PDA

View Full Version : What your signed up for

Dedeko
September 25th, 2006, 17:40
I was wondering, what the norm is for how many online and offline sessions of D&D the typical players does here. I signed up for 3 so far, and waiting for 1 of them to start.

How many games are you signed up for at any 1 moment? Online? Offline?

Chrystallis
September 25th, 2006, 18:36
I'd say as long as they don't create conflicts with each other, and you feel comfortable switching from game to game, sign up for as many as you want. :) I myself have only signed up for one so far, as that's the only one that interests me and works for me at the moment. :)

Toadwart
September 25th, 2006, 20:12
I DM one game fortnightly and play in another weekly.
Would be more but real-life keeps interfering with my plans.

/mood (shaking fist angrily at the world) Curse you reality!

Stuart
September 25th, 2006, 23:57
/mood (shaking fist angrily at the world) Curse you reality!

I hear you ! :D
I manage 4 games a week as a DM ... but only just ... I only ever planned to run 2 long term but things kinda got out of control.

I now live in a shoebox on the M1 and have no money ... :(
Of course I kept up a broadband connection.:D

WolfStar76
September 27th, 2006, 20:50
I find that my time for playing over the 'net has diminished.

Instead I'm running RPGA sessions at a retail game store. :)

BaldMike
September 28th, 2006, 23:42
I now live in a shoebox on the M1 and have no money ... :(
Of course I kept up a broadband connection.:D

As a beneficiary of Stuart's hard work, I'm going to start a "lets buy Stuart a larger shoebox to live in fund!" :D

Mike

Snikle
September 29th, 2006, 19:19
Yeah, I have high regard for Stuart, not sure how he handles running so many games and still manage to get out of his shoebox to have a job/life/eat/shower/etc.

BaldMike
September 30th, 2006, 04:59
Snikle,

I think he somehow makes time for tea and rugby, not real sure where a shower ranks in his priorities...:D Hey, there's another plus for playing through FG, you don't have to smell the other players.

He does run a great campaign though! Wonder what I'll be rolling up after he reads this post...:eek:

Mike

P.S. - My apologies for hijacking this thread just a little bit.

Stuart
September 30th, 2006, 06:44
I think he somehow makes time for tea and rugby

MAKE time ? My dear boy ... there is ALWAYS time for tea and rugby. You colonials lost that ability when you a) dumped crates of good darjeeling into the Atlantic and b) took a perfectly good game and added armor plating, cheerleaders and ridiculously outfitted officials.:p

More seriously, thanks for the comments :o

I've posted before - I was lucky in the players that signed up and tho' I wanted a long running game I had no idea that there would be so many enthusiastic and committed players in the FG community. We have now ben playing for over a year and I think we are pretty close to notching up 100 FG sessions and approximately 400 hours of insanity.

Anybody worked out how many active games are running and the ratio of DM to players ? I think it high time that some sort of survey was done ... it would help us hugely at Digital to know what stuff is being played and the Uglies too. Both produce excellent maps, tokens, modules and rulesets (some free) ... are we producing enough of the right stuff ?

Anybody want to create a board for this ? Snikle ?

Kalan
October 1st, 2006, 22:57
Anybody worked out how many active games are running and the ratio of DM to players ? I think it high time that some sort of survey was done ... it would help us hugely at Digital to know what stuff is being played and the Uglies too. Both produce excellent maps, tokens, modules and rulesets (some free) ... are we producing enough of the right stuff ?

Anybody want to create a board for this ? Snikle ?

I think this is a great idea actually Stuart - I know it'll help ME lots with some of the planning on what I wanna do once some of my current projects are done with. tho fair warning - I prefer doing Urban Fantasy style stuff - so anythin I do will likely be flavoured that way ;)

Sigurd
October 2nd, 2006, 00:40

We are the autonomous, underground, hidden, super-secret, anonymous game players of the world! You will never know our numbers, our habits, or our favorite colour!

Seriously, the autonomy is one of the best feature of this software. Ask you questionnaires poll your polls but don't try to track us.

Hold something too tight and it will fall from your grasp!

