thread, no one said they are working on a ruleset for the new Alien RPG. Dulux said he has a ruleset for the old Alien RPG on his to do list. But I know Dulux's list is very long and he's had health issues of late. It could be anywhere from 6 months to 6 years. That said, you never need a dedicated ruleset to run any game. You can use CoreRPG, MoreCore or DORCore and make your own character sheets and get playing.

Valyar
June 24th, 2019, 11:28
I started working on extension for Alien RPG based on the Forbidden Lands one I maintain, but work and some other out of office activities forced me to park it for the moment.
If the summer turns out as I hope, I might be able to work on framework for the Fria Ligan games and enhance based on the extension, in similar way Savage Worlds is working today. But time will tell. For the moment I am not much motivated by the "trial and error" model for developing a ruleset, but who know what future will bring. :)

Voxpopuli
June 28th, 2019, 00:39
Hey all,

Very exited about the new Alien RPG. I have pre-order the full game for a delivery in December 2019. In the meantime, I got from Fria Ligan a 168 pages PDF Cinematic Starter kit that details the rules for single session scenarios:

A Cinematic scenario emulates the dramatic arc of an ALIEN film. Designed to be played in a single session, this game mode emphasizes high stakes and fast and brutal play. Conflict between player characters is likely, and you are not all expected to survive.In fact, most of your PCs probably won’t live to see the end of the scenario. One such Cinematic scenario, Chariot of the Gods, is included in this Cinematic Starter Kit. This pre-generated scenario provides all the tools necessary to run your first ALIEN role playing game, and it’s a fun and easy way to learn how to play and tell your own stories on the Frontier. More Cinematic scenarios will be published by Free League Publishing in the years to come.

The core rules for the campaign will be release in December 2019.

Valarian
June 28th, 2019, 13:29
That said, you never need a dedicated ruleset to run any game. You can use CoreRPG, MoreCore or DORCore and make your own character sheets and get playing.
The following MoreCore dice commands should work for the Skill and Stress dice.

Success/Fail: /sfdice #d#s#f# (roll #dice, count #s[Success] and #f[Fail])
Count Successes: /successes #d#x# (roll #dice and count #+)

Voxpopuli
June 28th, 2019, 14:17
Thanks Valerian for the info about the dice. I never used MoreCore, I will try to school myself this week-end!

pr6i6e6st
June 29th, 2019, 23:52
Hey, if anyone gets a start on this, I’m working on graphics for it. Planned to take a wack at coding but if someone is already underway, I could help. I’m not awesome at programming, and would avoid it if possible.

The Canterbury Tail
June 30th, 2019, 00:35

Just sayin'

/cough 1991 for the Aliens Adventure Game RPG. 1986 was the Aliens movie.

pr6i6e6st
July 29th, 2019, 19:33
i've been working on something, here's what i've got so far. it's an extension for CoreRPG. should have the dice, character sheet and some graphics. it's not fully functional and there's an extra tab that i mean to try to get some graphics and attributes into but i'm not done yet.

The new dice are found in the d6 custom dice radial menu.

UPDATE: got the number of dice fixed up! whoo!

<windowclass name="charsheet_main2">
<margins control="0,0,0,3" />
<script>

</script>
<sheetdata>
<attributes name="attributes">
<bounds>140,200,-122,170</bounds>
</attributes>
<basicnumber name="strengthnum" source="charstrnum">
<min>0</min>
<max>5</max>
<anchored to="attributes">
<position>insidetop</position>
</anchored>
<bounds>253,220,-234,25</bounds>
</basicnumber>
<basicnumber name="empathynum" source="charempnum">
<min>0</min>
<max>5</max>
</anchored>
<bounds>253,324,-234,25</bounds>
</basicnumber>
<basicnumber name="witsnum" source="charwitsnum">
<min>0</min>
<max>5</max>
</anchored>
<bounds>310,274,-179,25</bounds>
</basicnumber>
<basicnumber name="agilitynum" source="charagilnum">
<min>0</min>
<max>5</max>
</anchored>
<bounds>197,274,-290,25</bounds>
</basicnumber>

<basicdice name="strengthroll" source="strengthroll">
<anchored to="strengthnum" position="below" offset="0,5,0,0" width="30" height="20" />
<frame name="fielddark" offset="7,5,7,5" />
<script>
</script>
</basicdice>
<basicdice name="witsroll" source="witsroll">
<anchored to="witsnum" position="above" offset="0,5,0,0" width="30" height="20" />
<script>
</script>
</basicdice>
<basicdice name="empathyroll" source="empathyroll">
<anchored to="empathynum" position="above" offset="0,5,0,0" width="30" height="20" />
<script>
</script>
</basicdice>
<basicdice name="agilityroll" source="agilityroll">
<anchored to="agilitynum" position="below" offset="0,5,0,0" width="30" height="20" />
<script>
</script>
</basicdice>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

JimSocks
July 30th, 2019, 14:39
YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! Honestly this extension you have created is completely awesome. We will be running the game for the first time this Friday and I will absolutely be using this

pr6i6e6st
July 30th, 2019, 17:13
Thank you, I honestly have minimal experience with coding (a bit of HTML, a touch of actionscript in flash animations, and a lot of “Project Spark” when it still breathed life) thus a lot of this is ripped from the Mutant Year Zero extension which combines a few other extensions. So I definitely can’t take all the credit.

I can’t seem to grasp scripting yet, and only last night kind of understand frames. Hopefully I can improve functionality. I’m trying to use the shadowrun 4e ruleset found on here to extrapolate how they did their attributes, but I’m struggling lol.

Voxpopuli
July 30th, 2019, 21:33
Very much appreciated! Thanks for all your efforts!

pr6i6e6st
July 30th, 2019, 22:34
I’ll try to have the new main sheet done up a bit more before tomorrow, I’ve got the frames set up, I just need to add the dice and number boxes.

I’ll post the update when that’s done, but I’ll still need to work on scripting, so they currently don’t say the name of the skill/attribute being rolled, nor will the skills automatically calculate their base attribute.

pr6i6e6st
July 31st, 2019, 08:02
ok, updated back on page 2, post 20. it's coming along, but still can't figure out scripting, i guess. so we'll be waiting a while for any real automation.

damned
July 31st, 2019, 08:25
ok, updated back on page 2, post 20. it's coming along, but still can't figure out scripting, i guess. so we'll be waiting a while for any real automation.

Unless you are already programming then it takes time to get your head around and work thru.
Take your time and keep plugging away at it as you can.

Oladahn
June 26th, 2020, 13:44
/cough 1991 for the Aliens Adventure Game RPG. 1986 was the Aliens movie.

I know this is an old thread but rather than start a new one on the same subject I thought I'd post here.
I would very much like to see some of the Leading Edge games on Fantasy Grounds. Aliens, Living Steel, and Phoenix Command.
I very much enjoyed running the Aliens system although it was quite a complex system. I think this is where Fantasy Grounds would excel, a lot of the faff involved in rolling for this, that and the other would be handled by the system.
Maybe I could finally finish my scenario where the marines get sent to a planet where communication has been lost with a research lab. To find that something has gone seriously wrong and that they are facing mutant giant mosquitoes, crabs, wasps etc.