Stuart
October 2nd, 2006, 06:35
Thanks for the help ... :(

Dedeko
October 2nd, 2006, 07:07
Getting a good number of those people would be very hard

BaldMike
October 3rd, 2006, 01:21
We are the autonomous, underground, hidden, super-secret, anonymous game players of the world! You will never know our numbers, our habits, or our favorite colour!

Seriously, the autonomy is one of the best feature of this software. Ask you questionnaires poll your polls but don't try to track us.

Hold something too tight and it will fall from your grasp!

Although I will not engage in a debate between American Football and Rugby - I happen to enjoy both but probably prefer "soccer" anymore - I do think Stuart has a good idea here Sigurd. By the way...if you were just kidding around, then ignore the rest of this post. :o

Autonomy is fine, paranoia is just, well... it was a really fun game to play but I digress. ;) I can't speak for other organizations but it is evident to me that guys like Stuart and all the good folks at FUM are doing what they do for the love of the game.

The tricks and treats they come up with I'm sure allow very little profit margin at this point and I see nothing wrong with pulling a little info together for their benefit. If nothing else, make it a poll so it's voluntary. We, the players, benefit as much as anyone else. As I recall, at many D&D sessions we ran the DM was comp'd munchies. Just because he loved all the extra work didn't mean we couldn't show some appreciation.

Keeping it light and friendly...just my opinion.

BaldMike

Snikle
October 3rd, 2006, 03:01
Thanks for nod, BaldMike, much appreciated. You are 100% correct, we do not see much profit from our efforts, and if you happen to have noticed recently we upgraded our forum to a professional product, which cost us a pretty penny. Much of what we get out of it, goes back into the site and community. And about football, all I have to say is.... "da Bears!"

I will set up a poll if you want Stuart, what would you like in the poll?

Oberoten
October 3rd, 2006, 08:44
BAH! Bloodbowl!

Stuart
October 6th, 2006, 19:42
Snikle - I really think a poll for DM's and players would help us produce maps, tokens, modules and rulesets that players and DM's *really* want. The investment in time is considerable and I'd really like to think that what we are doing is actually useful so ...

How about a poll or questionnaire that looks at

1) Genre : SciFi etc and genre's that lack support (horror ?)
2) Rulesystem used and rulesystems that lack support : Ars Magica etc
4) Token style
5) Tokens most often used/requested in "short supply" (Top-down Undead ?)
6) Maps needed/wanted - or that could be shared between DM's ? (Possibly an FUM created "map repository" ?)
7) Module's needed (town, dungeon etc and level), a fully integrated FG 2.0 tutorial module for lvl one characters and DM's for example ... FUM ?

Oberoten
October 6th, 2006, 21:45
*purrrs happily*

... my ever incesant whining about ArsMagica has had effect. People are asking about it, if nothing else to make me shut the fekt up.

Stuart
October 6th, 2006, 22:11
Oberoten - I have been playing Ars for quite some time by email; stopped about three years ago so ... finish your ruleset please !

Oberoten
October 6th, 2006, 22:18
I will. :)

Love the system. It is fast, flexible and quite realistic.

Modified it a bit and it works a treat for modern games as well. And for the WW2 campaign we are runing.

Casuaities so far :
1 NPC crewed tank - Germans
1 PC crewed tank - Finns
1 PC sniper, a voulenteering Swede... Got in the blast radius of a bomb dropped by a Polikarpov 16 when it MISSED the bunker it was aiming for.
2 PCs that decided to try if a M2 equivalent COULD punch through early tanks, yes it could... just not fast enough that they couldn't fire back.

Curent Sub-Campaign : Finnish Winter-War with the options of playing Finn, German, Voulenteer... or not so voulentary Russian troop.

Snikle
October 7th, 2006, 00:19
5) Tokens most often used/requested in "short supply" (Top-down Undead ?)

Wait till you see all the undead in CP1 that Dev worked on, very very nice. ;)

Working settting these poll/questionnaire up over at FUM.

Stuart
October 7th, 2006, 00:28
Thanks a ton Snikle - I really think this could make sure we *really* give players and DM's what they want and given what FG 2.0 seems to offer ... wow !